Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, your point stands -- fewer people voted for Trump than for Romney or McCain, and Democratic turnout was super-low comparatively, but holy non-zeroed y-axis Batman!

E: Also how many of those missing votes are accounted for by Johnson? Hmmm? If that chart was zeroed and showed the other candidates, we'd know.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Guavanaut posted:

Sure, RC opioids are dumb, and things like carfentanil are terrifying in concept even at known dosages and have started working their way into the street drug supply in places, but I'm fairly sure that open access to academic knowledge isn't the root cause of that like the :supaburn: clickbait headline wants to imply, and more open access to academic knowledge is an important thing to push for in and of itself.

It seems like the very reason that they've come a part of the street drug network rather than something that only zoo veterinarians knew about and handled with trepidation is precisely due to the DEA cracking down on everything else as hard as possible, rather than considering other tactics like OTC naloxone, heroin maintenance clinics, clean rooms, lighter restrictions on the safer opiates, or tackling the social alienation that leads to addiction in the first place. It's certainly not the fault of chemistry papers that have been around since the 70s.

I notice in Canada at least they're back to blaming China again this time around.

Fentanyl is loving terrifying stuff. I was talking to a recovering addict a few days ago, and she was saying she'd lost over a dozen friends to it since the start of the year.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You call trump a fascist but you want to overturn a democratic election? Do you not see the irony at all?

And those protesters if they were smart would be protesting the DNC for basically pushing the worst candidate possible with a lovely centrist platform because it was 'her turn' not the loving election. Protesting trumps victory is going to win you 0 sympathy from anyone who isn't already in your little circle.

And I can't organize poo poo cause I'm 900km from home in the middle of no where, not American, and I literally work in natural gas pipeline with a ~*unionized*~ job so maybe I know a little bit about left wing labour and supporting hillary was not a good choice. But no, keep protesting trump, instead of maybe the electoral college or maybe the primary process that hosed over Bernie, or how the media was in the bag for Clinton and how that backfired. Don't take a good hard look at the democratic party and just keep on doubling down on the nonesense that got you guys in the position in the first place. I'm just gonna eat a probie cause I don't have time to post a picture as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Imagine that, a guy working for fossil fuels wants the left to stop organizing.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, your point stands -- fewer people voted for Trump than for Romney or McCain, and Democratic turnout was super-low comparatively, but holy non-zeroed y-axis Batman!

E: Also how many of those missing votes are accounted for by Johnson? Hmmm? If that chart was zeroed and showed the other candidates, we'd know.

Hope to see this again after all votes are tallied

Fansy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 11, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Fansy posted:

Imagine that, a guy working for fossil fuels wants the left to stop organizing.

Maybe learn what unions are and how they work before putting words in my mouth because I disagree with you. I work out of a hall and was asked to work for a company contracted by union gas. I say no I don't work.

Also if natural gas is so bad, how do you heat homes where it gets Really Cold? Burn wood? Electrical? Electrical heating is inefficient and expensive.

Maybe try and talk to me like a fellow person instead of some boogeyman in your head.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Those forgotten Americans. Hateful white people. Won't anyone show them a little compassion and stop unfriending them on facebook because they do innocent things like working against the interests of minorities and women and throw minor :qq: tantrums :qq: on the internet?

Thank god we have a president-elect who speaks for the truly persecuted of this country.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Maybe try and talk to me like a fellow person instead of some boogeyman in your head.

You're defending Trump's election as democratic, then you critique the protesters for not criticizing the electoral college (which they are, loudly), then you critique the protesters for not criticizing democrats (pretty sure the antifa kids aren't big fans of the DNC), then you're angry that protesters are criticizing Trump's racism.

January 20th, 2017

See you in the streets.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 11, 2016

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Fansy posted:

You're defending Trump's election as democratic.

Bush vs Gore. You have no ground to stand on. You and your 'side' lost the election cause you couldn't appeal to enough people. You're just going to alienate the very people whose support you need. The only people who are going to see these 'protests' as a good thing are people already on your side. The same people who just lost the election. If you want to move forward maybe try and get people who don't agree with you to understand what you and your party are trying to do instead of just calling them bad and evil. That's why the USA is so polarize cause everyone hates each others side.

And you also ignored the other points I made.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

, but holy non-zeroed y-axis Batman!

It's the default axis scaling in MS Excel:

Probably made by somebody on a deadline.

e: holy page refresh Batman!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/797136803455242240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/796919198920409088

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/797088555185143808

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Secretary Kerry looks for consolation gifts in Christchurch, New Zealand by U.S. Department of State, on Flickr

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/brettlogiurato/status/797202627419394048

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Bush vs Gore. You have no ground to stand on. You and your 'side' lost the election cause you couldn't appeal to enough people. You're just going to alienate the very people whose support you need. The only people who are going to see these 'protests' as a good thing are people already on your side. The same people who just lost the election. If you want to move forward maybe try and get people who don't agree with you to understand what you and your party are trying to do instead of just calling them bad and evil. That's why the USA is so polarize cause everyone hates each others side.

And you also ignored the other points I made.

The President of the United States is not and never has been elected democratically. Most times, the results of the election mirror what would have happened in a democratic election but that does not mean it is democratic.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ciccmaher/status/797232142220673025

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

That's a pretty pathetic complaint. I've never heard anyone try to delegitimize a graph for not starting at zero; my understanding was that it's better not to do it when you want to show differences between data.

Also, you can complain about Johnson all you want, it won't retroactively make Clinton a more appealing candidate. Though it's hilarious that you think people who voted for Johnson would all flock to Clinton if he didn't run.

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/797238777567727618?s=09

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MizPiz posted:

I've never heard anyone try to delegitimize a graph for not starting at zero; my understanding was that it's better not to do it when you want to show differences between data.

Non-zeroed graphs also a common tool used to mislead. Fox News loves non-zero graphs (or graphs that are just plain wrong) to make something look doom and gloom (e.g. that graph is explicitly designed to give the impression that welfare queens more than quadrupled in 2 years).

For the opposite (a graph zeroed to mislead)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Met posted:

Those forgotten Americans. Hateful white people. Won't anyone show them a little compassion and stop unfriending them on facebook because they do innocent things like working against the interests of minorities and women and throw minor :qq: tantrums :qq: on the internet?

Thank god we have a president-elect who speaks for the truly persecuted of this country.

Strong as Kansas
Jun 22, 2005
When snowmen attack!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I wanna sign that petition

Actual tweet, hoping for the link:
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/797088965853671424

I know it's a joke but can we make it real? The power of America :negative:

Some of the replies are fun at least

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Four years later, the hours of most minimum-wage workers are capped at 29. That’s the threshold after which most companies with 50 or more employees are required to pay into the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) fund on behalf of their workers. Of course, some minimum wage workers get fewer than 29 hours for reasons specific to the businesses they work for.
It’s Math Time

While a lot of numbers follow, remember that they all add up to a picture of how people around us are living every day.

In New York, under the old minimum wage system, $8.75 multiplied by 39 hours equaled $341.25 a week before taxes. Under the new minimum wage, $9.00 times 29 hours equals $261 a week. At a cap of 29 hours, the minimum wage would have to be raised to $11.77 just to get many workers back to the same level of take-home pay that I got in 2012, given the drop in hours due to the Affordable Care Act. Health insurance is important, but so is food.

In other words, a rise in the minimum wage is only half the battle; employees need enough hours of work to make a living.

https://www.thenation.com/article/walmart-wages-are-the-main-reason-people-depend-on-food-stamps/

Also, the largest employer in america, the us government, pays its workers an average of $58,726 a year after taxes.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Lime Tonics posted:

Also, the largest employer in america, the us government, pays its workers an average of $58,726 a year after taxes.

Don't worry friend, Trump will correct that soon enough.

A brief summary of election night at Trump's camp.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

The Pain posted:

Not much humorous to say about this one. I dashed it off just in time to make the first deadline after the election. No way around it, that election was a downer. It's become harder to blame the blackening political skies exclusively on the dumb criminal arrogance of the Bush administration; the time may have come to reluctnatly concede that most Americans are just so stupid they'll reliably vote for whoever spends more money on TV propaganda. That said, though, I have to admit the Democrats deserved to lose. Although my own Senators (Sarbanes and Miukulski) are pretty progressive and were both vocal opponents of the invasiaon of Iraq, the Democratic Party hasn't really stood for anything at all in decades, not since America's labor force was shopped out to Mexico and Reagan/Bush made it okay to hate coloreds again. Their craven support of Bush's Iraq resolution was their official announcement of death. The best thing they can do now is for their last withered remnants to die off quickly and make way for some new party that does stand for something. In the meantime I think we can safely count on the Republicans to behave so vilely--giving themselves and their corporations a few hundred billion dollars in tax breaks at our expense and sending a couple thousand expendable working-class kids to get killed in the Gulf for oil profits--that finally even the American people might notice. Or maybe it'll take al Qaeda mustard-gassing the loving Superbowl before anyone in the national press corps politely raises a hand and asks hey whatever happened to that Osama guy anyway.

Sorry, everyone. Some weeks it's harder than others to find the funny side of things. - 11/20/02

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

The CIA lets intel agents moonlight for private/corporate intelligence firms so that they don't quit for the better pay.

The former Teufelsberg NSA listening post in Berlin.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Abid_ism/status/797131515910033408

motherfucking liberals man

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.tumblr.com/video_file/t:SHKhoxko-BjxGSfdmdDOGw/153067290526/tumblr_ogep5tpnFr1slutw7

Should open in browser

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
A black guy shot some anti trump protester because he was blocking the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5efb1WVxqvI

Now that's what I call racial justice.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

People misguidedly protesting a democratically elected president (Korea)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

elbkaida posted:

People misguidedly protesting a democratically elected president (Korea)

Well it's because she has a shaman working as her chief of staff and is a child of the former dictator.

This is Orlanth bringing Justice to Jarani Whitetop and Harand Boardick. Harand lost justice and so was burned by it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Could this by why Trump got elected? I can totally see our nation collectively (yet also individually) decide to to vote for him on the chance that this would happen.

https://twitter.com/splcenter/status/797408609948663809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

• Locked thread