Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

there's a good argument that the comey letter and their hyping of it is an immediate cause of trump's victory lol

fixing the democratic party is the proper topic for the democratic autopsy thread but don't let anyone (media particularly) forget that the national media are directly responsible for every awful thing that happens in the next 2-8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MJ12 posted:

I think these two posts are interesting together because I want to say that there's no contradiction between progressive, leftist policy and not being anti-business. A lot of progressive policy is good for companies and investors if they can get their heads out of their asses and look at the long term.

Universal healthcare means your workers spend less time roughing it and more time working as healthy, productive workers than miserable fucksticks! Working conditions that don't suck poo poo mean you have healthy productive workers who spend a longer time working rather than guys who keel over at 50 from black lung! Stable economic policy rather than 'lol let the markets decide' means you're less likely to run face-first into a recession when you're unprepared and lose everything! Environmentalism is a job opportunity-and it's kind of hard to spend your money when your financial centers are literally underwater due to rising sea levels. Etc.

I don't think it's impossible to sell the majority of the democratic establishment on non-incrementalist progressive platforms. And you don't need to convince all of them, just convince enough that the rest quietly get out of your way and don't work against you.

All of those things are long-term good for society, which is good for "business". However in the short term all of those things mean fewer quarterly profits, either because having to pay experienced people more then new people, installing more safety devices, changing processes or decreasing pollution, both of which will cause at least a short-term loss of profit.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Remember when Trump spent two years calling CNN corrupt and criminal, so in response they hired his "former" campaign manager and actually paid him to recite Trump propaganda on TV?

I bet that kind of horrible treatment really taught them a lesson about standing up to fascism.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fast Luck posted:

Maybe now we'll work with Russia to take out Al Qaeda in Syria

jfc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fast Luck posted:

These were Bernie's appointments to the platform committee

West is a massive jackoff who called obama a ton of awful race poo poo. gently caress that assfuck. the rest are good choices though.

i mean, he ist fully wrong and it sounds like trump wants to crack down on anyone who says bad things about him so who knows what will happen.

comingafteryouall posted:

I don't know if this would have worked for Donald Trump, though. Trump lying his rear end off didn't matter because Clinton was completely untrustworthy. But if he's up against a real honest politician with actual principals? Stuff might have mattered.

This is the most terrifying prospect I have ever faced while following American politics.

Holy gently caress.

yeah, we are hosed if they actualy rule together. I am hoping there is still some internal division in the GOP though.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You cannot bemoan sell outs while hoping we shack up with Oligarchs.ru. Nothing good will ever come out of making the literal richest man on earth happy.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Well What Now posted:

Actually we do need a message. We need the message that under Trump and the Republicans everyone is going to be even worse than what we had before Obama. I don't think anyone has any illusions that Trump was telling them the truth, but he deigned to address their concerns even if those concerns have no basis in reality.

Having said that, everything else you say is right.

What we need is a message and a goddamned followthrough.

Here's the thing. We DO NOT need a message that under Trump and Republicans everything will be worse. Half the country already knows that. The other half is about to have the chance to find out. We never need to tell people that they are or are going to be miserable. They can figure that out for themselves. All the "you're going to be worse" message does is take things that people care about hostage. You're pointing a gun at LGBT rights, or Roe v. Wade or whatever and saying "Vote for me, or you'll be sorry!" And then one person in the back pulls out a pistol and shoots the hostage whilst shouting "MAGA."

What we DO need as a message is that there's a party that gives a poo poo about everyone, that is listening to everyone, and is working on real, workable solutions for everyone. We need to kick identity politics to the loving garbage can where it belongs, and replace it with unity politics. Not "You must conform" unity but "You're cool as you are, let's work together, ok?" unity. And you know, if the DNC wants to keep dicking around with internal power plays and keeping people from the Clinton machine in the inner circle, then we need to either start a tea-partyesque movement or just bail and let them shrivel and die.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Extremely Hot Take incoming: Alienated people who voted for Trump were absolutely right to do so, because if Clinton had won the establishment would claim to be validated (despite losing Congress, and downtickets) and then nothing would have changed. Their lives would still be mired in the poo poo while every woke pipsqueak confidently asserted that they don't matter.

cold water take: no

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lastgirl posted:

Powercrazy, watch the racism chat if you're going to be inflammatory about it, thanks in advance.

We should call for political capital instead, starting obviously with progressive control of the dnc as the left wanted when DWS kept shooting them down

:angel:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

All of those things are long-term good for society, which is good for "business". However in the short term all of those things mean fewer quarterly profits, either because having to pay experienced people more then new people, installing more safety devices, changing processes or decreasing pollution, both of which will cause at least a short-term loss of profit.

It depends on what you start with and the message you put out for it. If you get a large cash infusion to the poor and middle class that's a short term boost in products being sold, services utilized that increases profits and energizes the economy.

Then you just have to sell it as it being better than fat cats on Wall Street taking that money out of the country and sitting on it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

disenfranchised people weren't "right" to vote for trump

they just didn't have any other loving option

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Disenfranchised people, who have been shot in the nuts, are right to shoot themselves in the nuts again

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

capitalism, or rather capitalists, are inherently self destructive and also incredibly incredibly loving powerful

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zikan posted:

post-presidency before the world got turned upside down, obama was making plans with eric holder to fight against gerrymandering and for voter access which will be important, especially in the age of voter suppression that the trump presidency will entail. that would be a good project to do where he can act as a leader without getting involved with the upcoming civil war

I'm so glad he was planning on waiting until after he stopped being the most powerful man in the world to try and do something

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

This is hilariously optimistic at best, and incredibly naive at worse.

I meant the Democratic Party has very little power, not the people in control don't. The NYC oligarchs and SF tech lords absolutely have power, but the party is in decline. If they want to make it work as a governing body, they need a direction that gives results.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Venom Snake posted:

You cannot bemoan sell outs while hoping we shack up with Oligarchs.ru. Nothing good will ever come out of making the literal richest man on earth happy.

Totally, but at the same time that doesn't mean Obama's pushing for a war 6 years ago was a good idea, nor is air dropping crates of weapons to the "good" rebels going to fix anything.

I mean I've actually been to Syria and saw parts of it and met ordinary Syrians in my own limited tourist kind of way, so I'm not without empathy. Assad is absolutely a murderous monster, but so much of the Middle East is such a ball of poo poo politically the only way not to get poop all over your hands is to not touch it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

especially since al qaeda's on our payroll there

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

cool Keith Ellison, the future DNC chair, fact

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/797072477453172736

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

capitalists are basically golum and profits are their one ring only they are in charge of everything to the extent that everyone depends on them

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/irl/status/797249962320990208

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cinnamon Bear posted:

especially since al qaeda's on our payroll there

The existence of the kurdish people is a myth.

mrmcd posted:

Totally, but at the same time that doesn't mean Obama's pushing for a war 6 years ago was a good idea

I agree. But people are not going to look back on the United States fondly for doing not much at all about about the genocide happening in Syria right now.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really, really sad that Trump is going to pull the rug out from under the Kurds and they are going to get gassed by everyone. Again.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i really really loving hate having to say this, because i really do deeply care about nearly every loving person on this planet, even the stupid mean ones, but we've got bigger problems than syria

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Venom Snake posted:

The existence of the kurdish people is a myth.

I agree. But people are not going to look back on the United States fondly for doing not much at all about about the genocide happening in Syria right now.

Don't worry. Come January, FP will be routed through Moscow

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

Lol. I unfollowed that dude. I get his point but he's so obsessed with the "white working class" that it gets scary. It's the only thing he tweets about besides rapeghazi drama

He was 100% right, though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
posting on the next 4 years page

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

a lot of loving people are going to die everywhere because we let this poo poo bag, and the gop, win

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

NecroMonster posted:

a lot of loving people are going to die everywhere because we let this poo poo bag, and the gop, win

To be fair 'a lot of loving people are going to die everywhere' is basically the description of post-WW2 US foreign policy. In that, Trump is possibly the first actual break.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I made the mistake once of posting in the Syria thread in D&D, and I brought up the inescapable fact that if the Salafists we were supporting won against the government, there would be an Allawi genocide. The reaction in that thread was to say that, basically, sometimes a genocide is necessary.

DO. NOT. BE. THOSE. PEOPLE.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

i really really loving hate having to say this, because i really do deeply care about nearly every loving person on this planet, even the stupid mean ones, but we've got bigger problems than syria

We can actually help people at home and abroad at the same time. But they are all going to die because Bush invaded Iraq and 4 people died in Bengazhi and we aren't allowed to touch the middle east anymore. I actually know someone whose literally the last person left in his family because they all got killed by Assad. They worked for the Syrian government lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pick posted:

Disenfranchised people, who have been shot in the nuts, are right to shoot themselves in the nuts again

What did they have to lose? :smugdon:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I made the mistake once of posting in the Syria thread in D&D, and I brought up the inescapable fact that if the Salafists we were supporting won against the government, there would be an Allawi genocide. The reaction in that thread was to say that, basically, sometimes a genocide is necessary.

Turkeys government has already arrested a large amount of the Kurdish political leaders. The Kurdish people are going to spend another couple of decades getting brutally prosecuted, gassed, and uprooted from their homes and we are going to do nothing. These people put their faith in us. And they are all going to die.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
wow Friday night getting dark

I finished writing my class so I'm gonna go out and desperately try to have a fleeting moment of happiness

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The people who have been posting in the Middle East thread for the last five years or so have been ground down by the numerous atrocities the Assad regime has committed and allowed to go unpunished and uncared for. 400,000-plus people have died in the Syrian Civil War, and the vast, vast majority of them has been the result of the Assad regime. There's a genocide happening right now.

Anyone that wants to 'buddy up with Russia and Assad to get al-Qaeda in Syria' does not care about international justice, period.

SoggyBobcat has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Nov 12, 2016

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Assad is not committing genocide against Sunnis and accusing him of basically the only war crime he hasn't committed undermines every other accusation

This is a very fishmech post but most definitions of genocide don't include political beliefs. Mass murder and torture isn't as catchy but it's actually true

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What bitch

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Turkeys government has already arrested a large amount of the Kurdish political leaders. The Kurdish people are going to spend another couple of decades getting brutally prosecuted, gassed, and uprooted from their homes and we are going to do nothing. These people put their faith in us. And they are all going to die.

Yeah, kid, and who do you think sold Turkey all of the weapons they're using to do that? What massive international alliance is Turkey a part of?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

'Thanks, Hillary!"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

NecroMonster posted:

I mean I get this but then again the alternative was a No-Fly Zone and boots on the ground, both of which would have put the US in a direct armed confrontation with Russia.

It sucks but geopolitics is a dirty game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it's going to be extremely cool when trump invades iran

• Locked thread