Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

botany posted:

No you moron I'm saying that the most likely case is that he offered to help with their investigations in exactly the same way he has been helping German, British, French, US media and others: By helping people make sense of the documents that were released

Those documents and that information are all classified! How are you not getting this?

E: you were caught denying the very thing that you are talking about in your post!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tir McDohl posted:

Exactly, and even though she might not cut it in 2020, this is the time for rising stars in the Democratic Party to start, well, rising. The bench was depleted, and we are now living the nightmare. We need to keep an eye on the democrats who do the best job resisting and sticking to their values.

Remember when USPOL attacked Bernie for being too ideologically pure?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dancer posted:

You're setting up a massive strawman. Hillary campaign on min wage, on affordable healthcare, on paid family leave, etc. Economic policy was just as much a part of her platform as women's rights and civil rights.

Also I'm pretty sure I followed the same campaign you did, and I am genuinely at a loss as to what you might mean with the "very deliberate attempt". The closest thing I can think of is when a bunch of people said that berniebros may have been racist or sexist. I legit cannot think of a single moment right now where someone said or implied that minimum wage is racist, or cheaper student loans is racist or something like that.
Right or wrong, Hillary was not credible on economic issues for a lot of people. She ran on a good platform, Presidents stick to their platform more than most people realize, and I think she would have been a good President on that basis. Still, she represented a wing of the party that has consistently stymied and marginalized the Democrats who fight for real economic justice and those people didn't show up to the polls. Just upthread someone said Trump won on the economy. It's more like Hillary lost on the economy but yeah, the effect is the same.

As far as accusations of sexism or racism go, for Bernie personally people just brought up that he hadn't done much for minorities as Senator. Personally, I think his take is that racial issues are class issues (I don't completely agree with him on this) and went forward on that basis. That meant he didn't have a lot of legislation to his name with benefits explicitly for minorities. Much like Bernie voters didn't see Hillary as credible on economic justice, Hillary voters didn't see Bernie as credible on racial justice. In this case, I think we can say the inverse of the conventional media wisdom holds true: both sides are wrong.

As for this board though, yeah accusations of sexism and racist gone thrown around willy-nilly for basically the entire primary season. By the time the general came along most Bernie supporters had just stopped posting. I liked both candidates but if you were enthusiastic about Bernie and not really for Hillary, D&D has been a hostile place for the past year.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Not to be a bitter Bernie supporter but he had massive appeal to the same demographics of which were HRC's undoing-white persons along the Midwest and Rustbelt, especially in Michigan where he pulled the biggest upset during the primary. I'm not saying that the DNC should by any means double down on white voters, but they'd do well to realize that one of his key appeals was how he fought for economic equality. I'm Mexican-American and Bernie's platforms of a $15 minimum wage, free state tuition, and single payer healthcare appealed to me much more than Clinton's listicle of what she had in common with my abuela. That's what I admired about Bernie and what the DNC should do-instead of taking their minority demographic appeal for granted, actually fight for it and all demographics by extension starting with economic equality and building from that foundation up. Look towards Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and the other progressive politicians who will gather around them. After all, a rising tide lifts all boats. It'd serve them well if they remembered that.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah that was pretty stupid

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
hillary appointed tim "deregulate the banks" kaine as her vp in a direct middle finger to people who were hoping she gave a poo poo about classism so lets really not talk about what her platform technically did or did not say.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The Democrats need to ditch Hollywood. No one cares what any of these people think.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Panzeh posted:

Hillary ran on an economic platform that was very acceptable to Goldman Sachs and was very very careful not to expound on any position other than that because she believes finance is and should continue to be the supreme force in american politics.

Serious question: what would it have taken for you to believe her sincerity on her leftish platform? What would she have had to do?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

I'm convinced that progressivism is the way forward and the more recent examples of the 2006 and the 2008 elections bear that out. Still, are there parallels here? Are we at risk of a 1980-1984/type situation and if so, what can we do to avoid it?

I doubt it. Not even counting the amount of differences between the American populace between 1980 and now, Reagan was able to do what he did because he was extremely popular and Trump is not that. He is one of the most unpopular presidential candidates ever and barely won against one of the other most unpopular presidential candidates ever with pitifully low turnout, and even then he couldn't win the popular vote. At least half the country hates him and this is his honeymoon period, his popularity will sink even lower when he inevitably fails to deliver on his impossibly vague and grand promises and the economy tanks. He can try to blame Obama for his failures, but Obama's approval numbers are sky-high and I don't see them falling any time soon.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

hillary appointed tim "deregulate the banks" kaine as her vp in a direct middle finger to people who were hoping she gave a poo poo about classism so lets really not talk about what her platform technically did or did not say.
Also the guy who replaced Howard Dean as chair of the DNC and dismantled the 50-state strategy which was responsible for wins in 2006 and 2008.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Serious question: what would it have taken for you to believe her sincerity on her leftish platform? What would she have had to do?
She could have selected Bernie as her VP and put a progressive in as the chair of the DNC. That would have won her the election handily IMO.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kilroy posted:

Also the guy who replaced Howard Dean as chair of the DNC and dismantled the 50-state strategy which was responsible for wins in 2006 and 2008.

...Okay, I might have to hand in my politics wonk card. Or at least submit myself to discipline and probationary standing. :saddowns:

Edit: Kilroy, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on the hypothetical alternate universe Hillary solution, but I am curious about the range of answers, seeing as what got done didn't work. :v: I'm one of the people who was pretty enthusiastic to vote for Hillary, so I'm clearly not one of the people most qualified to weigh in on how to energize the disillusioned.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

So, while we're discussing whether and how the Democratic party will be pushed to the left over the next two years, I'm looking at past historical elections and right now I'm looking really closely at 1980. Populist Presidential candidate humiliates the Democrats and enacts a series of sweeping reforms the fallout of which we continue to deal with today. In 1984 the Democrats run Walter Mondale who is reasonably to the left, also they run the first female VP on the ticket. They get their asses absolutely handed to them and the lovely polities enacted by Reagan are cemented into the fabric or our government, into how a lot of people think about how the world works at a basic level, and Reagan becomes a Christ figure for the Right.

Oh and Reagan is involved in a shitload of serious, even treasonous, scandals and no one gives a poo poo.

Thoughts:

• I don't really know Mondale's politics that well. I know that by 1984 neoliberalism was already a driving force in the party, but I think it was in about the same place progressivism is now - the center of gravity was shifting in that direction but people still remembered the New Deal coalition and the Democratic party was still seen as the party of the working class. To what degree was Mondale any different from Carter?
  • Reagan actually won the popular vote in 1980. His victory was clear and while the Left seemed to see what was coming and already hated his guts, he had mandate and the basic support of the people who were ready for something different. People weren't protesting across the country on the scale they are right now, when he was elected.
  • Reagan took office during an serious economic recession and right after the humiliation of America in Iran. The recovery which has been steadily improving things during the Obama administration hasn't been good enough (clearly) but the numbers are up. On the other hand many people perceive the economy to be in the shitter, and that's more important than the numbers. Still, I don't think Trump is going to be able to take credit for a favorable business cycle or anything like Reagan could. In foreign affairs though, Obama has done reasonably well combating ISIS, but not enough to tie it off. They are probably going to be defeated early in Trump's first term and Trump is going to take credit for that 100%.
  • On that note, Reagan's administration is when income inequality really took off and has never looked back. It wasn't, compared to what we have now, that serious an issue then, and was not on the mind of most voters. It kinda is now and I don't think it will improve under Trump - it will almost certainly accelerate.

I'm convinced that progressivism is the way forward and the more recent examples of the 2006 and the 2008 elections bear that out. Still, are there parallels here? Are we at risk of a 1980-1984/type situation and if so, what can we do to avoid it?
Mondale 84 was pretty much a strange attempt to appeal to the new neoliberal yuppie Boomers while also appealing to the working class roots, it got neither. Think Red Ed 2015.

Benny the Snake posted:

Not to be a bitter Bernie supporter but he had massive appeal to the same demographics of which were HRC's undoing-white persons along the Midwest and Rustbelt, especially in Michigan where he pulled the biggest upset during the primary. I'm not saying that the DNC should by any means double down on white voters, but they'd do well to realize that one of his key appeals was how he fought for economic equality. I'm Mexican-American and Bernie's platforms of a $15 minimum wage, free state tuition, and single payer healthcare appealed to me much more than Clinton's listicle of what she had in common with my abuela. That's what I admired about Bernie and what the DNC should do-instead of taking their minority demographic appeal for granted, actually fight for it and all demographics by extension starting with economic equality and building from that foundation up. Look towards Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and the other progressive politicians who will gather around them. After all, a rising tide lifts all boats. It'd serve them well if they remembered that.
No, all bernie bros are white boys. They all are insensitive racists who jsut want minorities to be wrecked and only care about economy because it helps them!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

I doubt it. Not even counting the amount of differences between the American populace between 1980 and now, Reagan was able to do what he did because he was extremely popular and Trump is not that. He is one of the most unpopular presidential candidates ever and barely won against one of the other most unpopular presidential candidates ever with pitifully low turnout, and even then he couldn't win the popular vote. At least half the country hates him and this is his honeymoon period, his popularity will sink even lower when he inevitably fails to deliver on his impossibly vague and grand promises and the economy tanks. He can try to blame Obama for his failures, but Obama's approval numbers are sky-high and I don't see them falling any time soon.

2020 might be good timing for the glorious revolution. If progressivism can sweep then, we also get to win the next round of gerrymandering

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

At the very least some of the worst posters in that regard were permabanned.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panzeh posted:

Hillary ran on an economic platform that was very acceptable to Goldman Sachs and was very very careful not to expound on any position other than that because she believes finance is and should continue to be the supreme force in american politics.

While wrong, that you, and probably a bunch of others, believe this goes a big way to explaining why she lost

Like the flip side of why she beat Sanders in the primary: she had a long-established relationship with both the minority base of the Democratic Party and also the 90s' (rightly or wrongly) concept of the start of the decline of rural America

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to the first internet video of someone recently awoken from a coma finding out Donald Trump is actually the President-elect.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Kilroy posted:

The Democrats need to ditch Hollywood. No one cares what any of these people think.

Unless Oprah was calling Trump a racist I imagine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

2020 might be good timing for the glorious revolution. If progressivism can sweep then, we also get to win the next round of gerrymandering

Wouldn't we have to sweep in 2018 for that?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm looking forward to the first internet video of someone recently awoken from a coma finding out Donald Trump is actually the President-elect.

ehhhhhh this is the closest thing i've got

http://www.vice.com/read/i-might-have-been-the-last-person-in-america-to-learn-who-won-the-election?utm_source=vicetwitterus

quote:

As I write this, I've just voted and am about to turn off notifications for all my texts, news apps, and social media accounts in an effort go as long as possible without learning who won the US Presidential election. Similar to abstract, knowledge-dependent games like "avoiding finding out the winner of the Super Bowl" or The Game (sorry), the premise is simple: try to live a (relatively) normal while avoiding the biggest news story in the world. The second I'm made aware of this information, I've lost.

quote:

DAY 4

9:00 AM
I'm about to learn the results. I'm giddy with anticipation. I don't care which way this goes anymore, I'm just happy I get to return to society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPhaSWHK5mk

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Kilroy posted:

She could have selected Bernie as her VP and put a progressive in as the chair of the DNC. That would have won her the election handily IMO.

The second part yes, the first no, I'm not sure why anyone thinks Bernie would have accepted VP nod even if it were offered (which it should have been if it wasn't but I don't remember her shortlist). Like, go be VP and do basically nothing while there was massive uncertainty even in the polling on the prospect of Dems getting to 50 in the Senate and risk someone less progressive ending up in his seat, or hold his seat and try to get ranking chair on a committee and be able to spend his days trying to actually affect the changes he championed the whole primary. For him to be willing to accept an offer at being VP he would have to believe back in July that a) Hillary right now will absolutely lose, at a time when polling wrong as it ended up being wasn't pointing that direction and b) Bernie being the VP would absolutely turn that around and guarantee her victory. Bernie seems like a confident guy but not an arrogant one.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Wouldn't we have to sweep in 2018 for that?

I think we need to worry more about defense in 2018 than anything else. 2014 was a republican wave in the senate so there will be a disproportionate number of republican seats available in 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Donald Trump has become the first American President to support Israeli annexation of the West Bank and pledged to veto any U.N. resolution that attempts to restrict settlements or label settlements an "impediment to peace" or "illegal."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-adviser-israeli-settlement-building-not-an-impediment-to-peace-1478812976

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Bernie was like 29th on her list of potential VPs if I recall.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Seriously go and talk about how much the banks ruined everything in 2008 and continue to try to do so. Talk about how screwed the working man has gotten. Imply that Donald Trump is buddies with JP Morgan. There are a bunch of popular things she could have said. Unfortunately, her positioning beforehand was terrible and her credibility would have been tough anyway.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Tir McDohl posted:

I think we need to worry more about defense in 2018 than anything else. 2014 was a republican wave in the senate so there will be a disproportionate number of republican seats available in 2020

It's also important to win state-level races even if Congress can't be reasonably flipped. I know that there's a competitive special election in Washington next year that will decide whether Dems have full control of the state legislature.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Kilroy posted:

The Democrats need to ditch Hollywood. No one cares what any of these people think

On the other hand, this election showed that charisma and celebrity status matters more than any political experience or platform. I can't wait till every primary has at least one old actor in it :suicide: .

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/11/why_did_some_white_obama_voters_for_trump.html

A good Jamelle Bouie article about how it was in fact about white supremacy.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donald-trump-is-the-leader-america-was-promised-1788791098

Or a good Tom Scocca article about how it was in fact the republicans destroying the belief in the government.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/opinion/im-a-coastal-elite-from-the-midwest-the-real-bubble-is-rural-america

or a good Patrick Thornton article about how white people suck because they segregate themselves. (oh and he is a white person who acknowledges he once sucked himself)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This NYT piece about how trump is pretty much going to be a part time president is hilarious. Good job Trump voters.

https://t.co/ll8VKZvDll

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I'm going to miss Harry Reid.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And not to be a bitter Bernie supporter, either, but I'll trust the photos of him marching with Civil Rights protesters over the photos of Hillary interning for the Nixon admin as evidence of who would actually be stronger on race issues

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

speng31b posted:

I'm going to miss Harry Reid.

Dude boxed his father-in-law

FuturePastNow posted:

And not to be a bitter Bernie supporter, either, but I'll trust the photos of him marching with Civil Rights protesters over the photos of Hillary interning for the Nixon admin as evidence of who would actually be stronger on race issues

It's not like I think Clinton is evil. I'm aware of the good work she did for civil rights during the 60s. It's just as she is now, she's become a compromised shadow of her former self. Someone who stood by as senator while Wall Street burned the economy down, for starters. Some might die a hero or live long enough to become a villain, but others don't lose that fire.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 12, 2016

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Donald Trump has become the first American President to support Israeli annexation of the West Bank and pledged to veto any U.N. resolution that attempts to restrict settlements or label settlements an "impediment to peace" or "illegal."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-adviser-israeli-settlement-building-not-an-impediment-to-peace-1478812976

Cool, can't wait for Netanyahu's next nvasion of Palestine to go full genocide.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

It's also important to win state-level races even if Congress can't be reasonably flipped. I know that there's a competitive special election in Washington next year that will decide whether Dems have full control of the state legislature.

Oh def. more than loving anything dems need to score victories locally, and in off-year elections. I don't know how we get people to vote more than once every four years but dammit I was guilty of that and this election is gonna get me off my rear end in 2018.

We relied too much on being able to get the presidency relatively frequently.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

^ you don't need to get off your rear end and vote, you need to get off your rear end and accept odessa's mantle of the resistance army while taking that castle in lake toran

GreyjoyBastard posted:

be male.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

That's pretty awesome, thanks! Also :smith:

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

You're part of the problem

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

:lol:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

The thing to remember about Bernie is that he is way, way to the left of the Electorate.

His signature issue, Single Payer, lost. No, lost is the wrong word. It got eviscerated. It was 80/20. 60 loving points. In Colorado. He didn't even get a majority of democratic voters to vote for it in a blue state.

Would Bernie have won is an interesting because it could go either way. The race was so close. 1% more Dem turn out and it is a clear win. But also remember than 1% less turn out is a huge loss.

But like all "What ifs..." it is impossible to prove or disprove.

Xae fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think the best thing for a new Democratic party to do is promise unrelenting fire and brimstone to lawbreakers in the Trump administration. None of this bullshit ignoring of Bush era war crimes, if they want to rile up the base they need to take the Lock Her Up page from Trump's playbook and promise harsh retribution against any future transgressions.

As a benefit, it may give some of the more cowardly evil men eying up their seats next to Trump some pause.

• Locked thread