Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Those sound like a bunch of totally real things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Quorum posted:

If your only response to the sentiment "Obama was a good president and a good person" is wordless incredulity I don't know what to tell you man. I can acknowledge the bad poo poo while also believing that on balance Obama will be remembered as one of the better presidents in recent history; if nothing else he's definitely the classiest person to occupy the Oval Office in the past three decades.
"He's better than the other presidents in recent history" is a lot different from "he's a saint", given who the recent presidents are. I also believe that he will be remembered as one of the better presidents, because that's a low loving bar to clear.

greatn posted:

Edward Snowden is a moral and political coward who is only in his current position because of his own arrogance and stupidity. He's a willing tool of Russian hegemony and Putin legitimization, rather than facing justice for irreparable harm to US Intelligence.

Snowden is actually a hero who is constantly criticizing Russia, OP.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Reminder that Snowden is in Russia because that's where he happened to be when the US cancelled his passport. It's not because he's a spy working for the Russian government, you dolts.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

botany posted:

"He's better than the other presidents in recent history" is a lot different from "he's a saint", given who the recent presidents are. I also believe that he will be remembered as one of the better presidents, because that's a low loving bar to clear.

Sorry you don't understand hyperbole and/or direct comparisons with Donald Trump, I guess?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

What did he sow? Revealing the criminal work of the United States? Yeah, gently caress him!

He also sold a shitload of unrelated secrets to China and Russia. Somehow that keeps getting overlooked

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zegermans posted:

Did you know Obama spent $500 million dollars on a treadmill for shrimp?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

ugh democrats lost because they were mean to white rural republicans and called them stupid

*believes that every millenial is a stupid worthless layabout*

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

greatn posted:

Snowden reaps what he sows.(he's not going to be sentenced to death, there's no crime with that sentence he could be found guilty of)

Well, not yet.

Denzer
May 15, 2009

zegermans posted:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/09/colleges-try-to-comfort-students-upset-by-trump-victory/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Reminder that Snowden is in Russia because that's where he happened to be when the US cancelled his passport.

Because he forgot that you shouldn't tell the world you're behind a big intelligence leak before you get somewhere it's safe to stay, to be clear.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

QuarkJets posted:

He also sold a shitload of unrelated secrets to China and Russia. Somehow that keeps getting overlooked

Wait, what?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

Bing the gently caress O.

Also he was in Russia when they cancelled his passport because he was an idiot egomaniac who planned poorly and couldn't wait to out himself to get glory.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Main Paineframe posted:

Economics aren't missing, though. That's the whole problem with that theory. The Dems do have plans and policies to help poor white people. It's just that Fox News says they don't.
the medium truly is the message

quote:

Obama's presidency was pretty middle-of-the-road at best. He largely failed to overcome Congressional resistance and tended not to make the most of opportunities, and he cannibalized the Democratic machine and neglected the midterms to focus on the presidential elections. 2010 was a miserable year.
this is a more realistic view than is common. obama didnt have any major disasters or huge scandals like pretty much every president since ike, but he didnt realize he could use the bully pulpit way too late, or he was just less fond of deviating from bush's policies than he likes to let on

corn in the bible posted:

yes, you can run against the incumbent if you want. that's what george mcgovern did. it almost never works but it can happen
that aint quite how it happened
mcgovern ran in 72, when nixon was the wh incumbent

four years earlier kennedy and humphrey were in an open primary as lbj declared he wasnt seeking re-election so the dem had an open primary

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

[citation needed]

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

QuarkJets posted:

Probably because this never happened.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Wait, what?

Yeah, you didn't know this? Snowden had been collecting classified information from military systems for years. Most of what he stole was unrelated to surveillance

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tiberius Christ posted:

Have you maybe thought that they voted for Trump for other reasons?
They didn't vote against him. They didn't even just plain not vote for him. That is condoning a level of racism that should never be acceptable in public discourse. They are racists.

quote:

If we keep telling people they are wrong about their political views without explaining why and just jumping to calling them some label we'll never get votes. Doesn't help that the Dems have absolutely no policies that help with the loss of jobs, a secure retirement or fixing our infrastructure.
I am literally baffled by this. The platform is still up on Hillary's website! Her speeches haven't vanished from YouTube! And that's just the Presidential level. I don't understand what you're saying here, because it's completely non-factual.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Students upset by a loving fascist being elected to the highest office in the land?? How unreasonable and weak!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, you didn't know this? Snowden had been collecting classified information from military systems for years. Most of what he stole was unrelated to surveillance

now post a source for your claim that he sold poo poo to china and russia

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

Oliver Stone didn't put that part in the movie.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Economics aren't missing, though. That's the whole problem with that theory. The Dems do have plans and policies to help poor white people. It's just that Fox News says they don't.

the dems don't have economic changes that people believe in or believe will even help them. part of it is definitely a messaging problem (because the minute they push too hard for economic change the media jumps on them for challenging their masters) and part of it is a trust/reputation problem. new leadership and public battles will help regain that trust. focusing on messaging, media be damned, will help them too.

i don't have all the answers, i don't expect myself to, and i don't know exactly how to make it all better

but the fact is that business as usual democratic practices are not working. they're costing us state governments, congress, and the presidency. so we better figure out quickly how to make it all work.

obama was a lucky aberration in the death of the democratic party. we need to find a way to move on without him because its not going to happen again any time soon. i've watched about 14 years of democratic flailing. what we're doing isn't working. the New Democrat platform was dealt a crushing blow this election. we have to make something new out of it or we're just going to get the same results we've been getting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

QuarkJets posted:

Gonna need to see a source for this.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

disjoe posted:

We're going to learn a lot about who is with us and who is against us in the coming years.

We're Darth Vader now aren't we?

Edit: VVV In this brave, new world, only the, "7's and up, and that's a hard 7" will have a shoulder to cry on. VVV

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 11, 2016

Denzer
May 15, 2009
Oh it's behind a soft paywall;

quote:

Dozens of students at Cornell University gathered on a major campus thoroughfare for a “cry-in” to mourn the results of the 2016 presidential election Wednesday, with school staff providing tissues and hot chocolate.

At Tufts University, arts and crafts were on offer. And the University of Kansas reminded students via social media of the therapy dogs available for comfort every other Wednesday.

Colleges nationwide scrambled to help students process Republican Donald Trump’s stunning election victory. They’re acknowledging that many students were up late watching results and so may not be at their sharpest in early-morning lectures. More so, they’re responding to a widespread sense of shock and despair on campuses to the victory of a candidate who offended Mexicans, Gold Star mothers, Muslims and the disabled during the course of the campaign.

The touchy-feely approach won some catty comments from skeptics, calling students “snow-flakes” for their inability to handle the result. But schools said the concerns were real for many students.

“People are frustrated, people are just really sad and shocked,” said Trey Boynton, the director of multi-ethnic student affairs at the University of Michigan. “A lot of people are feeling like there has been a loss. We talked about grief today and about the loss of hope that this election would solidify the progress that was being made.”

There was a steady flow of students entering Ms. Boynton’s office Wednesday. They spent the day sprawled around the center, playing with Play-Doh and coloring in coloring books, as they sought comfort and distraction.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Whew thanks for confirming Murdock's video news with his print news

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

botany posted:

[citation needed]

I'm on my phone right now, otherwise I would flood you with links to the investigative reports revealing this and the media stories talking about it. Try Google

Seriously, why is this a surprise? If you were stealing secrets about a government surveillance system and planned on fleeing to Hong Kong, why would you not take everything that you possibly could?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

I'm on my phone right now, otherwise I would flood you with links to the investigative reports revealing this and the media stories talking about it. Try Google

Seriously, why is this a surprise? If you were stealing secrets about a government surveillance system and planned on fleeing to Hong Kong, why would you not take everything that you possibly could?

No go ahead, post sources.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Denzer posted:

In other words using the grief counseling services that were already available.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

"I would have so many sources it would make your head spin. Can't get them right now though. Look them up yourself."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Denzer posted:

What are you implying that we're supposed to think about this? People feel an existential threat and they are right.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quote:

The touchy-feely approach won some catty comments from skeptics, calling students “snow-flakes” for their inability to handle the result.
The touchy-feely approach won some catty comments from old white male skeptics, calling young minority students “snow-flakes” for their inability to handle the result.

edit: like, the goal here is that we're all laughing at the skeptics together, while also acknowledging that play-doh might not be the best coping mechanism but it's better than nothing, right?

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what is the most effective political organization supporting women's rights and equality these days? Is it NOW or EMILY'S list? NARAL or Planned Parenthood?

I came away from Tuesday with the realization that as an adult with an income rather than a college student with loans I should be offering regular material support to organizations that are fighting for causes I believe in. Some are no-brainers like the ACLU, Human Rights Campaign, and NAACP legal defense fund, but I was stumped re: progressive organizations supporting women's rights because EMILY's List has apparently been getting criticism for promoting female candidates who are more conservative than their progressive male opponents, and NOW apparently has been criticized for not adequately focusing on women's issues in their support of candidate. And PP seems to be also globally focused, which is nice for them, but I'm really mostly interesting in investing in political change in the US.

Also, if anyone knows of a group that has looked at the relative effectiveness of progressive political organizations and/or how much donated money is going to oladminostrative overhead versus being sent to candidates or otherwise spent directly to influence politics, I would love to see it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

botany posted:

now post a source for your claim that he sold poo poo to china and russia

He went to China and Russia on an undisclosed personal trip, which is a huge no no, right after absconding with millions of classified documents. Surely you can put two and two together

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

"I would have so many sources it would make your head spin. Can't get them right now though. Look them up yourself."

I mean, this DID work for Trump.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

He went to China and Russia on an undisclosed personal trip, which is a huge no no, right after absconding with millions of classified documents. Surely you can put two and two together

Post sources for your claims.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Truth is irrelevant when it comes to Snowden within the next few months they'll start talking it up because from a media perspective Trump getting Snowden would be a "Win".

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Link to a source that puts two and two together.

One source.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The touchy-feely approach won some catty comments from old white male skeptics, calling young minority students “snow-flakes” for their inability to handle the result.

edit: like, the goal here is that we're all laughing at the skeptics together, while also acknowledging that play-doh might not be the best coping mechanism but it's better than nothing, right?

no it's just vacant sneering at young people

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Kirkpatrick's whining about Bouie on twitter was dumb but I wouldn't call it shouting him down? As for coastal elites, they're obviously talking about people like the Clintons and other generally white people. I agree Jacobin is a little white dude ish but that's a ridiculous argument to say they're stealth conservatives or racists for complaining about elite white liberals

im not saying that theyre any of those things, im saying theyre incredibly glib about the realities facing the left in this country, and disturbingly willing to cadge onto very ugly frameworks if it furthers their ability to be sanctimonious. it makes me extremely skeptical about the viability of a labor-left coalition if the thought drivers of that movement are more interested in getting to run a victory lap around their imagined enemies than in actually, yknow, coalescing.

this is fairly small potatoes stuff but the most telling thing ive heard out of this variety of leftist was on an episode of Chapo Trap House (yeah, i know) where they had a guest on who was discussing the California primaries. and he said something to the effect of "if you look at the LA Times map of which parts of LA went Sanders, its all the places anyone wants to be. its the lovely places that nobody cares about like the loving Hills that went to Clinton." and he isnt wrong - the hip, young parts of LA went very heavily Sanders. these are also coincidentally some of the most rapidly gentrifying parts of the city. and the boring rich places full of film industry dirtbags went to Clinton. but so did Inglewood and Compton and large swathes of South LA.

and yeah, i know this is just one guy, and hes on a podcast that is fairly irrelevant in the larger scheme of things, but it shows the kind of flippant attitude that bothers me greatly. theres a lot of talk this year about lefties needing to stop sneering at the white working class for being racist hicks, but i feel like we could also do with some talk about needing to stop sneering at our natural allies and constituents for being machine-lead lumpens with no appreciation for trot magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd take the chance to play with some dogs (which was a thing apparently already long in place) every other Wednesday.

• Locked thread