Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

A Broadway musical with actually currently popular musical styles seems like an obvious thing to do but apparently no one thought of it before.

The fact it allowed people to feel good about their country's historical foundation just by casting people of color in the roles of landed white aristocrats is what allowed it to metastasize into a cultural/political force among parts of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Telephones posted:

No more nerds! No more nerds!

Really why is Hamilton so drat popular? Because it has rapping?

Does it though?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

devtesla posted:

Here's the good read. At a time where America seems lovely it makes America seem like something to be proud of.

i am mixed the article isnt wrong, but the playwrite are right, the audiance doesn't want to get loving preached at. Not everything should be "everything you know is bullshit, here is everything bad because everything is bad and people suffer all over the world" i mean yeah no poo poo.. i mean yeah, its a dumb musical with catchy music that makes people pat themselves on the back for feeling enlightened about history at least on a beginners level. its better then loving nothing.

Telephones posted:

No more nerds! No more nerds!

Really why is Hamilton so drat popular? Because it has rapping?

ehh. i dont get it but then again i am not a musical person apart from le miz.

I feel like people want diversity but they just want for its own sake and make themselves look good and feel better, not for any actual good reasons(showing anyone can do anything and all that stuff, or good character development or whatever). its like all those people who bitched about the witcher 3 or that medivial game thats set in 14th century Bohemia not having massive amounts of black people when it was from countries that didnt have that many people of color but instead had more cultural diversity instead. but gently caress that, Divsity= race and thats it.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Nov 11, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol true. I'll be real. I am a giant loving nerd(love game of thrones, Star Wars and various video game series) but that stuff has basically taught me that everything can turn to poo poo in a second and "evil" will always live on and find a.new face or pawns. Not " Harry Potter taught me that evil always loses and I am a special snowflake," these people are loving empty fools and shoul probaly have better taste.

berserk taught me to hail satan

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The Kingfish posted:

Consumerism has fragmented us, possibly beyond all repair.

My ideology is Pepsi!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Dreddout posted:

My ideology is Pepsi!

Mine is Coca-cola you worrthless piece of poo poo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Condiv posted:

berserk taught me to hail satan

I need to actualy get around to reading/watching it someday.

anyway http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/03/10/critique-drift/
this is pretty good showing of how the "social" online left became a bunch of snarky ivory tower assholes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Mine is Coca-cola you worrthless piece of poo poo

if you ain't Pibb you ain't poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/aleksnotalex/status/797195976532459520

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

get that OUT of my face posted:

was there a single thinkpiece written by the usual suspects that was pro-Hillary and not condescending, smug, and outright hostile to people who weren't already decided? and in any case, hillary lost the election for herself

yeahhhhhhhh about that

That guy has terminal AIDS.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I'm screaming

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
True, but West Wing was great.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Has John Oliver said anything about the election since his ridiculously embarrassing Drumpf sign thing?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I was waiting for this

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel like people want diversity but they just want for its own sake and make themselves look good and feel better, not for any actual good reasons(showing anyone can do anything and all that stuff, or good character development or whatever). its like all those people who bitched about the witcher 3 or that medivial game thats set in 14th century Bohemia not having massive amounts of black people when it was from countries that didnt have that many people of color but instead had more cultural diversity instead. but gently caress that, Divsity= race and thats it.

That argument doesn't always work for me when it comes to fantasy stuff because 14th century Bohemia wasn't full of magic or monsters either, and yet those things are included. Why should non-white characters need their existence justified when you're already in a fantasy setting? I don't particularly care what shows up in each individual game or movie or whatever. But diversity in general is a subject worth discussing, and it's a good thing for real people to be able to see themselves reflected in media.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

devtesla posted:

Here's the good read. At a time where America seems lovely it makes America seem like something to be proud of.

Is the author a goon? I only ask because he brought up Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew in the first sentence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope John Oliver gets deported in the first wave, preferably to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Is the author a goon? I only ask because he brought up Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew in the first sentence.

he's former lf poster goldenliontamarin

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Homework Explainer posted:

everybody is Genuinely Good at Heart and the monster developers that are dismantling public infrastructure and affordable housing in the real world are portrayed as lovable nincompoops. it's a seasons-long feel-good session about how great neoliberal consensus can be if you're very very nice about it. also they spent a whole episode doing racist caricatures of venezuelans

it's funny but hard to overlook the trash politics at its center, similar to tina fey's white feminist bullshit

So do they do the episode where the meatpacking plant closes down and one guy gets his pink slip, comes home, kills his wife and children and then himself?

edit: or is it more the guy comes home and his family starts a lemonade stand and they get new jobs and everyone is happy?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

deety posted:

That argument doesn't always work for me when it comes to fantasy stuff because 14th century Bohemia wasn't full of magic or monsters either, and yet those things are included. Why should non-white characters need their existence justified when you're already in a fantasy setting? I don't particularly care what shows up in each individual game or movie or whatever. But diversity in general is a subject worth discussing, and it's a good thing for real people to be able to see themselves reflected in media.

agreed. buts the witcher games based on europian and polish folklore and lit(plus a polish book series) and the dlc add minorities. the 14th century bohemia game is a completely different game that isnt even out yet. basically a historicaly accurate skyrim with more complicated combat during the hussite wars.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

this is the election that keeps on giving. I take back everything bad I've said about social media

also John Oliver saying he'd write a check to trump to run and how much he wanted him to run, while the audience hooted and hollered, is the greatest thing

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Peanut President posted:

So do they do the episode where the meatpacking plant closes down and one guy gets his pink slip, comes home, kills his wife and children and then himself?

edit: or is it more the guy comes home and his family starts a lemonade stand and they get new jobs and everyone is happy?

it's neither of those

it's a loving sitcom, not a political pamphlet

jesus christ dude, don't start pre-screening everything for the correct level of political acceptability because that's what this thread is meant to be mocking

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Well What Now posted:

it's neither of those

it's a loving sitcom, not a political pamphlet

jesus christ dude, don't start pre-screening everything for the correct level of political acceptability because that's what this thread is meant to be mocking

It's a joke my friend.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Peanut President posted:

It's a joke my friend.

sorry, I lost my ability to tell jokes from reality a few days ago

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Peanut President posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXp0eF8s0

Homework Explainer posted:

he's former lf poster goldenliontamarin

Oh yeah I've seen him on twitter.

mastershakeman posted:

this is the election that keeps on giving. I take back everything bad I've said about social media

also John Oliver saying he'd write a check to trump to run and how much he wanted him to run, while the audience hooted and hollered, is the greatest thing

When did he do this?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Stuff like favorable cameos by Gingrich and McCain is a damning own goal by Parks and Rec even liberals can probably agree with.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kings George I and II of England could barely speak intelligible English and spent more time dealing with their own failed sons than ruling the Empire —but they gave patronage to Handel. Ludwig II of Bavaria was believed to be insane and went into debt compulsively building castles — but he gave patronage to Wagner. Barack Obama deported more immigrants than any other president and expanded the drone program in order to kill almost 3,500 people — but he gave patronage to a neoliberal nerdcore musical. God bless this great land.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Counterpoint

http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/11/how-jon-stewart-and-the-daily-show-elected-donald-trump/

Also lol at this national review quote

quote:

As George W. Bush’s presidency wound down, it became obvious that a comedy crisis was looming. As you might recall, there was much media thumb-sucking over what America’s gag writers would do when they no longer had the tongue-tied Texan to kick around. To make matters worse for the comedy scribes, Bush’s eventual replacement was a well-spoken, walking civil-rights triumph who largely shared the entertainment industry’s liberal politics.
In a New York Times article last year somewhat incredulously titled ‘Want Obama in a Punch Line? First, Find a Joke,’ the most influential political comedian in America admitted he was at a loss.
‘We’re carrion birds,’ Daily Show host Jon Stewart told the Times. ‘We’re sitting up there saying ‘Does he seem weak? Is he dehydrated yet? Let’s attack.’

Pomplamoose has issued a correction as of 08:54 on Nov 12, 2016

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

devtesla posted:

i wonder when people are going to be grown up enough to evaluate the founding fathers without histronically vilifying them based on 2016 morals

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Scionix posted:

i wonder when people are going to be grown up enough to evaluate the founding fathers without histronically vilifying them based on 2016 morals

Tell us more about how thinking slavery is bad is "histrionic."

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Scionix posted:

pretty sure there were abolitionists in the 18th century idiot

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yeah! You know who's to blame for the rise in global fascism? That woman who got famous even though her body doesn't give you a boner.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah! You know who's to blame for the rise in global fascism? That woman who got famous even though her body doesn't give you a boner.

the kinda funny thing of "lena dunham didn't vote in her party's primary" isn't meant to assign blame imo

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Its as funny as Michael Tracey supposedly losing his job over doxxing Lena dunham

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

slavery is absolutely bad. do you own a smartphone or laptop?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm so sorry. But the AIDS test came back positive

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Scionix posted:

slavery is absolutely bad. do you own a smartphone or laptop?

Hahaha so your deflection about the "histrionic 2016 morals" comment is to... bring up something you think is immoral in 2016. Are you saying you were the histrionic one all along? Because I might agree

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:yikes:

#unwoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Hahaha so your deflection about the "histrionic 2016 morals" comment is to... bring up something you think is immoral in 2016. Are you saying you were the histrionic one all along? Because I might agree

i cant tell if you've missed the point by an incredible margin or are trolling me. a bold strategy