Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A9N is the most depressing fight to do through duty finder. It usually takes twice as long as it does to do the savage version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I've wiped more than once in A9N since patch week.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Eopia posted:

So I'm pretty sure there's a way to turn off animations from attacks and such of non-party members but I haven't been able to find it, can someone point me towards it? I feel like it'll help a lo to be able to see anything during say Odin fate.

I don't want their animations gone, but if there's a way to tone down other party spell effects that would be nice. I figure half my tanking trash dance that I do is just trying to move to where I can see monster ground effect tells through all the flashing garbage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't want their animations gone, but if there's a way to tone down other party spell effects that would be nice. I figure half my tanking trash dance that I do is just trying to move to where I can see monster ground effect tells through all the flashing garbage.

Character configuration -> Control settings -> Character tab -> Battle Effects Settings

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
They really do need to hire a UI designer to just point out to them that poo poo like that is normally under graphics configurations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duty Finder A11N: Healers let DPS die to prey, then let other DPS die while they frantically try to rez, and it snowballs from there. Last healer alive pops LB3. Everyone congratulates the healers for saving the day and yells at the DPS for dying.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
A11N Prey is Bullshit to be fair. Also I've had other DPS kill each other with it more often than not.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Goon A11N isn't all that better... :v:

That gauntlet at the end is pretty brutal tbh. You have to know exactly what and when is coming if you hope to keep everyone alive. Raising dudes at that time should absolutely not be a priority though.

As a healer main that is poo poo at (but likes playing) BLM, I was completely baffled how easy that fight is as a BLM. I usually struggle to keep my dps decent because I don't BLM often enough and keep loving up enochian, but that fight is literally "stay still for 3/4ths of the fight, then maybe dodge a laser and aetherial behind a thing for wind propeller", where as healer it just keeps getting worse and worse after the fire goes out.

Also, yes, DPS often kill each other with prey. Dumbest thing is, I ran as PLD a few times and you can't cover it. Well, you can, but the dps still takes the damage, so it's basically worse than not.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Fister Roboto posted:

Character configuration -> Control settings -> Character tab -> Battle Effects Settings

...Control settings, are you kidding me? Whose bright idea was to put it under a completely unrelated category?

Speaking of A11N, when I was still running it before I got all the drops I wanted I would always make sure to pop LB2 on the second add, as that thing surviving long enough to use its tankbuster was the cause of most of the wipes I saw, it has even let me recover from only having the tank and myself alive at the time.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

My big problem with the last phase of A11N is that there's so much flashy crap going off, even with settings turned down, that I find it hard to parse what's going on. Gotten decent enough at not dying to it though, I guess.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A11S is ironically easier in that regard, because there aren't any AOE tells to distract you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Apart from prey, there's always only one mechanic at a time: Lasers go out and do one set of lines, then prey effect starts, now is a good time to cast shield/stoneskin. Lasers will go out again as soon as prey starts hitting so just dump a big heal right after your shield/stoneskin finishes casting, it'll hit at the correct time and, you won't be able to get another casted spell off until prey ends. I hope you have lustrate/tetragrammation ready. :v: After lasers it's the big or shiva optic sight aoes, then another lasers going out, but you shouldn't have issue avoiding those since you should already be running to hide from propeller wind, then the optic sight targeted circles which will kill everyone because a bunch of shitheads got confused and are now all stacked.

It'll always follow this pattern (unlike other phases that just randomly put in photon at times). Also confusion can be removed, if there's just 1 or two guys with it you can often save the run. As a healer it's even more important to not get confused due to this, imo.

The prey is annoying because it starts hitting just as lasers come out again, and you can't afford to get hit by even one, at least in i230 gear, so unless you have some instant heal off cooldown, at least one person is going to die. I guess AST is best for this since their shield casts instantly?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i am currently learning the last phase of 11s, and if anything i've gotten even worse at 11n somehow

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

What seems to wipe A11N most often for me is people tunnel visioning, forgetting the propeller wind around 20-30%, and then one or two people either die instantly from the damage or kill other people or just run into some other AOE and get ganked, and it's often one of the tanks, healers, or both, so it winds down pretty rapidly from there.

I swear I've had more successful pug attempts on Alexander itself than Cruise Chaser though. :psyduck:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It doesn't help when most healers will drop everything and hard cast a rez on the 800 dps ninja who's already on the brink of death, or the offtank when GA-100 is nowhere near. I think 9 times out of 10, a wipe could have been prevented by healers practicing good triage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's super easy to tunnel in there as a healer, yeah. I probably personally wiped more than 10 attempts first week by geting propeller'd

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A lot of healers also don't realize that you can cleanse the confuse from Propeller Wind.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of cluttered fights, this week I wiped my first attempt at A9S less than a minute in because I literally couldn't find my generator. Turned out someone was standing in the exact spot it dropped.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

I'm sure it would have blown me away if it hadn't been interrupted with "sorry bud, IL209 isn't good enough to finish this story."

e: To clarify, I don't object to level 60 instances requiring a certain IL; I object to the decision to put the check right in the middle of the climax.

Yeah, I definitely feel that could be at least mitigated by just having the iLevel check before you even start the chain of cutscenes that lead to it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Since there's basically nothing but automatic cutscenes between Sohr Khai and Final Steps, it is rather odd that they weren't given the same ilvl requirements (and tuned appropriately).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vil posted:

Since there's basically nothing but automatic cutscenes between Sohr Khai and Final Steps, it is rather odd that they weren't given the same ilvl requirements (and tuned appropriately).

Sohr Kai (potentially) gives you gear to get above the min ilvl for Final Steps.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

Apart from prey, there's always only one mechanic at a time: Lasers go out and do one set of lines, then prey effect starts, now is a good time to cast shield/stoneskin. Lasers will go out again as soon as prey starts hitting so just dump a big heal right after your shield/stoneskin finishes casting, it'll hit at the correct time and, you won't be able to get another casted spell off until prey ends. I hope you have lustrate/tetragrammation ready. :v: After lasers it's the big or shiva optic sight aoes, then another lasers going out, but you shouldn't have issue avoiding those since you should already be running to hide from propeller wind, then the optic sight targeted circles which will kill everyone because a bunch of shitheads got confused and are now all stacked.

It'll always follow this pattern (unlike other phases that just randomly put in photon at times). Also confusion can be removed, if there's just 1 or two guys with it you can often save the run. As a healer it's even more important to not get confused due to this, imo.

The prey is annoying because it starts hitting just as lasers come out again, and you can't afford to get hit by even one, at least in i230 gear, so unless you have some instant heal off cooldown, at least one person is going to die. I guess AST is best for this since their shield casts instantly?

The most annoying are the lasers that come out immediately after Optical Sights. Yellow lines under screen-filling yellow explosions can be hard to make out sometimes. :mad:

Wait no, most annoying are the preys that pug healers don't heal through and circles after propeller wind that get you killed because somebody got confused and charged at you. Forward and back.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
To be honest, if it's not a "good group" (as defined by the group having sufficient DPS to push past the first floor-plastering optical sight, and not having people go from 100-0 because they can't seem to stay alive) I find more success during gauntlet by "prioritize your own survival, stop healing other people entirely if you have to, healer LB3 everyone while you're hiding behind the thing for Propeller Wind".

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

vOv posted:

A lot of healers also don't realize that you can cleanse the confuse from Propeller Wind.

Are there actually any other instances of Confusion in the game that are cleansable, other than the "full HP cleanses" variety in Greg?

Just give us some way of telling if an effect is cleansable or not already. Especially paralysis since it's a 50/50 chance of which version it is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Saigyouji posted:

Are there actually any other instances of Confusion in the game that are cleansable, other than the "full HP cleanses" variety in Greg?

Just give us some way of telling if an effect is cleansable or not already. Especially paralysis since it's a 50/50 chance of which version it is.

It would be cool if debuffs had a lit up border or something if they were able to be cleansed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

Just let Selene find out for you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Saw something about a ps4 pro patch in December to raise the resolution lot boost performance idk. Would be cool

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Saw something about a ps4 pro patch in December to raise the resolution lot boost performance idk. Would be cool

Isnt that for ffxv? Ffxiv is incredibly cpu demanding and the new pro has a very small increase in cpu power.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ya whoops I'm an idiot but I swore it was in an xiv discussion I'll try to find it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'd be happy if they just fixed whatever the hell they did to destroy the framerate in Idyllshire on the current PS4. Even on tiny backwater servers during slow hours it can dip down to like 20 FPS.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A11 chat: they prey mechanic as a healer is really hard for a normal fight and will basically require adlo / stoneskin and lustrate / tetra. Even then there's been a few times where it's just too late to get those off.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hobbesmaster posted:

Sohr Kai (potentially) gives you gear to get above the min ilvl for Final Steps.

That's still poor design since there is nothing else between the two fights and "well they'll go grind for gear before the final battle" is an awful wall to throw up in front of your players for no rhyme or reason.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's still poor design since there is nothing else between the two fights and "well they'll go grind for gear before the final battle" is an awful wall to throw up in front of your players for no rhyme or reason.

The infuriating thing is that there's an ilvl wall for Sohr Kai too (200), and this issue would have been so easy to avoid by giving that dungeon and Final Steps the same ilvl requirement

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

seiferguy posted:

A11 chat: they prey mechanic as a healer is really hard for a normal fight and will basically require adlo / stoneskin and lustrate / tetra. Even then there's been a few times where it's just too late to get those off.

Really, it's the second set of lasers that come right when the prey is going out that make it frustrating, because 90% of the time, you'll be needing to move out of several of them instead of being able to line up a big heal while prey is ongoing, forcing you to rely on instant casts.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I stole this from the cute thread, but (Fatcat)(Found It!)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheRagamuffin posted:

I'm sure it would have blown me away if it hadn't been interrupted with "sorry bud, IL209 isn't good enough to finish this story."

e: To clarify, I don't object to level 60 instances requiring a certain IL; I object to the decision to put the check right in the middle of the climax.

Didn't think of that, yeah that's pretty dumb. It's silly to assume that people were overshooting the ilvl requirement for Sohr Khai by 10.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How does Monk gameplay compare to DRG at 60? I haven't leveled anything for a while and I'm eyeing my 50 DRG, but never put much time into MNK.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

nuru posted:

How does Monk gameplay compare to DRG at 60? I haven't leveled anything for a while and I'm eyeing my 50 DRG, but never put much time into MNK.

Do like pushing a million buttons to do the just a tiny bit better than an equivalent Dragoon or ninja? Then Monks the class for you.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Do like pushing a million buttons to do the just a tiny bit better than an equivalent Dragoon or ninja? Then Monks the class for you.

what monk has half the buttons of dragoon and does way more damage with so few buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Monk also doesn't have a secondary resource that you need to manage. It's easy to play and you top dps charts. It's the warrior of the dps classes.

• Locked thread