Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

The corpse mountain always gets its due.. :getin:

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Tiger Dad and his son gonna find a new level of mishaps to get themselves into :getin:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"Most important, China has a functioning liaison system, staffed by competent government officials who manage climbing teams and their waste."

I was like "yeah this article is reasonable" until I got to competent government officials. Not just regular ones!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

So they'll build stairs all the way to the top, and middle aged women in high heels and miniskirts will try to summit.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will look forward to the many ways they will gently caress up.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Hopefully they'll try, blood for the blood god..

They'll try but it'll fail spectacularly in which droves of people will die because of ignoring safety instructions while climbing the stairs.

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 12, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dicky mouse posted:

Crazy person
LOL. Goondolences on not being able to find a kawaii waifu and instead being stuck with a loonie bin. There are tests, but what you wrote really sounds like she had some mental issues. On top of that, those who have low-to-no self-esteem will usually do their best to control everything as much as possible because they fear that if the other person enjoys themselves in any other way they will see how wonderful life is, or another person is, and run away. It's all selfish, under the guise of "I care about you and want you with me always." It's a game of manipulation. Hopefully you have found better and really learned a lot from that.

----

Here's a gifv of a kid being run over. Nobody dies or anything, the kid walks away. I am not quite sure it's China, but it fits Chinese-style driving. Can anyone confirm or deny if it is from China?

code:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/PuPfJXH.gifv[/url]
------

I have an ethnic-Chinese friend that is fluent in Chinese and goes to China once or twice a year for family. She's not a Chinese citizen, nor are any of her relatives, but can read, write, and speak just as well as any local. She uses Wechat and somehow Mainlanders keep finding her and adding her, so she's taken to screwing with them. She sent me a big chat log screen capture today (with the Chinese translated in Wechat so I could read it) and asked me for help messing with him. It was basically:

(In Chinese)
Her: *Gripes about the government, street making GBS threads, pissing, spitting, lying, pushing and shoving, corruption, the educational system being poo poo, etc.*
Him: "You don't know anything about China, you just believe foreign lies."
Her: "I go to China all the time, I saw this with my own eyes."
Him: "You don't understand China. This is all lies. I lived abroad for many years and it was the same thing there too."
Her: "Where did you live?"
Him: "That's not the point. The point is I know foreigners do the same. You cannot speak about China this way. What about your country!?"
Her: "That kind of stuff doesn't happen here."
Him: "Yes it does!"
Her: "Did you live somewhere abroad where you use English? Do you speak English?"
Him: "I will not tell you that, it is not important to this conversation."
Her: "I speak English. Do you want to talk in English?"
Him: "I don't understand your Chinese. What are you trying to say to me? Where did you learn Chinese?"

From that point she switched to English and he kept replying in Chinese, obviously using the translation feature to understand her. She kept bugging him about where he went abroad and he was losing tons of face not being able to reply. I told her to tell him Taiwan is number one and the true version of China and Chinese culture, and is better in most aspects over Mainland. He asked her if she ever went there, because of course he did and saw no difference over where he lives in China, and Taiwan is part of China and is the same. She kept bugging about where he lived abroad and he kept saying she should accept she doesn't understand these topics and doesn't know anything about China and she's foreign so she shouldn't feel so bad for not knowing about China.

The same arguments from a billion people about a billion people.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
In Chinese education news:

quote:

“The development of schools using international curriculums has gone out of control, and attracted the attention of upper central authorities, [which] calls for countermeasures to carry out changes,” the document states. “The complete importation of international curriculums is forbidden,” it adds.

The draft proposal does not delve into further specifics regarding what types of teaching materials will be affected by the rules, if and when they are implemented.
However, according to financial media outlet Caixin, one likely target (link in Chinese) would be the International Baccalaureate (IB), whose Primary Years Program for students aged three-to-twelve is required for all Chinese students hoping to attend high school in the UK. It is widely used in Shanghai’s private schools.

The draft law adds that elementary and middle schools must rid themselves of any foreign capital investment—a policy floated as early as 2004 (link in Chinese) in a law pertaining to foreign investment. Schools also must not be named after foreigners.

Yup, gotta stamp out any and all independent thought! This sure will work wonders long term!

http://qz.com/821667/a-crackdown-on...source=fb1111_3

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cool. I've been offered a job to be principal of one of those international programs and one of the main reasons I'm not going to do it is I'm pretty sure it'll be illegal in a few years anyway. Looks like I may be right.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fish and chips and dip posted:

Yup, gotta stamp out any and all independent thought! This sure will work wonders long term!

http://qz.com/821667/a-crackdown-on...source=fb1111_3

The next step is gotta be cracking down on people going overseas to study.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

This is why I have trouble talking to people I don't know in China. It is the same conversation over, and over, and over, and over. My first year I didn't get it, second year I liked practicing my Chinese, third year I was looking for girls, fourth year found my wife and kinda stopped. Now it's just the same questions and same responses and same stuff over, and over, and over. I just don't have the energy for it anymore.

Grand Fromage posted:

Cool. I've been offered a job to be principal of one of those international programs and one of the main reasons I'm not going to do it is I'm pretty sure it'll be illegal in a few years anyway. Looks like I may be right.

The principal jobs are fat pay but wayyyyyyyyyy too much work or trouble for the amount of stupidity you'd have to deal with, plus like you said, they will probably go under in less than two years.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://twitter.com/airlivenet/status/797052811842351105/photo/1
Saw this in another thread, thought of you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

The IB has been looking at China for alot of their growth over the past 4-5 years. If they get kicked out there is going to be some very hosed people I met in my Indonesia and Malaysia conferences this year.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

quote:

Schools also must not be named after foreigners.

Name a school after the president of Taiwan, Tsai Ing-wen, and watch their heads explode.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

LOL. Goondolences on not being able to find a kawaii waifu and instead being stuck with a loonie bin. There are tests, but what you wrote really sounds like she had some mental issues. On top of that, those who have low-to-no self-esteem will usually do their best to control everything as much as possible because they fear that if the other person enjoys themselves in any other way they will see how wonderful life is, or another person is, and run away. It's all selfish, under the guise of "I care about you and want you with me always." It's a game of manipulation. Hopefully you have found better and really learned a lot from that.

----

Here's a gifv of a kid being run over. Nobody dies or anything, the kid walks away. I am not quite sure it's China, but it fits Chinese-style driving. Can anyone confirm or deny if it is from China?

code:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/PuPfJXH.gifv[/url]
------

I have an ethnic-Chinese friend that is fluent in Chinese and goes to China once or twice a year for family. She's not a Chinese citizen, nor are any of her relatives, but can read, write, and speak just as well as any local. She uses Wechat and somehow Mainlanders keep finding her and adding her, so she's taken to screwing with them. She sent me a big chat log screen capture today (with the Chinese translated in Wechat so I could read it) and asked me for help messing with him. It was basically:

(In Chinese)
Her: *Gripes about the government, street making GBS threads, pissing, spitting, lying, pushing and shoving, corruption, the educational system being poo poo, etc.*
Him: "You don't know anything about China, you just believe foreign lies."
Her: "I go to China all the time, I saw this with my own eyes."
Him: "You don't understand China. This is all lies. I lived abroad for many years and it was the same thing there too."
Her: "Where did you live?"
Him: "That's not the point. The point is I know foreigners do the same. You cannot speak about China this way. What about your country!?"
Her: "That kind of stuff doesn't happen here."
Him: "Yes it does!"
Her: "Did you live somewhere abroad where you use English? Do you speak English?"
Him: "I will not tell you that, it is not important to this conversation."
Her: "I speak English. Do you want to talk in English?"
Him: "I don't understand your Chinese. What are you trying to say to me? Where did you learn Chinese?"

From that point she switched to English and he kept replying in Chinese, obviously using the translation feature to understand her. She kept bugging him about where he went abroad and he was losing tons of face not being able to reply. I told her to tell him Taiwan is number one and the true version of China and Chinese culture, and is better in most aspects over Mainland. He asked her if she ever went there, because of course he did and saw no difference over where he lives in China, and Taiwan is part of China and is the same. She kept bugging about where he lived abroad and he kept saying she should accept she doesn't understand these topics and doesn't know anything about China and she's foreign so she shouldn't feel so bad for not knowing about China.

What I'm missing is "this doesn't even happen in the Phillipines"

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
lol, this is amazingly petty: can you spot what's wrong on this china unionpay page?

https://i.imgur.com/XkawKIZ.png

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Ayyy, check out this fuckin' meme. Holy poo poo. Ah ah ah.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
My Saturday in China:
Went skateboarding. Sweat a bunch. I saw another skateboarder out of the corner of my eye and figured I would break my avoidance tradition since even my boss made fun of me for it when I told her I avoid Chinese skateboarders. Turns out it was a 22 year old girl and she lives very close to me. We talked and rode for about 30 minutes. She wanted my Wechat and wants to ride on the weekends with me. I have no interest in plunging anyone new, so she'll be a bro to hang with when we have time.

It was 18C/64F last night. Everyone outside was in jackets, scarves, long pants, and walking doing the cold-person-self-hug. I saw someone wearing gloves. loving LMAO. Many of these people are in the prime of their youth and health and they act like giant babies for fear of catching bogus mystery illness because it was less-warm outside.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never stop being amazed that there are places that are connected to the modern world and germ theory has not yet reached.

You know what was famously great in the Middle Ages? Medical care.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I know a few LAX workers, including guys who drive those things. Odds are real good the driver was stoned off his or her gourd.

(Seriously they alway have real fuckin' good weed, and they get it cheap)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

I never stop being amazed that there are places that are connected to the modern world and germ theory has not yet reached.

You know what was famously great in the Middle Ages? Medical care.

Truthfully, it's sad they don't have miasma theory. At least then they'd do something about the air quality.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
my new go to move, which i've used twice in the past hour, is when people try talking to me, i just answer them in chinese and they ask where I'm from, and i tell them i am from Haiti, and they are like "what's that. where is it" and i say "its near central america" and they say "oh" and i say "sorry i dont understand english" and one person just left me alone and stopped shouting at me, and another justed ask me questions in chinese and i just acted like another being in society

it's a safe move because i speak spanish, and i would guess 97% of people walking around this city have no idea what Haiti is or where it is or what they speak or what they look like, so i think i'll keep using it

they also didn't just have an election between two of the worst possible candidates in their country's electoral history, so this also seems like a great way to avoid discussing politics. if they ask me any question about Haiti i can just make up a bunch of poo poo, because if they actually are curious, they probably already know something about Haiti, and if they are just making bullshit conversation, i doubt they will go home and look up "politics in Haiti" on Baidu lol

anyway, that's my weekend story. i'm going out to meet with SA All-Star Chong. we are going to go drink a bunch. china is cool and good.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

they speak french in haiti, buddy

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jeoh posted:

I worked with a few Haitians back in the day. It ain't French. Close enough I could kinda understand them and they could kinda understand me tho.

Haitian Creole really is its own language and deserves to be recognized as such.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

Hatians have their own Creole dialect but I assume he knows that, just that Mainlanders would assume Haitians spoke Spanish if he mentioned central America.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I used to tell koreans that I was from argentina. I few of them would go "MESHI!!" (Messi) but that was the extent of anyone's knowledge.

that's my story, hope you liked it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I usually tell the random Chinese people I'm from Korea or Germany.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Are there any countries that chinese have issues believing exist, besides tibet and taiwan.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Are there any countries that chinese have issues believing exist, besides tibet and taiwan.

Austria, kind of. I have some Austrian friends here and each of them have met at least one person who will be adamant that Austria isn't a place, and it's just a mispronunciation of Australia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It took literal decades for diplomats to convince the Qing that the United States was a country. They could not understand that it was independent from England.

Speaking of there's no term for UK in Chinese or Korean that I'm aware of, it's just called England.

E: Also trying to explain Africa is a continent and not just one country never seems to go anywhere.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It took literal decades for diplomats to convince the Qing that the United States was a country. They could not understand that it was independent from England.

Speaking of there's no term for UK in Chinese or Korean that I'm aware of, it's just called England.

E: Also trying to explain Africa is a continent and not just one country never seems to go anywhere.

英国 Yīngguó is supposed to be UK, but is used interchangeably with England. England is actually 英格兰 Yīnggélán but I haven't heard anyone use it outside of a few formal settings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

英国 Yīngguó is supposed to be UK, but is used interchangeably with England. England is actually 英格兰 Yīnggélán but I haven't heard anyone use it outside of a few formal settings.

Oh, interesting. I have also never heard 英格兰 used but I'll ask my students about it. They always just say Yingguo = England.

Of course as we all know everything outside East Asia is really just the single nation of 外国.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gorilla Salad posted:

Truthfully, it's sad they don't have miasma theory. At least then they'd do something about the air quality.

They did. In Taichung (where I am) during the Japanese colonial times they hired an American to come in and design the city, which is now the central district, to make sure the streets get the maximum amount of sunlight in the most days in order to dry them out, thereby removing standing water, removing bad smells, and miasma would go away.

It pays to tell students to do a history project on the development of their own city :colbert:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty common.

Especially recently with news covering brexit

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But if you are some guy living in interior of bumfuck country then I guess you won't need to or will learn much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Or maybe people living in a former British colony are more aware of the details of the UK.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh, interesting. I have also never heard 英格兰 used but I'll ask my students about it. They always just say Yingguo = England.

Of course as we all know everything outside East Asia is really just the single nation of 外国.

I thought it was called 腐国 these days?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Or maybe people living in a former British colony are more aware of the details of the UK.

You have to view caberhams posts as like a literal 1%er from the best city in Canada

Like by "bumfuck" he means "everyone lower than me". This is a guy who can't stop shitposting about how much he hates Osaka

Cabe I looooove you

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

I usually tell the random Chinese people I'm from Korea or Germany.

How often do you get reactions like people yelling "HEIL XITLER!" at you?

Austria, kind of. I have some Austrian friends here and each of them have met at least one person who will be adamant that Austria isn't a place, and it's just a mispronunciation of Australia.

Once again, Hitler saves the day. You simply tell them that's where he and the rest of the worst nazi criminals are from. Also, Mozart, Haydn, Liszt and Sigmund Freud. Probably followed a swift joke about their mothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the cat that's yowling out in the hallway near Haier's apartment door because my dumbfuck owners moved out and left me here instead of taking me with them. I am indoor apartment cat and I have no idea what I am doing out here, so I just scream all night and yell at anyone that walks by. I am sure my owners are probably looking at the 100+ photos of me on their Wechat albums and remembering I was a good cat.

Poor guy. The girl down the hall feeds him but he's freaked out and has no idea why he's sleeping on a hot water heater instead of in a bed with his humans.

The Great Autismo! posted:

You have to view caberhams posts as like a literal 1%er from the best city in Canada

Like by "bumfuck" he means "everyone lower than me". This is a guy who can't stop shitposting about how much he hates Osaka

Cabe I looooove you
From this thread it seems he's from Canada and then his parents bought him a fancy place in Hong Kong for some reason and now he lives there with some other SA posters? I would like one free grand suite in an HK condo, please. I would turn around and immediately sell it for top dollar to some Mainland scum for a profit.

• Locked thread