Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
New coworker goes by the nickname "Tryst". It's on her nametag and everything. Her full name is Christiana and I haven't yet asked how Tryst is short for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

New coworker goes by the nickname "Tryst". It's on her nametag and everything. Her full name is Christiana and I haven't yet asked how Tryst is short for that.

just guessing, but probably along the lines of my knowing a person who is named Robert but goes by RahRah because that's how his little sister pronounced his name and it just stuck

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ookiimarukochan posted:

Dudley is a man's name though - obviously her parents wanted a boy!

I know a female Nicky who is actually a Dominic. Her parents were convinced they were having a boy and weren't going to let a small thing like reality deter them from bestowing the name they'd chosen.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Lady Demelza posted:

I know a female Nicky who is actually a Dominic. Her parents were convinced they were having a boy and weren't going to let a small thing like reality deter them from bestowing the name they'd chosen.

Could always change it to Dominique

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Is he a boxer or something? I'd love to hear the commentary from one of those matches.
"He's got Semen on the ropes. Semen has lost control and is all over the place!"

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
A good friend of mine is currently dating a woman named Michael, which has been kind of weird.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

poop dood posted:

A good friend of mine is currently dating a woman named Michael, which has been kind of weird.

I've met a couple chicks named Micheal, I think it's a french thing

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never heard of any French speaker named Micheal. It appears to be Gaelic, male name though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Phlegmish posted:

I've never heard of any French speaker named Micheal. It appears to be Gaelic, male name though.

Maybe they mean Michel?

Also, I was reading an article in the paper this morning about a homicide investigation. The victim's name is Shelsea Schilling.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

My neighbor in college was named Isis. She was Egyptian, too, so she got some...interesting reactions out in Bumfuck, Ohio. Totally normal name ruined by current events.

What part of bumfuck, ohio

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
There's a girl in my college program whose name on all class lists is "Princess Laydee".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

poop dood posted:

Michal is the first wife of King David and daughter of King Saul in the Old Testament. Here's a fun fact: the bride price King Saul demanded for her marriage was 100 Philistine foreskins. Then King David abandoned her for awhile but after marrying a series of other wives with such incredible names as Ahinoam and Eglah, decided he wanted her back. I love the Old Testament.

There's also the slightly less Biblical Michael Michele, whose legal name at birth was Michael Michele Williams. First name Michael, middle name Michele.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Stoatbringer posted:

Is he a boxer or something? I'd love to hear the commentary from one of those matches.
"He's got Semen on the ropes. Semen has lost control and is all over the place!"

They probs just pronounce it correctly, as in Simyon. Hockey announcers never called Miroslav Šatan Satan like the Devil either.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Beaten.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

They probs just pronounce it correctly, as in Simyon. Hockey announcers never called Miroslav Šatan Satan like the Devil either.

And yet American golf commentators can never get Pádraig Harrington's name right, consistently saying "pa-DRAYG" instead of "POD-ric".

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

KoRMaK posted:

What part of bumfuck, ohio
The wilderness north of Columbus

(I went to Kenyon, the closest civilization was Mount Vernon, OH, the meth capital of the midwest)

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The wilderness north of Columbus

(I went to Kenyon, the closest civilization was Mount Vernon, OH, the meth capital of the midwest)

I grew up in a little slice of hell, known as Newark, OH.

If I was still there I'd need meth to cope with such a dull place.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

poop dood posted:

I went to elementary school with a girl name Micheal, pronounced "Michael." She was pretty cool, and we would all gently caress with new subs who expected her to be a boy.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Dogfish posted:

Michal is the first wife of King David and daughter of King Saul in the Old Testament. Here's a fun fact: the bride price King Saul demanded for her marriage was 100 Philistine foreskins.

I hope the job of Royal Foreskin Accountant paid really well.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

And yet American golf commentators can never get Pádraig Harrington's name right, consistently saying "pa-DRAYG" instead of "POD-ric".

That doesn't make it sound sexually or religiously subversive, though.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

poop dood posted:

Princess Michael of Kent.

OK, this is sort of cheating, as her real name is Marie and her title comes from her husband, Prince Michael of Kent.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Lady Demelza posted:

Princess Michael of Kent.

OK, this is sort of cheating, as her real name is Marie and her title comes from her husband, Prince Michael of Kent.

Since Marie-Christine von Reibnitz had no British titles of her own, she takes it from her husband. Prince Michael is the younger brother of the present Duke of Kent, so prince is his only title.

She's not entitled to be called Princess Marie-Christine, because she wasn't born into British royalty. She is the daughter of a former baron, but her father's title came from a foreign country.

People who marry into the Windsor dynasty are required to renounce their foreign titles prior to the wedding. The most famous example of this is the Queen's husband, Prince Philip, who had to renounce his title "Prince of Greece and Denmark" before he could marry King George VI's daughter, the then-Princess Elizabeth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's apparently kind of bitter about the whole situation too since his kids can't take his name.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

He's apparently kind of bitter about the whole situation too since his kids can't take his name.

When Prince Charles was born, Philip complained that he was the only man in the UK who couldn't give his children his name. Eventually, a consolation of sorts was arranged to soothe his feelings of irrelevance.

The name of the royal dynasty is still The House of Windsor, but it was declared that any descendants of Philip and the Queen who needed a last name would use the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. This looks good, but their sons all have titles of their own that are used as a last name, like Wales, York, and Wessex. Prince William can use his dukedom for a last name (Cambridge) and Prince Harry still uses his father's name (Wales) because he won't be given his dukedom (Sussex) until he marries.

When Princess Anne, their only daughter, signed the registry at her first wedding, she wrote "Anne Mountbatten-Windsor," but this is the only time I know of when this surname was used by anyone.

Popcyan
Jun 5, 2012
Friend-of-a-friend just had a baby girl called 'Nevayah'.

Firstly, 'Neveah' was invented as a name because it was 'Heaven' spelled backwards, that's its only meaning. Misspelled it doesn't mean anything.

Secondly, the baby is English and 'Neva- yah' sounds like two english people having an argument (never-yeah)

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Popcyan posted:

Friend-of-a-friend just had a baby girl called 'Nevayah'.

Firstly, 'Neveah' was invented as a name because it was 'Heaven' spelled backwards, that's its only meaning. Misspelled it doesn't mean anything.

Secondly, the baby is English and 'Neva- yah' sounds like two english people having an argument (never-yeah)

I have a friend who named his dog that, and for the same reason.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

King Possum III posted:

When Prince Charles was born, Philip complained that he was the only man in the UK who couldn't give his children his name. Eventually, a consolation of sorts was arranged to soothe his feelings of irrelevance.

The name of the royal dynasty is still The House of Windsor, but it was declared that any descendants of Philip and the Queen who needed a last name would use the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. This looks good, but their sons all have titles of their own that are used as a last name, like Wales, York, and Wessex. Prince William can use his dukedom for a last name (Cambridge) and Prince Harry still uses his father's name (Wales) because he won't be given his dukedom (Sussex) until he marries.

When Princess Anne, their only daughter, signed the registry at her first wedding, she wrote "Anne Mountbatten-Windsor," but this is the only time I know of when this surname was used by anyone.

We need a British monarchy megathread so I can divulge all my theories about how Princess Anne is a hardcore lesbian dominatrix and also a mysterious superhero. Like Batman, if Batman wore a lot of Kim Jong Un-style outfits and large hats and looked extremely disapproving all the time.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

We need a British monarchy megathread so I can divulge all my theories about how Princess Anne is a hardcore lesbian dominatrix and also a mysterious superhero. Like Batman, if Batman wore a lot of Kim Jong Un-style outfits and large hats and looked extremely disapproving all the time.

You go ahead and start one, and I'll be the resident expert and fact-checker.

My credentials are 30+ years as a student of royal history.

I am happy to accept payment in either cash or hugs.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

King Possum III posted:

You go ahead and start one, and I'll be the resident expert and fact-checker.

My credentials are 30+ years as a student of royal history.

I am happy to accept payment in either cash or hugs.

I think we are going to be friends.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Phlegmish posted:

It's Michaël

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
From work: Jameson John Douglas Kiss Niss

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

genetic_knockout posted:

From work: Jameson John Douglas Kiss Niss

Oh! That's my name, too!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh! That's my name, too!

Whenever you go out, what do people always shout?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Whenever you go out, what do people always shout?

"Call the police!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh! That's my name, too!

I'm sitting here at my desk giggling and my coworkers are staring. Thanks a lot. :mad:

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think we are going to be friends.

Change the name back to Saxe-Coburg-Gotha y/n?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Trump has named RNC chairman Reince Priebus as his chief of staff.

Reince fuckin' Priebus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That guy from Discworld is a Republican?