Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

Speaking of the "National" Dex, are Unova/Kalos/Alola actually different countries or is PokéJapan really culturally diverse and big? :v:

Kanto and Jhoto are the actual Kanto region in Japan (Tokyo is Saffron City)

Hoenn is the Kyushu region (most southern Japanese island)

Sinnoh is Hokkaido (most northern Japanese island)

Unova is New York and New Jersey

Kalos is France

Alola is Hawaii

Pokemon Ranger and any other side game that's part of the main universe also used smaller areas of the Japanese map.

The real world political lines exist, just Pokefied. Plus the game is played through the eyes of an 11 year old kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

extra row of teeth posted:

Great, the three turds are back. I was so loving sick of seeing this thing's dopily designed face(s) in every OU team and was thrilled when Excadrill became OU's top mole.

Well they are coming back with slick hair at least.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Dr. Fetus posted:

Rotation is also gone.
Gamefreak why? It was my favorite battle format :(

My Trick Room/Wish Aromatisse is crying

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Txn posted:

Gamefreak why? It was my favorite battle format :(

My Trick Room/Wish Aromatisse is crying

You'll understand when you see the single digit frame rates in doubles. At least they prioritized the music.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dehry posted:

Kalos is France

Alola is Hawaii

Pokemon Ranger and any other side game that's part of the main universe also used smaller areas of the Japanese map.

The real world political lines exist, just Pokefied. Plus the game is played through the eyes of an 11 year old kid.

Orre is based on Arizona.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I'm going to assume that the reason they got rid of rotation and triples is because the game can't really handle that many Pokemon on screen at once. I don't remember if it was said or not but I'm assuming that means horde battles are gone too. Assuming that's the case it would have been nice for them to fix the problem rather than completely removing the game modes, but not a lot we can do about it at this point. Personally I would have rather they didn't try to push as many polygons if the system or engine couldn't really handle it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

PSWII60 posted:

Personally I would have rather they didn't try to push as many polygons if the system or engine couldn't really handle it.

It's 100% an engine problem, Gamefreak have no clue what they're doing with 3D and it shows in a lot of places. The game itself is optimized like trash and while trying to cut out the middle-man and not have a third party help them build the tools and framework for their 3DS mainline titles was admirable, it was a complete failure, and they need a studio who knows how to work with 3D assets on limited hardware to come in and clean up their mess.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PSWII60 posted:

I'm going to assume that the reason they got rid of rotation and triples is because the game can't really handle that many Pokemon on screen at once. I don't remember if it was said or not but I'm assuming that means horde battles are gone too. Assuming that's the case it would have been nice for them to fix the problem rather than completely removing the game modes, but not a lot we can do about it at this point. Personally I would have rather they didn't try to push as many polygons if the system or engine couldn't really handle it.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Has anyone ever looked down at their handheld Pokemon game and thought "drat I sure would love to see this beautiful piece of hardware chug and stress along on a loving turn based RPG"

What did they do that makes SM even more of a lagfest than XY was? And what made them think it was a good idea? I mean these games are for every one 3DS system right, so why make a game that plays like poo poo on half of the 3DS options?

edit: I hear ya vvv

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

A big part of the problem is the Pokemon models are absurdly high poly. They made them that way as futureproofing so as not to need to make a thousand models every time they want to do something new. Problem is they overdid it and now with the more detailed battle scenes in Sun and Moon and the trainer models also being in battle...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

HoneyBoy posted:

I mean these games are for every one 3DS system right, so why make a game that plays like poo poo on half of the 3DS options?

it performs almost the same on an N3DS

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

HoneyBoy posted:

Has anyone ever looked down at their handheld Pokemon game and thought "drat I sure would love to see this beautiful piece of hardware chug and stress along on a loving turn based RPG"

What did they do that makes SM even more of a lagfest than XY was? And what made them think it was a good idea? I mean these games are for every one 3DS system right, so why make a game that plays like poo poo on half of the 3DS options?

edit: I hear ya vvv

Because Gamefreak is poo poo at optimization?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

On the other hand, fps really shouldn't matter in a turn based handheld rpg. At least going by the demo (on a regular 3ds xl) while the slowdown was sometimes noticeable it had no effect on gameplay.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

less laughter posted:

it performs almost the same on an N3DS

I'd been reading posts here that there was a notable difference between the different 3DS iterations

I guess this is even worse news haha

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

I'd been reading posts here that there was a notable difference between the different 3DS iterations

I guess this is even worse news haha

There's a notable difference if you actually think "oh, it didn't lag as bad here!" excuses the fact that it's still going to chug whenever there are 5 or more models on the screen. There are minimum 4 for every battle, since trainer, trainer, pokemon, pokemon. For most people if it chugs, it chugs and the degree to which it sometimes doesn't chug is fairly meaningless.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So the clothes you can buy are really expensive, like they are in XY, yes? So it behooves us all to make sure we get as many of the items from the demo, right? Need that sweet sweet :10bux: for cool clothes, ASAP.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Reinanigans posted:

So the clothes you can buy are really expensive, like they are in XY, yes? So it behooves us all to make sure we get as many of the items from the demo, right? Need that sweet sweet :10bux: for cool clothes, ASAP.

The cheaper clothing options are about $3,000-$6,000 pokebucks. The most expensive I've seen was a leather backpack for $300,000.

In other words, yes.

On a related note, every hair dresser I've found has had the same boring options for hair color and yet people in my festival plaza keep showing up with purple hair and white hair and it's driving me insane. They're otherwise wearing clothes that I've seen for sale or are right in line with what I've seen for sale, so it stands to reason everything they're sporting should be available. If I get to the last island (yes, I'm playing slowly) and there's no crazy hair color options I'm going to be quite upset.

By the way, "Iconic Tee" is the best shirt in the game. I won't ruin it for you guys. Just remember that and go find it.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Supremezero posted:

Because Gamefreak is poo poo at optimization?

considering they had to get satoru iwata himself to fit kanto into gold and silver, this is probably right

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dehry posted:

Kalos is France

Alola is Hawaii

Don't forget about India and the United States of America as actual canon places

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sockser posted:

Don't forget about India and the United States of America as actual canon places

South America too, right?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cheetah7071 posted:

specifically Guyana

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

cheetah7071 posted:

Russia is also specifically mentioned!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dehry posted:

Kalos is France

Alola is Hawaii

I feel like the series has been going a weird direction with its real-world influences. Up through B/W they mostly just drew inspiration from real places; Kalos had the main city which was clearly supposed to be Paris, but now the entire Alola region is literally Hawaii. It feels like they really overdid it with trying to insert the culture to where it feels like a cheesy edutainment game where every character has some sort of stereotypical speech pattern or accent and drops in a ton of unnecessary Hawaiian words like kahuna and totem. The closest thing B/W had to anything like that one gym leader who wore a cowboy hat

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

They kind of acknowledged that in the PWT by saying "Wait is Lt. Surge from Unova?"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

checksin posted:

considering they had to get satoru iwata himself to fit kanto into gold and silver, this is probably right

Not just that - they couldn't even have localized Red/Green if Iwata hadn't stepped in and mapped out how to do it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Looks like Mimikyu's ability cannot be re-used by switching it out and back in. Only works once per battle.

Self-inflicted damage from Curse does not pop Disguise, but hurting yourself from confusion does, which is weird and sort of frustrating.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Funkmaster General posted:

Looks like Mimikyu's ability cannot be re-used by switching it out and back in. Only works once per battle.

Self-inflicted damage from Curse does not pop Disguise, but hurting yourself from confusion does, which is weird and sort of frustrating.

i don't care. i still love it very much

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

By the way, "Iconic Tee" is the best shirt in the game. I won't ruin it for you guys. Just remember that and go find it.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess Ash's plain black t-shirt from the Kanto/Johto

This whole programming talk is why I want the next games to be on the Switch so much. The game looks pretty, just up the resolution to 720, use slightly nicer textures and it should be running at a very solid framerate, possibly even with triple and rotation battles coming back.
I just look at the citrus 1080p no lines hack (that is edited in post to not run like poo poo since it's an emulator) and I think the look is perfect. The overworld is a bit too korean mmo-ish, but everything else looks stellar, and if the 3DS can "handle" it then the Switch, assuming it's at least Wii U levels of power, should easily handle it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What the gently caress is there a trick to the Friend Safari/catching Metangs? Used dozens of loving balls and never caught one of those fuckers

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So if a Pokemon has an Alolan form, having them breed in Alola, even if they aren't Alolan themselves, will always result in the baby being Alolan. :cripes: Really, Gamefreak?

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress is there a trick to the Friend Safari/catching Metangs? Used dozens of loving balls and never caught one of those fuckers

They have the same catch rate as most legendaries, 3. Basically you need a lot of luck.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seconding this, though I don't use it because I play as a girl like Game Freak intended.

I also wish I could figure out how to get anime hair colours too. Doesn't seem to be in the same way that X+Y did, via your style rating.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr. Fetus posted:

So if a Pokemon has an Alolan form, having them breed in Alola, even if they aren't Alolan themselves, will always result in the baby being Alolan. :cripes: Really, Gamefreak?

Good thing there's like....7 of those pokemon so you really don't have to worry too much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a sign in game saying that it's only a chance though.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's a sign in game saying that it's only a chance though.

A chance? Great, another RNG variable to throw in for competitive breeding. :saddowns:

(I know gen 6 has it WAY easier than previously to get an ideal Pokémon, but it's still a pain in the rear end especially if you want one of a specific gender for fun)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dr. Fetus posted:

They have the same catch rate as most legendaries, 3. Basically you need a lot of luck.

In DPPt you have a chance to get Beldum as a Pokemon outbreak, but:
- Beldum only knows Take Down, so you have to use a Ghost or it'll knock itself out.
- The area it'll appear in has a constant Sandstorm.
Combined with that low catch-rate it almost offers the best opportunity for your Master Ball!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Which of the pokemon that got alolan forms has competitive use? :confused:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just burnt through all the money I had picking random hair combos and colours to see if "times used" is the trigger for the pigtails and anime hair and it doesn't seem to be the case because I must have reached 20 times or so overall before I reset it.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Tell me what the iconic tee is

put it behind spoiler tags

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I just burnt through all the money I had picking random hair combos and colours to see if "times used" is the trigger for the pigtails and anime hair and it doesn't seem to be the case because I must have reached 20 times or so overall before I reset it.

You know what? This is the best thing of the game leaking. By Thursday afternoon there probably will be some spreadsheet detailing all the hairs and how to get them, so no wasting money doing guesswork of what style will look okay.

Still sucks that no pompadour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Avalerion posted:

Which of the pokemon that got alolan forms has competitive use? :confused:

Regular Dugtrio. It's probably gonna see more use with the buff to 100 ATK, and it has Arena Trap, which is far better than a reskinned Gooey.