Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You haven't lived unless you've been to Bastuträsk more than once.

In regards to actual towns outside of Stockholm, Örebro is pretty nice. Only 2 hours away from the center of the Swediverse (Stockholm) and it has a big juicy castle smack down in the middle of town! Also, a really nice University (hence me living there atm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Uppsala is fine, if you didn't want to eat kebab anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I live in sjukt lokal lokal-tv, it's great (really it is).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Uppsala is fine, if you didn't want to eat kebab anyway.

NO KEBAB!??!?!?!?!?!? (Loads of FYR immigrants?)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

NO KEBAB!??!?!?!?!?!? (Loads of FYR immigrants?)
There is lots of irrationally bad kebab. Falafel situation is somewhat better, but if you want some meat in your poo poo, there's like a single place that can offer flatbread with anything but garbage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like my kebab with fries, and macaroni salad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There is lots of irrationally bad kebab. Falafel situation is somewhat better, but if you want some meat in your poo poo, there's like a single place that can offer flatbread with anything but garbage.

If I wan't some meat in my poo poo I'll just enlist :wink:.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I like my kebab with fries, and macaroni salad
*The product may contain between dozen and two dozen jalapenos.
**Served relatively warm.
***Seasoned with the spicy mix and half a cup of mayo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*The product may contain between dozen and two dozen jalapenos.
**Served relatively warm.
***Seasoned with the spicy mix and half a cup of mayo.

Right, a true kebab

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Grew up outside of Uppsala. Can confirm the claims re: kebab ITT. The situation is dire.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My prime mystery, at this point, as I've resigned understand the culinary performance art behind the affair, is why jalapenos are called feferoni in Swedish.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My prime mystery, at this point, as I've resigned understand the culinary performance art behind the affair, is why jalapenos are called feferoni in Swedish.

Why is semla called fralla :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You mean?
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peperoni_(spanskpeppar)

Pepperoncini in english.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

You mean?
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peperoni_(spanskpeppar)

Pepperoncini in english.
Yeah, the most famous cultivar of the species is called jalapeño, so I have always presumed it is just that.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why is semla called fralla :shrug:

It's not?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Cardiac posted:

It's not?

Finlandsvenskarna kallar frallor semlor, och semlor är fastlagsbullar

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Skåningar kallar frallor för bullar. :monocle:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Svartvit posted:

uppknullat om sant

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Svartvit posted:

Inte så ofta dock. Vi har bullar också.

Fråga oss vad vi menar med ballar.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

How would a Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton election win impact Sweden’s relations with the USA?

That's what Sweden’s embassy in Washington D.C has attempted to answer in two reports sent to the Swedish foreign ministry (Utrikesdepartementet, or UD for short) in October, with subjects like what defence and counter-terrorism may look like under the two potential presidents tackled.

But when Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet made a request to see the documents, the amount of information that was made available for publication differed significantly between the two candidates.

Before sending them to the tabloid, UD carried out a confidenciality assessment to see if duty of confidentiality limits the right to communicate or publish any of the information according to Sweden’s Freedom of the Press Act.

And as a result, large sections on Trump were blacked out when the documents were released, while far fewer of the sections on Clinton were omitted, Aftonbladet reports.

According to the newspaper, UD’s explanation for censoring some of the information is that it could “disrupt Sweden’s relationship with another state”.

Several of the sections on Clinton were made public however. In one part the embassy wrote: “Clinton knows Europe, has close relationships with leaders in several European countries and is accustomed to working with Europe.”

The documents also stated that “multilateral institutions and global norms have an important place in Clinton’s policy”.

Under a section entitled “General” the embassy described how Clinton acted in her role as US Secretary of State, and that it expects her to continue along the same lines if she is elected.

When it came to Trump however, the entire passage under same heading was deemed classified.

One explanation for keeping the lid on the analysis of a Trump presidency may be that his lack of previous experience in office makes it difficult to find clear information, and an element of speculation is therefore involved.

“Trump has spoken a lot about foreign policy during his campaign, but how that will all translate into overall policy if he becomes president is unclear. A lot of speculation occurs, and that maybe isn’t publishable,” Björn Jerdén of the Swedish Institute of International Affairs told Aftonbladet.

Sweden's former prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt said meanwhile that much of what may happen if Trump wins was still unclear.

“A concern is that it is unclear what he plans on doing as president if he wins,” the former Moderate leader told Aftonbladet.
Grim.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fader Movitz posted:

Finlandsvenskarna kallar frallor semlor, och semlor är fastlagsbullar

Most Finnish Swedes call them sämpylä because they're only Swedish-speaking on paper :smugmrgw:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Sounds reasonable.

Couple of "good" things about Trump winning:
Defence/NATO might actually get higher priority now.
S&M might realise that their current modus operandis is not the right way.
We might get some good punk/rock songs.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tinzorg (pbuh) on the US election and the western left (in Swedish)

https://tinkzorg.wordpress.com/2016/11/10/ser-du-morkret-skorpan/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Låter bra

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Jerry Cotton posted:

Most Finnish Swedes call them sämpylä because they're only Swedish-speaking on paper :smugmrgw:

Vitun hurrit! :argh:

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 11, 2016

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Norrlänningar kallar pannkakor för plättar.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Plättar är ju bara pannkakor som krympt i tvätten.

e: Sorry forgot this was scandipol and not skandinavientråden.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

TheFluff posted:

I've been to about a dozen of these and agree with the recommendations in all cases. Can contribute Björneborg (in Värmland, not in Finnish Österbotten).

Speaking of this though, quick poll: how many people of my own generation and younger (say, born after 1985?) actually know what a länsbokstav is, or even better actually know which letter(s) corresponds to which county? I know it because I have a knack for remembering obscure and pointless trivia and also because of all the officious historical texts I work with, but they're hardly in common use these days and I don't remember learning about them in school.

Younger, I know of them, since my dog tag has länskod W engraved on it, coincidentally the only länskod i remember by heart. Otherwise haven't encountered länsbokstäver much at all, nothing I was taught in school.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 12, 2016

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

To what extent do you guys think the situation in the US politics can be compared to Swedish politics?

The successes of a white nationalist party in the US has emboldened racist elements, people no longer feel the need to hide their terrible opinions. It has normalised racism in other words.

One of the big arguments against voting against SD is just that, that xenophobia and racism would be normalized. However, whatever you might think of the party itself, I think that they did have some salient points regarding immigration and refugee politics. The politics of the GOP are more about FYGMism and pitting the white middle and lowerclass against minorities, and I feel that most republican voters vote the way they do because of either social issues (religion, gays) or FYGM. However a lot of people who vote for SD I feel do so because of a genuine frustration with the immigration/refugee situation, and by that I mean not so much that they dislike brown people, but that the burden they put on society and the social safety net will be too heavy. The people I know that voted SD did so for that reason at least. So in that sense I've had some tolerance and sympathy for SD and the people who vote for them because I don't believe they're racist (any more than the most of us, anyways)

But my question I guess is: Am I deluding myself?

I mean, even if these people vote SD with the best of intentions, doesn't this still support a racist, homophobic and misogynistic party?
I know other parties have now changed their own immigration politics to reduce how many people we take in as a result, like S and M (I think) but people still support SD, I assume because they feel the other parties handled the situation poorly, and they simply don't trust their judgement anymore, and I get that. But isn't a vote for SD, even for the best of reasons, still a vote against the most marginalized people in society? If nothing else by normalizing hateful opinions against them?

I used to think that the ostracism of SD voters was harsh, and that their opinions were legitimate and should be respected (assuming they didn't just hate foreigners). I now see white people in the US saying the same drat thing about Trump voters. "We should come together" "Respect their opinions" and all that crap, and I can't help but wonder: Is there a difference? If I lived in the US, would I be preaching about respecting the Trumpets opinions? Or am I comparing apples to orange fascists?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

McCloud posted:

But my question I guess is: Am I deluding myself?

Yes. The election was held in 2014, before the current refugee situation, so using that as an explanation or excuse for how you voted can't be done. It was always about not liking foreigners in general.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

You somewhat sound like the kind of an American who is now going on about the Clinton's election failure with "economic anxiety" and "should've not ostracised the rural vote", yes. A vote for SD supports the party and the politicians first and foremost, and only then their alleged policy goals. Hence, voting for them you implicitly reinforce their entire set of beliefs, and show by example that doing so is normal.

The only reason SD is so popular right now is S/M's slow response to the immigration situation. People are not smart and will vote over a single issue, without bothering to think through such details as voting for someone who describes itself as "Sverigedemokraterna är ett socialkonservativt parti med nationalistisk grundsyn".

Contacting your party to pressure them into a reassessment of situation is hard. You have to either write coherently, or organise a mass actions of sorts, or both. But it still is doable, so I can't find any high, or even middle, ground in enablement of a party that gets off jokes such as "There were so many Jews in Auschwitz because the train tickets were free".

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
SD wins a lot on media working against them and every party refusing to work with them, and lo and behold the media was covering up sexual assaults done by refugees. And the Right would rather relinquish power in "the worst political maneuver in swedish history DÖ" which makes a right leaning voter much more likely to jump ship.
Everyone just handled the problem with SD so badly, they seem like a polished up outsider with some good policies for many people, and many just ignore every scandal because it's coming from media and similar. poo poo like nazi jokes doesn't matter.

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 16, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Problem in sweden is same as in rest of world, political centrism / third way bullshit. People want alternatives, globalization is hollowing out society from the inside out.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
SD are a bunch of washed-up neo-nazis who were smart enough to swap the brownshirts for suits. Voting for them won't fix anything, and buying into the myths they're propagating won't fix anything either. The problem facing Europe today isn't a bunch of war refugees, it's that neoliberalism is busy making GBS threads the bed once again.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 16, 2016

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Cerebral Bore posted:

SD are a bunch of washed-up neo-nazis who were smart enough to swap the brownshirts for suits. Voting for them won't fix anything, and buying into the myths they're propagating won't fix anything either. The problem facing Europe today isn't a bunch of war refugees, it's that neoliberalism is busy making GBS threads the bed once again.

It's both actually

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's also the whole thing where the main parties (in Sweden and elsewhere) are just perceived as a grey slurry around the center of the political spectrum nowadays and people feel it doesn't matter what you vote for because nothing really changes anyway, at least not for the better. I don't agree, but I get this opinion from a lot of people who don't have the time/interest to dig deeper into politics. Remember that for a lot of people the only political point they care about are "Do I personally get more money and/or better service?" and for pretty much every party the answer currently is "no".

SD and other parties using populist rhethorics are perceived as different, and they provide the "obvious, simple and wrong" answer that if we just magic the refugees away then everything will be OK again. If we can throw the refugees and immigrants out then the unprofitable steel and paper mills in the north will reopen and be profitable again, the brain-drained rural towns will suddenly attract investors and employers, hospitals and schools will have all the doctors, nurses and teachers they need and there will be snow for christmas.

e:

Wild Horses posted:

Everyone just handled the problem with SD so badly, they seem like a polished up outsider with some good policies for many people, and many just ignore every scandal because it's coming from media and similar. poo poo like nazi jokes doesn't matter.
This too. Demonising SD and their voters hasn't done anything but make their voters double down because they see it as meaning the established parties are scared, which means they're hiding the truth. Pointing out the fallacies of SD's policies doesn't help either, because as previously mentioned the average voter just doesn't care about the finer points.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 16, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'd be a single issue voter for snow on Christmas, in all honesty.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Svartvit posted:

Yes. The election was held in 2014, before the current refugee situation, so using that as an explanation or excuse for how you voted can't be done. It was always about not liking foreigners in general.

Eh, last year made the situation apparent for everyone instead of being localized to certain parts and areas of Sweden. We had issues with immigrants in Malmö in the 90s.
One start would be 2006, when SD got 23% in Landskrona (at the time known as Skånes Chicago) where S completely neglected actual issues with immigrants, in this case Albanians from Kosovo.
That is sort of the entrance of SD on the national scene and was due to actual issues that the existing parties neglected.
And this is the whole reason for the rise of SD.

Alliansen had an investigation regarding toughening up immigration/integration 2009, but that was thrown out of the window after SD got into Riksdagen. Mauricio Rojas (Lib) predicted a lot of the things that we currently experience with segregation, but he was ostracised from politics. Alliansen had an oppurtunity to deal with this, but for a number of reasons decided not to mainly due to the arrival of SD in Riksdagen in 2010 meant that 4 years was spent attacking SD instead of dealing with the actual problems, which directly caused SD to gain support by pointing towards an actual problem. Considering last year, Åkesson is going to spend the next 2 years saying he had been right all along and SD have by other parties neglect gotten in a position where they are seen as the trustworthy ones.

Collateral Damage posted:

This too. Demonising SD and their voters hasn't done anything but make their voters double down because they see it as meaning the established parties are scared, which means they're hiding the truth. Pointing out the fallacies of SD's policies doesn't help either, because as previously mentioned the average voter just doesn't care about the finer points.

Another issue is that SD voters are the most pessimistic ones and see only that things are getting worse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You somewhat sound like the kind of an American who is now going on about the Clinton's election failure with "economic anxiety" and "should've not ostracised the rural vote", yes.
They're right. Hillary lost because she represented an establishment that has completely lost touch with most of its base, causing a lot of the people who voted for Obama to see no point in voting for her, or to vote for the guy who at least acknowledges that their circumstances are terrible. Decades of economic malaise and a candidate selling herself as the status quo candidate does not a winning combination make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're right. Hillary lost because she represented an establishment that has completely lost touch with most of its base, causing a lot of the people who voted for Obama to see no point in voting for her, or to vote for the guy who at least acknowledges that their circumstances are terrible. Decades of economic malaise and a candidate selling herself as the status quo candidate does not a winning combination make.
Status quo and somehow fantasizing that Trump will be more, or even comparably, beneficial to the economical situation, both on the whole and for lower income spectrum in particular, are different things, in my opinion. My argument concerns that and the now often mentioned idea that maybe people should've tried to figure out why rural whites hate <slur of the week>. In reality, it is impossible to bring jobs en masse to uneducated rednecks who just hate losing power over others, and see urbanisation/globalisation/equality as a threat. It's funny, since vote against political status-quo is effectively vote for societal status-quo.

As a side note, people who vote for a rapist buffoon who tells anyone what they want to hear despite of his grand ideas to show UK what is an actually stupid policy, and his "electrocute the gay away" sidekick, are very shortsighted. It'd be almost funny if they weren't just going to day within years when they have neither infrastructure, nor medicine available, just opiates to kill themselves and their families with.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 16, 2016