Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Inquisition is an ok game crammed into a terrible one. I really, really don't want that for Mass Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Inquisition is a really quite ambitious and intriguing single player RPG, that for some reason Bioware built in the shell of a really bad MMO and then also the back half of the game forgets all the good stuff and it just gets worse and worse as it drags on for a thousand plus hours.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the plot is really blah so far

I hope it gets better

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Inquisition had some great stuff, a lot of good stuff and then some unecessary stuff. It's a shame that the unecessary stuff took the most time to do and wasn't very satisfying. Also the combat was an absolute slog after a while and it's still keeping me from playing the DLC. Mass Effect has always been more fun for me to play than Dragon Age so I'm not really worried about that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the combat in me1 is more interesting than in Inquisition

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Moola posted:

the combat in me1 is more interesting than in Inquisition

It's plodding if you don't quite understand the ins and outs of it, and just boring when you do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still can't be as bad as awesome button spamming in dragon age 2 where enemies literally fell out of the sky or spawned while invisible to backstab you for massive damage.

They really should have made the arishok the main antagonist in that game, he was the only person who realized what a dogshit story he was trapped in. Yes, let's just sit at the docks for nearly five years doing nothing hoping the person who stole the qunari qu'ran decides to return it, rather than burning this blood magic infested cesspool to the ground.

Mass effect 3 might be mediocre but dragon age 2 remains the nadir of bioware games. It is awful to play, it looks horrendous, there are maybe three good npcs in the game and the story is a disjointed mess of garbage.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 12, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
dragon age 2 gave me depression

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Moola posted:

dragon age 2 gave me depression

honestly inquestion did that to me more then 2. some off the characters are pretty good, but it felt way too wheadonish for its own good and the game god bogged down on the grinding aspect of the game. you had to gently caress around and do pointless busywork to unlock ANYTHING including personal quests. 2 is bad game, but they were only given a year and half to make it, and it clearly shows with all the bad stuff about it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
DA3 is a good game with some side stuff that's pretty boring but also quite optional.
Lmao if you think a game is ruined because you have the option of running around picking flowers for 30 hours instead of doing the good parts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DA2 was also released during the height of the "games as art!" furor, and bioware was riding high from mass effect 2's success, so the grumbling at the time and the screams of entitlement were a lot more pronounced than inquisition's release. It also didn't help that the writers for the game got caught up in that ugly harassment campaign by angry fans, or how poorly the bioware social forums handled the whole situation.

It's nowhere near the crazy that mass effect 3 elicited but you can't understate how nasty dragon age 2's debate got.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mymla posted:

DA3 is a good game with some side stuff that's pretty boring but also quite optional.
Lmao if you think a game is ruined because you have the option of running around picking flowers for 30 hours instead of doing the good parts.

No, really, it's a bad game:
-Optional sidequest stuff contributes jack poo poo to the story.
-2-3 relic hunting mechanics they have in the game to pad hours.
-Respawning locational monster groups that provide zero challenge after you've already cleared a zone.
-lovely camera mechanics in a 21st-century game.
-Retarded AI that outputs at half the DPS compared to the player,
-Time-locked war-table content unless you cheat.
-Vanilla-WoW style quest mechanics ("Fetch me 3 boar hides from three randomly spawning boars 20 feet from my door!")
-Grand Environments where you plod around for ten minutes just to find the next quest.
-Tactless Combat outside of Dragonfights. Just zerg poo poo and press buttanss!!

So far, DA:O has probably been the best balance of all the requirements for a good game with all its sequels failing in major ways.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Inquisition was pretty good but the Trespasser and Descent DLCs were better. I'm not really a big fan of the "open world" exploration type stuff I just get too distracted and forget what quest I'm doing and why and 2 hours later I log off with poo poo tons of elfroot I will never use and feeling like I have accomplished nothing. I mean I know you don't have to do the side stuff but I just can't help myself. At least Andromeda will have a new cooler Mako to drive around in while looking for alien poop to scan or whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Origins still has the standard bioware problem of "lovely final dungeon"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Dragon Age 2 was a bad game that was rushed out the door making it worse.

Mass Effect Andromeda from what we know seems like it will be a much better game.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
DA2 was a great concept I thought, executed like dogshit and rushed out the door on top of it.

DAI had lots of great ideas, a wonderful sense of exploration and scene-setting, and some really neat character development, and decided to fill it with menial garbage collecting and bullshit side quests. The thing I hated most though was that you only had access to a max of like seven or eight powers. I missed having a massive wheel with tons of options to string combos together :(

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I might be one of the few people who thought DA:O was kiiiind of poo poo. It had almost no character and was about as generic as things got. In terms of the setting DA:I felt like it did more interesting things with it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
All's I'm saying is the original, written motivation for the reapers was better than "we're space robots, and we're bad. Grrrr".

I hope we get better character development for the enemies in Andromeda than "Grrr! We're the Krogan/Vorcha/Batarian equivalent for this galaxy, and we war on others, GRRR" and a little more "Well I say dear chap, we aren't really fond of uncontrolled, unknown immigration of potentially-to-definitely-hostile third parties to establish permanent civilian and military bases within our territory, for the sole goal of reducing our territory, by force. Have a nuke, chums" "Also, watch out for the not-reapers"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I really want Andromeda to be a good game but it'll probably be standard Bioware fare, for better or worse. Multiplayer will redeem it completely just like ME3 if there's any justice in the world though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarkHorse posted:

DA2 was a great concept I thought, executed like dogshit and rushed out the door on top of it.

DAI had lots of great ideas, a wonderful sense of exploration and scene-setting, and some really neat character development, and decided to fill it with menial garbage collecting and bullshit side quests. The thing I hated most though was that you only had access to a max of like seven or eight powers. I missed having a massive wheel with tons of options to string combos together :(

this. i liked alot of the concepts in both but bioware just filled the game with dumb bullshit. i think the biggest issues is the witcher 3 came out soon after and blew it DA3 out of the water and made all the dumb decsions and sometimes sloppy writing show even more.

Levantine posted:

I really want Andromeda to be a good game but it'll probably be standard Bioware fare, for better or worse. Multiplayer will redeem it completely just like ME3 if there's any justice in the world though.

this.

my worry is that it will be like all the bioware games of the last few years. ok main story, with some great side quests and side characters mixed with some forgettable ones and one or two poo poo ones. the gameplay will be ok even good at points. the writing will be good but hamfisted as gently caress sometimes(example dorians quest which sucks because i like dorian alot) and probably a ton of filler poo poo to do that will be fun for a while but boring as gently caress soon after.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 1 good. DA:O okay. DA2 only legit crazy people like. Mass Effect 2 masterpiece. Mass Effect 3, very uneven. Great MP though. Inquisition good. Andromeda, all signs pointing to leaderless and no direction. I hope it at least has good multiplayer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

By the way, when I signed up for the beta and it asked me why I should be considered, I replied "because I've spent the last four years on the internet defending why Control was actually a brilliant ending to Mass Effect 3."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

I just remembered that DA:2 was so rushed and ill planned they even forgot to make a FemHawke option until the last minute. Which would have been a crying shame since Jo Wyatt is awesome.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Honestly I could never get into DA at all. I got Origins shortly after it came out, and couldn't even get past the intro zone/quest before the main story. I got a DA1&2 pack with all the DLC for super cheap, tried again thinking maybe it would be better on PC than PS3. Nah, still couldn't get past that first bit. I guess I chose the wrong race/origin combo or something because people say some are great and some are bad but gently caress that, I tried and DAO failed so whatever.

With that being said, I actually avoided Mass Effect for a while because holy poo poo, I must have beat KOTOR like five or six times and I expected ME to be more of that but with less lightsabers so I didn't have much interest. But Amazon had a ME1-3 pack for like $15 or something, so I bit the bullet and poo poo, ME1 was like the best thing ever. It was everything I've ever wanted from a Star Trek game.

Anyway that's my take on Bioware games and I have hope they can bring some of that ME1 magic back again. Building a whole new universe and all that stuff, all the (sometimes dumb as hell) lore to read and everything, I want it again.

Also hoping for Hanar squadmate, come on Bioware.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So is there a mass relay system already in place in the Andromeda galaxy or will it take several years between missions to get from place to place?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Skellybones posted:

So is there a mass relay system already in place in the Andromeda galaxy or will it take several years between missions to get from place to place?

The ships in mass effect already do faster than light travel. Mass Relays just make them go super fast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope the gay sex scenes in this are super explicit and make some people uncomfortable, I feel like we're about due for a new "video games are the devil" panic

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Skellybones posted:

I believe the implication for the human ark is that something causes it to be late or for the crew to wake later than the other arks. That lets the writers have the rest of the arks establish places to go and likely a mass relay network.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Okay so I was wrong, Adept in ME3 is Cool and Good now that I know how to do detonations against protected targets

Just got through Grissom Academy and the amount of physics objects flying around would earn grudging approval from Sir Isaac Newton

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Okay so I was wrong, Adept in ME3 is Cool and Good now that I know how to do detonations against protected targets

Just got through Grissom Academy and the amount of physics objects flying around would earn grudging approval from Sir Isaac Newton

Combos are the bread and butter of the biotic classes. Once you get those down you become a glowing blue hurricane of death.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I really liked the combat and skill building in DA2, and I guess I didn't have much of a problem with the game overall because it felt like a lower-budget fighting game first and foremost with some dumb story fluff. It was like playing a House of the Dead arcade game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Skellybones posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda: Battlecruiser

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

The ships in mass effect already do faster than light travel. Mass Relays just make them go super fast.

As I recall it's a sort of fuel/navigation hazard situation. Ship based FTL's are for travel within star clusters but mass relays are to travel from cluster to cluster. Between stars is relatively empty and safe but since a mass relay could very well connect to another one hundreds or thousands of light years away and there's no way to travel that far a distance without needing a large amount of fuel and/or not smash into a star. I think ships need to discharge their space static electricity every so often too?

Bartender Asari mentioned at one point that everyone should be developing their own mass relays so I want to say that the theory is known but building them, especially on the scale of the reaper-built relays, is just too much effort.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trast posted:

Combos are the bread and butter of the biotic classes. Once you get those down you become a glowing blue hurricane of death.

Yeah and now that I have Jarvik I can be a green-tinged hurricane of death, too

Jarvik, Garrus and I are gonna Renegade Broteam through ME3, it might take me a very long time but god damnit I'm going to do it this time

(e) Dr Bryson's lab is the start of one of the DLC, right?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 13, 2016

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

McGiggins posted:

I still prefer the ending the original writer was going for: The reapers are the good guys, you're the bad guys, organised organic civilisations utilising mass effect fields are hastening the entropic death of the universe by an appreciable amount (by machine standards). This is why the Reapers rebelled against their space-cuttlefish overlords and systematically cull the galaxy every now and then, as they respect a species right to have it's time in the sun and also be indexed, but also don't want their unlimited lifetimes cut down anymore than they have to be. Which is why they make new reapers out of the species they destroy, so the species they exterminate can continue to live on forever in some form, and not be forgotten.

TLDR; you a bad dude, space robots good, no two ways about it. Get over it nerds.

Where did you get this from? That's actually something I really like conceptually. I love when evil acts turn out to be benevolent acts that you're just inconvenienced yb and/or are part of the problem.

edit: Also, Re: Dragon Age Inquisition combat, they should have just copied Dragon's Dogma. DD has the most fun combat system and would have been better than worse-WoW they put in.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 13, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Khanstant posted:

Where did you get this from? That's actually something I really like conceptually. I love when evil acts turn out to be benevolent acts that you're just inconvenienced yb and/or are part of the problem.

I believe it came out of Weekes' posts after ME3, or maybe Karpyshyn between ME2 and ME3.

It's what Gianna Parasini's meeting in ME2 was related to, as well as Veetor's comments about dark energy and such, even Harbinger's perspective on Reapering as a form of religious transcendence.

It's an interesting idea, even if it is not wholly original (The Shivans from Freespace do the whole 'to destroy is to preserve' thing) but it is definitely cool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Still cooler than the Reaper story we got which was basically the same thing as Star Control 3, itself not a very good game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if resources are going to be a major point in the game. Even though Mass Effect fields are ubiquitous in the series, you still need to harvest your Eezo to keep making poo poo work.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thor-Stryker posted:

No, really, it's a bad game:
(1)-Optional sidequest stuff contributes jack poo poo to the story.
(2)-2-3 relic hunting mechanics they have in the game to pad hours.
(3)-Respawning locational monster groups that provide zero challenge after you've already cleared a zone.
(4)-lovely camera mechanics in a 21st-century game.
(5)-Retarded AI that outputs at half the DPS compared to the player,
(6)-Time-locked war-table content unless you cheat.
(7)-Vanilla-WoW style quest mechanics ("Fetch me 3 boar hides from three randomly spawning boars 20 feet from my door!")
(8)-Grand Environments where you plod around for ten minutes just to find the next quest.
(9)-Tactless Combat outside of Dragonfights. Just zerg poo poo and press buttanss!!

So far, DA:O has probably been the best balance of all the requirements for a good game with all its sequels failing in major ways.

You are right, the combat in Inquisition is not very interesting. The combat in ME2 and ME3 is so much better. But there's no reason to believe that Andromeda will inherit anything from bad DA combat, they will instead build on the successful ME games, so points 3, 4, 5 and 9 are already out. And as others have said, Bioware built a pretty good single player game in the shell of an MMO. Because they originally planned to make it an MMO! Before SWTOR and the like didn't fare as well as they thought. Just like Sims4 was planned to be an MMO. They scrapped the plans but had to work with at least some of the things they made so far. Which leads to lovely things like points 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9. They will likely/hopefully not make the same mistakes in Andromeda. The war table could have been a cool feature if it was a bit more meaningful and a lot more accessible (if not at will, then at least in all the Inquisition camps that you unlocked in the regions).

Apart from that, it had mostly great to okay characters (except for Sera), and the main story was good (main game) to amazing (Trespasser). ME3 character's lived from being good in ME1 or ME2, the new characters were a mixed bag. Javik was good, James was okay, and EDI would have been much better with another body. And it's antagonists were a lot more lame than Inquisition's antagonist. And of course, the overarching story was much better crafted than the giant fail of the ME3 story. So I hope they take the successful parts of Inquisition (mainly characters and narration) and combine them with the good parts of the previous ME games (combat, sci-fi setting, characters again), to make Andromeda great (again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If they are, I hope they finally get their minigame right.