Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

Speaking of comic books, the new young black woman who is going to be Iron Man's replacement had her first issue come out.

I was excited for this until I got to the middle of the comic and:

Her seemingly middle class family was having a picnic in the park when suddenly a random drive-by comes and kills her step dad and her best friend

Why do white writers think the only two black backgrounds is hood violence or the Huxtables?

Batman, Spiderman and I'm sure many other heroes all started with having a family member killed in a random act of violence.

Is it the specific details of the killing that strikes you as the writers resorting to a hood violence stereotype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I keep seeing this comic making the rounds around the internet. While this is explicitly focused on Islamophobic bigotry it seems like it could be applied to anti-black harassment.

This just seems like a variation of the old "Just ignore the bullies and they'll go away" advice certain parents give their kids in school that never works. It seems like it'd be really jarring for someone being harassed to suddenly get engaged by a random lady asking about the weather. Has anyone who has been in a scenario like this found this to be an effective strategy?

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 12, 2016

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Xae posted:

Batman, Spiderman and I'm sure many other heroes all started with having a family member killed in a random act of violence.

Is it the specific details of the killing that strikes you as the writers resorting to a hood violence stereotype?

Uh, yes!?

The early part of the issue sets up a fascinating conflict of her parents having to deal with her being a super genius and how to nurture her growth, which is definitely a neat direction. But halfway through they are like welp, time for some hood poo poo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Necroskowitz posted:

I keep seeing this comic making the rounds around the internet. While this is explicitly focused on Islamophobic bigotry it seems like it could be applied to anti-black harassment.

This just seems like a variation of the old "Just ignore the bullies and they'll go away" advice certain parents give their kids in school that never works. It seems like it'd be really jarring for someone being harassed to suddenly get engaged by a random lady asking about the weather. Has anyone who has been in a scenario like this found this to be an effective strategy?

This would freak me the gently caress out because how do you know the person asking the questions aren't in on the harassment?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

This would freak me the gently caress out because how do you know the person asking the questions aren't in on the harassment?

White liberals think that we want rescuing and not for them to stand up to their racists relatives and do something about them.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If you are looking for POC making comics, May I suggest C. Spike Trotman over at Iron Circus Comics? Shes mainly the publisher but she has a lot of cool stuff on her site from a lot of different people.

Here is the current Kickstarter she's doing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ironspike/letters-for-lucardo-an-erotic-graphic-novel?ref=profile_created

But yeah, I'm finding I have less and less patience with Superhero stuff from the Big Two.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Speaking of comic books, the new young black woman who is going to be Iron Man's replacement had her first issue come out.

I was excited for this until I got to the middle of the comic and:

Her seemingly middle class family was having a picnic in the park when suddenly a random drive-by comes and kills her step dad and her best friend

Why do white writers think the only two black backgrounds is hood violence or the Huxtables?

Isn't this the origin story for The Punisher Basically half of the main roster for both Marvel and DC? What the gently caress is wrong with having a hero with a happy home life or something? Not only is is racist, it's also just loving lazy.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Brian Michael Bendis wrote this poo poo, and it felt so completely out of left field with the rest of the issue it felt as if it were mandate. "Add some negro tragedy" from somebody up in the office. But Bendis is pretty high up on the food chain, so it could also just be his idea of what a black hero is supposed to be.

IDK if I'm ready to jump to that. Tragedy seems to be a running Marvel theme, and the whole "take family away from you" is a well Marvel loves to dip into.

Uncle Ben being killed by a random mugger.

Iron Man's parents dying in a variety of ways, most recently the Winter Soldier killing them.

Captain America they died from old-timey diseases.

So yeah, gently caress it, parents/family dying seems like a well they use that's reflective of whatever they think they know about from the characters background.

And of course white people all think we're killed by drive-bys.

NVM, it's racist.

Necroskowitz posted:

It's actually a twist of the #YouOkSis hashtag from black Twitter, to deal with male harassment of women in public spaces.

Look it up.

Fluffdaddy posted:

White liberals think that we want rescuing and not for them to stand up to their racists relatives and do something about them.

That too. They can stand up to anyone except for those closest to them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
In the Miles Morales Spider-Man they had an issue where an Internet blogger talks about how cool it is that the new Spider-Man is a person of color and Miles retorts that his skin color shouldn't matter. It sort of got sorted out when Luke Cage dropped by and was like "Hey, being Spider-Man and being black is a big deal."

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

In the Miles Morales Spider-Man they had an issue where an Internet blogger talks about how cool it is that the new Spider-Man is a person of color and Miles retorts that his skin color shouldn't matter. It sort of got sorted out when Luke Cage dropped by and was like "Hey, being Spider-Man and being black is a big deal."

Yeah, that was a great issue.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else watching Designated Survivor?

I just started and they pretty much jumped into race issues from episode 2 and did not stray or try to play down the reaction of white America at all.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Which is also Bendis, so I could be overreacting but man the whole drive by scene is absolutely out of nowhere and silly as gently caress.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Which is also Bendis, so I could be overreacting but man the whole drive by scene is absolutely out of nowhere and silly as gently caress.

They might be doing that to turn her into the same type of personality of Tony Starks.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Since we're on comics, everyone in this thread should check out Bitch Planet. Its heavily influenced by 70's exploitation films, and It's set in a dystopian future where everything is run by the patriarchy, and women who aren't obedient little housewives or who dare to speak their minds get branded as non-compliant and sent to a prison planet where they are routinely humiliated and shamed. But the thing is, it's not really just about feminism, it's about the difficulty in living in a society that demands everyone conform to a certain set of standards and anyone who does not conform is quickly singled out and othered/punished (including some parts where WoC are pushed to make their hair more 'white' or told they need to lose weight so they can fit in). Also, the series by default makes EVERY character a PoC by default except for when the plot specifically requires a given character to be white (usually the evil white men running the govt), so by default it has very good, strong representation, and all the protagonist characters are sympathetic and easy to empathize with. Also the artist on it, Valentine DeLandro is a very handsome black man (the wife was swooning over him when we went to a recent con and got her copies signed by him and the writer), for those complaining about the dearth of black artists in comics.

In non-picture books, I can also recommend the Poseidon's Wake series by Alastair Reynolds. It's a sci fi trilogy set over the next couple hundred years, and every volume revolves around successive generations of the prestigious Akinya family, in a future where the matriarch of the family, Eunice Akinya has helped make Africa the largest spacefaring power in the solar system. Each book has generally two main protagnists, both African and part of the Akinya family, usually one female and one male, with the first book starting out mostly focusing on Geoffrey Akinya, who is primarily an elephant researcher who gets tangled up in family secrets. The last book ends with Mposi Akinya and his niece Goma Akinya and her wife Ru traveling to a star system dozens of light years from earth, to deal with the remains of very ancient alien civilizations. It's a good series for anyone looking for optimistic, inclusive science fiction featuring essentially nothing except PoC (those characters who aren't African are almost always Chinese or Indian).

I'm glad the thread is moving in this direction right now, as I feel like I need to discuss at least a few positive things so I don't have a breakdown at work right now.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Magres posted:

Yeah the Democrats ran Hillary because it was her turn, not because she won the popular vote in the primaries by twelve points

Far too many people I know won't shut up about it being because the primary was rigged against him. I've given up on trying to get through such thick-headedness, even at the expense of some of the friendships I still have.

The whole 'It's everyone else's fault but us, the ones that stayed home and sulked' arguments are getting incredibly tiresome already.

negromancer posted:

They might be doing that to turn her into the same type of personality of Tony Starks.

I can't help but feel this is what's going to happen. A literal 'What if Tony Stark was a Black Woman?' But only physically

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 12, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
He lost by like 3 million votes. People are just looking for excuses to double down on economic issues while ignoring other stuff.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Anyone else watching Designated Survivor?

I just started and they pretty much jumped into race issues from episode 2 and did not stray or try to play down the reaction of white America at all.

Really? I watched the pilot and it just felt like a dumbed-down west wing. I never expected them to get into anything substantial. Tell me about it!

Wiggy Marie posted:

Thanks for the responses! It's a good point, one form of racism enables the other.

PS, TB your avatar is adorable.

Isn't he great! I have no idea who bought him for me but I think he might be my best bronto yet. He looks so intrepid.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Really? I watched the pilot and it just felt like a dumbed-down west wing. I never expected them to get into anything substantial. Tell me about it!

It's real as gently caress. I think if they made Keifer Sutherland's character black it would be too on the nose of the constant undermining that he has to deal with. That and basically the governor of Michigan gave carte blanche to round up every Muslim in Dearborn, Michigan, and he had to basically threaten to arrest the governor to get him to release every Muslim after the police beat a Muslim teenager to death.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Lightning Knight posted:

I just wanted to say that whoever gave me that wicked red text before was right and clearly I'm too much of an idiot to be posting more in this thread. I'm sorry for being a confused moron who asks dumb questions. I will lurk more.

If it was the same one as this one, which I'm pretty sure it was, it came from Trumplers not here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Schizotek posted:

If it was the same one as this one, which I'm pretty sure it was, it came from Trumplers not here.

No, no it was not. That one I didn't mind because it was bullshit. This one was about me asking stupid racist questions I should know better about.

Edit: Racist shaming totally works and anybody who says otherwise is lying tho. That avatar certainly shamed the poo poo out of me.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Necroskowitz posted:

negromancer posted:

It's actually a twist of the #YouOkSis hashtag from black Twitter, to deal with male harassment of women in public spaces.

Look it up.

Yeah, this is an old anti-harassment tactic women have tossed around for a long time. I've both done it, and been helped by it before; it can work, but it doesn't always. I think it's good to put out there as an alternative to direct confrontation. Not everyone is comfortable calling someone out to their face, and even if you are, sometimes that is not a safe thing to do.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah it's not a bad tool, it's just that you need more than one tool to fight harassment because people harass for different reasons. Sometimes just being visibly not alone is enough to get the person to stop - I'm sure I'm not the only woman who's faked a cell phone conversation on a walk home when some dude was following me.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

Yeah, this is an old anti-harassment tactic women have tossed around for a long time. I've both done it, and been helped by it before; it can work, but it doesn't always. I think it's good to put out there as an alternative to direct confrontation. Not everyone is comfortable calling someone out to their face, and even if you are, sometimes that is not a safe thing to do.

I've used it as well. I've seen women get harassed and went up to them like they were the younger sisters of "friends" and cut the harassment off at the head. Most of these men are cowards and when they see a man willing to cut in and stare them down breaks their fragile masculinity and they relent. They don't want to go heads up and get embarrassed twice.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

I've used it as well. I've seen women get harassed and went up to them like they were the younger sisters of "friends" and cut the harassment off at the head. Most of these men are cowards and when they see a man willing to cut in and stare them down breaks their fragile masculinity and they relent. They don't want to go heads up and get embarrassed twice.

Ever had it go sour? When I was living as a woman I kind of just coasted on most men being conditioned against beating a woman in public, but now I'm a tiny gay dude and I worry that's not much of a deterrent in the "this woman is my property/in my sphere of protection, so step off" department.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm still holding out hope for snipes coming back for blade.

On this note, why do people keep asking when Marvel is going to release its first movie with a black lead. It's true the MCU didn't exist when Blade was released, but it was the first feature length theatrical release movie base on a Marvel property since Howard the Duck. And unlike the latter it was hugely influential and pretty much defined super-hero films until at least 2008. And even then it's really the MCU films that deviate and everyone else follows the Blade formula.

Blade was one of the most influential films on the past 20 years, but I gets ignored because it's protagonist is obscure, and he's black (but I repeat myself).

Blade saved comic book based movies from certain death after Batman and Robin, and shaped how they would be made up until the present day.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

Ever had it go sour? When I was living as a woman I kind of just coasted on most men being conditioned against beating a woman in public, but now I'm a tiny gay dude and I worry that's not much of a deterrent in the "this woman is my property/in my sphere of protection, so step off" department.

I'm 5'9", 165 lbs. But, as a trained Marine, you learn how to project yourself as a 7 foot tall 300 lbs hulk. Furthermore, working in counterintel doing a lot of embedded stuff, interacting with possible hostile people, you learn to target people's weak points, which they tend to carry on their sleeve. This counts even more so when they speak and through their body language. It's easy to exploit and defuse.

Edmund Lava posted:

On this note, why do people keep asking when Marvel is going to release its first movie with a black lead. It's true the MCU didn't exist when Blade was released, but it was the first feature length theatrical release movie base on a Marvel property since Howard the Duck. And unlike the latter it was hugely influential and pretty much defined super-hero films until at least 2008. And even then it's really the MCU films that deviate and everyone else follows the Blade formula.

Blade was one of the most influential films on the past 20 years, but I gets ignored because it's protagonist is obscure, and he's black (but I repeat myself).

Blade saved comic book based movies from certain death after Batman and Robin, and shaped how they would be made up until the present day.

That and people honestly didn't know back then that Blade was a Marvel property. When they think Marvel properties, they aren't thinking Moon Knight, they are thinking Wolverine.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

negromancer posted:

I'm 5'9", 165 lbs. But, as a trained Marine, you learn how to project yourself as a 7 foot tall 300 lbs hulk. Furthermore, working in counterintel doing a lot of embedded stuff, interacting with possible hostile people, you learn to target people's weak points, which they tend to carry on their sleeve. This counts even more so when they speak and through their body language. It's easy to exploit and defuse.

That and people honestly didn't know back then that Blade was a Marvel property. When they think Marvel properties, they aren't thinking Moon Knight, they are thinking Wolverine.

I think blade barely shows up in the marvel books too so that doesn't help with his recognition. He's done some team up stuff with other supernatural dudes like ghost rider but I think his biggest role recently was a super wierd x men arc where they made jubilee a vampire.

He's always kinda been a backbench character.

Funny enough though in his original appearance in the 70s he was a supporting character they decided to push way to the background because they felt he was too popular and outshining the other wise all white cast of the Dracula hunting series.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

negromancer posted:

I get that, just as I get that people didn't know that Howard the Duck was the first Marvel feature length film. It bothers me that a lot of modern social critics ignore that Blade happened and was successful both commercially and critically. It defined the modern era of comic book films, and since comic book films define the modern blockbusters, it's one of the most influential films of our age.

But the protagonist is black so let's look at the wonderful world of The first X-men film. So brave. So progressive that it featured several white GLBT people and reduced an Oscar winning black woman to a single cringe worthy line.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A lot of those problems tie into the origins of many of those characters, namely young white male wish fulfillment. Certainly doesn't make it any better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a crazy homeless dude keep escalating getting in my face at a bus stop and a nice old lady came over and started talking to me and the crazy guy then wandered off. It certainly works if the person is targeting you because you seem alone. Thank you nice old lady.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

No, no it was not. That one I didn't mind because it was bullshit. This one was about me asking stupid racist questions I should know better about.

Edit: Racist shaming totally works and anybody who says otherwise is lying tho. That avatar certainly shamed the poo poo out of me.

Shaming only works if we have any decency left or are misguided/ignorant, and if you are an unrepentant racist you probably don't have much of either.

Also gently caress the liberals that are trying to blame Clinton for losing. She did almost everything right and still lost. The whole "she has to earn my vote, she's not entitled to it" cry from the embittered bernout and third party voter makes me furious. Who cares that She had progressive politics, she had experience, and she wasn't a racist homophobe! Who cares that people will literally die now that she lost, she wasn't a male geriatric, so I am not voting for her, civil duty be damned. The entitlement here is staggering. Clinton is too loving good for America.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 12, 2016

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
A couple of recent BBC documentaries may be of interest to those asking about minority experiences in the UK

Black and British: A Forgotten History, by David Olusoga has just started. The first episode covers Ancient and Medieval Black British communities, and touches on Georgian stuff, heading into the slave trade next week. It's a very thoughtful and well researched show that aims to de-whitewash British history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b082w9p9/black-and-british-a-forgotten-history-1-first-encounters

Black is the new Black- haven't see this yet but it looks lke a good exploration of the experiences of Black Britons in the post war period.

quote:

The first episode is about arriving and growing up in Britain. A cast of distinguished black Britons including Naomi Campbell, Sir Trevor McDonald, Thandie Newton, Baroness Scotland, musicians Jazzie B of Soul II Soul, Dizzie Rascal, Sir Lenny Henry, writer Gary Younge and many others talk about their parents as pioneers who came to the UK in search of a better life for them and their children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b082m5tp/black-is-the-new-black-episode-1#group=p02q33dg

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

McCloud posted:

Also gently caress the liberals that are trying to blame Clinton for losing. She did almost everything right and still lost. The whole "she has to earn my vote, she's not entitled to it" cry from the embittered bernout and third party voter makes me furious. Who cares that She had progressive politics, she had experience, and she wasn't a racist homophobe! Who cares that people will literally die now that she lost, she wasn't a male geriatric, so I am not voting for her, civil duty be damned. The entitlement here is staggering. Clinton is too loving good for America.

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/796365972961722368

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Edmund Lava posted:

But the protagonist is black so let's look at the wonderful world of The first X-men film. So brave. So progressive that it featured several white GLBT people and reduced an Oscar winning black woman to a single cringe worthy line.

Now now, at least it wasn't Catwoman. If there's ever a movie that truly underutilized her talents, it was that movie. They literally cast her as a sex object and not for any of her acting ability. Big surprise there, valuing a black woman not as a skilled craftsperson, but as an object.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Halle Berry thing is weird as I remember the entire media thing about her wasn't that she was a good actor, but how hot she was. She was literally reduced to a sex object. This isn't entirely surprising, but the blatant way it was done was pretty loving bad.

I remember her career taking off in a big way, even being in a Bond film, all based off how hot she was.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I think blade barely shows up in the marvel books too so that doesn't help with his recognition. He's done some team up stuff with other supernatural dudes like ghost rider but I think his biggest role recently was a super wierd x men arc where they made jubilee a vampire.

He's always kinda been a backbench character.

Funny enough though in his original appearance in the 70s he was a supporting character they decided to push way to the background because they felt he was too popular and outshining the other wise all white cast of the Dracula hunting series.

That makes his Venture Brothers counterpart even funnier to me now: "No, I only hunt Blaculas!"

Also echoing the love for Designated Survivor. Now that they've arrested the Michigan governor, some other governors are now demanding he deport all Syrian refugees and institute an immigration ban or else they will block elections on a new congress

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Necroskowitz posted:

Not even from the perspective of racism/Islamophobia, but I would actually really appreciate it if someone did this for me. Of course it would be jarring for a minute but it's better than sitting there doing nothing. Just being in the presence of another person who is "with me" drastically reduces my chance of public harassment, I've noticed, so suddenly having someone there who is taking a friendly interest might do the same thing. People who harass are generally cowards and it does seem like this would be effective in many cases. If the harasser got physical or followed us it would be time to confront them or call the police, tho.

N/B: I guess who the intervener is does matter a bit, #YouOKSis is specifically for black women helping other black women. Similarly, it would be more jarring if a man came to chat to me while another guy was creeping in the subway than if it was a woman. The image shows a nice white lady doing it in the context of Islamphobia and I don't know how people would feel about that.

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 12, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

visceril posted:

That makes his Venture Brothers counterpart even funnier to me now: "No, I only hunt Blaculas!"

Also echoing the love for Designated Survivor. Now that they've arrested the Michigan governor, some other governors are now demanding he deport all Syrian refugees and institute an immigration ban or else they will block elections on a new congress

I kinda wondered if Jefferson Twilight was a problematic depiction because they basically gave him aquamans scope of powers in the grand scheme of things.

"No Blaculas here, though I wouldn't rule out Caucasian vampires"

He did help Dr. Orpheus in one episode by virtue of being half vampire granted.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Not even from the perspective of racism/Islamophobia, but I would actually really appreciate it if someone did this for me. Of course it would be jarring for a minute but it's better than sitting there doing nothing. Just being in the presence of another person who is "with me" drastically reduces my chance of public harassment, I've noticed, so suddenly having someone there who is taking a friendly interest might do the same thing. People who harass are generally cowards and it does seem like this would be effective in many cases. If the harasser got physical or followed us it would be time to confront them or call the police, tho.

N/B: I guess who the intervener is does matter a bit, #YouOKSis is specifically for black women helping other black women. Similarly, it would be more jarring if a man came to chat to me while another guy was creeping in the subway than if it was a woman. The image shows a nice white lady doing it in the context of Islamphobia and I don't know how people would feel about that.

It's actually less jarring.

I only do it when the woman is like, "visibly" uncomfortable to the point where I take notice and its one of the same approaches used with #YouOkSis

"Hey, you're Jeff's little sister! I haven't seen you in forever! Where you off to? Oh, I'm getting off at the same stop, let's go get some [whatever] right quick then. How's Jeff doing? He good? Did he change his number or something? I haven't seen him since I got back in town."

By that time the guy has usually wondered off somewhere now that the focus is completely off of him.

There was one time where a guy was "insistent", saying "hey, I was talking here", to which I stood up and got about 2 inches from his face and let him know he was done talking now. Locked eyes and 1000 yard stared through his soul. He backed down and went to the other side of the train. The lady actually did happen to get off at my stop and she bought me Starbucks, so it was a decent morning.

I pretty much hate dudes for the most part, so starting my day off with a hardy fight or cup of coffee made no difference to me.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

Judge Megan Shanahan declared a mistrial in the trial of former University of Cincinnati police officer Ray Tensing. Tensing was charged with murder and voluntary manslaughter in connection with the shooting death of motorist Sam DuBose. Tensing shot DuBose during a traffic stop in July 2015. After several days of deliberations, the jury was hung, and so the judge was forced to declare a mistrial early Saturday morning

There was never any doubt that Tensing shot DuBose, so the main question at the trial was whether Tensing had a reasonable belief that DuBose posed a threat to cause him death or great bodily harm. Based on the testimony, that question seemed to hinge on whether jurors believed the defense’s argument that Tensing thought he was being dragged by DuBose’s vehicle at the time he fired the shot.

During closing arguments, prosecutors tried to drive home their theory that DuBose’s vehicle did not move before the fatal shot was fired.

Assistant Hamilton County Prosecutor Mark Piepmeier told jurors, “Mr. Tensing was not dragged” by the DuBose’s vehicle. Piepmeier argued the physical showed Tensing only “ran along the car a short distance, stumbled and fell.” He also reminded jurors that the prosecution’s video expert concluded the vehicle did not move before the shot was fired.

The defense stressed during closing argument that DuBose knew he had a large amount of marijuana and probable drug money in possession and that is why he tried to flee.

Attorney Stew Matthews also said the body camera does not necessarily tell the whole story about what Tensing was feeling at the time he fired the fatal shot. He also asked the jurors to put themselves in Tensing’s shoes when making that decision.

“Ask yourselves, would I have done anything different to protect myself?” Matthews asked jurors.

After approximately 22 hours of deliberations over portions of three days, jurors informed Judge Shanahan on Friday evening that they would need to return on Saturday morning to continue deliberations. They came back Saturday, unable to come up with a verdict.

10 white guys and 2 black guys in the jury magically end up deadlocked hmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

10 white guys and 2 black guys in the jury magically end up deadlocked hmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wouldn't mind if a black version of The Punisher existed.

• Locked thread