Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry if this isn't exactly the right thread for this (if there's a better thread to ask this question could someone point me in the right direction?) Does anyone have good book recommendations on books with first hand accounts from the protest movements in the 60's in the U.S.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kanine posted:

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly the right thread for this (if there's a better thread to ask this question could someone point me in the right direction?) Does anyone have good book recommendations on books with first hand accounts from the protest movements in the 60's in the U.S.?

I think it's the right thread & I second that request. Is there like a Svetlana Alexievich, but Weathermen/Black Panthers/Nixon instead of Chernobyl/Chechnya/Soviet Russia?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kanine posted:

http://www.semantikon.com/StealThisBookbyAbbieHoffman.pdf

Not a bad place to start for an inside look at the counterculture.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Not entirely about the 60s/70s counterculture, but If anyone wants to read about protest movements, there's short(ish) documents which pretty much serve as an exploration of the beliefs of Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. that are good to read up on. I haven't read it, but Henry David Thoreau is the granddaddy of civil resistance and his seminal essay is "resistance to civil government", also titled "civil resistance", and he was pretty cool. Leo Tolstoy's "Letter to a Hindu" is also good to read.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The latest QI episode had some good stuff.

quote:

The most intriguing duel fought between women, and the sole one that featured exposed breasts, took place in August 1892 in Vauduz, the capitol of Liechtenstein, between Princess Pauline Metternich and the Countess Kielmannsegg. It has gone down in history as the first “emancipated duel” because all parties involved, including the principals and their seconds were female. Also, the confrontation was organized and presided over by the Baroness Lubinska, who had a degree in medicine (a rarity for a woman in those days) and was prepared to minister to any wounds incurred. Before the proceedings began, the baroness pointed out that many insignificant injuries in duels often became septic due to strips of clothing being driven into the wound by the point of a sword. To counter this danger she prudently suggested that both parties should fight stripped of any garments above the waist. Certainly, Baroness Lubinska was ahead of her time, taking an even more radical take on the (at the time) widely dismissed theories of British surgeon Joseph Lister, who in 1870 revolutionized surgical procedures with the introduction of antiseptic. With the precautions Baroness Lubinska recommended, the topless women duelists were less likely to suffer from an infection; indeed, it was a smart idea to fight semiclad. Given the practicality of the baroness’ suggestion and the “emancipated” nature of the duel, it was agreed that the women would disrobe—after all, there would be no men present to ogle them. For the women, the decision to unbutton the tops of their dresses was not sexual; it was simply a way of preventing a duel of first blood from becoming a duel to the death.

At the dueling ground on the fateful day, all formalities were carried out to the letter including an attempt at and refusal of reconciliation. The ladies engaged and, after a few trifling feints and thrusts, a wild slash from the princess brought about a light flow of blood from the countess’ nose. Seeing the injury she caused, the shocked princess, in a stereotypical feminine gesture, threw both hands up to her cheeks. Just then, the countess lunged and pierced the princess through her right forearm. The sight of the ensuing blood caused the respective seconds to faint. The footmen and coachmen, who had been ordered to stand some distance away with their backs toward the action, heard the cries and ran toward the women to render aid. Baroness Lubinska, however, decided the male servants had more salacious motives and attacked them with her umbrella, shouting, “Avert your eyes, avert your eyes—you lustful wretches!” The baroness was once again ahead of her time in sensing the necessary precautions. It was as if she already knew the gossip and speculation that would result from this premier example of what could have become a clothing–optional sport.

The rumors started just as soon as the Princess Metternich and Countess Kielmannsegg cast aside their weapons. Artists and storytellers speculated about the duel, most of their tales centering specifically on the scanty clothes the women wore. It is humorous that most recounts of this historic event fail to mention two important things: the winner of the duel (Princess Metternich) and the reason why the women came to arms in the first place—they disagreed over the floral arrangements for an upcoming musical exhibition. Bared breasts, apparently, overshadow such trivial details.
http://neveryetmelted.com/2016/05/24/famous-topless-female-duel-of-1892/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How much did the average woman know about dueling then? Was it a decent fight or lots of flailing around till they got hit? Either way that IS a fun fact.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm going to guess about as much as the average person knows about duelling and swordsmanship (both today and then) - sweet bugger all. You can't just pick up a sword and take over Mêlée Island™

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm going to guess about as much as the average person knows about duelling and swordsmanship (both today and then) - sweet bugger all. You can't just pick up a sword and take over Mêlée Island™

These were noble women, its is not a stretch to imagine them watching men duel. The article even mentioned that this was the first duel that was 100% women, implying that women participated in mixed gendered duels in the past.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I don't think you can pick up swordsmanship and duelling techniques just by watching it. Yes, you'll pick up certain ritualistic patterns, like where to stand and generally what the formulaic "wrapper" traditions are, but the core of it (the actual swordfighting) requires training and practice. Otherwise every fat neckbeard past the dialup age would be an expert in kung fu and sex

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Nov 12, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I don't think you can pick up swordsmanship and duelling techniques just by watching it. Yes, you'll pick up certain ritualistic patterns, like where to stand and generally what the formulaic "wrapper" traditions are, but the core of it (the actual swordfighting) requires training and practice. Otherwise every fat neckbeard past the dialup age would be an expert in kung fu and sex

Prove I'm not.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

my place, twenty minutes. you bring the nunchucks, i have the lube

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Liechtenstein in 1892 probably isn't going to be suffragette city but I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine that women of European noble houses may have pursued fencing as a "respectable" hobby (though of course I haven't the foggiest whether the combatants in this case did or not).

I enjoy the story of Edith Margaret Garrud, "the suffragette who knew jiu-jitsu". She and her husband were keen sportspeople, both began practising jiu-jitsu in 1899 and then in the 1910s, Garrud (who also choreographed fight scenes in pro-suffragette stage plays) began teaching self-defence classes to and training bodyguards for members of the British suffragette movement.

There's a very famous cartoon which features her:

She subsequently retired from public life, became an investor in real estate and died in 1971 at the age of 99.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fencing women were in the minority back then, but people like Col. Thomas Monstery did have female students, such as this lady known as Jaguarina.

As for the quality of the fencing, well, probably no better than this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rElNQuBvFeQ

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It's funny to think that the origins of fencing are in brutal sword fights to the death/incapacitation over rather banal things. By the 18th century, a fencing duel was only until one or both sides drew blood, after which the two parties were to kiss and make up.

Of course, where would American history be without it? As you're probably aware Alexander Hamilton was killed by a gunshot wound inflicted in a duel. You probably didn't know that he fought his last duel in same place as his firstborn son had, three years earlier.

Apparently the Hamiltons had a wretched run of luck with the dueling.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Lincoln's (almost)duel was awesome. He didn't want to fight it, so he set it up to be hopelessly unwinnable for his opponent so he would agree to back down.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/lincoln-hub/abraham-lincolns-duel.html

quote:

Since Lincoln was challenged by Shields he had the privilege of choosing the weapon of the duel.  He chose cavalry broadswords "of the largest size."  "I didn't want the d—-d fellow to kill me, which I think he would have done if we had selected pistols," he later explained.  For his own part, he did not want to kill Shields, but "felt sure [he] could disarm him" with a blade.   At six feet, four inches tall, Lincoln planned to use his height to his advantage against Shields, who stood at a mere five feet, nine inches tall.

The day of the duel, September 22, arrived and the combatants met at Bloody Island, Missouri to face death or victory.  As the two men faced each other, with a plank between them that neither was allowed to cross, Lincoln swung his sword high above Shields to cut through a nearby tree branch.  This act demonstrated the immensity of Lincoln’s reach and strength and was enough to show Shields that he was at a fatal disadvantage.  With the encouragement of bystanders, the two men called a truce. 

Height and size difference would be like Robert Downey Jr vs. The Rock.

I can't find the quote, but I remember reading him saying something like "I didn't want to fight him, but if it came to that I could have split him in two."

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

A White Guy posted:

It's funny to think that the origins of fencing are in brutal sword fights to the death/incapacitation over rather banal things. By the 18th century, a fencing duel was only until one or both sides drew blood, after which the two parties were to kiss and make up.

Of course, where would American history be without it? As you're probably aware Alexander Hamilton was killed by a gunshot wound inflicted in a duel. You probably didn't know that he fought his last duel in same place as his firstborn son had, three years earlier.

Apparently the Hamiltons had a wretched run of luck with the dueling.

That was a gun duel which is different than a sword duel, most of the time in a gun duel someone is going to die.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That was a gun duel which is different than a sword duel, most of the time in a gun duel someone is going to die.

Cowboy duels are the best duels IMHO. Draw.....punk :clint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNLFA-hce4k

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Fencing was promoted among upper class girls around the turn of the century as a good way to give them exercise that wouldn't involved running around doing boyish ballsports. Those dueling women probably had actually been trained in swordsmanship ~despite being women~. (Historical sexism isn't always the form we expect. See also: in medieval times they thought women were the disgustingly sexual ones who were obsessed with fuckin' and would pester the other gender to let cock-touching happen while men were the poor put-upon would-be chastelings!)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I hope they went out to hunt Draculas after the photo was taken. :allears:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

By Hamilton's time it was mostly bluster- merely showing up would prove that both sides were man enough to follow through, so they could then call a truce or fire symbolically, and both leave alive and with "honor" intact.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

vintagepurple posted:

By Hamilton's time it was mostly bluster- merely showing up would prove that both sides were man enough to follow through, so they could then call a truce or fire symbolically, and both leave alive and with "honor" intact.

And this was when "Men were Men"????

Pussies

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The "seconds" in a duel usually had the job of negotiating with each other to avoid having the duel actually happen -- this freed the principles of the duel from having to back down themselves and lose face (a formalized version of saying your wife won't let you go to the titty bar when it would be super unmanly to admit you just don't want to go)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Most disputes die and no-one shoots.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It was very, very common in gun duels for both parties to shoot at each other and intentionally aim away. Its surprisingly hard for the average person to kill another person, and even in those days, actually killing someone in a duel would make you a social pariah.Aaron Burr's career was destroyed by his victory over Hamilton.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Lincoln's (almost)duel was awesome. He didn't want to fight it, so he set it up to be hopelessly unwinnable for his opponent so he would agree to back down.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/lincoln-hub/abraham-lincolns-duel.html

Height and size difference would be like Robert Downey Jr vs. The Rock.

I can't find the quote, but I remember reading him saying something like "I didn't want to fight him, but if it came to that I could have split him in two."

https://awesometalks.wordpress.com/2008/06/05/did-you-know-part-5-abraham-lincoln/

quote:

The two headed back to Alton with their entourage where a crowd of anxious people awaited on the banks of the river to find out what had happened. Several people screamed and one woman fainted when they spotted a corpse in one of the boats. The “corpse” turned out to be a large log with a red shirt draped over it. Someone had set up the deception just to get a reaction out of the awaiting audience. This led both Lincoln and Shields to laugh hysterically at the “corpse” as well as at just how absurd the events of this day had been.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Since we're on the topic:

The last notable duel in America. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broderick%E2%80%93Terry_duel?wprov=sfla1

'Various accusations and counter-accusations followed, in one of which Broderick said:"I see that Terry has been abusing me. I now take back the remark I once made that he is the only honest judge in the Supreme Court. I was his friend when he was in need of friends, for which I am sorry. Had the vigilance committee disposed of him as they did of others, they would have done a righteous act."'

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Most disputes die and no-one shoots.

i see what you did there

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Nucken Futz posted:

And this was when "Men were Men"????

Pussies

"Real" duels to first blood are two guys trying to pole each other's hand, anyway. They don't look very manly either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

"Real" duels to first blood are two guys trying to pole each other's hand, anyway. They don't look very manly either.

If you want something a little more hardcore, there's always the german tradition of Mensur. Though the practice developed from regular dueling, it eventually matured into something of a sport, generally practiced among university students. Some fraternities even required all their members to take part, reasoning that it would build character.

It's similar to a fencing bout, but with a few differences. The two fencers would stand fairly close to each other with their swords raised high and weren't allowed to move backwards. They would wear protective clothing for their neck, arm, and torso, but the head was left entirely bare, except for a pair of protective goggles (Eventually. Those only became common sometime in the 19th century). The swords used are sharpened and potentially lethal, though they're fairly lightweight and only used with strikes, no thrusts.

The goal of a given bout was to land a decisive blow on your opponent, generally on the head or face, but the main thing that was judged was the fencers' conduct and skill. For example, trying to dodge by moving your head was frowned upon, as was being insufficiently aggressive. As you might imagine, hitting each other in the face with sharp blades often lead to significant wounds and scars. These scars were considered badges of honour for students, and at times people would even go so far as to cut up their own faces (or ask doctors to do so) to produce such scars, for the associated street cred (well, academia cred, actually :v:).

The practice actually endures to this day, though it has become drastically less common. Fraternities tend to be less prominent among students these days, and only a fraction of those still practices Mensur.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It's also a good signifier of the fraternity's politics: when it still does Mensur, it's a good bet that they're right-wing as gently caress whereas most (all?) moderate fraternities have done away with it for a long time. Catholic fraternities never allowed Mensur anyway, and they're the largest group amongst fraternities by far iirc

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Guess where Nazi commando Skorzeny went to school?

We really should have a photo of the ridiculously skimpy face masks too:

Uh, you don't need to get that looked at, Hans? :stare:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I am fine! It iz zimply veekness leeving ze body!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Back in the 19th century, some German students had to come up with alternative ways of proving their manliness, because the scars would be inconvenient if you became, say, a priest.

So they took up fencing foils, sharpened them and dueled with those instead. Because your sleeves would cover the scars, see. :stonklol: (It died out because someone finally conviced everyone that punctured lungs were not actually cool nor good.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

vintagepurple posted:

I did a tour with Jimmy Napoli, a Hamilton historian who's been studying and giving tours on the guy for long before the musical made him prominent, and he's of the opinion that Hamilton's behavior during the duel was suicidal:

* The duel was over a political matter rather than personal (Burr saw something like an editorial where a guy mentioned Hamilton dissing his politics at a dinner party, and Hamilton didn't outright deny it when Burr wrote to him asking what the gently caress), and Burr likely would have avoided dueling if Hamilton said that. I think one of Hamilton's writings on the matter even mentioned that he only viewed it as a political disagreement.

* When given the choice of where to stand, Hamilton chose a location where the rising sun would be in his eyes on the cliff.

* Hamilton engaged in somewhat suspicious behavior openly in front of Burr, like wearing his glasses (indicating a desire to take careful aim) and fiddling with his gun. I don't think he even gave Burr an appropriate greeting upon meeting him for the duel, which was very insulting. All behavior which served as a sign that Hamilton meant to kill.

* Reportedly, Hamilton was asked by his second if he wanted the hair trigger set on his pistol and replied "Not this time". This would have made his gun less accurate.

The circumstances of dueling (everyone turned their backs to have deniability) mean that nobody knows 100% what happened, but it's generally agreed upon that Hamilton fired first and missed Burr. Some have even said that Hamilton turned and fired before the tenth pace, resulting in Burr panicking and firing as he spun around. Either way, all of Hamilton's behavior and decisions up till that point suggest that, at the very least, had a death wish.

Which wouldn't be surprising. His Federalist party was on its last legs and would basically collapse within a decade, his political career was in shambles after his adultery scandal got out (to say nothing of how his marriage was probably doing), and his eldest son had died in a duel at the very same spot just a few years ago and accounts from the time period indicate that he fell into a deep depression over it. Suicidal behavior wouldn't be surprising.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

I did a tour with Jimmy Napoli, a Hamilton historian who's been studying and giving tours on the guy for long before the musical made him prominent, and he's of the opinion that Hamilton's behavior during the duel was suicidal:

* The duel was over a political matter rather than personal (Burr saw something like an editorial where a guy mentioned Hamilton dissing his politics at a dinner party, and Hamilton didn't outright deny it when Burr wrote to him asking what the gently caress), and Burr likely would have avoided dueling if Hamilton said that. I think one of Hamilton's writings on the matter even mentioned that he only viewed it as a political disagreement.

* When given the choice of where to stand, Hamilton chose a location where the rising sun would be in his eyes on the cliff.

* Hamilton engaged in somewhat suspicious behavior openly in front of Burr, like wearing his glasses (indicating a desire to take careful aim) and fiddling with his gun. I don't think he even gave Burr an appropriate greeting upon meeting him for the duel, which was very insulting. All behavior which served as a sign that Hamilton meant to kill.

* Reportedly, Hamilton was asked by his second if he wanted the hair trigger set on his pistol and replied "Not this time". This would have made his gun less accurate.

The circumstances of dueling (everyone turned their backs to have deniability) mean that nobody knows 100% what happened, but it's generally agreed upon that Hamilton fired first and missed Burr. Some have even said that Hamilton turned and fired before the tenth pace, resulting in Burr panicking and firing as he spun around. Either way, all of Hamilton's behavior and decisions up till that point suggest that, at the very least, had a death wish.

Which wouldn't be surprising. His Federalist party was on its last legs and would basically collapse within a decade, his political career was in shambles after his adultery scandal got out (to say nothing of how his marriage was probably doing), and his eldest son had died in a duel at the very same spot just a few years ago and accounts from the time period indicate that he fell into a deep depression over it. Suicidal behavior wouldn't be surprising.

There's also the (now-)famous story that Hamilton deliberately fired into the air, shall we say throwing away his shot. Afaik the custom at the time was to noticeably fire into the ground, signalling your bravery, upon which your opponent could do the same and both parties would walk away. Of course there's a competing account that says Burr fired first and Hamilton's shot was a reflex.

Hamilton is a fascinating figure and tbh I highly reccomend checking out the musical (which goons seem to have a hate-on for, for some reason), and the bio that inspired it, to anyone interested in american history.

Fun Hamilton facts:

He was ardently abolitionist
He spoke french natively, as his mom was a Huguenot, and probably spoke the best french of any founding father. He was buds with Lafayette for a reason
Washington, who was likely impotent, seems to have considered him a surrogate son
He was notoriously charming and popular with ladies (afaik not a rapist or womanizer, but being a rich 1700s dude he was probably not somone to admire in that department), and may have been getting some man action from his bff the antislavery activist John Laurens
--this led to him getting fleeced and disgraced by Mariah and John Reynolds, eventually
He had a weird pseudoromantic thing going with his sister-in-law Angelica Schuyler Church, and everyone involved was cool with it. In fact Angelica's husband Benjamin Church was one of his most erstwhile supporters and owned the dueling pistols that ended up killing both Alexander and his son.
He has the dubitable distinction of both being the most liberal founding father and founding the banking system that us modern liberal types despise
He gave a six hour speech at the Constitutional Convention about his own whacko plan for the US government that was promptly ignored by everyone- this may have been whole hearted or it may have been a ploy to make the Virginia Plan look good (basically Virginia proposed House-style proportional representation and Jersey proposed Senate-style one state one vote)
His fatal duel at Weehauken, NJ was at the same spot his son fatally dueled, and was a very popular dueling ground, being upstream from Manhattan (it is now urbanized but was forest at the time) and under Jersey's jurisdiction- Jersey was less likely to prosecute illegal duels. Some 50 known duels were fought there before 1850, plus however many between people we didn't bother recording.
Both NY and NJ indicted Aaron Burr for murder, but he hosed around the South and Europe for a while and charges we dropped.
The dude who owned the dueling ground was well aware of its reputation, and went on record as being sick and tired of rich NYC fops plinking at eachother on his land
He was a drat sperglord- Burr's initial complaint is fairly concise, Hamilton's response is a novella
Aaron Burr's own firstborn, Theodosia, also died before her father, either shipwrecked or via piracy. Hell Burr is fascinating and tragic in his own right- both Burr and Hamilton were officers at the Battle of Manhattan. Hamilton was commended for his actions there, while Burr, whose command saved Hamilton's own, went unnoticed. No wonder the dude was salty.

I'm trying to get the gf on board with naming our kids Philip Schuyler and Theodosia Burr

vintagepurple has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Nov 14, 2016

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

vintagepurple posted:

Hamilton is a fascinating figure and tbh I highly reccomend checking out the musical (which goons seem to have a hate-on for, for some reason), and the bio that inspired it, to anyone interested in american history.

Thanks for this post! I love the musical and have no idea why it's apparently generally disliked on SA (I didn't know this until now---do you know the common complaints?). I have yet to read the biography the musical is based on even though I own it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bean_shadow posted:

Thanks for this post! I love the musical and have no idea why it's apparently generally disliked on SA (I didn't know this until now---do you know the common complaints?).

It's because it's popular.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bean_shadow posted:

Thanks for this post! I love the musical and have no idea why it's apparently generally disliked on SA (I didn't know this until now---do you know the common complaints?). I have yet to read the biography the musical is based on even though I own it.

The rapping is extremely lame and bad and it thinks it gets a pass for whitewashing history because it has black people playing white characters. Also the female characters range from "suck" to "nonexistent."

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The rapping is extremely lame and bad and it thinks it gets a pass for whitewashing history because it has black people playing white characters. Also the female characters range from "suck" to "nonexistent."

otoh, it gets mega praise from actual famous rappers and the black actors that star in it have a fuckload of good commentary about America's sordid racial history.

That said I don't disagree, especially considering that every woman character is someone Hamilton fucks. But I don't think it's regressive enough to write off, and I maintain it's a wonderful piece of art. It's also not intended to be 100% good
cool rap- for example Jefferson, Burr, Lafayette, basically everyone is meant to sing in a different style to set them apart. Burr sings showtunes, Jeff sings jazz, Lafayette rhymes like a child, Hamilton raps like a total dweeb, and it's all intentional.

Goons hate on it in my experience bc the Clinton campaign latched onto it and bc Hamilton's politics were bad. The latter is definitely true if the man was running for office today but by his own time's awful standards I think he did a lot for us. The musical can be justly criticized but I think it holds up and presents a better view of pop american history than most things
do, and hopefully things get better moving forward.

For Hamilton fans, the PBS doco about it is also really good. Christopher Jackson, who played Washington, is filmed visiting Mount Vernon's slave "housing" and he verbalizes the simultaneous disgust and hope the american polity represents. Having been there myself the patriotism/disgust double whammy is hard to describe. Lin-Manuel Miranda, a latino-carribbean immigrant, and his passion for Hamilton, a french carribbean immigrant, are also tearjerking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It is a fine artistic work, but Alexander Hamilton was not an abolitionist and calling him one is disingenuous at best. It also makes Arron Burr out to be a huge piece of poo poo when he was no worse than Hamilton. Hamilton advocated for manumission, or the voluntary freeing of slaves by their masters, on the grounds that the property rights of the master trumped the personal rights of slaves to freedom. Manumission did not abolish the institution of slavery, nor did it imbue rights on those freed.

As much as people like to say that he didn't own slaves while the other founding fathers did, that's not quite true either. Whether or not he had personal slaves or not is disputed, but it is known that he certainly purchased slaves for other people. His membership in the New York Manumission Society was sporadic, and he did not vote for a proposal (by Arron Burr) to amend the bill that became the New York 1799 Gradual Emancipation Act to include abolition.

Jaramin has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Nov 15, 2016