Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Geokinesis posted:

Been playing StarCrawlers a lot recently and there are a lot of little things:
The enemies are all 2d but look really really good and so you don't really notice.
All skill trees have an effect in random encounters exploring, so hackers can often disable security, whilst Smugglers can negotiate with corp clerks to get info about the level or Void Psykers can melt the minds of the clerk to avoid extra battles.

If you set your party up you can have crazy attacks going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmePyEKaWng

The best thing about this are the cyberninja animations

I hope they get more ridiculous at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Polaron posted:

I've been playing the Mad Max game and man the animation work is really great. Max will almost unconsciously touch his shotgun to make sure it's still there while running. And the fire and explosions look amazing. They fill tunnels realistically and kinda woosh around your car when you drive through them.

Also if you fall from a height he won't get hurt but he will start limping with his bad leg.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The best thing about this are the cyberninja animations

I hope they get more ridiculous at release.

Yeah all their attacks look gorgeous. Although I do find it hilarious to use that combo setup move that makes the ninja slice across the screen everytime your team hits that enemy. As with my current team I have so many auto attacking things (Smuggler Shooting first with the double pistol ability) Bolty, generic robots, nanite virus etc etc Ninja is often just back and forth repeatedly till they can go again. I think I need to pair the ninja with a Void Psyker down the right hand Cthulu summon tree, that first skill often does an insane amount of attacks.

Also the soldier down the explosives tree is great, every explosive bomb skill when maxed out leaves behind mini bomblets and the top tier skill makes the damage higher and a crazy 50% chance when dropping a bomblet to drop another. If you are lucky you can end up throwing loads out into the battle field after 1 grenade, to say nothing from the bouncing betty that hops between like 12 enemies and leaves bomblets on each bounce.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Some more little things about Spirit Tracks, after having bad memories with the fire temple duet on the DS - I managed to get through after 8 tries without getting angry. For most of the game the spirit flute was the reason I wasn't really enjoying the game, but now that I've gotten the hang of it - the game is really good and I'm probably just saying since I was right outside the final boss battle when my DS game went missing years ago and I don't remember any more duets.

Also carrying cargo, passengers, etc. is strangely satisfying.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

scarycave posted:

It's a gateway drug to Euro Truck Simulator.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm playing through Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments at the moment and it has a lot of kindnesses that make the game fun to play. Like the humble run button that was painfully absent in the ABC Murders game. The big one that sticks out to me is the loading screens. It only really loads when you start the game, advance to the next chapter, or change locations. The last one is the one you'll see the most often and it's the best. Changing locales is done via carriage, and while you can look at Holmes and Watson in a little cutscene, you can also pull up your notebook to refresh yourself on the evidence or other details of the case. Since the game lets the player turn clues into deductions leading towards several different conclusions per case, it's a good idea to brush up on some of the first bits of evidence you find when nearing the end. Almost more importantly, though, is that you use the notebook to move from area to area and you can change your destination in transit. There's nothing worse than selecting the wrong place, waiting for a load screen, immediately turning around and waiting through another. In C&P, you can change the destination while loading without problem. You can also use the notebook to leave a place no matter where you are (you don't have to walk to the exit).

It feels like a game that people who played games made, which sounds dumb until you play something with really bad design. In the ABC Murders, Poirot waddled everywhere and you couldn't double click on a door to teleport or run there, it's just waddling for days. I've got some minor complaints about C&P too, but it's a real breath of fresh air.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm playing through Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments at the moment and it has a lot of kindnesses that make the game fun to play. Like the humble run button that was painfully absent in the ABC Murders game. The big one that sticks out to me is the loading screens. It only really loads when you start the game, advance to the next chapter, or change locations. The last one is the one you'll see the most often and it's the best. Changing locales is done via carriage, and while you can look at Holmes and Watson in a little cutscene, you can also pull up your notebook to refresh yourself on the evidence or other details of the case. Since the game lets the player turn clues into deductions leading towards several different conclusions per case, it's a good idea to brush up on some of the first bits of evidence you find when nearing the end. Almost more importantly, though, is that you use the notebook to move from area to area and you can change your destination in transit. There's nothing worse than selecting the wrong place, waiting for a load screen, immediately turning around and waiting through another. In C&P, you can change the destination while loading without problem. You can also use the notebook to leave a place no matter where you are (you don't have to walk to the exit).

It feels like a game that people who played games made, which sounds dumb until you play something with really bad design. In the ABC Murders, Poirot waddled everywhere and you couldn't double click on a door to teleport or run there, it's just waddling for days. I've got some minor complaints about C&P too, but it's a real breath of fresh air.

Yeah, I played through that one too. I really enjoyed it. It's also good to play with those people who like to sit and watch you play. I played it with a friend of mine, and we'd debate the cases and facts a bit before selecting an answer.

The other nice thing is that it tells you if you get it wrong in an optional way, but lets you go back and retry your answer if you were wrong. Most of the cases are really well done, with one or two little details you have to actually look for to get the right answer. It's a nice, relaxing game to play that isn't braindead.

I highly recommend the game overall. The one thing to watch out for is that in certain scenes, notably after accusing people, there are sometimes quicktime events so you have to be on guard at those junctures.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I found it incredibly distracting that there was a loading screen between transition of gameplay, from walking to a person to speaking to said person.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

scarycave posted:

Some more little things about Spirit Tracks, after having bad memories with the fire temple duet on the DS - I managed to get through after 8 tries without getting angry. For most of the game the spirit flute was the reason I wasn't really enjoying the game, but now that I've gotten the hang of it - the game is really good and I'm probably just saying since I was right outside the final boss battle when my DS game went missing years ago and I don't remember any more duets.

And the music is great! Especially the overworld theme.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I watched someone stream The Devil's Daughter, another Sherlock Holmes game, and I thought it was neat that the game never came out and told you that you'd messed up the solution to a case, much less brought the game to a screeching halt. In fact, a few cases after he'd gotten a case wrong, he got a bit of flavor text about the previous case - and it still didn't tell him he goofed.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I watched someone stream The Devil's Daughter, another Sherlock Holmes game, and I thought it was neat that the game never came out and told you that you'd messed up the solution to a case, much less brought the game to a screeching halt. In fact, a few cases after he'd gotten a case wrong, he got a bit of flavor text about the previous case - and it still didn't tell him he goofed.

That's probably my favorite part of Crimes and Punishments and Devil's Daughter. The fact that you could actually be wrong and the game would just let it happen added a feeling of actual stakes that most games don't have since they'll just railroad you into the right answer and it makes the cases way more engaging.

There aren't even any real stakes, you can choose to have the game tell you whether or not you were right after solving it and if you're wrong (or just want to see the other endings) you can reload to the moment you made your decision so there's no consequence to being wrong except your wounded pride if you don't want there to be, it just feels like there are which adds a lot to it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GOTY

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Well hello there Rusty Shackleford.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Pocket sand!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Something I noticed wasn't mentioned in the LP; so here it is.

In Shovel Knight, you have a duck button, but it lowers your character by exactly one pixel and is essentially a joke button - I think it's a reference to a MegaMan game?

Anyway, the last stage of the last boss summons energy balls that traverse the stage in a horizontal parabola, and are incredibly hard to jump around/dodge.

Unless you go on a low platform directly below them and duck. You're JUST short enough to do that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Samovar posted:

In Shovel Knight, you have a duck button, but it lowers your character by exactly one pixel and is essentially a joke button - I think it's a reference to a MegaMan game?

Anyway, the last stage of the last boss summons energy balls that traverse the stage in a horizontal parabola, and are incredibly hard to jump around/dodge.

Unless you go on a low platform directly below them and duck. You're JUST short enough to do that.

:aaaaa:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Alpha Protocol: if you've got a bad enough reputation with him, you can get Marburg so angry that he doesn't leave when he starts losing the fight and you can kill him. What I love is that in earlier conversations, he goes on about how you and he are the same so you should respect what he says. Now you lay a verbal smackdown on him explaining exactly why he's a piece of poo poo and nothing more than a lackey. It's one of the few instances in any work of fiction I can think of where the villain does the "We're not so different, you and I" speech and the hero actually calls him on his bullshit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Samovar posted:

I think it's a reference to Symphony of The Night where a lovely pair of boots increases your height by one pixel.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo

Sunswipe posted:

Alpha Protocol: if you've got a bad enough reputation with him, you can get Marburg so angry that he doesn't leave when he starts losing the fight and you can kill him. What I love is that in earlier conversations, he goes on about how you and he are the same so you should respect what he says. Now you lay a verbal smackdown on him explaining exactly why he's a piece of poo poo and nothing more than a lackey. It's one of the few instances in any work of fiction I can think of where the villain does the "We're not so different, you and I" speech and the hero actually calls him on his bullshit.

AP is "little things: the game". Provoking Marburg doesn't work if you've played the game up until that point as a professional spy dude because he knows that you're deliberately trying to make him mad by acting a fool so he calls you on it and leaves.

One of the cool little things in It is how, if you show up to the meeting with the police chief in Taipei in your tactical armour he calls you on drawing attention to yourself. If, however, you show up in tourist clothes he praises you for being discrete, giving you a reputation bonus with him

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was kinda tempted to just say "Alpha Protocol" and leave it at that. That game ruined all other games that claim "Your every decision will matter!!!" for me.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sunswipe posted:

"I will end you, Thorton."

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm just sad that the steam version doesn't like my graphics card or I'd definitely be doing another playthrough

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

My current favourite little thing on Dishonored 2 is using a combination of upgraded far reach and shadow kill to make guards just fly toward me and vanish as I kill them. Pretty much playing the game as predator now.
Also pretty hilarious pulling them in tight environments and having them keep bashing into the ceiling. One guard smashed into an open skylight panel next to him, landed on and crashed through the next one, almost landing on a surprised overseer below.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sad lions posted:

My current favourite little thing on Dishonored 2 is using a combination of upgraded far reach and shadow kill to make guards just fly toward me and vanish as I kill them. Pretty much playing the game as predator now.
Also pretty hilarious pulling them in tight environments and having them keep bashing into the ceiling. One guard smashed into an open skylight panel next to him, landed on and crashed through the next one, almost landing on a surprised overseer below.

This was probably in 1, but I am thankful that you can still move an enemy while choking them out instead of having to, say, choke in one spot then hightail it out of there with the unconscious body.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah. It's a bit awkward at times, but it's there in 1.

I think FarCry 3 (and presumably 4) still has the best version of that kind of thing, with a very smooth transition from stabby stab -> drag. On the other hand, there's no nonlethal option and you're never expected to whisk people away from one side of the map to the other.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sunswipe posted:

I was kinda tempted to just say "Alpha Protocol" and leave it at that. That game ruined all other games that claim "Your every decision will matter!!!" for me.

I kind of love that it crops up every few pages because unlike Dark Souls in the dragging things down thread, even if it's the same thing people love about AP every time, it makes me happy to know someone else has discovered the fun parts of the game.

Meanwhile I've been playing Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2 lately and my favorite little thing about it, and dragon ball z in general, is just how Frieza's minions continually get characterized as almost completely non-threatening goofs the second you're not on goku's side. There's one quest where Vegeta is apparently joining the Ginyu force and the whole time Ginyu and Jeice are talking about posing and how poses come from the heart while vegeta just angrily grunts.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Shadow Complex Remastered is in this week's Humble Bundle and it's kind of amazing that despite being almost a decade old and arguably kicking off the indie metroidvania resurgence that's still going on to this day so much of it still feels fresh and unique. The flashlight that highlights destructible objects alone is something almost every metroidvania could use, and maybe it's just fatigue from a zillion faux-retro pixel indie knockoffs but having an actual fully-3d environment and the way it let's them mess around with camera angles and the foreground feels way more interesting and memorable even if the actual setting is a generic sci-fi military base.

Also once you get the jetpack upgrade your dude uses it to instantly zip up ladders when you climb them.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I really appreciate just how common "[glare silently]" is a dialogue option in Tyranny. Like, "at least once, sometimes more, in almost every conversation" common.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

Shadow Complex Remastered is in this week's Humble Bundle and it's kind of amazing that despite being almost a decade old and arguably kicking off the indie metroidvania resurgence that's still going on to this day so much of it still feels fresh and unique. The flashlight that highlights destructible objects alone is something almost every metroidvania could use, and maybe it's just fatigue from a zillion faux-retro pixel indie knockoffs but having an actual fully-3d environment and the way it let's them mess around with camera angles and the foreground feels way more interesting and memorable even if the actual setting is a generic sci-fi military base.

Also once you get the jetpack upgrade your dude uses it to instantly zip up ladders when you climb them.

They should, considering that the best one introduced it as a feature. :colbert:

Super Metroid

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not sure if anyone ever played old platformer Vexx on the ps2 but while the story is poorly presented garbage, the charm comes from the gameplay. It doesn't so much have a difficulty curve as it starts off tricky then gets plain hard fairly quickly. It's like the games going "Oh, you think you can platform? Mario 64? Jak and Daxter?! Cute... i'll show you platforming! First level - Finicky jumps on floating rocks and hidden jumping puzzle tower that's long and hard! Second level - Underwater LABYRINTH Fucker! Plus a secret entrance from aforementioned tower to an identical but harder tower. Good luck!"

Also the fourth level is basically the best - platforming in a giant living room, manipulating a game of breakout while balancing on the analog stick that controls it, jumping into the piano for an incredibly difficult platforming section on music notes, staves, and instruments, and collecting the equivalent of the 8 red coins (6 bottles) on a swaying chandelier, with each branch containing one bottle. All really hard but also really fun.

Apparently the level after this is a difficulty spike but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.

Every level in Vexx is simply a tutorial for the last level and final boss. The game teaches you an insane skill set, and the the last level tests that.

Good luck!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still 37 pages behind in reading this thread but aside from everything getting desynched in the cutscenes the sound design of Typing of the Dead: Overkill is really good. The menus have really good funky music that almost tells me to take a break in between levels.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The final boss pissed me off so I've gone back to Rise of the Tomb Raider. Love how feisty Lara is in this one compared to in the first reboot game - especially getting cut off in the middle of calling the main villain a oval office. That was pretty funny. I also liked

"You won't get far without my help!"
"You should see how far I've come so far..."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Little thing outside of games: Dishonored 1 and 2's achievements.

Dishonored 1 cannot be completed without using your supernatural powers, because you need at least the teleport power to complete the tutorial on... y'know, how to use your powers. From that point on, you can beat the game with the teleport as your only power and buying no more, hence the achievement for doing so: "Mostly Flesh and Steel".

Dishonored 2 went a step further and allows you to turn down the powers on offer altogether, and so a word has been dropped from the cheevo. Now it's just "Flesh and Steel".

I dunno, I thought it was clever.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Firewatch is mostly a walking simulator game in which you play as a forest fire lookout in a Wisconsin forest, and there aren't a ton of animals...besides raccoons. There's an entire set of Easter eggs dedicated to trash bandits, which includes a single raccoon sitting on a stump way off the main path. He will sit there forever trying to smash open a granola bar until you call your friend Delilah or get too close, and you can even take a picture of him. :3:

Since it's an Indie game I think they couldn't allocate too many resources to making woodland animals, but it tickles me that someone put his/her foot down and demanded that there be washing bears in this game!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

QuietLion posted:

Firewatch is mostly a walking simulator game in which you play as a forest fire lookout in a Wisconsin forest, and there aren't a ton of animals...besides raccoons. There's an entire set of Easter eggs dedicated to trash bandits, which includes a single raccoon sitting on a stump way off the main path. He will sit there forever trying to smash open a granola bar until you call your friend Delilah or get too close, and you can even take a picture of him. :3:

Since it's an Indie game I think they couldn't allocate too many resources to making woodland animals, but it tickles me that someone put his/her foot down and demanded that there be washing bears in this game!

Don't forget about Shelly Duval.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Canemacar posted:

Don't forget about Shelly Duval.
Turt Reynolds is a strong contender. :allears:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

QuietLion posted:

One of the audio commentaries (which are also excellent, by the way) talks about how one of the creative team fought and fought to get the raccoon in the game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

man, I thought Overwatch was terrible. being presented as a game added nothing to the story.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Efexeye posted:

man, I thought Overwatch was terrible. being presented as a game added nothing to the story.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

FIREwatch, sorry