Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

tastychicken posted:

This is a trick question.
The right answer is the ostrich, but they'll only accept tapirs.
One is known in folklore for burying its head in the sand, the other is known for eating dreams?

Shoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ripptide posted:

Honestly? I'm more bothered by the fact that he's in such a startled state that his forehead has permanent wrinkles.

You know he's actually got some serious facial skills maintaining that exact wrinkle curvature

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
welp
  • 2.6 coming before xmas
  • will not include Star Marine
fuckin lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TheAgent posted:

welp
  • 2.6 coming before xmas
fuckin lol

Ummm excuse me chris said that they wanted to get 3.0 out before DIC 18. Surely 2.6 will be out before that!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

welp
  • 2.6 coming before xmas
fuckin lol

They never said 2.6 would include Star Marine, just wait and Reddit will confirm

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah everyone knew this and I'm just repeating what everyone knows

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Star Marine back to being just a game mode

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

TheAgent posted:

welp
  • 2.6 coming before xmas
fuckin lol

this is gonna own.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Was Star Marine honestly promised for 2.6? Serious question, I'm a filthy casual.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
https://clips.twitch.tv/starcitizen/TameSpiderPipeHype

This is why none of them ever lose weight, ever

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

nawledgelambo posted:

Hello? Water? Hello????

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Danknificent posted:

Was Star Marine honestly promised for 2.6? Serious question, I'm a filthy casual.

Yes. It came completely out of left field, after it was officially cancelled.

During Gamescom presentation, they showed a...dunno...maybe two second clip of a guy reloading his gun, followed by the Star Marine logo, and Chris explained how it will come with 2.6, and everyone was like "wait what?". Shitizens got excited as hell.

During Citizencon they didn't show anything of it (it should have been out by then, btw.), but showed an endless stream of powerpoint slides detailing every feature from future releases, starting with 2.6 (with one slide dedicated to Star Marine) up to alpha 4.2 IIRC.

They brought this whole fiasco upon themselves. They already managed to burry Star Marine without the community flipping out, and then announce it without any need whatsoever...only to fail to deliver it...

I know this sounds unbelievable, because honestly, it is...but it's true.

tuo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 12, 2016

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

welp
  • 2.6 coming before xmas
fuckin lol

lol if they make shitizens redownload the entire 20GB (or whatever it is) for an incremental uptick in the version number and a few dozen new bugs.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

their exit strategy is probably going to be "we have added additional star marine features as said on the slide. you can do a juke emote and throw a grenade in the PU. star marine is already in the PU, as previously stated. See you next year!" :jumps out window:

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 12, 2016

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DapperDon posted:

I would like to tell you a short story about a person I know that was exactly like Chris. For the purpose of this story, we shall call him Tony. Tony was a brilliant scientist. And when I say brilliant, I mean the things he has done has literally changed the world in certain ways. He was VERY successful as well as a bit of a minor celebrity only there was a bit of a problem. His ego. You see Tony knew he was smart and he commanded that respect no matter where he went or what he did. One of his inventions was actually one of the most revolutionary devices on the planet today. He invented salt water desalination in a microscopic level. He is also the man responsible for discovering the process of using DNA for solving cold case files. Like I said, he is one smart man. So he starts a company and receives over $120 million dollars in research funding. Within 18 months of that funding the company goes under without a thing to show for it. That is a lot of money to blow through for R&D and the investors were furious but powerless to do anything about it. There was just no more money and the company closed its doors.
Now what nobody knew was that Tony was a world class yachtsman and lived a life of extravagant luxury. Multi custom built million dollar mansion on the water in a very exclusive community, custom built prototype 85' world class yacht, exotic cars, everything. Since Tony felt that because his invention and brilliance was what caused those investors to give so much money to his research. he felt that money was HIS (just like the report of Chris berating an intern and accusing him of wasting HIS money) and there was no way in hell that he was going to be sharing that success with those peons that gave him that money at all. So when the banks came looking for him and an explanation to what he owed, he sold everything except for a couple of cars and that boat and man does he love that boat more than anything. Sold it all without a single word as to why. He just said one day he was broke and that's that.
Now I am sure you are asking yourselves "But DapperDon, how do you know about all of this and where do you come in?" Well, I am the guy that bought his house and not soon afterwards I started getting his mail from former business partners and banks as well as mail about his new business that just happened to be a parallel to the one that just closed down. You see, Tony honestly felt that money was his. All of it. And there was no way in hell he was going to share it or the rewards of his success with anyone for anything. That money did not all of a sudden dry up. When you are broke, you are not going to hang on to a money pit like an ocean faring yacht of that caliber with the maintenance that is involved with it. The storage for something of that magnitude alone is in excess of $50k per year where I live. You just can't park one of those things anywhere and leave it. So now about 2 years later he is now back in full swing only this time, there are no pesky investors or anyone that he has to answer to at all. His life is now back to one of luxury and prosperity. Magic huh?
So when I see that mia culpa video and read about the insiders leaking about how Chris really is and the new lavish lifestyle he is living now, it is not just because he is trying to impress anyone that he is a big shot. He REALLY believes that $130 million dollars is his. That he earned it from the sheer force of his own brilliance. That is why he does not feel he has to give anyone an explanation to any of the setbacks or delays or really anything at all. Because he got rewarded before he ever had to do any of the real work that entails success. Sandi is the same way. That is why she sneers at everyone for everything. They are all beneath her and the greatness that her and Chris have bestowed to everyone else to bask in. I have seen this before and can spot it a mile away. Neither of them have ever known what success really is or what it's about. People that have earned their success do not spend like they have on the things they have. That is a huge red flag when people buy lavish things like they have before the work is done. That is having zero financial responsibility is like.

Take Derek Smart for example. He is very financially well off, there is no mistaking that as fact. And those of us that know a little about him and what he has shared with us, there are a couple of interesting things about him that show how successful people are good custodians of their wealth. There are photos of him at home that any one of us can see online but it is the details that matter when you look at them. He has a beautiful office that overlooks the water, but his furniture is not of the $25k variety from some obnoxious boutique. He drives a very nice car. But it is not an overpriced exotic. His games may not have flashy studios with all sorts of custom gimmicky garage doors, but he stays within his budget. He does not promise what he knows he cannot deliver when it comes to his games either given the resources that he allocates. But most of all, unlike Chris, Derek Smart has put millions of dollars of his own money into his project. And to me, that separates the chaff from the wheat. We give Derek 10 kinds of hell on a daily basis and he is one hell of a good sport about it too. But Chris is just a piece of poo poo through and through with no class at all that just happens to wear a $30k watch because a bunch of gullible retards that have no life and no financial responsibility have given him the keys to the kingdom.

This is a Good Story

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think right now they only have the flight changes and thats going into a second revision on the test servers eventually. They are going to call the new animations Star Marine and call it a day.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Hello? Water? Hello????

And if that gets to boring for the whole day, tea! My god, tea is such a good drink once your tastebuds have recalibrated from all that sugar stuff.
It tastes great hot, it tastes great cold (with some lemon and ginger in it), and many great "teas" can be grown in your own garden (obviously non-tea-plant stuff)...

Not only cut out the sugar and replace it with something that tastes similar, because it'll only screw with you.

Embrace new drinks, even if it takes two weeks for your tastebuds to get back to beeing able to notice them.

E: gently caress, just watched the clip to the end...he calls that stuff a "better product" than water? Nasa, stop searching for traces of water, search for traces of stupid diet drinks on planets to settle on after we finished off earth.

tuo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 12, 2016

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I wonder how much of the stuff actually gets put away in one sitting though, 16 servings for that size bottle being chugged

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

their exit strategy is probably going to be "we have added additional star marine features as said on the slide. you can do a juke emote and throw a grenade in the PU. star marine is already in the PU, as previously stated. See you next year!" :jumps out window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFbHFTBwem0

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Raskolnikov posted:

Hello? Water? Hello????

Right.

Not to mention the fact I offered to help (on a semi-professional level) in the "exercise" department cause I'm not a complete poo poo human being, and because you could say I have the credentials for it, but guess how that was answered in typical CIG fashion?

That's right, it wasn't.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think right now they only have the flight changes and thats going into a second revision on the test servers eventually. They are going to call the new animations Star Marine and call it a day.
this makes the most sense to me

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

if "before xmas" is an internal deadline then not star marine will probably come out in march

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

it's fiscal christmas, of course

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

if "before xmas" is an internal deadline then not star marine will probably come out in march

Roman new year was in March. Maybe they're just on some whole other calendar

Some Mayan Long Count poo poo or something; you don't know. Who can ponder the workings of CIG? Not us mortals

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:agreed:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you'll see that its only the year 8 in CIG land so 2014 still applies, the rules never said WHAT calendar waka waka see you bitches in the year 4000 when the BDSSEE drops

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Danknificent posted:

When you boil down to it has anything really been promised for 2.6 apart from some minor fixes? I always heard 3.0 is were it's at, Spring can't come fast enough.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
In this context I'm assuming out before Christmas means Chris plans to yell at people more about hitting that date, but the plan doesn't make any material difference to their ability to actually hit that date

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

When you boil down to it has anything really been promised for 2.6 apart from some minor fixes? I always heard 3.0 is were it's at, Spring can't come fast enough.

Refactored flight model which basically changes everything IIRC. If the Evocati-leaks are correct, they struggle hard to bring balance back to the different ships (who would have thought?).

And one new flyable ship, IIRC.

And they only spent (at least) six months on it...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Gamescom Presentation, discussing 2.6 & Star Marine (start = 15m58s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YBuFI3iI&t=958s

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

I can't imagine what the sq ft per month cost is in a place like Los Angeles, and they're using all that space to let someone fart around in front of a bunch of cameras, that they pay a salary to.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

mp5 posted:

I wonder how much of the stuff actually gets put away in one sitting though, 16 servings for that size bottle being chugged

"DIETING DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. I TRIED IT, IT'S MY GENETICS!" /glug glug glug dies from diabetes

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

XK posted:

If they've really nearly exhausted the $130m, and done the same with the additional $50m they've allegedly acquired, then just lol.

I'd say it's more likely the $50m has been part of the $130m all along... fed into the public-facing funding tracker.

But that's just a wild guess. Like everyone, I don't understand game development.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

whoever just said tea is amazing and better than soda can 1. get real 2. get the hell out of this thread 3. leave this planet.

tea tastes like water tinged with stale piss

then again i am Supertaster :grin:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Guys, guys:

http://weeklybeeper.com/behind-the-scenes-at-star-citizen-hq/

It's baaaaaack

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Krycek posted:

We should make t-shirts.
Front: "I'm a goon and I killed Star Citizen"
Back: "you're welcome"

Front: "Citizen, show me on the doll where the bad goon touched you"

Front: "Star Citizen: $140 million in backer funds wasted....
Because of one dead, gay comedy forum"
Back: "Goons ruin everything"

Front: Derek Smart
Back: Was Right

Front: Derek Smart
Back: Finished

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

RtV had some sick as hell exclusive footage today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_9IXL00PQ

loving epic, and hell, makes me amped. Makes me ready for ships.

Why was there a minute of someone working on an insect?

Have they even mentioned including insects?

Why does an insect need to be modelled in that kind of detail?

So many questions!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

8 Ball posted:

So many questions!

After watching Dune, Chris decided to check out Starship Troopers.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

8 Ball posted:

So many questions!

They're just leveraging their core competency of making a bug into a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

tooterfish posted:

"DIETING DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. I TRIED IT, IT'S MY GENETICS!" /glug glug glug dies from diabetes

• Locked thread