Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

nachos posted:

I'm trying real hard not to think accelerationist thoughts but everything I'm reading about the incompetence of the Hillary campaign is stunning. Maybe it's better to take the L now and regroup for critical 2020 rather than the almost guaranteed wipeout 4 years after a Hillary presidency which would have been obstructed to hell and accomplished nothing anyway.

Trump is worse than Hillary on many many issues but on a macro level there is a silver lining of the Democratic Party waking the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

:allears:
I think it goes deeper than that Madame Secretary.

IMO the main reasons why she failed
-Failing to notice the anti-establishment mood of the country, how much of it was driven by things like income inequality
-Underperformed Obama especially in critical tipping point states like OH and FL
-Wasted time and money trying to run up the score in states like AZ/GA
-Campaign operated in a bubble due to a history of hiring blindly loyal washington insiders, she didn't consider criticism or alternative strategy
-No memorable messaging, her message was I'm just like Obama you loved him! I'm just like that!
-Treated Bernie very badly during the campaign such as directing Correct the Record PAC to attack him on things such as UHC and almost
on his health
-Very dishonest, dismissive and evasive as shown by things such as her private email server scandal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I know primary chat is discouraged but as a outsider I would like to point out this: remember when trump started praising Bernie and most democrats though it was a atempt to piss off clinton or steal Bernie voters? And went "oh he's praising Bernie he must be really afraid of Clinton".trump said "I don't agree with Bernie but at least he's honest"and then the whole lying,crooked Hilary thing started? I have a feeling that trump knew exactly what he was doing,polarizing the dem base. I think he knew his only chance was against Clinton, because if he went against Bernie,the underdog label would be on Bernie,the working class label would be on Bernie,the anti establishment label would be on Bernie and that would leave trump as ONLY the loudmouth racist misogynist rear end in a top hat. I'm bringing this up because I think behind the narcissism and ego theres a raw political instinct to trump,and if democrats are expecting his presidency to be a endless cavalcade of stupid mistakes they will be disappointed.

reading this thread as been uplifting. There's a bunch of people not woke,but awake.if you guys manage to clean up your house you should get in touch with the progressive left in the eu,because I think we can help each other out,in solidarity.there's a lot of people here looking at what happened in Nevada and taking notes.

Finally,ed.balls.

It's been good to read this post.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

nachos posted:

I'm trying real hard not to think accelerationist thoughts but everything I'm reading about the incompetence of the Hillary campaign is stunning. Maybe it's better to take the L now and regroup for critical 2020 rather than the almost guaranteed wipeout 4 years after a Hillary presidency which would have been obstructed to hell and accomplished nothing anyway.

I hate to break it to you, but this IS the wipeout - it's just in response to the failures of 2008-2010.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Re: That Hillary Clinton response.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

etalian posted:

IMO the main reasons why she failed
-Failing to notice the anti-establishment mood of the country, how much of it was driven by things like income inequality
-Underperformed Obama especially in critical tipping point states like OH and FL
-Wasted time and money trying to run up the score in states like AZ/GA
-Campaign operated in a bubble due to a history of hiring blindly loyal washington insiders, she didn't consider criticism or alternative strategy
-No memorable messaging, her message was I'm just like Obama you loved him! I'm just like that!
-Treated Bernie very badly during the campaign such as directing Correct the Record PAC to attack him on things such as UHC and almost
on his health
-Very dishonest, dismissive and evasive as shown by things such as her private email server scandal

:agreed:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
You know what fuckin' gets me?

This whole slapdash team of aides with no real vision, the contrasting and conflicting views of the candidate that they couldn't pin down, the general laziness and arrogance of her campaign? Fuckin' what happened last time. Her primary in 2008 was just like this.

How the gently caress did it happen again? How the gently caress did she let the same thing happen? Is she really just that bad of a politician? I think I know the answer, but holy poo poo how can you make the same type of mistakes twice!

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015
"The campaign raised $972 million, "of which 56 percent was generated by the people on this call."

gently caress me

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Well, can you imagine a future where a party might nominate someone party loyalists love but independents hate, costing them the general? That would be a huge mistake. Better to nominate someone independents are also willing to get behind, which is why a fairly run primary that gives them a voice is a strength.

Yep. Imagine if republicans were able to vote for Bernie in the Primary and he actually won? Wouldn't that be terrible!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Grondoth posted:

This whole slapdash team of aides with no real vision, the contrasting and conflicting views of the candidate that they couldn't pin down, the general laziness and arrogance of her campaign? Fuckin' what happened last time. Her primary in 2008 was just like this.

How the gently caress did it happen again? How the gently caress did she let the same thing happen? Is she really just that bad of a politician? I think I know the answer, but holy poo poo how can you make the same type of mistakes twice!

it turns out changing the staff doesn't matter if everyone is subjected to the same poison regardless~

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jaminjami posted:

"The campaign raised $972 million, "of which 56 percent was generated by the people on this call."

gently caress me

:lol: but also :cry:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grondoth posted:

As David Axelrod pointed out making the same bad mistakes in the 2016 Primary as in the 2008 primary sort of points to very bad leadership at the top of her campaign team.

Even with completely different staff she ended up making similar mistakes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People also keep pointing out the stupidity of THE RABBLE voters, but they voted in income inequality measures, cannabis legalization and voted for a Dem governor in WV despite voting for Trump. Nuts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

People also keep pointing out the stupidity of THE RABBLE voters, but they voted in income inequality measures, cannabis legalization and voted for a Dem governor in WV despite voting for Trump. Nuts.

Reminder that Bernie won the WV primary by 15 points due to his message resonating with west virginians

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wv/west_virginia_democratic_presidential_primary-5425.html

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

it turns out changing the staff doesn't matter if everyone is subjected to the same poison regardless~

etalian posted:

As David Axelrod pointed out making the same bad mistakes in the 2016 Primary as in the 2008 primary sort of points to very bad leadership at the top of her campaign team.

Even with completely different staff she ended up making similar mistakes

A REFORMER WITH RESULTS

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

etalian posted:

Reminder that Bernie won the WV primary by 15 points due to his message resonating with west virginians

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wv/west_virginia_democratic_presidential_primary-5425.html

iirc folks said this was due to old dems who didn't change party just wanting to gently caress with hillary

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

She also poached lots of staff from obama such as big data people and other consultants.

Still ended up losing, :sad:!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zikan posted:

lol Hillary's final mistake will be to get the Democratic Party so mad at her that they go "full communism now" out of spite for the Clinton era

Final gift, I think you mean.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

LmaoTheKid posted:

So are we just calling the reform movement Bernouts or what? Because it looks like it's kicking into gear.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/bernie-sanders-empire-strikes-back-231259

B-Party?
We figured out why Bernie lost the primary and Trump won his primary:

Ballcaps.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Powercrazy posted:

Yep. Imagine if republicans were able to vote for Bernie in the Primary and he actually won? Wouldn't that be terrible!

Has there been any study on whether party switching in order to gently caress with the other side's pick is actually a thing?

Because that seems like something that they're unlikely to care about and conspire to do in groups of 10,000 - 1,000,000 primary voters, but seems like something they would individually decide to do because they like the other side's candidate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

No one ever explained to working class America why immigration is good, economically.

Purity of Body and Soul means that you don't need a job anymore. Besides you can just move to The City.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh Snapple! posted:

iirc folks said this was due to old dems who didn't change party just wanting to gently caress with hillary

Exit polls had Bernie voters supporting Trump over Bernie in the general

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

Oh Snapple! posted:

Bernie wouldn't have won West Virginia in the general election. He might have won MI/WI/PA, but not West Virginia.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bill Maher is a bigoted piece of poo poo and I hope somebody slugs him on his show

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mrmcd posted:

Has there been any study on whether party switching in order to gently caress with the other side's pick is actually a thing?

Because that seems like something that they're unlikely to care about and conspire to do in groups of 10,000 - 1,000,000 primary voters, but seems like something they would individually decide to do because they like the other side's candidate.

There has been, it amounts to <1% of primary voters. Closed Primaries are specifically for disenfranchising voters and keeping as much power in the party as possible, so of course places like New York have them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The USPOL is hilarious seeing the Fishmech like D&D know it all smugness getting changed to panic, when it was obvious Trump would win.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
rustbelt_sneakattack.jpg

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/797490190621229056

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

gently caress me. Where was that article about the Clinton team blaming literally everyone and everything else except themselves for the loss?

bump_fn posted:

Trump is worse than Hillary on many many issues but on a macro level there is a silver lining of the Democratic Party waking the gently caress up

There's been a weird energy the last couple days on social media where liberals are loving pissed and fired up. It could be promising.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zikan posted:

more epic Clinton campaign failure

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/797492671631790084

im gonna get off the internet and smoke now

Surely this is just naked graft in order to disperse funds from the Victory Fund to well-connected supporters?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Grondoth posted:

Confrontational interventions are considered poor practice and not taught anymore. They make the helpee feel attacked and puts them on the defensive, making them unwilling to peruse intelligent solutions.

You have to empathize and understand the helpee's concerns before you can get anything done with them, and they have to feel you do before they'll consider what you say.

True.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Like, we all laughed at the Bundies and the Malheur Preserve occupiers - but they're motivated by legitimate concerns.

No

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Surely this is just naked graft in order to disperse funds from the Victory Fund to well-connected supporters?

Why run even a single ad in CA?

It doesn't make sense.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Grondoth posted:

Confrontational interventions are considered poor practice and not taught anymore. They make the helpee feel attacked and puts them on the defensive, making them unwilling to peruse intelligent solutions.

You have to empathize and understand the helpee's concerns before you can get anything done with them, and they have to feel you do before they'll consider what you say.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i saw ads in the loving NYC market for hillary.

which is notoriously expensive and did nothing for her because, well, its nyc.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

anime was right posted:

i saw adds for Hillary all the time in Chicago, look Hillary, this city will win you this state that whould of been as red as our neighbors. show adds there.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nonsense posted:

Bill Maher is a bigoted piece of poo poo and I hope somebody slugs him on his show

I remember when Seth Rogen was on and he was talking about how comedy has changed, like the part in revenge of the nerds where he tricks the girl into sleeping with him is hosed up. He was there to promote his movie with a bunch of rape jokes.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Thank you DWS for your successful 50 state strategy guide.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm the single ad buy in lubbock texas

I think a few ad-buys in various college towns within red states, are fine. No one is going to make too big a deal of spending like 1000 dollars to run an ad during a football game, and they shouldn't.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You are loving mental if you think rich land grabbing religious whacko's like the Bundies and Malheurs are people with legit concerns. These peoples encourage the murder of wild life preservation workers ffs. They destroyed native American artifacts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anime was right posted:

The whole Hillary election was just a scam way to make DNC consultants even richer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I'm glad the Hillary team is blaming everybody else. It just calcifies their irrelevance and makes it abundantly clear that we cannot afford them and their inability to see outside the circlejerk.

• Locked thread