Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

oatgan posted:

His heel turn came when his buddy John Morrison goaded him into putting a title shot he'd earned on the line. He lost, snapped, beat up John Morrison, and blew cigarette smoke on his body. As a heel he was really mad the company didn't give opportunities to black wrestlers. He took his frustration out on children decked head to toe in John Cena merch (little jimmys) and the parents who bought it for them because R Truth didn't have a t-shirt at the time because the company was racist and didn't push black people. I don't know if these segments flew over someone's head backstage or if they just thought it would be funny if he just became a raving moron who actually hallucinated an invisible child who followed him everywhere named Little Jimmy and was terrified of spiders but that's what happened
The real question we should be asking is if Eric Bischoff can see Little Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

oatgan posted:

His heel turn came when his buddy John Morrison goaded him into putting a title shot he'd earned on the line. He lost, snapped, beat up John Morrison, and blew cigarette smoke on his body. As a heel he was really mad the company didn't give opportunities to black wrestlers. He took his frustration out on children decked head to toe in John Cena merch (little jimmys) and the parents who bought it for them because R Truth didn't have a t-shirt at the time because the company was racist and didn't push black people. I don't know if these segments flew over someone's head backstage or if they just thought it would be funny if he just became a raving moron who actually hallucinated an invisible child who followed him everywhere named Little Jimmy and was terrified of spiders but that's what happened

The spiders thing, as far as I can tell, was improv because Michael Cole is an idiot. Truth was talking about being afraid of heights going into a MITB or some other ladder match, Cole called it arachnophobia because he is bad, and Truth ran with it.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Xerzes posted:

The spiders thing, as far as I can tell, was improv because Michael Cole is an idiot. Truth was talking about being afraid of heights going into a MITB or some other ladder match, Cole called it arachnophobia because he is bad, and Truth ran with it.

yeah, Truth said he had acrophobia, and Cole is an idiot. that whole R-Truth run is one of my favorite things in wrestling. R-Truth is a genius.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Was his very brief pretty Ricky phase before or after the truth shall set you free run?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

freeranger posted:

Was his very brief pretty Ricky phase before or after the truth shall set you free run?

Before. It was a one off on Smackdown done purely for Vince's amusement.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The strange thing about the feud from the video package is that he's making tons of good points about him basically being a comedy act who had to act like and idiot and rap and sing to be accepted and he never got a real shot and it seems like either Vince or a writer was like "uhhhh he's coming way too close to be totally in the right. poo poo...uh, make him attack an innocent father in the crowd! Make him crazy!"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think you'll find that R Truth was the second ever NWA/TNA world champion

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Minidust posted:

Not sure of the exact timing, but there was a period where commentary mysteriously stopped calling the FU by name. Cole would say "Cena going for the victory!" when the move was being set up, stuff like that. After the no-name period they just started calling it the Attitude Adjustment as if nothing had changed.

They abruptly took the U off the STFU at the same time, but bizarrely left the Five Knuckle Shuffle intact.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Even without the goofiness, I thought R-Truth worked because of the story that set him off. At the time, the midcard and upper-midcard were bland as gently caress, but they always tended to throw just enough of a bone R-Truth's way. He'd win the midcard titles and they even had him eliminate Big Show and Mark Henry at the same time at the Rumble. He was the kind of guy you'd toss into multi-man title or #1 contender matches and never expected him to ever win. Kofi, Ziggler and face Khali had the same thing going on.

So after all that, R-Truth finally got a title shot. Then a week later, everyone made fun of him for taking a sip of water during that match and his buddy beat him for the contendership. That's as good a springboard as any to turn a tired face into a rising heel.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

rotinaj posted:

:thejoke: during the big show vs the authority feud, they said that big show was her friend when she was a little girl.

Well it makes a little more sense when you remember that Big Show is Andre's son. Steph really looked up to Andre when she was a kid and I guess Vince didn't have the heart to tell her he died so he brought in Show like a replacement pet that looks similar

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

sticklefifer posted:

They abruptly took the U off the STFU at the same time, but bizarrely left the Five Knuckle Shuffle intact.

Which made the phrasing in this Fruity Pebbles commercial even MORE awkward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0GY2jTSEs

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Every so occasionally the WWE will stumble upon a gimmick which comes way too close to exposing how regressive both their company and their fans are.

In the early days of Muhammad Hassan's run he and Daivari were just American born Muslims who were upset at the their treatment at the hands of a post-9/11 America. He would win clean and not give the crowd any justifiable reason to boo him, which kinda made them even madder. His early feuds were with mindless patriots like Jim Duggan who dropped the conventional "America; love it or leave it" rhetoric. The early Hassan character was a huge problem because wrestling fans never would have cheered him, had no justifiable reason to boo him and anybody who feuded with him looked completely in the wrong.

Then the R-Truth thing. Which has been already broken down.

Then the Real Americans. Surprisingly pushing patriotic nationalists as heels. Unfortunately much like the West Texas Rednecks a decade before before the crowd wound up chanting along with their asinine but patriotic sounding catchphrase.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

Every so occasionally the WWE will stumble upon a gimmick which comes way too close to exposing how regressive both their company and their fans are.

Then the Real Americans. Surprisingly pushing patriotic nationalists as heels. Unfortunately much like the West Texas Rednecks a decade before before the crowd wound up chanting along with their asinine but patriotic sounding catchphrase.

I don't see how it's asinine at all. The Real Americans only wanted to Make America Great Again. What's the issue?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SirDippingSauce posted:

Which made the phrasing in this Fruity Pebbles commercial even MORE awkward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0GY2jTSEs

John Cena is so good.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
John Cena said "Five knuckle shuffle in your face" in a cereal commercial three years ago and I'm only just finding out now

EDIT: Oh he says "Of in your face". Not as good

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hey, was Serena of the Strait-Edge Society any good? Punk, Gallows and Joey Mercury were/are all pretty great, but I don't really remember anything about her in-ring stuff. Wikipedia says she worked with Mickie James a lot in TNA, Shimmer and other indies and did some work in Japan. From that it would seem like she has chops, but does she?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Deeb didn't do a lot.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Didn't she get fired for drunk driving a boat?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Supposedly. To which she replied "Why would anyone be drunk driving a boat"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I don't even think "drive," is the right verb for boats

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why wouldn't it be?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You steer a boat

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
Not when you're drunk you don't.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oldpainless posted:

You steer a boat

I steer a car too. While I'm driving it. Much like a boat.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I steer a car too. While I'm driving it. Much like a boat.

When I am on a boat I am a mariner therefor I marinate the boat.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sanguinia posted:

I don't even think "drive," is the right verb for boats

steer is a subset of what makes up a drive

in moore ways then one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

steer is a subset of what makes up a drive

in moore ways then one.

So she was using a boat to direct cattle?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

You pilot a plane, you conduct a boat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are we talking about Harley Race again? I love Harley Race.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

Supposedly. To which she replied "Why would anyone be drunk driving a boat"

There is no plausible situation for me to be on a boat sober so like I don't understand that question.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Sanguinia posted:

Hey, was Serena of the Strait-Edge Society any good? Punk, Gallows and Joey Mercury were/are all pretty great, but I don't really remember anything about her in-ring stuff. Wikipedia says she worked with Mickie James a lot in TNA, Shimmer and other indies and did some work in Japan. From that it would seem like she has chops, but does she?

She peaked as Paige Webb.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

RacistGuidingLight posted:

There is no plausible situation for me to be on a boat sober so like I don't understand that question.

Right? Cooler full of cheap pilsner gets packed before the fuckin' tackle box.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The segment where Serena gives herself over to the SES is really good (I loved the SES, though, so I'm a little biased), but other than that I don't remember her doing much.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Sanguinia posted:

the only thing I remember was her having huge boobs and getting her head shaved, I don't even recall if they gave her any mic time

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Bee posted:

She peaked as Paige Webb.

Was she a hacker in that gimmick, or did she just like web sites

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Serena was a great female indie wrestler to be honest. Topped a lot of year end polls. Connected with fans in very strong way. Lauded for having the best punches in Wrestling but for a few men or women. Played Bayley's mentor in SHIMMER too.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

remusclaw posted:

Okada is guilty of the crime of tailoring his level of effort to the situation at hand rather than operating at peak levels all the time. He's cool.
Clearly inferior to the GOAT, Dolph Ziggler

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
More of a fun little experiment than a full fledged question

What is the one MUST SEE PPV for each year of WWE history?

Like:

2011: Money in the Bank
2012: Extreme Rules
2013: Summerslam

etc. Go as far back as you'd like. I thought about making this it's own thread but I don't know. Maybe if you go into detail on each PPV it could work?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

More of a fun little experiment than a full fledged question

What is the one MUST SEE PPV for each year of WWE history?

Like:

2011: Money in the Bank
2012: Extreme Rules
2013: Summerslam

etc. Go as far back as you'd like. I thought about making this it's own thread but I don't know. Maybe if you go into detail on each PPV it could work?

2014: Wrestlemania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'd say Summerslam for 98 and 2000. Definitely WrestleMania for 2001.