Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People should never vent their stress and emotions in a way they find comfortable. They should do the mature thing and bottle it all up for years until it crushes them mentally and they hang themselves from a tie in their cubicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

You didn't. None of your sources allege what you claimed, I. E. Evidence of Snowden selling info to Russia and China

My primary accusation was that Snowden didn't just steal secrets related to the NSA surveillance program. He definitely stole a lot more than that. Some goons said otherwise, but they were wrong

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

boner confessor posted:

there's rain on your mountains? how absolutely decadent. i gaze into my volkish future from a mountaintop until my very eyes are transfixed with pride, and dehydration, and the whispers of my people flow between the cracks in my skin down to my masculine soul

im sorry what? i didnt catch all that; i was busy astrally projecting myself back in time to spiritually shed blood in the akashic memory of the Great Patriotic War. not that a revisionist like you would appreciate the significance of that experience, or be prepared for the physical, mental, and ideological mortifications necessary to prepare for it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

boner confessor posted:

no, trump voters burst into flames when they approach educational facilities. the lamentations would arise from monster truck rallies and hog pits across america, a litany of curses would be woven into the black eyes of Lurleens across the dust belt, spare-ribbed and quivering dogs would bay and how in unison knowing not why

And then people would be making fun of all these stupid fragile babies in the alternate dimension uspol thread, because they would be immature little fucks, much like college students who need coloring books to deal with adversity.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

First of all, my accusations were two-fold. You can't claim that his only crime was revealing the NSA surveillance program: that is false. This was the idea that I was attacking, so I focused my efforts on supporting that.

Now, since you want evidence that he sold poo poo to China, on top of the obvious circumstances of fleeing immediately to China and Russia with the documents, here are some links supporting that specific allegation:

Russia and China manage to break into NSA-encrypted files stolen by Snowden, despite Snowden earlier suggesting that they couldn't have had access to those files (aka he lied), forcing UK agents to withdraw during active operations
http://www.businessinsider.com/snowden-russia-china-and-nsa-files-2015-6

Snowden has definitely revealed some of his secrets to the Chinese government
http://www.businessinsider.com/snowden-gives-us-secrets-to-chinese-2013-6

Snowden offers secrets to Brazil in a bid for asylum. Russia gave Snowden asylum. I'm sure that's just a big coincidence!
http://www.forwardprogressives.com/new-information-suggests-edward-snowden-might-given-intel-russians-chinese/

None of these articles support your claim that he sold information to either China or Russia. None of these articles even support your claim that the information that ended up in international hands had nothing to do with the unconstitutional US wiretapping apparatus.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

My primary accusation was that Snowden didn't just steal secrets related to the NSA surveillance program. He definitely stole a lot more than that. Some goons said otherwise, but they were wrong

Who claimed otherwise. Post quotes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Non Serviam posted:

Assuming you're being honest in your comment...
I don't think it's bad for people to be sad or emotional. If you were heavily invested you can and should cry. The problem is creating this soft bubble around students, treating them as stunted children.
No, it is not normal, healthy or useful to assume adults will be so emotionally upset they will not be able to function, be it because Trump won, or because flamboyant alt-right moron decided to give a talk there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

That's a weird accusation to make and complain about. It would be extremely difficult to manage just steal things directly related to any given program, as documentation involved would inevitably be full of related things that weren't strictly that.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

QuarkJets posted:

First of all, my accusations were two-fold. You can't claim that his only crime was revealing the NSA surveillance program: that is false. This was the idea that I was attacking, so I focused my efforts on supporting that.

Now, since you want evidence that he sold poo poo to China, on top of the obvious circumstances of fleeing immediately to China and Russia with the documents, here are some links supporting that specific allegation:

Russia and China manage to break into NSA-encrypted files stolen by Snowden, despite Snowden earlier suggesting that they couldn't have had access to those files (aka he lied), forcing UK agents to withdraw during active operations
http://www.businessinsider.com/snowden-russia-china-and-nsa-files-2015-6

Snowden has definitely revealed some of his secrets to the Chinese government
http://www.businessinsider.com/snowden-gives-us-secrets-to-chinese-2013-6

Snowden offers secrets to Brazil in a bid for asylum. Russia gave Snowden asylum. I'm sure that's just a big coincidence!
http://www.forwardprogressives.com/new-information-suggests-edward-snowden-might-given-intel-russians-chinese/

You are moving away from your claim, and posting sources that say "authoritative sources say...".
Even then, no evidence of selling anything.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mister Macys posted:

They'd rather blame the poor than themselves. The majority of voters making less than $50,000 (53 & 51%) voted for Hillary. The majority of voters making more than that preferred Trump.
But the better off Democrats would rather play divide and conquer with their own base, (so they don't question their betters) than help them.

This is why "economic anxiety," though not wrong, isn't the whole story by a long shot.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

They'd rather blame the poor than themselves. The majority of voters making less than $50,000 (53 & 51%) voted for Hillary. The majority of voters making more than that preferred Trump.
But the better off Democrats would rather play divide and conquer with their own base, (so they don't question their betters) than help them.

this doesn't tell nearly all the story.

the democrats lost millions of voters from 2012. we don't know the economic breakdown of that group (unless we do and someone can post them) and we also know that hillary lost ground on people making less that $30,000 by considerable margins.

sure we won the majority but we lost a significant number of those voters too and had not nearly the same kind of majority we need to to keep winning.

Admiral Ray posted:

The project should be to construct a laser to burn the words "Ur a racist" on the moon.

finally, we're getting workable solutions. you'd have my vote, sir

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 12, 2016

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like let's be honest here, most of the poor probably didn't vote, period.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

QuarkJets posted:

The fact that it was the NY Times loving up the redaction is irrelevant. It proves my accusation that Snowden stole secrets that were unrelated to the NSA spying on US citizens.

Snowden stole a whole bunch of poo poo, then handed it over to Greenwald and Poitras because he explicitly stated that it should be left to journalists to decide which of them are in the public interest rather than himself. I'm challenging your statement that he sold the secrets to foreign governements, none of the sources you've posted back this up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

im sorry what? i didnt catch all that; i was busy astrally projecting myself back in time to spiritually shed blood in the akashic memory of the Great Patriotic War. not that a revisionist like you would appreciate the significance of that experience, or be prepared for the physical, mental, and ideological mortifications necessary to prepare for it.

haha, you soft bellied gently caress, you come from a timeline in which the soviets won the war of slav dismissal? how absolutely precious that you would assume i arose in the very lap of luxury that you foolishly reveal is your heritage :smug: a real man is born, tattooed, lives and dies beneath the brutal heel of a nazi-lizard coalition to enslave humanity, and if my starving fingers could write one more word on this fourth dimensional portal i found beneath the latrine i would demonstrate what utter luxuries you don't even know you have, and the sheer bastard nerve of being priviliged enough to swing your timeline around in the faces of those who know nothing but unrelenting toil and horror you velvet-wrapped bon-bon fucktard

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

botany posted:

None of these articles support your claim that he sold information to either China or Russia. None of these articles even support your claim that the information that ended up in international hands had nothing to do with the unconstitutional US wiretapping apparatus.

They do both of those things. The first two showed that the Russian and Chinese governments definitely had a lot more of the Snowden documents than Snowden claimed, and my previous post showed that Snowden stole documents unrelated to the NSA surveillance program, including documents relating to operations being conducted by other countries.

Even if you dismiss all of the evidence pointing to Snowden selling secrets (even though he definitely offered to sell secrets to Brazil in exchange for asylum), my point was that he stole secrets that were unrelated to the NSA surveillance program. There is a lot of evidence supporting this point, and I have provided some of it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

and yeah, i know this is just one guy, and hes on a podcast that is fairly irrelevant in the larger scheme of things, but it shows the kind of flippant attitude that bothers me greatly. theres a lot of talk this year about lefties needing to stop sneering at the white working class for being racist hicks, but i feel like we could also do with some talk about needing to stop sneering at our natural allies and constituents for being machine-lead lumpens with no appreciation for trot magazines.

But we are not natural allies. I think a lot of this post-election analysis has started to lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Hillary won among voters whose primary concern was the economy. Despite all her flaws, and the campaign's flaws in messaging, Hillary won on the economy. Why do we assume that rust-belt voters are single issue voters with that single issue being the economy? Maybe they were worried about gun rights now that there was a vacancy on the supreme court? Perhaps they were anti-abortion, and wanted a conservative SC to try and overturn Roe v. Wade? What if they are not huge fans of marriage equality, and were hoping to get that overturned? Look at the NC governor's race that people assumed would be a slam dunk after HB2. McCrory is challenging the result because he is only down 5,000 votes. The way the media and our liberal bubble talked the people of NC wanting his head, you would think that is one race that should have been in the bag, and Cooper might yet lose.

Economics were not the only thing people voted on. Hillary carried voters prioritizing the economy by 10 points - Obama lost this to Romney by 4 points. She lost heavily among those whose priority was immigration or terrorism. Like Brexit, and the right-wing movements you see in Europe, it could just be that a lot of voters aren't comfortable with the changing face of America, and voted for the guy who seems to share their point of view on the matter.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Non Serviam posted:

Assuming you're being honest in your comment...
I don't think it's bad for people to be sad or emotional. If you were heavily invested you can and should cry. The problem is creating this soft bubble around students, treating them as stunted children.
No, it is not normal, healthy or useful to assume adults will be so emotionally upset they will not be able to function, be it because Trump won, or because flamboyant alt-right moron decided to give a talk there.

Look, man, I'm a returning student at a crazy liberal college and this isn't what is happening. These cry-ins and healing circles and shamanistic death rituals are being used to discuss what people that oppose Trump and his batshit agenda can actually do going forward and to come to grips with why people voted for Trump. These people don't have contact with what is being painted as rural white people that voted for Trump out of economic anxiety and racism and don't get why those people ignored Trump's hosed up rhetoric in favor of his bullshit.

What would you prefer they do? Protest in the streets? Burn something down? Buy guns? Vote? Because they are gonna do these things, but in the meantime they're gonna be all sad and anxious and poo poo because Trump made a bunch of promises to kick some of them out of the country and stop and frisk the others.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

They do both of those things. The first two showed that the Russian and Chinese governments definitely had a lot more of the Snowden documents than Snowden claimed, and my previous post showed that Snowden stole documents unrelated to the NSA surveillance program, including documents relating to operations being conducted by other countries.

Even if you dismiss all of the evidence pointing to Snowden selling secrets (even though he definitely offered to sell secrets to Brazil in exchange for asylum), my point was that he stole secrets that were unrelated to the NSA surveillance program. There is a lot of evidence supporting this point, and I have provided some of it.

No, he did not try to sell secrets to Brazil either. You're literally making up points that not even the Obama DOJ did.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

if you're actually paying to be at harvard the gently caress do you have to be upset about

If you have a scholarship you pay about 12 grand on average instead of 50+, a lot of students cannot handle the academic pressure to perform up to the requirements and if they lose that scholarship they're hosed.

http://www.harvard.edu/about-harvard/harvard-glance

There are myriad pressures on students, that's just one of them. In my freshman year at Rutgers I was in the honors program so we got to live in a separate tower. A freshman felt so alienated socially that he jumped off the roof and landed on top of the adjacent honors engineering low-rise, right in front of the window of a friend of mine. She saw him before anyone else noticed the body and was traumatized by the event. The jumper was a freshman, the social pressure got to him in just a couple of months.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowden is also a dumbass libertarian who doesn't understand that China is actually in charge in Hong Kong. Gee buddy, I guess the Reason article didn't say anything about it.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

Look, man, I'm a returning student at a crazy liberal college and this isn't what is happening. These cry-ins and healing circles and shamanistic death rituals are being used to discuss what people that oppose Trump and his batshit agenda can actually do going forward and to come to grips with why people voted for Trump. These people don't have contact with what is being painted as rural white people that voted for Trump out of economic anxiety and racism and don't get why those people ignored Trump's hosed up rhetoric in favor of his bullshit.

What would you prefer they do? Protest in the streets? Burn something down? Buy guns? Vote? Because they are gonna do these things, but in the meantime they're gonna be all sad and anxious and poo poo because Trump made a bunch of promises to kick some of them out of the country and stop and frisk the others.

If some of them are illegal immigrants, the ones Trump did say he'd kick out, the possibility of being deported shouldn't be a surprise.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

botany posted:

Who claimed otherwise. Post quotes.

Non Serviam posted:

What did he sow? Revealing the criminal work of the United States? Yeah, gently caress him!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Snowden is also a dumbass libertarian who doesn't understand that China is actually in charge in Hong Kong. Gee buddy, I guess the Reason article didn't say anything about it.

Yeah, gently caress that hero that sacrificed his life and liberty to expose what your government is doing. That son of a bitch and his wrong opinions on monetary policy!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
dont even wag your multicellular finger at me you walking dick, what with your sexual dimorphism and macroscopic body. as a single celled amoeba i need nothing more to comfort myself in times of woe but sugar molecules and an absence of predators, none of this mollycoddling higher order behavior. trashy rear end needy little bitch

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah, gently caress that hero that sacrificed his life and liberty to expose what your government is doing. That son of a bitch and his wrong opinions on monetary policy!
Do you get all your opinions from Oliver Stone movies?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

No, he did not try to sell secrets to Brazil either. You're literally making up points that not even the Obama DOJ did.

Snowden posted an open letter to Brazil offering US secrets in exchange for permanent asylum

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/17/edward-snowden-brazil-spying-asylum

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Do you get all your opinions from Oliver Stone movies?

I haven't seen Snowden. Not that it would make any of my points less true.
Do you think the programs were legal and constitutional? Do you think the government should be able to eavesdrop on the conversations of everyone?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah he thought Hong Kong was a great place to go to be free from a government interested in heavy-handed surveillance. It was pretty ironic.

It's why he ended up stuck in Russia, because he realized after he announced "it was me, I released a bunch of stolen data" that oh poo poo, this place ain't safe, and tried to get out to the first place he could.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Share my nightmare. Day 1- Republicans impeach trump. Pence is president.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

Snowden posted an open letter to Brazil offering US secrets in exchange for permanent asylum

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/17/edward-snowden-brazil-spying-asylum

There's like a universe of difference between Dilma Rousseff and loving Putin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

boner confessor posted:

dont even wag your multicellular finger at me you walking dick, what with your sexual dimorphism and macroscopic body. as a single celled amoeba i need nothing more to comfort myself in times of woe but sugar molecules and an absence of predators, none of this mollycoddling higher order behavior. trashy rear end needy little bitch

Elected a dangerous fascist with legions of mobilized fanatical followers?

Time to crawl up your safe space and die.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Consider reading his actual letter
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/17/edward-snowden-letter-brazilian-people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Share my nightmare. Day 1- Republicans impeach trump. Pence is president.

I do honestly like Trump more than Pence.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

boner confessor posted:

haha, you soft bellied gently caress, you come from a timeline in which the soviets won the war of slav dismissal? how absolutely precious that you would assume i arose in the very lap of luxury that you foolishly reveal is your heritage :smug: a real man is born, tattooed, lives and dies beneath the brutal heel of a nazi-lizard coalition to enslave humanity, and if my starving fingers could write one more word on this fourth dimensional portal i found beneath the latrine i would demonstrate what utter luxuries you don't even know you have, and the sheer bastard nerve of being priviliged enough to swing your timeline around in the faces of those who know nothing but unrelenting toil and horror you velvet-wrapped bon-bon fucktard

hahahaha. spare me you Asatru-cosplaying simian. through the power of Lysenkoist Meditation i have trained myself to operate at 100% metabolic efficiency, and no longer have need of booj-wah affectations like latrines and ostentatious starvation.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

well aintchu just the cutest little stoic? yes you are! yes you are!
I just wanted to pause say your posts have this Pynchon-flavored bite of sarcasm that I enjoy and envy in equal quantities. Thank you

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Agnosticnixie posted:

Maybe he should have thought about that before becoming Putin's whore boy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Snowden stole a whole bunch of poo poo, then handed it over to Greenwald and Poitras because he explicitly stated that it should be left to journalists to decide which of them are in the public interest rather than himself. I'm challenging your statement that he sold the secrets to foreign governements, none of the sources you've posted back this up.

Then how did Russia so quickly crack the NSA-encrypted files? And why did they even have them, when Snowden didn't even give those to anyone?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Agnosticnixie posted:

I agree, I'm just responding to a goon that said something didn't happen when it clearly did

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

QuarkJets posted:

Are you actually reading any of these articles you're linking? At no point does this say that he was going to sell the Brazilian government NSA data in exchange for asylum. It's referencing their outrage after it was already published that the NSA has spied on the Brazilian government. Maybe he was offering to work for their intelligence agencies or in some other capacity. As previously established, he didn't keep a copy of the material he stole and wouldn't have had it to give them.

e:

QuarkJets posted:

Then how did Russia so quickly crack the NSA-encrypted files? And why did they even have them, when Snowden didn't even give those to anyone?

This also didn't happen. I'm just going to assume you're making poo poo up as you're going along now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So while we're at it anybody want to white knight Assange?

• Locked thread