Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Ending was bad, even after they "fixed" it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The best part of the ending was how Mac Walters said the galaxy was supposed to be a wasteland post ME3.

What a weird thing to do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Eej posted:

I would go to the doctor to check for a broken fun gland before proceeding

Charge is fine but something about Nova just feels totally unsatisfying, even if it is powerful :shrug:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Well the Mass Effect has already proven it can warp time/space. Lets just go with the anime ending and have all universes occur at once, and now Ryder has to step through all four and experience the different fallouts.

Seriously though, gently caress color endings.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

The best part of the ending was how Mac Walters said the galaxy was supposed to be a wasteland post ME3.

What a weird thing to do.

I can't name one person at Bioware whose response to the audience turning on the ending didn't make the situation worse

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Patrick Weekes... sorta helped with some cathartic venting.

Ciaphas posted:

Charge is fine but something about Nova just feels totally unsatisfying, even if it is powerful :shrug:

Yeah you don't need to worry about Nova you can just stick with using Charge as an invulnerability frame move/shield regen while you shotgun blast the poo poo out of everything.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
But if you don't Nova you aren't hitting the ground with a shockwave like a superhero.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Eej posted:

Patrick Weekes... sorta helped with some cathartic venting.

Yeah you don't need to worry about Nova you can just stick with using Charge as an invulnerability frame move/shield regen while you shotgun blast the poo poo out of everything.

It should target an enemy and punch them with a shockwave radiating out from their body. Now it's even more awesome.

Why punch the ground when you can supercavitate some minion's body?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You just described charge.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Has anyone made a mod that lets us charge the kid in the dream sequences?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeza posted:

the storm over ME3's ending was ridiculous and overblown, and was essentially fine. especially compared to something like say, deus ex: hr. and skyrim is a dull reskin of oblivion full of weird potato face people and horrible gamebryo everything. people who like it a lot have terrible opinions on games, and life.

real adult opinions. :can:

:agreed:

I've no problem with the Synthesis ending. It seemed like the obvious "canon" ending from a narrative point of view.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Moola posted:

what the heck

I avoided spoilers before I started playing but I couldn't help but hear people freaking out about the ending. I definitely expected the ending to coming down to picking a button for the ending scene you wanted, because that's how it works in every videogame which choices. So I figured it was something else wrong, like, you're the reapers the whole time or I don't know, I just figured it must be something truly offensively bad or something. When I got to the end, I was really excited that there wasn't really any choice for my Shephard staying in character, it felt like the logical solution and conclusion to what I'd worked for thus far. I never even save-reloaded to see the other endings, gently caress em, wouldn't make sense or be good anyway. I was genuinely surprised and excited to see that was an option, I hadn't considered it or thought it was on the table, because I was expecting something terrible to match the intensity of the online anger about it.

I guess some people wanted more in-depth conclusion to every character or something but I felt like I got a ton of great closure throughout the rest of the game. After I bless the galaxy with a new level of existence, I don't think any of the horrible and mortal problems of the old galaxy matter anymore. It's all bullshit from a lovely time we can all move on from together in peace.

The other options seemed like they were for rear end in a top hat Shepards or for selfish ones. I've since read what the amended endings were, and I think that it's cool they added another option to shoot the hologram. I don't know what people expected or wanted to this day and I kind of have to think people just got whipped up and it became just a fair target for people to rage on without any resistance.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 12, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Khanstant posted:

I avoided spoilers before I started playing but I couldn't help but hear people freaking out about the ending. I definitely expected the ending to coming down to picking a button for the ending scene you wanted, because that's how it works in every videogame which choices. So I figured it was something else wrong, like, you're the reapers the whole time or I don't know, I just figured it must be something truly offensively bad or something. When I got to the end, I was really excited that there wasn't really any choice for my Shephard staying in character, it felt like the logical solution and conclusion to what I'd worked for thus far. I never even save-reloaded to see the other endings, gently caress em, wouldn't make sense or be good anyway. I was genuinely surprised and excited to see that was an option, I hadn't considered it or thought it was on the table, because I was expecting something terrible to match the intensity of the online anger about it.

I guess some people wanted more in-depth conclusion to every character or something but I felt like I got a ton of great closure throughout the rest of the game. After I bless the galaxy with a new level of existence-

A new level of existence: putting green circuitry overlay over people.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Can i still charge into peoples faces in Andromeda? This is important!!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

A new level of existence: putting green circuitry overlay over people.

Look if we're going to pick apart dumb looking poo poo in Mass Effect we don't have to start at the end.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

moist turtleneck posted:

Ending was bad, even after they "fixed" it

There really was no way to "fix" something as pretentious as that ending. If the story had a strong foundation, maybe, but it was shoddy from the offset since they just weren't prepared to end the series at the time thanks to poor planning.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Actually, it turns out Mass Effect 3 was just fine.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I still prefer the ending the original writer was going for: The reapers are the good guys, you're the bad guys, organised organic civilisations utilising mass effect fields are hastening the entropic death of the universe by an appreciable amount (by machine standards). This is why the Reapers rebelled against their space-cuttlefish overlords and systematically cull the galaxy every now and then, as they respect a species right to have it's time in the sun and also be indexed, but also don't want their unlimited lifetimes cut down anymore than they have to be. Which is why they make new reapers out of the species they destroy, so the species they exterminate can continue to live on forever in some form, and not be forgotten.

TLDR; you a bad dude, space robots good, no two ways about it. Get over it nerds.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I didn't hate the ending at first, then I reloaded to check out the other options.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

monster on a stick posted:

Has anyone made a mod that lets us charge the kid in the dream sequences?

I make a point of running away from him in the dream sequences. Eventually the game gives up and advances the cutscene.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

thank you for clearing this up noted bad opinion haver Lt.Danger

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Lt. Danger posted:

This is only true for the multiplayer, which was :sicknasty:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

9-Volt Assault posted:

Yes. Maybe it will also be possible to go invisible, pop a tech shield, and then charge into someone too!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

McGiggins posted:

I still prefer the ending the original writer was going for: The reapers are the good guys, you're the bad guys, organised organic civilisations utilising mass effect fields are hastening the entropic death of the universe by an appreciable amount (by machine standards). This is why the Reapers rebelled against their space-cuttlefish overlords and systematically cull the galaxy every now and then, as they respect a species right to have it's time in the sun and also be indexed, but also don't want their unlimited lifetimes cut down anymore than they have to be. Which is why they make new reapers out of the species they destroy, so the species they exterminate can continue to live on forever in some form, and not be forgotten.

TLDR; you a bad dude, space robots good, no two ways about it. Get over it nerds.

That wasn't great, but at least it was foreshadowed and made use of the setting's elements. Unlike the gibberish and magic we got. Anyway, let's get off the whole THE ENDS ARE BAD argument and get back to wildly speculating about this game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

9-Volt Assault posted:

I hope they buff Tech Shield back to ME2 power levels. You were straight up goddamn invulnerable with max level Tech Shield in that, I was so sad they nerfed it into 'only mostly invulnerable' in ME3.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

McGiggins posted:

Also would explain why the series was called "Mass Effect" in the first place. This great phenomenon responsible for almost all space-faring progress is also destroying it. Reaper intentions more justified. Hammy, sure, but I like it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

McGiggins posted:

That ending in no way says the Reapers are good guys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Steve2911 posted:

Perhaps not, they still turn people into techno zombies, but they have rationalized it as the best course of action using robot logic. They think they are the good guys, but mass genocide is never justifiable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps not, they still turn people into techno zombies, but they have rationalized it as the best course of action using robot logic. They think they are the good guys, but mass genocide is never justifiable.

I'd say the mark of any good villain is that they have motivations that they feel justify their actions. I think the Reapers as they exist have this too though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Steve2911 posted:

I'd say the mark of any good villain is that they have motivations that they feel justify their actions. I think the Reapers as they exist have this too though.

Not really because their entire ideology is thwarted by the existence of a man with robot parts, which is completely outside of their expectations.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 12, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Steve2911 posted:

To salmonella we're unfathomable monsters responsible for genocides the likes of which we can hardly imagine.

For us, we're just trying not to get the runs.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

What they have now is the flawed logic of a defective computer program that has them ordered to "preserve life" in the most needlessly sadistic and destructive manner possible. It also has their supposed monuments to said species in forms that encourage their enemies to destroy as many as possible for numerous reasons, meaning millions of years worth of harvests are undone in one large battle.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
can we talk about Andromeda instead? :(

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Moola posted:

can we talk about Andromeda instead? :(

Sure. I really enjoyed that briefing trailer and am really keen on the series having a chance to start from scratch. A lot of what made ME1 so good was the sense of getting to know the world and the space around you, and if Andromeda can bring that feeling back with mechanics and aesthetics that aren't bland, then :neckbeard:

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not a whole lot to talk about until we get some deets on that beta

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think the asses shown in the trailers have been really top notch. Bioware is definitely stepping up it's butt game. Any word on if the engine supports jiggle physics?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Hank Morgan posted:

I make a point of running away from him in the dream sequences. Eventually the game gives up and advances the cutscene.
Well I know what I'm doing my next playthrough!

Tirranek posted:

Sure. I really enjoyed that briefing trailer and am really keen on the series having a chance to start from scratch. A lot of what made ME1 so good was the sense of getting to know the world and the space around you, and if Andromeda can bring that feeling back with mechanics and aesthetics that aren't bland, then :neckbeard:
I'm excited to drive the new, more mobile Mako up some cliffs. I hope you can still run enemies over with it, that was the best in ME1. Ramming geth armatures into the lava never got old.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well I know what I'm doing my next playthrough!

I'm excited to drive the new, more mobile Mako up some cliffs. I hope you can still run enemies over with it, that was the best in ME1. Ramming geth armatures into the lava never got old.

You could just run over them? :suicide:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm playing Inquisition for the first time, it's ok I guess

if Andromeda is basically this but with mass effect stuff then I think it will be pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Moola posted:

I'm playing Inquisition for the first time, it's ok I guess

if Andromeda is basically this but with mass effect stuff then I think it will be pretty cool

Oh God please no. Inquisition is fine if you completely ignore everything except the main quests. Otherwise it's a single player MMO with a whole bunch of stupid filler thrown in.