Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

Jays are also apparently interested in Josh Reddick once Bautista turns down their QO. He was on my wishlist... I like him and a few more lefties would do them good.

Also looking at Kendrys Morales, selon Ken Rosenthal.

It seems like the Jays' offseason is going to consist of Shapiro re-enacting the Russell Peters bit about how a white guy reacts if you call him cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'd love if they picked up Reddick and shelled out to keep EE. But if EE leaves, Morales is good, obviously a better replacement than Justin Smoak. (I'm pretty sure my dead grandma would be a better player than Justin Smoak... and she's dead!)

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

I'd love if they picked up Reddick and shelled out to keep EE. But if EE leaves, Morales is good, obviously a better replacement than Justin Smoak. (I'm pretty sure my dead grandma would be a better player than Justin Smoak... and she's dead!)

Morales deal is done now. 3/33.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bye bye Edwin.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I can't belive I'm saying this, but I actually kind of have faith in Shapiro and Atkins that this is a good move. Happ loving won 20 games.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Is there a source? Is that legit?

Edwin's gotta be gone. :(

e: Rosenthal and Hey Man confirming. I am sad.

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 11, 2016

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I can't belive I'm saying this, but I actually kind of have faith in Shapiro and Atkins that this is a good move. Happ loving won 20 games.

Signing Kendrys and not paying Edwin is bad.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Signing Kendrys and not paying Edwin is bad.

This is true. Although not signing Kendrys and not paying Edwin would be worse.

e: What if Morales is DH and Edwin plays 1B and Justin Smoak gets buried under a volcano :haw:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Rowdy Tellez will emerge from spring training and smite our enemies.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Is Morales dh only ? Maybe Eddy will come back as a full time 1b .

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

This is true. Although not signing Kendrys and not paying Edwin would be worse.

e: What if Morales is DH and Edwin plays 1B and Justin Smoak gets buried under a volcano :haw:

I really don't see the Jays locking down 1b and DH for the next three years with two 34 year old hitters.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't either but hope is nice to hold on to for as long as possible.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If only they had given Edwin the 3/33 instead? :v:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They can afford to and should have given Edwin the 5years and 20-25 million per he wants.

I think the odds of the Jays bringing back Jose went way up though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They can afford to and should have given Edwin the 5years and 20-25 million per he wants.

I think the odds of the Jays bringing back Jose went way up though.

Isn't Morales DH-only? I'm not so sure how I feel about Bautista coming back to RF. I guess he's probably better than the alternatives they have before them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya most of the options out there aren't great if you believe they won't sign a player if they have to give up a draft pick. Though keeping Jose instead of signing cespedes is just trading up 15 spots or whatever.

I also have a terrifying feeling they're going to let both walk in order to stockpile those picks and then I dunno what they'll do cause all the options are bad.

Edit: Jose could probably play 1b eventually.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hand Knit posted:

Isn't Morales DH-only?

Yes, he is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I'm wondering if they overspent last year and now have to cut salary for this year (Hammel and Fowler).

Epstein was saying all last winter that Tom Ricketts allowed him to basically cram two offseasons' worth of spending into one last year because they knew this year's free agent market was going to be dogshit.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Phils just acquired Howie Kendrick.

Darin Ruf and Darnell Sweeney are going to the Dodgers.

Yeah, that's a thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Apparently Kendrick wasn't happy with his playing time on the Dodgers which is why he got dealt.

Neither of these dudes the Dodgers traded for look particularly fantastic but w/e I guess.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dexter Fowler wrote a Players Tribune article that's pretty good.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dexter-fowler-cubs-world-series-champs/

Theo, can we please keep him forever?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Good article, and that pic of his daughter as an elephant is adorable

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mentholmoose posted:

The Phils just acquired Howie Kendrick.

Darin Ruf and Darnell Sweeney are going to the Dodgers.

Yeah, that's a thing.

This seems like a push

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Highlights from Game 7 of the WS, as told in Legos

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
How much is Fowler expected to get? I'd rather have him than Jose if the prices are even remotely similar

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

How much is Fowler expected to get? I'd rather have him than Jose if the prices are even remotely similar

Probably 4 - 5 years, I'd expect the asking price to start around $15-16 million.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This seems like a push

The more I think about it the more I like it. Kendrick seems like a good bounce-back candidate and Sweeney and Ruf were never going to amount to anything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jesse Chavez somehow got 5.75 million for one year and another 3million in incentives from the Angels.

So many mediocre to bad pitchers gonna cash in this offseason.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mentholmoose posted:

The more I think about it the more I like it. Kendrick seems like a good bounce-back candidate and Sweeney and Ruf were never going to amount to anything.

I think its more likely Kendrick hits his decline phase rather than bounce back

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Pancakes posted:

Did Buehrle ever officially retire? If not, I think we all know what's coming next.

He actually didn't, he's still officially just an unsigned free agent. Although the rumour is that John Gibbons sent him a text message in August to see if he had any interest in coming back to the Jays in some role in September...

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/770369626521952256

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

Chapman got the win.

I know, we all saw the game, but don't get us started on the pitcher win stat. We all know the "closer" blew the save, and the future starter got the save (lol), and the only reason the "closer" didn't get pegged for the worst loss possible for any closer's career is because he was on the team that Does Not Quit. :colbert:

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Obviously Braves fans should start buying 2017 World Series tickets now with the young and versatile duo of RA Dickey and Bartolo Colon.

Joe Nathan's a free agent now! :v:

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Atomizer posted:

I know, we all saw the game, but don't get us started on the pitcher win stat. We all know the "closer" blew the save, and the future starter got the save (lol), and the only reason the "closer" didn't get pegged for the worst loss possible for any closer's career is because he was on the team that Does Not Quit. :colbert:

Joe Nathan's a free agent now! :v:

Saves are just as bad of a stat as wins.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I had a dream last night that I ran into Bryce Harper and we discussed hitting mechanics.

Is it baseball time yet?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

That's probably the only time Hendricks has ever been referred to as a "big horse".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

I had a dream last night that I ran into Bryce Harper and we discussed hitting mechanics.

Is it baseball time yet?

Once I had a dream about Bryce Harper, in which he asked me to sit on his lap. Then when I did, he wrapped his arms around me, looked over my shoulder, and browsed the internet on his phone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've been around Bryce before and he has very little personality. Unless he's a lot different with teammates.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

Is it baseball time yet?

I had a dream where I gave Carlos Correa my coke and he said hey kid and threw me his fedora

After that, the American people elected Trump so I must have eaten something weird before going to bed

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Is it still late to give Cleveland the WS if it means we get President-elect Clinton? We're still within 30 days!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I know I'm way late on this, but I've been on a bit of a bender since Tuesday.

Chooooooooch is a Mariner and that's so loving cool. As a Mariners/Phillies fan, the crossover players they've had are the best - Ibanez, Moyer, and now Ruiz. Now they just need to run over Steve Clevenger with a bullpen cart and ship him off to the Angels or wherever players with terrible opinions go to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Intruder posted:

I had a dream where I gave Carlos Correa my coke and he said hey kid and threw me his fedora

The drug or the beverage?

• Locked thread