Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Transmodiar posted:

I have three or four of these within a walking distance from my house. They're awesome (for a commie fad); one is a built-to-scale TARDIS and another has proof copies from the publisher with weird artwork that doesn't make it to the on-sale version.

I was out on a walking trail in Indiana last week and saw 4 of these little book exchange, it's a pretty cool idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't actually know for sure. I'm not even sure if he was on a cruise or if it was a ferry or what, and I don't really want to take the time to investigate. I'm pretty sure he's local, because I can't see who would send a syndicated advice columnist to Japan to interview nuclear accident survivors, and I vaguely remember him getting the assignment from his editor after he wrote his piece on surviving the ship accident (but that might be my imagination).

But yeah, the point I was making is it's pretty ridiculous to think this would actually happen.
I changed my mind. The story of the ship disaster/Wilbur writing his account of it that led to his survivors story world tour was in August 2012 if anyone wants to check.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 19, 1951)

Nancy (December 3, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (August 2, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (August 31, 1923)

Lil' Abner (April 30, 1937)

Barney Google (September 1, 1922)

Alley Oop (December 1, 1933)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (December 3, 1943)

For once I see a classic Nancy that could have been written by Gilchrist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

For once I see a classic Nancy that could have been written by Gilchrist.

This story arc has been leaning into the "har har har, working women are fat ogres" thing, but this is the first explicit punchline around that fact. Poor showing, Bushmiller.

It's still better than Gilchrist though because even an offensive punchline is still a punchline.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

WickedHate posted:

This story arc has been leaning into the "har har har, working women are fat ogres" thing, but this is the first explicit punchline around that fact. Poor showing, Bushmiller.

It's still better than Gilchrist though because even an offensive punchline is still a punchline.

I know that you are "woke as gently caress" but that isn't what he is saying at all. Not everything has to have some sort of political message attached.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

Picking up with Arlo and Janis:

Tina?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set visits exotic places.

Working Daze is infuriating.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is just trying to get through the day.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

See what I mean about the Travis strip being out of context?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Five (August 8-10, 1955)

Unfortunately, I might not be coming back to Pogo. Everything got too off track for too long. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Savidudeosoo posted:

I bet they shot a fake dog in Radio Patrol.

I mean, he wasn't coming when he was called and they kinda kept his face in shadow too.

:golfclap:

I notice Pat didn't put a fake kid out in the yard, though...

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets Scientifically Implausible Proximity to Lava

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom Meets Kit Mailer*

*FOR THE GHOST WHO USES THE POSTAL SERVICE!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bizarro

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Pickles

Reply All

Ziggy

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

If that's the case, then Sally missed a chance to make a gingerbread Parthenon.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets Scientifically Implausible Proximity to Lava

That's a hell of a Big Gay Logan Mark's doing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How old is Jam Esallen? 65? 70?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 20, 1951)

Nancy (December 4, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (August 3, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (September 1, 1923)

Lil' Abner (May 1, 1937)

Barney Google (September 2, 1922)

Alley Oop (December 2, 1933)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

So loving lazy...

Right, ok, an exercise in futility, but Gilchrist fills me with grr. If Fritzi was 19 in 1922, that means she was 8 in 1903. Oreos were introduced in 1912 (and I'm not even going to get in to the state of advertising at the turn of the century, as I'm actually in the middle of a project on the use of oldies rock music in 21st century television advertising.)

Instead, I'm going to enjoy the Ernie Bushmiller Nancy (and I wish I could find the EB Nancy comix I had as a kid) and also Mr Tweedy, who was one of the first comic strips that 6 year old Boodlets used to puzzle out with my dad (he'd help me read Mr Tweedy, Marmaduke, and old style Heathcliff -- which wasn't anywhere near as nutty as the current flavour.).

I know I've said this before, but even my 87 year old mum hates the current version of Nancy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

How old is Jam Esallen? 65? 70?

Rhymes with Orange

Old reference, Hilary! Surely you mean "with my Samsung S7."

Pros and Cons

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ms Boods posted:

Right, ok, an exercise in futility, but Gilchrist fills me with grr. If Fritzi was 19 in 1922, that means she was 8 in 1903. Oreos were introduced in 1912 (and I'm not even going to get in to the state of advertising at the turn of the century, as I'm actually in the middle of a project on the use of oldies rock music in 21st century television advertising.)

You can't assume that comic characters age in real time. Fritzi is in her late 50s and was "Miss Jr. Three Rocks" in 1978". A quick Google search indicates that that jingle was popular in the '70s. The timing might be off by a few years, depending on when the jingle first appeared, but that could be put down to the inexactness of Fritzi's own memories.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

You can't assume that comic characters age in real time. Fritzi is in her late 50s and was "Miss Jr. Three Rocks" in 1978". A quick Google search indicates that that jingle was popular in the '70s. The timing might be off by a few years, depending on when the jingle first appeared, but that could be put down to the inexactness of Fritzi's own memories.

quote:

She subsequently returned as a main character in 1995 when the strip was taken over by brothers Brad and Guy Gilchrist.

...Makes sense.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I know about comic characters' aging and all that; I'm just being pissy about Gilchrist. And I know the jingle, having been a kid in the '70s myself.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:argh:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Ripley's

Super frog.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, this explains most of it, but not her love of 50s music.

F Minus

What the hell has he been eating?

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Tonight, on COPS: Feelings.

Secret Agent X-9

I like that J Edgar Hoover just decides on his own what happens to the bad guys.

Apartment 3-G

Why is the professor treating Margo like she's Tommie?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What a world it is where the strips I'm most invested in is goddamn Mary Worth, Judge Parker, and Rex Morgan.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Definitely agreed on Judge Parker and Rex Morgan, but I think Mary Worth's art shakeup is doing a lot to massage out the flaws in the writing. Case in point: as has been noted, Iris and Wilbur were dating casually prior to his leaving to cover Japan, and now suddenly this is a heavy breakup? Wilbur's not interested in dating anyone other than Iris? When exactly did this get so serious - off camera? Was there a time skip that wasn't well communicated?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

Definitely agreed on Judge Parker and Rex Morgan, but I think Mary Worth's art shakeup is doing a lot to massage out the flaws in the writing. Case in point: as has been noted, Iris and Wilbur were dating casually prior to his leaving to cover Japan, and now suddenly this is a heavy breakup? Wilbur's not interested in dating anyone other than Iris? When exactly did this get so serious - off camera? Was there a time skip that wasn't well communicated?
Wilbur and Iris were serious pretty much immediately. I don't think there's such a thing as "casual dating" in the Mary Worth Universe. If you are dating, it's with the end goal of getting married, because in the end this is still a comic strip mostly for little old ladies.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Poor Emo has to go to the gym now.

The Amazing Spider-Man

You do have strength, Spidey-Man! You have the strength of a spidey!

Sally Forth

I can't decide if this sounds great or terrible.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Oh. Oh, Eve. Oh, no. Jules, get Chance's gun. It's time to put her down. :smith:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

You do have strength, Spidey-Man! You have the strength of a spidey!

He's asking for mental strength, something we know he could use more of.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Oh. Oh, Eve. Oh, no. Jules, get Chance's gun. It's time to put her down. :smith:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nervy Nat (click for big)

(the rest of the comics I usually post will follow at a later point.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Poor Emo has to go to the gym now.

Doesn't he have to spend weeks making a federal issue out of it first?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Oh god, that was a close one. Status was almost not quo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Emo kid is secretly a cardio monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The best part of Luann is how the girls didn't go "we're not really into rock climbing, maybe we could do something else?" when jock guy invited them, then counter with "WE'RE going bowling. You can come along if you want."

Would it be that hard to just say "nah, rock climbing isn't really our scene; maybe we could do something else?" and go from here? Yes it is, nobody in this comic acts like a human

• Locked thread