Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

reminder that people died for your minimum wage

and for Ben Carson's presidential campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
btw i'm not saying that people need to be ready to die right now, we're nowhere near that bad yet, but anyone wringing their hands over these protests needs to fuc koff

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

no wait, it's hugs isn't it?

gotta be hugs.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pomp posted:

reminder that people died for your minimum wage

poo poo, people died for your weekend

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

wizard on a water slide posted:

i'm still not convinced the white working class, rather than the landed white middle class, the elderly, and a lack of dem/progressive/leftist/minority enthusiasm for clinton, were responsible for the results

everybody on the right and on the far left keeps saying it but none of them provide me with anything other than anecdotes and spite when i ask them to prove it

it smells a lot like everybody just buying into a narrative the right has been using forever

You can check the exit polls but small towns/rural folks overwhelmingly voted for Trump. Suburbs went to Trump as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm sure you're at least partly aware of this but it's not a matter of forgetting, most schools don't talk about that poo poo and the popular narrative of the civil rights movement is that pacifist hero mlk jr got blacks equal treatment by standing around and letting people punch him in the face until their arms got tired

yeah I'm aware, and I should stop being such a loving history nerd I suppose

it's amazing how many lies school teaches you. you grow up and if you start doing any research at all you realize that literally everything they taught you about american history was an overly-sanitized lie and I can't help but think we're here right now partially because of that

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

i forget, what's humanities oldest, deepest, and most easily understood language again?

is it.... is it french? that seems wrong, what am i talking about here.

its violence

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Serf posted:

it's amazing how many lies school teaches you. you grow up and if you start doing any research at all you realize that literally everything they taught you about american history was an overly-sanitized lie and I can't help but think we're here right now partially because of that

We are here because no one reads Marx like they should.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Serf posted:

Just wait till the enxt batch of hosed over kids hit adulthood after reading textbooks that were all "And the black slaves freely migrated to the US in search of a better life."

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Penisaurus Sex posted:

lol

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

you know, since he's from a region that affected this election maybe we should forgive him like nate silver

also

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/797161371825737729

it's keith

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

You can check the exit polls but small towns/rural folks overwhelmingly voted for Trump. Suburbs went to Trump as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

I don't doubt that, what I'm curious about is

1) if it's actually different than how they turned out predictably for the gop in almost every other modern election

2) whether "suburbs went to trump" should be taken as an indicator of how the "working class" or white poor think, because the city mouse/country mouse narrative of rich and poor is some real hokey bullshit (as a person who lives in a rural area with a low cost of living and a bunch of millionaires who voted for donald trump)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

reminder that Gandhi only managed what he did because he was the sole thing, or at least succeeded in making the british believe he was, stopping massive massive violence from breaking out, and he kept loving threatening to kill himself if the british didn't listen

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
lol all that "guns are for pussies" talk has pretty much dried up since 72 hours ago

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I don't doubt that, what I'm curious about is

1) if it's actually different than how they turned out predictably for the gop in almost every other modern election

2) whether "suburbs went to trump" should be taken as an indicator of how the "working class" or white poor think, because the city mouse/country mouse narrative of rich and poor is some real hokey bullshit (as a person who lives in a rural area with a low cost of living and a bunch of millionaires who voted for donald trump)

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/797106497247449088

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/797109101679570944

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

you know, since he's from a region that affected this election maybe we should forgive him like nate silver

also

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/797161371825737729

donald trump runs for dnc chair, cites air bud clause

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

das kapital

(Blows dust)

my god its a cookbook!!!!!!!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

reminder that Gandhi only managed what he did, or at least succeeded in making the british believe he was, because he was the sole person stopping massive massive violence from breaking out, and he kept loving threatening to kill himself if the british didn't listen

fixed your post for you and also :yeah:

I'm not too educated on india's situation at the time, but lol at everyone who thinks it was just because he wasn't eating.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

Just wait till the enxt batch of hosed over kids hit adulthood after reading textbooks that were all "And the black slaves freely migrated to the US in search of a better life."

this poo poo burns my loving butt

if we taught kids how poo poo really went down in this country and encouraged them to not make the same mistakes that we did, I would have some hope that they could turn out better

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Just wait till the enxt batch of hosed over kids hit adulthood after reading textbooks that were all "And the black slaves decided to remain slaves because they were extremely happy, then evil Lincoln came"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Al! posted:

das kapital

(Blows dust)

my god its a cookbook!!!!!!!

Capital is actually a really useful text, but it's incredibly dense and unforgiving if you don't have a firm handle on the stuff Marx is conjuring up.

I'm speaking more specifically about his texts on the 1848-1851 French revolution.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Remember when Maddow did the predictable blame third parties excuse, not admitting that Hillary was a bad canidate.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Capital is actually a really useful text, but it's incredibly dense and unforgiving if you don't have a firm handle on the stuff Marx is conjuring up.

I'm speaking more specifically about his texts on the 1848-1851 French revolution.

i would say this happened not because nobody reads that stuff but because the people who read that stuff tend to in application mostly use it to teach undergrads

Serf
May 5, 2011

"listen kids I know we've had a lot of fun here today in third grade history class, but jim crow was some serious poo poo and racial discrimination is bad. Also, racial divides are a lie fabricated by the rich to keep us from uniting together and eating them."

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

trump really does look miserable, almost pleading in some of those pictures. meanwhile hillary looks happier than ever. the presidential disease is finally gone from her body

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Al! posted:

i would say this happened not because nobody reads that stuff but because the people who read that stuff tend to in application mostly use it to teach undergrads

Maybe. An understanding of history is v. useful though, especially if you want to understand the reason why things are happening in the present.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

etalian posted:

Remember when Maddow did the predictable blame third parties excuse, not admitting that Hillary was a bad canidate.

i'm not going to throw a fit if someones first instincts are wrong

now if she keeps on screwing the pooch, sure

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

i'm not going to throw a fit if someones first instincts are wrong

now if she keeps on screwing the pooch, sure

The numbers tell a different story, Maddow was just bitter that Yaas Queen turned out to be such a weak ineffective canidate.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
anybody post this yet?

Students Face Racially-Charged Taunts In VP-Elect Pence’s Hometown

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mike Pence will strongly condemn these words & actions and will also do so in a public statement and literally no other way.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

Mike Pence will strongly condemn these words & actions and will also do so in a public statement and literally no other way.

quote:

“Pray that we may find our way forward as a nation, that we may renew the American dream,” Pence said. “Heal the divisions in our country and move forward to a more prosperous future.”

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/JOE_co_uk/status/797189680458395649

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/797118397225922560

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!