Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

he's not wrong in the sense that violence does not play out well on TV in the eyes of the silent majority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

OAquinas posted:

FL is always a wreck. Just barely have over 33% of the state legislature, the party here has historically been more about raising funds from the blue pockets, and there's little momentum to change that.

The head of the party is stepping down in January though, so there's an opening for fresh blood.

Yeah now is a time more than ever to fix things. I'm working with a group to build what the parties new message will be and what candidates we should shoot for in the future. Large emphasis on the space coast and preserving the environment. Our message has been an overwhelming "The candidates need to actually be progressive and not boring former republican dial tones". Hopefully it goes somewhere.

Yudo posted:

Thanks for the insight.

I'm desperately hoping this thread has been helpful to people.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Can someone do a quick rundown on why Cory Booker is awful? asking for a friend here. I've read various articles but cant put together a list in my head rn

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

cargo cult posted:

Can someone do a quick rundown on why Cory Booker is awful? asking for a friend here. I've read various articles but cant put together a list in my head rn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7GpMks8UA

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

We need to fight against racism and voter suppression and xenophobia, but what I hope we've learned here is that the way to do that maybe isn't to call tuition free state college "racist" but rather to bash the fasc

I remember when people asked how free public college would help HBCUs and apparently the existence of historically black state colleges was unknown to the pundit class

That was pretty great

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

cargo cult posted:

lol mark suckenberg gave him $100 mil to spend on chartered schools which he flushed down the drain

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Princess Di posted:

I don't think they were particularly interested in staying in Washington. After all, look at everything they have been through.

Boo Hoo, I can't wait for that milquetoast motherfucker to get the gently caress out.

I'm sure he'll get a job at one of corporations he spent the past 8 years jerking off.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

California was not a part of this nation when its history began, but we are clearly now the keeper of its future.

I was ok with it until this line which just made me go "loving California"

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

It's a good thread.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Venom Snake posted:

It's the only thread in here I can stomach reading.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
when people call cory booker batman, it comes with the caveat that he's also bruce wayne.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

mrmcd posted:

Please, tell me again how you were caught unawares by the hostility and dislike of Hillary Clinton, something that was obvious for 25+ years, and had no real workable plan to fix it. Just because it's legitimately "unfair" or "sexist" doesn't make whining about it a plan.

Idealism.

I really believed there was an enclave of people who also saw it as unfair and sexist the way I did.

I really believed that failing that no one would want to gently caress with Trump.

I thought there would be excitement due to her being the first female presidential nominee.

Finally, I thought America was less xenophobic and less fractured than it actually was.

I thought since the Obama administration had provided some improvement in our country that we could count on most of those who voted Obama to vote for what would essentially be a third term.

These beliefs were false. But the biggest shock is something I should have seen coming because I had experienced a bit of it in my own life.

We had a large group of people that were left behind, who were white, who could not get skilled jobs and were therefore unemployed. I myself have had to go back to school because without more education I was unable to find employment after two years of searching.

That should have been my signal, that not everyone's lives got better after Obama. This means his charisma and his entreaties were largely ignored by those who could have swung this election in a different direction.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

I remember when people asked how free public college would help HBCUs and apparently the existence of historically black state colleges was unknown to the pundit class

That was pretty great

link because lol even I,a dude who grew up around lawn jockeys in the rust belt, knows about them

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

is there a way i can somehow email this clip to hillary

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

loquacius posted:

I was ok with it until this line which just made me go "loving California"

Then you'd drat well better get your region to step the gently caress up because by God if you don't you'll never hear the end of it from us loving Californians.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Boo Hoo, I can't wait for that milquetoast motherfucker to get the gently caress out.

I'm sure he'll get a job at one of corporations he spent the past 8 years jerking off.

post-presidency before the world got turned upside down, obama was making plans with eric holder to fight against gerrymandering and for voter access which will be important, especially in the age of voter suppression that the trump presidency will entail. that would be a good project to do where he can act as a leader without getting involved with the upcoming civil war

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah now is a time more than ever to fix things. I'm working with a group to build what the parties new message will be and what candidates we should shoot for in the future. Large emphasis on the space coast and preserving the environment. Our message has been an overwhelming "The candidates need to actually be progressive and not boring former republican dial tones". Hopefully it goes somewhere.

Just for the love of god and mammon keep Alex Sink and Crist away from...everything.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The Obamas are not done if they don't want to be. It's just staying involved for them is going to be the elder statesman party leader role and not, "We should be in the White House for eight more years!"

Obamas are cool and good.

Bill is washed out, needs some burger and late night jewish snacks to revive him. Hillary is a focus group phony persona, basically the political equivalent of pepsi crystal.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

mastershakeman posted:

link because lol even I,a dude who grew up around lawn jockeys in the rust belt, knows about them

Like exactly, how did they not know about that?

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015

A Winner is Jew posted:

no war but class war

(am i doing this right guys?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0IwIOUg_Cs

watch some wolff

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

LMAO eat a dick Trevor.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there a way i can somehow email this clip to hillary

hillary is off in the woods of new york, far from emails...

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

It definitely has been. Also I appreciate your name/avatar/thread combo because "They played us like a goddamn fiddle" is a decent sentiment.

cargo cult posted:

He's basically a charismatic center-leftist. Unfortunately, this is kind of an environment full of untapped populist rage and a good chance that the populist rage is gonna get worse. In an alternate universe where the Clintons' Third Way is very successful and doesn't create a Rust Belt and center-left milquetoast policies have been found to be highly successful he might be a good candidate.

We don't live in that universe.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

LMAO eat a dick Trevor.

he's not wrong but it's way the wrong drat time to say this

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off

OAquinas posted:

I think you underestimate how far blaming minorities can take a party.

Pretty drat far. But the last time Republicans had control of both the presidency and congress was 2005 and before that 1928. I don't doubt that people will still hate minorities, but they'll also see the rich as the greater threat.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Has Evan Bayh been locked in a safe and thrown to the bottom of the ocean yet?

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what i meant. yeah we are hosed in the short(relative) term but if the party completly rebuilds itself and makes actual changes, they might have a good chance at winning or at least fighting trump.

haha please keep telling yourself that. the key to rebuilding the democrat party is to embrace trump but you won't so you hosed.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

OAquinas posted:

They assumed it was baked in and played out. The RWM has been droning on about her for nearly 30 years; after a while it becomes background noise.

They just figured "she's got experience and actual concrete policies/plans; he has what appears to be a 7th grade assignment done last period totally bereft of detail" and thought that would be sufficient to win.

Turns out, neither was true. Media is partly to blame for the former, and the latter is just overestimating American insight.

This. Also this.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

:same: :agreed: :same: :agreed: :same: :agreed: :same: :agreed: :same: :agreed: :same:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Also a wee bit of a difference in that the protest targets actually have the levers of power and no checks on them now. Or at the least, people friendly to them do.

Still doesn't excuse the more bullshit behavior, but people have every right to demonstrate and be afraid and angry.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Well What Now posted:

he's not wrong but it's way the wrong drat time to say this

Every time the left has gotten off its rear end to protest something in the last decade people (including supposed leftists) kept saying "this isn't the right way to protest,". I'm sick of this poo poo.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Nov 12, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's honestly loving insane to me that the Democrats still think they lost an election purely to sexism and not class struggle. If anything it just shows you how amazingly sheltered the ruling elite are.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Also Venom Snake you said you're working with the Virginia dems right? Is there any good guide to what someone who wants to help can do to help? Because quotin' a guy from a different forum here:

"I am not asking a rhetorical question here. If there is an email address I can send "please help me get in touch with people who I can give money and time to fix this loving thing" in VA, please tell me about it."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

It's honestly loving insane to me that the Democrats still think they lost an election purely to sexism and not class struggle. If anything it just shows you how amazingly sheltered the ruling elite are.

I guess Hill Folk never watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkm2Vfj42FY

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The right way to protest has always been quietly away out of sight and out of mind instead of, oh gosh, interfering with the system you're protesting, thank you very much.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sojenus posted:

The right way to protest has always been quietly away out of sight and out of mind instead of, oh gosh, interfering with the system you're protesting, thank you very much.

u have to work with us :qq:

is literally what the insiders said to Bernie's progressive platform

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/270214-clyburn-sanderss-plan-would-kill-black-colleges

Clyburn even went to a public HBCU so yeah idk

nopants
May 29, 2004

Sojenus posted:

The most successful protests are the ones that don't inconvenience a single soul and most people don't even know about. You know a protest has failed when it adds time to commute home from work.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Lastgirl posted:

u have to work with us :qq:

is literally what the insiders said to Bernie's progressive platform

My answer to this is:

Well we tried it your way and look what happened. Now if you want to help us do it our way, fine. If not, gently caress you and get out of our way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mister Fister posted:

Going out for lunch, but this is a great read about how the media (especially the washington post) went out of their way to gently caress Bernie Sanders:

http://harpers.org/archive/2016/11/swat-team-2/?single=1

We need reform in the media as much as the DNC.

I hate how the "liberal media" label is applied to the Washington Post when it's filled to the brim with neoliberals and especially neocons, gently caress them. I barely trust them more than I do Breitbart.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Nov 12, 2016

• Locked thread