Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Chances Milo gets a job in the white house are too drat high.

Like Pence would ever allow a gay anywhere near him let alone working with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

weirdly we were also at war with Germany and my German-speaking Pennsylvanian great-grandparents were not rounded up into camps

by WW2 German people were pretty much assimilated, but they had a hard time of it during WW1. they did get arrested and imprisoned, not on the level of the Japanese, but it did happen.

liberty cabbage, the precursor to freedom fries.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like Pence would ever allow a gay anywhere near him let alone working with him

Pence will be working in the Johnson building across the street from the white house.

But it would do my heart good to see the neo fascists turn on each other immediately like that.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

uber_stoat posted:

by WW2 German people were pretty much assimilated, but they had a hard time of it during WW1. they did get arrested and imprisoned, not on the level of the Japanese, but it did happen.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

looking forward to their dismay and disappointment when Trump ends up governing like your bog-standard lovely right wing republican, just more vocally racist.

Right. With like... a physical monument to his failure in the form of a sad, droopy "wall" that spans about 2 miles in the middle of nowhere.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Wonder what the odds are for Milo becoming press secretary. Could you imagine? :smithicide:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Remember when St_Rev said Trump was better on gay rights than Clinton

That was pretty funny, huh

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

uber_stoat posted:

Yeah, the family lore documents this. Of course, "assimilated" is of questionable application for a German-speaking enclave that had continued to speak German for generations after landing in the US (my family aren't Amish but were in a Pennsylvania Dutch enclave where the main home language was German until my dad's mom married an "Englishman" ...born and raised in the next town over, but not German-speaking). Still got treated better, in both wars, than Japanese-descended people were in the second; still a counterpoint to arguments that "Japanese internment was justified because when you're at war with a nation you're at war with a nationality"

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Nov 10, 2016

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

Yeah, the family lore documents this. Of course, "assimilated" is of questionable application for a German-speaking enclave that had continued to speak German for generations after landing in the US (my family aren't Amish but were in a Pennsylvania Dutch enclave where the main home language was German until my dad's mom married an "Englishman" ...born and raised in the next town over, but not German-speaking). Still got treated better, in both wars, than Japanese-descended people were in the second; still a counterpoint to arguments that "Japanese internment was justified because when you're at war with a nation you're at war with a nationality"

ah, well, Pennsylvania Dutch would be a special case thing. I guess an insular group like that might be shielded from some of the nastiness that a german immigrant in a big city would be subjected to.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
listen I'm not trying to discount the personal experiences of racism suffered by German immigrants during World War One but I don't see what their experiences can add to the topic of whether Japanese internment was justified because governmental internment of an entire nationality is a right and natural response to being at war with a country

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean my actual counter to that stupid Japanese internment camp thing was "if that were true we would have just gone on to completely exterminate them" and then talked about how actually my grandpa and much of my family on my mom's side was part of the pacific campaign and while they certainly were a bunch of old man racists none of them wanted to exterminate the entire Japanese race and they didn't hold random civilians accountable for the actions of the military like he seems to think everyone in the US did at the time. At about this point he waffled a bit, having never really thought this far into the topic I guess, and changed the subject

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/11/liberal-tears-are-sweet.html?m=1MMS still very confused as to whether he is a moralistic paleocon or a edgelordy e-Vile deathlord

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

InediblePenguin posted:

listen I'm not trying to discount the personal experiences of racism suffered by German immigrants during World War One but I don't see what their experiences can add to the topic of whether Japanese internment was justified because governmental internment of an entire nationality is a right and natural response to being at war with a country

uber_stoat is, you may have noticed, extremely thick.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ikanreed posted:

I would thoroughly enjoy the implosion that would result from putting Milo in the vicinity of the religious right, but no, not likely.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

He'll become Pence's vocal and willing proof that you can pray the gay away, an icon for the ages.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm waiting for the Peter Theil/Mike Pence sex tape to leak.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
As it turns out, Big Yud finally admitted Thiel is a Trump supporter

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hell, he even correctly surmised the dangers of a double juggalo presidency

MrRoivas
Sep 29, 2014
Hey, I know the main theme of this thread is to point and laugh, but I feel the need to say this:

I really can't point and laugh anymore. These people are awful shitheads, and they won. They won this Tuesday.

And some of these shitheads are antisemitic. I'm Jewish, and I'm facing the fact that a contingent of people who don't wish for me to exist have been affirmed and empowered. I wear a Star of David necklace, and now I am forced to wonder if somewhere in the next four years that's going to get me hurt.

Paranoid fantasy? Four years ago, would any of you believed that a man like Donald Trump could become president on the backs of people mocked in this thread? That said man has antisemites on his payroll and had speeches filled with ideas lifted straight from antisemitic tracts? I am so loving scared right now. Because when this kind of poo poo happens, when angry right wingers gain power, Jews are always one of their first targets in Western countries. Always.

So I'm begging you all, please don't just point and laugh in this thread. Speak out against this stuff in real life. Because there aren't enough Jews to protect ourselves. If a large contingent of this country turns on us, we are dead. Perhaps literally. So we need non-Jewish people to help out.

Please don't let these people get even more powerful.

Please.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MrRoivas posted:

Hey, I know the main theme of this thread is to point and laugh, but I feel the need to say this:

I really can't point and laugh anymore. These people are awful shitheads, and they won. They won this Tuesday.

And some of these shitheads are antisemitic. I'm Jewish, and I'm facing the fact that a contingent of people who don't wish for me to exist have been affirmed and empowered. I wear a Star of David necklace, and now I am forced to wonder if somewhere in the next four years that's going to get me hurt.

Paranoid fantasy? Four years ago, would any of you believed that a man like Donald Trump could become president on the backs of people mocked in this thread? That said man has antisemites on his payroll and had speeches filled with ideas lifted straight from antisemitic tracts? I am so loving scared right now. Because when this kind of poo poo happens, when angry right wingers gain power, Jews are always one of their first targets in Western countries. Always.

So I'm begging you all, please don't just point and laugh in this thread. Speak out against this stuff in real life. Because there aren't enough Jews to protect ourselves. If a large contingent of this country turns on us, we are dead. Perhaps literally. So we need non-Jewish people to help out.

Please don't let these people get even more powerful.

Please.

I know. I'll try to speak out against this publicly. I'll contact my representatives and ask if they could do something to prevent or at least mitigate the amount of hate crimes that are sure to follow. I'm sorry that it sounds so weak and hollow, I really don't know what else to do.

Annointed has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Nov 11, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... Yyyeah, this is starting to feel like we've been running a mock thread on ISIS recruitment forums for the past two years. :stonk:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My alt-right friend listens to the Right Stuff podcast. The name of this podcast is "The Daily Shoah." He doesn't get why I find this terrifying. His attitude seems to be "well, sure, they're crazy when it comes to Jews, but some of their other points are interesting, so what's the problem? It's not like *I* hate Jews."

If I didn't make this clear, I'm (ethnically) Jewish and most of my grandpa's family died in the actual Shoah.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

pookel posted:

My alt-right friend listens to the Right Stuff podcast. The name of this podcast is "The Daily Shoah." He doesn't get why I find this terrifying. His attitude seems to be "well, sure, they're crazy when it comes to Jews, but some of their other points are interesting, so what's the problem? It's not like *I* hate Jews."

If I didn't make this clear, I'm (ethnically) Jewish and most of my grandpa's family died in the actual Shoah.

:sever:

I'm all for trying to reach out to some of the people who voted for Trump, but people like that can gently caress off.

Blizz Pizz Love Us
Aug 18, 2015

by exmarx

pookel posted:

A friend who lacks the bare minimum empathy to appreciate why you find that horrifying is not your friend. With everything else going on right now, you don't need that poo poo in your life.

For what little comfort it is, know that there are plenty of people out there who won't abandon you. A majority of the electorate looked at what Trump represents and told him to get hosed. That majority may not have lived in the right magic states to make a difference, but we're not going away, and we're not going to let the nazi fucks win. This last week has awoken me to some very sad realities about our country, but I still want to believe we're more Denmark than Romania.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Silver2195 posted:

I'm all for trying to reach out to some of the people who voted for Trump, but people like that can gently caress off.

They're the same loving people. Let's be honest.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

His attitude seems to be "well, sure, they're crazy when it comes to Jews, but some of their other points are interesting, so what's the problem? It's not like *I* hate Jews."

Did you know that Hitler had some good ideas too?? Really makes u think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ikanreed posted:

They're the same loving people. Let's be honest.

Nah, a bunch of Trump voters' racism stems from being angry, poor, uneducated, and isolated enough that they latch on to the first explanation for their pain that's offered to them (which just so happens to be insane racism). We're looking at the savvier, more educated breed of Trumpist here - which I recognise is damning with fault praise.

They really are the white-supremacist equivalent of suburban suicide bombers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A lot of Trump supporters are evangelicals who voted for him for the usual evangelical reasons too

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Did you know that Hitler had some good ideas too?? Really makes u think.

Say what you like about the Fuhrer but he did kill Hitler, which is probably the main thing he got right.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Silver2195 posted:

If I cut ties with everyone like that, I'd have to stop speaking to my dad, too. And yes, that's the Jewish side of the family, and no, he doesn't take any of Trump's anti-Semitic fanbase seriously.

I grew up with that way of thinking, so I get it. It's wrong, but I remember what it was like to believe some of the same sorts of things. So I don't cut people off. I just keep arguing with them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

pookel posted:

If I cut ties with everyone like that, I'd have to stop speaking to my dad, too. And yes, that's the Jewish side of the family, and no, he doesn't take any of Trump's anti-Semitic fanbase seriously.

I grew up with that way of thinking, so I get it. It's wrong, but I remember what it was like to believe some of the same sorts of things. So I don't cut people off. I just keep arguing with them.

To a point, sure (I disagree with a fair amount of my mother's political views, for example), but you have to draw the line somewhere.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, a bunch of Trump voters' racism stems from being angry, poor, uneducated, and isolated enough that they latch on to the first explanation for their pain that's offered to them (which just so happens to be insane racism).

Nah, gently caress that for an excuse. I made the mistake of looking at Facebook and seeing this particular excuse for out-and-out-racism trotted out again: so again, speaking as someone white from a working class background, gently caress that. Just as Brexit racists aren't some sort of authentic werkin class expression, they're racist fuckheads, Trump voters aren't some sort of authentic werkin class expression, they're racist fuckheads. Perhaps you could look into their souls with a soul spectrometer and say "in their heart of hearts they are not racist per this convenient definition that makes my claim correct", but they knowingly chose Trump and everything that Trump is, and that's certainly enough to label them as functionally racist for literally any practical purpose, predict functionally racist behaviour from them in the future and, dare I say it, condemn them as racists. So I am strongly disinclined to put up with this particular line of bullshit excuse for a microsecond. They're loving racist shitheads. Class is not actually an excuse.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah looking at the post election numbers the Republicans didn't actually experience a very big jump in voters. The issue was that liberals by and large did not vote this election. All of the flipped states had massive drop off of Democrat voters. Some of them are likely the result of voter ID laws, but just as many in places without new voter ID laws just appear to be a case of Hillary being that unlikeable to most Democrats.

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Nov 12, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

divabot posted:

Nah, gently caress that for an excuse. I made the mistake of looking at Facebook and seeing this particular excuse for out-and-out-racism trotted out again: so again, speaking as someone white from a working class background, gently caress that. Just as Brexit racists aren't some sort of authentic werkin class expression, they're racist fuckheads, Trump voters aren't some sort of authentic werkin class expression, they're racist fuckheads. Perhaps you could look into their souls with a soul spectrometer and say "in their heart of hearts they are not racist per this convenient definition that makes my claim correct", but they knowingly chose Trump and everything that Trump is, and that's certainly enough to label them as functionally racist for literally any practical purpose, predict functionally racist behaviour from them in the future and, dare I say it, condemn them as racists. So I am strongly disinclined to put up with this particular line of bullshit excuse for a microsecond. They're loving racist shitheads. Class is not actually an excuse.

It's not about excuses. It's about understanding what makes people vulnerable to going Nazi, the particular frustrations that were tapped into to make them go 'actually, black people are to blame'. That can very much very according to your place in society. Peter Thiel, for instance, probably isn't angry at Muslim immigrants because he's been told he's unemployed because they took his job.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah looking at the post election numbers the Republicans didn't actually experience a very big jump in voters, 5% at the very most. The issue was that liberals by and large did not vote this election. All of the flipped states had massive drop off of Democrat voters. Some of them are likely the result of voter ID laws, but just as many in places without new voter ID laws just appear to be a case of Hillary being that unlikeable to most Democrats.

There was also a shift within the electorate that can't be entirely explained away by falling numbers, though. Trump netted a higher percentage of poor voters and a lower percentage of rich voters. Losing rich voters by a considerable percentage does imply that he had to have a small uptick in poor voters to stay at the same numbers (there's more poor voters, but the upper income brackets aren't small in numbers enough that any shift in their voting preferences would be invisible), and even if the shift in low-income votes was simply a result of voter apathy, that still means that a large amount of poor voters were chill enough about open white supremacy to peace out and not vote either way.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Except we can explain it via voter apathy. Millions fewer people voted in this election, most of them of the poorest income brackets and almost all of those democrat. So of course Trump is going to get a higher percentage of the poor vote if his opposition's poor supporters aren't voting. That's how percentages work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Except we can explain it via voter apathy. Millions fewer people voted in this election, most of them of the poorest income brackets and almost all of those democrat. So of course Trump is going to get a higher percentage of the poor vote if his opposition's poor supporters aren't voting. That's how percentages work.

It wasn't just voter apathy, it was voter suppression in some states.

E: As for Evangelicals

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Nov 12, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

A lot of Trump supporters are evangelicals who voted for him for the usual evangelical reasons too

They will vote anyone with an (R) next to their name and call anyone with a (D) the antichrist. They have literally incorporated the presidential elections in their religion. I wouldn't call them hopeless, because people lose their religion all the time, but if Prester Jane was right, the problem is that Evangelicals, through ACE and other forms of institutionalized child abuse, have turned their community into an assembly line of Evangelical crazies. Again, not hopeless, because people do escape abuse, but as long as the fresh meat outnumbers the defectors, they'll keep being a compact red block of lunacy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Read the last section of my post again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Don't forget that this was the first election without the voter rights act and there was some extreme voter suppression going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Don't forget that this was the first election without the voter rights act and there was some extreme voter suppression going on

Very true, though that doesn't, to the best of my recollection, include the rust belt states that Trump flipped. Could be wrong about that, but it's those, rather than states like North Carolina, that were at the core of the 'it's about economics' argument.