Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tech support question, please let me know if there's a better thread for this:

I have a Note 4 that just displayed a screen that said something like "security error the phone has been flashed with unauthorized software & is locked" also something like "You may contact the equipment manufacturer directly to see if the phone can be repaired. Please note that repair/return for this issue may have additional cost."

After that it rebooted, showed the Samsung loading screen, then a T Mobile screen. The phone was originally T Mobile, I switched it to cricket a couple months ago with no problems until now.

Now it's not even showing that T Mobile screen, it just reboots after the Samsung screen. I tried loading in safe mode to see if that would do something but it reboots before I can get it into safe mode.

After googling the initial error message I see a lot of results from people who have rooted their phones. This phone has never been rooted, it was bought new and I can't think of any suspicious software that might have caused this.

Any ideas? Right now it's a brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

LastInLine posted:

I was just about to post this. Home is like every other Google product when it first comes out in that it's just half-baked and released with the promise of future functionality only most of the time that cavalry never comes and the product withers and dies. Until the third-party support is added in and it's actually adopted by developers, the opaqueness of operation is rectified, and the inconsistencies between experiences are addressed, I'm staying away despite having interest.

I have Hue lights, Pixel XL and just got a Google Home....I've been relatively pleased with it so far. But then again I went into it knowing that it probably wouldn't have full functionality yet. It has worked fine with my Hue lights and Nest thermostat though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Harmony support would push me toward Home right now. Walking into my living room and saying "Turn on TiVo" and have that activity launch with Echo is magical.

For hue, do the have any limitations for which hub you have? With Echo, you don't get any advanced scene support if you don't have the 2nd gen Hue hub and it's annoying. I can work around it by having Harmony change the lights instead, but it's still annoying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Snowy posted:

I have a Note 4 that just displayed a screen that said something like "security error the phone has been flashed with unauthorized software & is locked" also something like "You may contact the equipment manufacturer directly to see if the phone can be repaired. Please note that repair/return for this issue may have additional cost."

After that it rebooted, showed the Samsung loading screen, then a T Mobile screen. The phone was originally T Mobile, I switched it to cricket a couple months ago with no problems until now.

Now it's not even showing that T Mobile screen, it just reboots after the Samsung screen. I tried loading in safe mode to see if that would do something but it reboots before I can get it into safe mode.

After googling the initial error message I see a lot of results from people who have rooted their phones. This phone has never been rooted, it was bought new and I can't think of any suspicious software that might have caused this.

The only thing I can think of is that it's Samsung.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vykk.Draygo posted:

XtremeGuard Spartan Tempered Glass plus coupon code Giant92. The coupon requires two items so toss in a "hi def" screen protector. With the coupon you'll pay less than $3.

I assumed Pixel XL but you can just search for the regular Pixel on there and do the same thing.

Oh hey, I actually used these guys for my T100. Man, their strategy is so obvious, but their end price is pretty right. Placed an order, 2.97 with free shipping is enough for me to try anything.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Oh hey, I actually used these guys for my T100. Man, their strategy is so obvious, but their end price is pretty right. Placed an order, 2.97 with free shipping is enough for me to try anything.

Same here, I've never used a screen protector and never had any issues regarding scratches so I was just going to skip it for my Pixel XL. But at the same time who can pass up a sale, it was $2.56! That's just 10 quarters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I bit as well, even though I'm skeptical that it'll work in conjunction with the case I've got coming.

pro con
Sep 14, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Harmony support would push me toward Home right now. Walking into my living room and saying "Turn on TiVo" and have that activity launch with Echo is magical.

For hue, do the have any limitations for which hub you have? With Echo, you don't get any advanced scene support if you don't have the 2nd gen Hue hub and it's annoying. I can work around it by having Harmony change the lights instead, but it's still annoying.

It actually has Harmony support via IFTTT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

pro con posted:

It actually has Harmony support via IFTTT.

I'm looking for native support. Google has to prove to me that they are invested in the ecosystem before I buy in.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Snowy posted:

In terms of cause, no ideas. I'd suggest flashing the stock firmware using Odin, Samsung's own firmware flashing tool.

There are a few options for downloading the firmware for your device. I prefer SamFirm, a handy tool that runs on Windows.

You can also grab the firmware from SamMobile. Make sure you type in the correct model number and region for your device, there are an ungodly number of variants for each phone. Instructions for flashing are here.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

100% Dundee posted:

Same here, I've never used a screen protector and never had any issues regarding scratches so I was just going to skip it for my Pixel XL. But at the same time who can pass up a sale, it was $2.56! That's just 10 quarters.

The nice thing about Xtreme Guard is that they almost always have a 90%+ coupon floating around. They must make enough money from people that don't know about the coupon to justify it though.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I bit as well, even though I'm skeptical that it'll work in conjunction with the case I've got coming.

What's special about the case? The glass protectors are very thin, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The nice thing about Xtreme Guard is that they almost always have a 90%+ coupon floating around. They must make enough money from people that don't know about the coupon to justify it though.

What's special about the case? The glass protectors are very thin, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

I've bought their glass stuff for all my phones and tablets and its excellent. I usually buy three at a time since my kids have a knack for breaking them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've bought their glass stuff for all my phones and tablets and its excellent. I usually buy three at a time since my kids have a knack for breaking them.

Have you tried telling them not to fastball your devices into the wall?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Have you tried telling them not to fastball your devices into the wall?

My kids are covered in grip tape and feature removable batteries.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bull3964 posted:

I'm looking for native support. Google has to prove to me that they are invested in the ecosystem before I buy in.

They aren't. Something new will come along. Evidence:
Google reader
Google voice
Google hangouts

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Melraidin posted:

Doesn't seem popular on this thread, or at least there's few responses related to it. For me I'm very tempted to get one, once they're back in stock. There are hints that something new will be announced by Oneplus on the 15th, so probably best to wait anyway.

For myself I'll wait for whatever might be announced then try to order either the new shiny or the Oneplus 3. Seems reasonable to me, with no contract or anything it'll be about half the price of the Pixel in Canada.

Yeah we'll have to see what they come out with on Tuesday. Rumour has it that the 3T will be over $600, which after taxes and all that isn't nearly as sweet a deal as the $519 for the current model. I nearly choked when I saw the $900 base price for the shittiest Pixel, so this is still a breath of fresh air.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

Yeah we'll have to see what they come out with on Tuesday. Rumour has it that the 3T will be over $600, which after taxes and all that isn't nearly as sweet a deal as the $519 for the current model. I nearly choked when I saw the $900 base price for the shittiest Pixel, so this is still a breath of fresh air.

It sounds like the main long-term effect of the Pixel is breaking the $600 barrier for Android phones.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

It sounds like the main long-term effect of the Pixel is breaking the $600 barrier for Android phones.

Which is funny because every flagship is usually the same price if not a little higher.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Whenever I get in my car, the Bluetooth automatically connects and life is good. However, my phone always starts playing Spotify. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Audible audio books and podcasts via Pocket Casts. I am mildly annoyed that my phone defaults to an app I haven't been using as soon as it connects to my car. Is there a way to change this? I haven't found any options in spotify itself, and a Google search just shows me various apps to stop the autoplay feature all together. I tried one of those apps and it sent a pause signal every time I hit play on any app, so I didn't keep it around for long.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did you try looking in your settings for a default application setting?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

Which is funny because every flagship is usually the same price if not a little higher.

True, but the Nexus line generally helped keep prices a bit more reasonable for a good phone. At least it seemed like it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

True, but the Nexus line generally helped keep prices a bit more reasonable for a good phone. At least it seemed like it.

Oh it definitely did, but it also wasn't marketed to any extent and was built basically for enthusiasts. The Pixel is going after the iPhone, Galaxy, G-series, and the HTC phones, but let's be honest; nobody really cares about HTC no more.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Are you managing do not disturb/ring schedules with anything other than what google has built in? I had a problem with 'night mode' on my droid turbo acting up and going into dnd or silencing priority calls randomly. This was even after months of using it to manage that stuff without a single issue. Others online have reported similar issues with other phones and 3rd party apps, the only workaround seems to be removing/disabling them and living with what's baked in.
I don't think so / not intentionally. I wasn't sure how to check this so I looked around in app permissions (Settings -> Apps -> [Gear Icon] -> App Permissions), and at first I thought anything with "Phone" or "SMS" allowed needed to be removed.

Then I found there another menu (Settings -> Apps -> [Gear Icon] -> Special Access -> Do Not Disturb Access) and there was only one thing there for "Google VR Services" which is a cardboard thing I guess, so I disabled that, maybe that was the problem? I think I used cardboard like once a couple months ago, and it sure as gently caress doesn't need to be disabling my phone for ANY reason.
I'll wait and see if it happens again.

Somewhat related Q, what the gently caress are the "Phone" permissions for and why does 99% of android games try to request that permission.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Somewhat related Q, what the gently caress are the "Phone" permissions for and why does 99% of android games try to request that permission.

So that the game recognizes an incoming call and pauses so you don't lose your hard fought progress? Not everything is a conspiracy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

GutBomb posted:

They aren't. Something new will come along. Evidence:
Google reader
Google voice
Google hangouts

They couldn't even support Nexus Player which should have been drat easy for them to do but I guess they preferred Chromecast where all they had to do was fart out an SDK and let everyone else do the rest

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

hotsauce posted:

So that the game recognizes an incoming call and pauses so you don't lose your hard fought progress? Not everything is a conspiracy.
Hmm yes like all those times I lost progress in a idle game where it's impossible to lose, like AdCap.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Hmm yes like all those times I lost progress in a idle game where it's impossible to lose, like AdCap.

I'm just trying to help you understand that it most likely isn't a nefarious permission. Sure, there are shady things out there, but by in large, apps need permissions to operate properly. I doubt 99.9% of game developers want to listen on your conversation with Aunt Ethyl.

Just don't install anything and sleep better at night, I guess? Up to you.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Aranan posted:

Whenever I get in my car, the Bluetooth automatically connects and life is good. However, my phone always starts playing Spotify. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Audible audio books and podcasts via Pocket Casts. I am mildly annoyed that my phone defaults to an app I haven't been using as soon as it connects to my car. Is there a way to change this? I haven't found any options in spotify itself, and a Google search just shows me various apps to stop the autoplay feature all together. I tried one of those apps and it sent a pause signal every time I hit play on any app, so I didn't keep it around for long.

I use this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cp2.start.and.play.music.player

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did you try looking in your settings for a default application setting?
Good idea. I looked around in the settings for anything along those lines. I didn't have anything set up as default for Spotify/Audible/PocketCast, nor did I see them listed as default programs anywhere.

Thanks, I'll give this one a try.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ordered an identical phone as someone 6 days earlier but found out they just received theirs while I'm still on that December 15-19 schedule. Google I thought you changed*

*I never think Google changes

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Any app the saves progress (or pauses or whatever) when you background it should handle an incoming call just fine without any need for specific permissions, no?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's an Incipio Carnaby case, and I potentially won't have my PXL until mid-December. Regardless, for the price I couldn't pass up the chance as I normally go naked screen-wise on my phones.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Back when Google implied to be heading more into home automation, by presenting Weave and Brillo, I'd have expected them to come up with a solution that'd allow users to lego together some actual home automation workflows (a la Fibaro, but a little more elegant). Haven't seen poo poo so far.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

Back when Google implied to be heading more into home automation, by presenting Weave and Brillo, I'd have expected them to come up with a solution that'd allow users to lego together some actual home automation workflows (a la Fibaro, but a little more elegant). Haven't seen poo poo so far.

Haha. I would expect the exact opposite because Google.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
No point in pushing IoT, if all you enable with it is turning things on and off remotely. And maybe change the color of a Hue bulb. Then again, Apple's Homekit seems to be a similar travesty.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Google Drive on my laptop just decided it needs me to sign in again. However, the one-tap 2-factor authentication didn't seem to get from my phone to the laptop. It seemed to register fine on the phone, but I waited a minute or so and the laptop didn't respond, so I had a text sent. Why would this happen, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Tunga posted:

Any app the saves progress (or pauses or whatever) when you background it should handle an incoming call just fine without any need for specific permissions, no?

That's what i'm sayin

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
What the hell - any ideas what could cause this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

Isn't it more about automatically handling call events specifically (like without pausing), ducking volume on older devices, that kind of thing? Plus some apps use it to get the IMEI to generate login IDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Tots posted:

What the hell - any ideas what could cause this?

How old is your phone? I'm guessing your battery is old.