Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It's probably best to view modern CoD as a subscription FPS with a yearly fee and content update, rather than a series of games. Why people shell out for Assassin Creed games every year is beyond me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

A White Guy posted:

Things dragging COD down: the fact that it has somehow made it to 27 separate iterations of the same goddamn concept with very little change between each new iteration, and yet nerds still turn out in droves to buy it.

What the gently caress, this is like 50th Mario game and you're still jumping on things??? NERDS :argh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I think in Vexx I'm finished with the 5th level, The Depths. I'm not going to bother with the 100 heart shards or the 6 bottles because the level is annoying to navigate due to being shattered into tiny mini levels. I got 80 of the heart piece things, then had to go to the volcano or the hydroenging thing, and went to the volcano as it was easier. Got to 97 shards, got stuck in a damage cycle after accidentally falling into a fire trap and being unable to escape and when it respawned me after losing the life it had reset the counter to 0. Tried again a few times but navigating The Depths is just too annoying. It also feels less cohesive, the setpieces don't feel like they belong. They feel like things from cut levels, like a couple of pirate themed challenges and the aforementioned volcano, because there is little to do with water in the level. It feels thrown together. Especially because the world is a small hub with, like, 6 side rooms that each have a heart challenge in them, it makes it feel piecemeal.
Holy Christ a loving Vexx post.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A White Guy posted:

Things dragging COD down: the fact that it has somehow made it to 27 separate iterations of the same goddamn concept with very little change between each new iteration, and yet nerds still turn out in droves to buy it. Apparently the newest COD is in space, but still uses the same loving engine from COD 4.

I loving can't believe they released *two* Rocksmith games, they have absolutely no change from any other games, they use the same loving engine as Oblivion.

Like, your complaint might have been reasonable four years ago, but lately they seem to be taking the games in way more experimental ways, and it totally pays off sometimes.

CJacobs posted:

The newest cod has the most interesting and unique premise that a game in the series has had in almost 10 years now. But it got a ton of complaints for not being the same exact game again, which makes me sad. Gamers are the thing dragging down cod.

Is multiplayer fun? BLOPS3's movement and freedom was ridiculously great - do you still get jump packs and wall running and all that stuff?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

food court bailiff posted:

I loving can't believe they released *two* Rocksmith games, they have absolutely no change from any other games, they use the same loving engine as Oblivion.

Like, your complaint might have been reasonable four years ago, but lately they seem to be taking the games in way more experimental ways, and it totally pays off sometimes.

Not to mention that at the very, very least there's the split between the WW2 stuff and the modern/futurist stuff. If you're not being a overly reductionist, there's a whole lot more, like the differences in how Infinity Ward and Treyarch approach their campaigns, or the gradual tiptoeing from Modern Warfare up into Literally In Space This Time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I wish Battlefield was that willing to mix it up. Even if it was just 2143, some sci-fi elements would really liven it up. "Basically the same but in WW1 this time" isn't really variation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I wish Battlefield was that willing to mix it up. Even if it was just 2143, some sci-fi elements would really liven it up. "Basically the same but in WW1 this time" isn't really variation.

I dunno, if I had a machine that could run it I'd snap it up in an instant. It really seems pretty cool, and I'm glad we're finally moving away from, as I have dubbed them many times in the past, frat boy Chris Kyle simulators. World War 1 is a really cool aesthetic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At this point there are four separate continuities that are set in the future: Black Ops, Ghosts, Advanced Warfare and now Infinite Warfare. They're probably 2/3rds finished making CoD 2017 and if it's the future again they're pretty hosed given Infinite's lower sales.

edit: Given CoD's love of shocking character deaths the next game will put you in the shoes of Chris Kyle for a level. His last level.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Nov 11, 2016

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At this point there are four separate continuities that are set in the future: Black Ops, Ghosts, Advanced Warfare and now Infinite Warfare. They're probably 2/3rds finished making CoD 2017 and if it's the future again they're pretty hosed given Infinite's lower sales.

edit: Given CoD's love of shocking character deaths the next game will put you in the shoes of Chris Kyle for a level. His last level.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've been waiting for a battlefield 2143 for 7 years

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

...They're probably 2/3rds finished making CoD 2017...

They're probably pretty far along on CoD 2018 too. They now have three studios heading-up different games to keep to the annual release cycle: Infinity Ward, Treyarch and now Sledgehammer. I think Sledgehammer's second game is next year (their first was Advanced Warfare).

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'd settle for just having single player bot matches like in BF1942, BF:V, and BF2. Due to Australia's horrendously slow internet, (and my ISP in particular), I keep getting kicked from matches for a high ping. (Not to mention I can't stand lag.)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Earlier today I started playing Tyranny. I only had 30 mins, so basically enough for character creation, the prologue faction roleplaying thing and the first area, but it did remind me of an annoyance with those types of games:

I hate it when it's impossible to match the available portraits with your actual character. The hairstyles or facial hair rarely match up. That was fine in the early days with Baldur's Gate and the like because the level of detail was low enough that it didn't matter, but when I choose the smug handlebar moustache portrait in Tyranny I'd like my character's model to match that, you know, and not just have a generic moustache.

Pillars of Eternity almost had it right. You could play this sort of semi-god elemental race (fire, death, nature, moonlight I think?) which had very unique looks. The problem was that out of the 3 very distinct heads you could choose from there was only one portrait for each of the types, so you either had to pick the one head they bothered to make a portrait for, or have a mismatch the entire game.

As much as I love actual portraits, if I can't make a character model to match them I'd much rather have a system like Dragon Age's, where the portrait is generated from the model.

But that's just me sperging out. Like I said, minor annoyance.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Taeke posted:

Earlier today I started playing Tyranny. I only had 30 mins, so basically enough for character creation, the prologue faction roleplaying thing and the first area, but it did remind me of an annoyance with those types of games:

I hate it when it's impossible to match the available portraits with your actual character. The hairstyles or facial hair rarely match up. That was fine in the early days with Baldur's Gate and the like because the level of detail was low enough that it didn't matter, but when I choose the smug handlebar moustache portrait in Tyranny I'd like my character's model to match that, you know, and not just have a generic moustache.

Pillars of Eternity almost had it right. You could play this sort of semi-god elemental race (fire, death, nature, moonlight I think?) which had very unique looks. The problem was that out of the 3 very distinct heads you could choose from there was only one portrait for each of the types, so you either had to pick the one head they bothered to make a portrait for, or have a mismatch the entire game.

As much as I love actual portraits, if I can't make a character model to match them I'd much rather have a system like Dragon Age's, where the portrait is generated from the model.

I was not exaggerating in the Tyranny thread when I said my first five or so hours with the game were really just looking for a portrait I could slot in for the character model I put together.

Shadowrun Hong Kong had an option that linked character models to their portrait, at least as far as it could. It would match colors and try to match facial hair, etc.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Or there's a great match face and hair wise, but you want to play a mage character and the portrait is showing their rogue knifes or huge two-handed sword... :argh: Worst is when there's cool options that don't have a portrait option at all, or vice versa.

Posting about this really made me appreciate Dragon Age's system, where the portrait was just your character's model and you used sliders to determine their expression, the way they were facing and what background and lighting you wanted to use. They really nailed that, at least.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Taeke posted:

Posting about this really made me appreciate Dragon Age's system, where the portrait was just your character's model and you used sliders to determine their expression, the way they were facing and what background and lighting you wanted to use. They really nailed that, at least.

I hated that they moved to 'arty' character portraits for DA2 and DA:I. Sure all your party members get cool unique portraits, but what do you get? A loving green glowing hand.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Has any Harvest Moon-like farming game ever just let you strafe and water things instead of making you throw water in a line or 3x3 grid?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

RareAcumen posted:

Has any Harvest Moon-like farming game ever just let you strafe and water things instead of making you throw water in a line or 3x3 grid?

Stardew Valley has sprinklers, but the watering can is still the same old poo poo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Veotax posted:

I hated that they moved to 'arty' character portraits for DA2 and DA:I. Sure all your party members get cool unique portraits, but what do you get? A loving green glowing hand.

I'd take a symbolic portrait over a wrong portrait ten times out of ten.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Since Stardew Valley has m+kb controls you can strafe instead of having to turn to face each crop individually, but there's still the pause for the watering can animation each time you use it. It makes planting and harvesting much, much easier at least since you can just hold down rmb and run around mousing over everything.

The only time the collision detection is really bad is when you're trying to milk cows.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Taeke posted:

Yeah, this really irritates me too. I wish games with portraits would give you the option of just using a screenshot of a character model.

Pillars had a kinda-cheat where some of the portraits had their faces obscured by full-face helmets or hoods so I was really surprised Tyranny didn't have similar ones.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Somfin posted:

I'd take a symbolic portrait over a wrong portrait ten times out of ten.

Oh, sure. I just meant in comparison to DA1's fantastic portrait creator.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah, this really irritates me too. I wish games with portraits would give you the option of just using a screenshot of a character model.

Pillars had a kinda-cheat where some of the portraits had their faces obscured by full-face helmets or hoods so I was really surprised Tyranny didn't have similar ones.

Or at least put the loving effort in like Baldur's Gate did. Pillars of Eternity's portrait gallery was basically all smiling, flavourless 3/4 view headshots, and two white ladies in full profile. Remember Baldur's Gate 2? Minsc's reassuring smile, Aerie's weird-rear end space eyes, Jaheira's resting "gently caress off" face? Pillars of Eternity gives all your party members fuckin' rad-rear end character portraits, but you can't use them- you're some happy goof smiling pleasantly for a painting of yourself in every single one.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Nov 11, 2016

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Since Stardew Valley has m+kb controls you can strafe instead of having to turn to face each crop individually, but there's still the pause for the watering can animation each time you use it. It makes planting and harvesting much, much easier at least since you can just hold down rmb and run around mousing over everything.

The only time the collision detection is really bad is when you're trying to milk cows.

I feel bad for bitching about the combat in a game where it's such a small aspect of the whole thing, but there's a noticeable delay between clicking to perform an action (like mining) and switching out what you're holding, so you rapidly click to mine/press your weapon hotkey/click to hit something and end up getting hit. There are some other issues (like not being able to interact with a tile one of your farm animals is standing on, the game randomly turning you towards the mouse cursor with an action when you haven't entered a directional input, trying to gift/talk to/turn in a quest to someone, and accidentally axing/hoeing/etc. your crops) that you learn to work around but which are annoying as hell for a new player. (I just "finished" it two days ago from the Humble Monthly Bundle, it's now one of my favorite games.)

RNG has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Nov 11, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Somfin posted:

Pillars of Eternity's portrait gallery was basically all smiling, flavourless 3/4 view headshots, and two white ladies in full profile.

It's an early indication of what the rest of the game is like, really.

e: also i've continued on with Gat out of Hell and have another, extremely important thing to bitch about : where the gently caress is my radio? Saints Row without Bombs Over Baghdad truly is hell.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

I was not exaggerating in the Tyranny thread when I said my first five or so hours with the game were really just looking for a portrait I could slot in for the character model I put together.

Shadowrun Hong Kong had an option that linked character models to their portrait, at least as far as it could. It would match colors and try to match facial hair, etc.

For all of its faults currently, Divinity: Original Sin 2 has fantastic character portraits that accurately reflect your customization choices. It's the little things.

On topic, I really dislike how lengthy some of the animations can be in Starcrawlers. Notably when Rookie Copbots throw poo poo at you, that takes way too long.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

dordreff posted:

It's an early indication of what the rest of the game is like, really.

e: also i've continued on with Gat out of Hell and have another, extremely important thing to bitch about : where the gently caress is my radio? Saints Row without Bombs Over Baghdad truly is hell.

The crazy things is that the game has a ton of generic metal music in the files and a functioning radio system that plays it but it only ever plays for NPCs, you can maybe catch a few seconds when a car drives by but that's it unless you mod the game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wasteland 2 did exactly that thing people want, if you don't like how any of the portraits match up, you can just have it take a snapshot of your character however you have them positioned in the view off to the side.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Persona 3. I am digging you, but the inability to see what monsters are going to attack you and the possibility that if they cast a spell that is contrary to your current persona's strength it can kill you in one hit is really loving making me not want to play anymore, God drat it. Forty-five minutes of easy breezy running through a dungeon, not even getting hit but a handful of times, never even needing healing, and then oh here's just your everyday run of the mill bad guy, whoops I missed my attack, and then uh oh killed my main character who, unlike every other party member cannot be resurrected for no loving God drat reason at all GOD drat IT.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

credburn posted:

Persona 3. I am digging you, but the inability to see what monsters are going to attack you and the possibility that if they cast a spell that is contrary to your current persona's strength it can kill you in one hit is really loving making me not want to play anymore, God drat it. Forty-five minutes of easy breezy running through a dungeon, not even getting hit but a handful of times, never even needing healing, and then oh here's just your everyday run of the mill bad guy, whoops I missed my attack, and then uh oh killed my main character who, unlike every other party member cannot be resurrected for no loving God drat reason at all GOD drat IT.

Are you playing the portable version that lets you control your party members? Or the original where you can't? Because oh man the original is great about fighting a guy that's immune to fire and unless you specifically analyze the enemy to learn it's immune, your dudes will just sit there casting fire on it forever.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Nuebot posted:

Are you playing the portable version that lets you control your party members? Or the original where you can't? Because oh man the original is great about fighting a guy that's immune to fire and unless you specifically analyze the enemy to learn it's immune, your dudes will just sit there casting fire on it forever.

Playing it on my girlfriend's PS2. I actually really dig games where your party members act on their own, but yeah, gently caress, sometimes it's just stupid.

I was trying to fight this boss for the longest time. He would cast a light-spell instant-death thing, and also had a really powerful wind attack. It was a sucky combination because the only persona I had that was immune to light magic was weak to wind, so it was kind of a toss-up which method the fucker would use to kill me. But what was REALLY annoying about it is that wind magic just healed him, and since it's a boss, it can't be analyzed, and I ran into this weird AI hiccup where if Annoying Girl cast a wind spell on it (which healed it) she would then sit out the rest of the battle and do absolutely nothing. No healing, no combat, nothing.

Also: How hard is it to hit a sentient table? How do you miss that?

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Nov 12, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think even if u can't read their info just scanning bosses should prevent your allies from using the wrong elements.

either that or you're gonna have to change everyone's tactics one by one to make sure the wrong element doesn't get casted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The DLC Midgar stage for Smash Bros 4 only has the random encounter and boss music form FFVII as tracks.

C'mon, guys, you could've done better, it's Final Fantasy. Clash on the Big Bridge, a medley of the first six random encounter themes that all have the same bassline, One Winged Angel, the choices are insane and you got lazy!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Somfin posted:

Or at least put the loving effort in like Baldur's Gate did. Pillars of Eternity's portrait gallery was basically all smiling, flavourless 3/4 view headshots, and two white ladies in full profile. Remember Baldur's Gate 2? Minsc's reassuring smile, Aerie's weird-rear end space eyes, Jaheira's resting "gently caress off" face? Pillars of Eternity gives all your party members fuckin' rad-rear end character portraits, but you can't use them- you're some happy goof smiling pleasantly for a painting of yourself in every single one.

I've put several hundred hours into baldurs gate and I can't imagine a game that makes baldurs gate's portraits look good by comparison.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Action Tortoise posted:

I think even if u can't read their info just scanning bosses should prevent your allies from using the wrong elements.

either that or you're gonna have to change everyone's tactics one by one to make sure the wrong element doesn't get casted.

Scanning a boss reveals nothing about them. Essentially, the only way you're supposed to know what not to use against a boss is just trial and error.

The only way to stop this bug was to change her tactics before she had her first action, which sometimes didn't work because the boss starts by attacking and if that knocked me down, then I didn't get a turn and can't change her tactics and by then anyway, I guess, it's all a clusterfuck.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Cleretic posted:

The DLC Midgar stage for Smash Bros 4 only has the random encounter and boss music form FFVII as tracks.

C'mon, guys, you could've done better, it's Final Fantasy. Clash on the Big Bridge, a medley of the first six random encounter themes that all have the same bassline, One Winged Angel, the choices are insane and you got lazy!

...Why the gently caress isn't Gilgamesh a character or assist trophy? He'd fit right in!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Stardew Valley: While taking th-would you like to eat this grape?-ings out of my pres-would you like to eat this grape?-erves jars and ke-would you like to eat this grape?-gs I am con-would you like to eat this grape?-stantly stopped by mess-would you like to eat this grape?-ages asking if I wo-would you like to eat this grape?-uld like to eat the it-would you like to eat this grape?-em in my hand. If left clicking worked as well as right clicking for taking items out of kegs and preserve jars as well as putting items right back in this wouldn't be a problem.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Leal posted:

Stardew Valley: While taking th-would you like to eat this grape?-ings out of my pres-would you like to eat this grape?-erves jars and ke-would you like to eat this grape?-gs I am con-would you like to eat this grape?-stantly stopped by mess-would you like to eat this grape?-ages asking if I wo-would you like to eat this grape?-uld like to eat the it-would you like to eat this grape?-em in my hand. If left clicking worked as well as right clicking for taking items out of kegs and preserve jars as well as putting items right back in this wouldn't be a problem.

Dude, just swap the selected item to a tool or whatever. I keep my scythe in 2 so nothing happens while I run around collecting crops/kegs/eggs.

...I say as I realize that yeah restocking kegs at the same time is, hm.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ive been playing the demo and just transitioned to the full game, and I got a quest in Planet Explorers to kill/scare off the lowest tier animal that actively hunts you. Cool, I remember seeing them around!

An hour later, I'm still looking for one. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

credburn posted:

Scanning a boss reveals nothing about them. Essentially, the only way you're supposed to know what not to use against a boss is just trial and error.

The only way to stop this bug was to change her tactics before she had her first action, which sometimes didn't work because the boss starts by attacking and if that knocked me down, then I didn't get a turn and can't change her tactics and by then anyway, I guess, it's all a clusterfuck.

yeah, it's dumb that bosses can't be scanned. i could have sworn doing it at least caused your team's ai to avoid dropping turns by healing them, though.