Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Like I said before, I think that racism acts as a signal for authenticity, a really really strong one too. "I'm willing to be so honest with you that I will say things that make everyone hate me!" And I think that perception of authenticity is so important that even people who don't favor the racism itself will go for the authentic candidate in spite of their racism.

So you run a nominally populist message with an authentic messenger sans racism and voila, you're going to pick up working class voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Wait for them to gently caress poo poo up so badly we can come back with a hope and change message that recovered some amount of the lost 2016 vote.

So the best case scenario is 8 years of new Obama, doing nothing, and waiting for Trump 2.0?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

chumbler:

This is the weakest insult I've ever seen. Step up your game, son. And vary it up, too. :cmon:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

gohmak posted:

According to Maher yesterday, democrats lost because of PC police and sticking up for Muslims. gently caress him.

Where did he say that??

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

gohmak posted:

According to Maher yesterday, democrats lost because of PC police and sticking up for Muslims. gently caress him.

it hasn't been a great couple of days for liberals :geno:

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Condiv posted:

oh i agree, liberals and white liberals are out of touch. look at this idiot for example

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984?ref_src=tw

I agree that this guy is a fuckhead, but Bernie's one of the big people pushing for Ellison, which would seem to be a great opportunity for us to embrace underrepresented minorities and an economically progressive message. I really hope he gets it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/yokoono/status/797187458505080834

speng31b
May 8, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

So the best case scenario is 8 years of new Obama, doing nothing, and waiting for Trump 2.0?

No, the best scenario is actually reordering the dem party so that the centrist thesis is blown away and we nominate actual leftists who run on a leftist platform. In 12 years with demographics etc even Hillary wouldn't have lost this election

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gohmak posted:

The entire episode was utter worthlessness. They had the nerve to actually say Trump tapped into the concerns of the people that the system was rigged against them. I wonder were I heard that from because Bernie Sanders name wasn't brought up once.

It's been rolling around in my head for a couple days but when I try thinking about the actual words it sounds so loving stupid but here goes: Democrats have a message problem more than a policy problem, whereas Republicans have a policy problem more than a message problem.

Republicans convinced rural working class folks that the mills all closed due to onerous regulations, taxes, and migrant workers and promised that cutting taxes, deregulating industry, and deportations would just cause fountains of money to erupt from the ground. Fountains of money from the ground sounds awesome, jobs coming back sounds awesome, those guys are in government they must know what the cause is, right? No, they lied, and any benefit got trapped at the 1% and never came back down.

Democrats explicitly want to throw bricks of money to poor people (including poor rural people) and use big chunks of federal money to bring actual heavy industry to areas it had abandoned - just different industries from the mills and poo poo that had been there before, by taxing the fuckers who'd stolen it in the first place. They chose to run on a platform of metropolitan social issues and failed to successfully talk about how the bricks of money policies would help the guy who's been working at mcdonald's for 10 years after the factory in town closed and the job that paid him 3x as much got shipped overseas.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

technocratic corporate CEO, the latter of which is exactly the sort of shithead who shipped away all the jobs in the rust belt.

This person beat Obama on the economy in exit polling.

Trump bragged about outsourcing jobs and stiffing contractors yet the rust belt still voted for him even though they thought Clinton was better on the economy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

No, the best scenario is actually reordering the dem party so that the centrist thesis is blown away and we nominate actual leftists who run on a leftist platform. In 12 years with demographics etc even Hillary wouldn't have lost this election

Yeah, but that is not a hope, hearts and minds strategy of making people vote Democat despite the party's flaws.

That's a "make poo poo work" strategy, and requires more than hoping for the other party to poo poo the bed. Aka my point for the entirety of the thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

This person beat Obama on the economy in exit polling.

Trump bragged about outsourcing jobs and stiffing contractors yet the rust belt still voted for him even though they thought Clinton was better on the economy.

Listen, if you are going to keep banging on this, at least learn how to do basic algebra and calculate what those favorable Hillary ratings add to. Hint, her "victory" on economic issues amounted to a statistical margin of error.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Suckthemonkey posted:

I agree that this guy is a fuckhead, but Bernie's one of the big people pushing for Ellison, which would seem to be a great opportunity for us to embrace underrepresented minorities and an economically progressive message. I really hope he gets it.

it's a great opportunity, I agree. so far bernie and warren seem to be making good choices wrt trying to reform the dems

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

speng31b posted:

Frankly, I think it's now much easier to do after the centrists took massive hit with this election.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

Listen, if you are going to keep banging on this, at least learn how to do basic algebra and calculate what those favorable Hillary ratings add to. Hint, her "victory" on economic issues amounted to a statistical margin of error.

So did trumps margin of victory in the swing states.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fishmech posted:

Not really. All a legit constitutional convention, like in the sense of "we're completely replacing the whole thing" needs is the consent of a majority of the economically powerful states. Because a brand new constitution is going to be enforced on its own terms, not through a pre-existing one. Much like how the current one was enforced without benefit of any ties to the Articles of Confederation. Once the new thing is in power, you'd maybe pass an amendment to the existing one saying "strike all this, refer to newconst 2.0" or whatever. But that would just be a formality.

The rules the original Convention used were hashed out over the course of the 2 year process, but were essentially based on existing rules used in Congress and the British Parliament. It would be much the same in a modern one - basic rules of order but no special rules. You're running the thing to create a whole new order after all.

If they actually replace the constitution, I'm getting the gently caress out of there ASAP.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JeffersonClay posted:

Of course. Thing is, Hillary didn't trounce Trump on economics. Half the population of swing states thought he was better than her. And since most people considered economy the most important factor, it was the pivotal area where Hillary ultimately lost despite getting a technical Pyrrhic victory. She wasn't able to pull ahead in her strongest area, and therefore she died the death of a thousand cuts by losing favorability in all the other, much smaller categories that would have been meaningless on their own.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

gohmak posted:

Get used to this. The window has shifted so far to the right you won't be able to believe it. Supporting equal rights and tolerance for Muslims is about to become an extreme-left minority position that no major political figures hold.

The new debate will be "gently caress over Muslims/Latinos and help the poor" vs. "gently caress over Muslims/Latinos AND the poor". Bernie is already making moves towards this position (although its more like "ignore the muslims and work with the racists")

speng31b
May 8, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, but that is not a hope, hearts and minds strategy of making people vote Democat despite the party's flaws.

That's a "make poo poo work" strategy, and requires more than hoping for the other party to poo poo the bed. Aka my point for the entirety of the thread.

Seems like a good strategy to me. It will let us nominate some good economic and social progressives, who will win. It's hard to predict what the Republicans will do with the state of things now but one thing's certain - between now and 2020 they will arm an actual progressive candidate with a loving arsenal of winning material.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

One thing I’m keeping in mind is that even if this had gone the other way, 2016 was only ever going to get us a continued check on the GOP and gradual, minor improvements through the courts and bureaucracy. A hypothetical Sanders Presidency, while I would have loved it, wouldn’t have changed our inability to actually enact law or overcome GOP sabotage through budget constraints. At worst, the GOP could have turned 2020 into a referendum on left-populism as a whole by pointing out that none of Sanders platform was ever enacted.

How do you tell people you’ll bring back jobs and improve healthcare when even at our most delusional the best we hoped for was razor-thin Senate control? All the while, the GOP would remain hungry in off-year elections so long as they can assign blame to a Democratic president. That actually scares me even more than where we are now. Imagine a 2020 defeat, with an even hollower Democratic party.

We have a chance to change that now. This is a nightmare scenario, but at least we’re being forced to grapple with our terrible weaknesses downballot. The Democrats may not be able directly obstruct the way the GOP has, but we can still fight the many local battles that are coming. We need to have a presence in support of every strike, loudly protest every attack on civil rights and utterly refuse to accept that the will of a minority of voters constitute the entirety of who we are as a country. I don’t know who we’ll end up rallying around, but there will be plenty of fights to figure that out.

I admit, I supported Hillary because I thought once in office she’d be able to hold the GOP in check and build on Obama’s admittedly flawed successes. I understand now that holding the line until the demographic cavalry solves our downballot problem for us was foolish. That’s on me, and I’m perfectly content with getting dressed down over it. The same is true for many of those who legitimately loved Hillary and are still reeling from this. This failure is on her and her circle, but her supporters in my experience are ready to follow the Sanders Bloc going forward.

My hope is that we can leverage the odd utility of being “outsiders” to finally regrow the party from the bottom up, and when the time comes, not repeat the mistakes of Obama’s first two years. I firmly believe this soul searching is what we need right now, and the apparent progressive revolution within the party can be the start of something great, so long as we don’t end up with our own Ted Cruz sabotaging us with purity tests.

A good friend of my family just lost his bid for the state legislature, and he’s already asking younger voters, and me, what he could have done differently (apart from running as Democrat in Indiana). It’s a start, and while the U.S. Senate races two years from now will be rough, there are a lot of other races beneath those where we can demonstrate a comeback.

Sorry for the wall of text. I guess I really just need something else to think about that isn’t conservatives banning taxes via constitutional convention.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Isn't that viral tweet about state legislatures wrong, though? IIRC there are a bunch of states on that map listed as red that actually have split chambers.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

And yes Keith Ellison would be a great choice for DNC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FAUXTON posted:

It's been rolling around in my head for a couple days but when I try thinking about the actual words it sounds so loving stupid but here goes: Democrats have a message problem more than a policy problem, whereas Republicans have a policy problem more than a message problem.

Republicans convinced rural working class folks that the mills all closed due to onerous regulations, taxes, and migrant workers and promised that cutting taxes, deregulating industry, and deportations would just cause fountains of money to erupt from the ground. Fountains of money from the ground sounds awesome, jobs coming back sounds awesome, those guys are in government they must know what the cause is, right? No, they lied, and any benefit got trapped at the 1% and never came back down.

Democrats explicitly want to throw bricks of money to poor people (including poor rural people) and use big chunks of federal money to bring actual heavy industry to areas it had abandoned - just different industries from the mills and poo poo that had been there before, by taxing the fuckers who'd stolen it in the first place. They chose to run on a platform of metropolitan social issues and failed to successfully talk about how the bricks of money policies would help the guy who's been working at mcdonald's for 10 years after the factory in town closed and the job that paid him 3x as much got shipped overseas.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that the proverbial "closed down mill" has been gone for 30-50 years at this point depending on area. They already didn't get the mill during George W Bush, they often also didn't get it back during George HW Bush or Reagan.

"The old mill" has been gone often for longer than the people in question had "the mill" actually up and running during their lives. It's had so much time to become the ideal past that nothing's ever going to replace it. Because nobody remembers things like "the mill actually only paid a lot of the workers barely above minimum wage, and that wage wasn't high then either" or "the mill's healthcare benefits were poor or nonexistent, but I was 22 then so it didn't matter". Often they don't choose to remember that "the old mill" of their town didn't even employ many people in the small town - a lot more were employed by stores and general small service businesses that relied on there being way more people in town back in the day.

The real problem is often that your small town really relied on having a bunch of small time family farms around, often before WWII, and as those gradually lost their ability to sustain people they moved away to the cities or suburbs in search of more typical jobs. And when your small town loses that surrounding amount of customers for local business (even if it's at franchise stores, that's still employment) a lot of that local business has to close for lack of customers. Then that means more of the smallholders can't/won't bother to stick around etc. "The old mill" might have been the last major employer in the town, but when the town was doing well it was far from the most important employer - and that's the real problem.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

speng31b posted:

Seems like a good strategy to me. It will let us nominate some good economic and social progressives, who will win. It's hard to predict what the Republicans will do with the state of things now but one thing's certain - between now and 2020 they will arm an actual progressive candidate with a loving arsenal of winning material.

Excuse me, but where will this "winning material" come from? We're living in a post-fact society and you know it. Breitbart isn't going to report on the horrorshow of upcoming abuses. How will the right-wing majority possibly know what to be upset about?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Bill Maher is 100% right, we need a nasty motherfucker next time. It's too bad the democrats cannibalized DWS and Weiner cannibailized himself by being a shithead because we haven't had anyone decent since then to combat the GOP. Now we just have Obama/Clinton style millennial nice guys and poo poo for brain drum circle folk. We're in a lot of trouble if the meanest person the Democrats have in the next few years is loving Michael Moore.

DWS wasn't thrown out because she was a big meanie, she was thrown out because she was an egotistical moron who would work against the DNC and its constituents if it meant she could hold on to power and publicity for one more second.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

the black husserl posted:

Get used to this. The window has shifted so far to the right you won't be able to believe it. Supporting equal rights and tolerance for Muslims is about to become an extreme-left minority position that no major political figures hold.

The new debate will be "gently caress over Muslims/Latinos and help the poor" vs. "gently caress over Muslims/Latinos AND the poor". Bernie is already making moves towards this position (although its more like "ignore the muslims and work with the racists")

Where is there any evidence that this is happening. I'm all for fighting against racism and backlash, but there has to be evidence of this.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

No, it hasn't and no, the conversation isn't about loving over minorities now. The wide response to Trump's election has been an embrace of populism AND anti-racism, aside from a few very loud morons.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

Where did he say that??

Oh his show. The whole episode is on youtube. I like Bill but he's definitely off on some things, like his obsession with Islam.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rexicon1 posted:

Where is there any evidence that this is happening. I'm all for fighting against racism and backlash, but there has to be evidence of this.

Do you need a scientific study conclusively proving racism is still a critical problem in the US or something?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bill maher has always been a huge islamophobe though

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

Yes, voters who stay home because they aren't energized should be sufficiently energized by the message of gently caress the plutocrats and make a living wage. If that being coupled with "and black people and immigrants get a living wage too" depresses anyone then gently caress them.

Considering they voted Obama. I think they can be convinced.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

How exactly is Bernie "making moves towards this position"? Last time I checked the man has thrown his weight behind a muslim as DNC chairman.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Who What Now posted:

Do you need a scientific study conclusively proving racism is still a critical problem in the US or something?

There's a big difference between "race is a huge issue in the US" and "anti-racism is now a fringe belief". The latter is loving hysterical.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

What the gently caress? There is no "margin of error" in actual election results. There is in polling. Apples and oranges.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

No, it hasn't and no, the conversation isn't about loving over minorities now. The wide response to Trump's election has been an embrace of populism AND anti-racism, aside from a few very loud morons.

Reminder that an election won't override population trends: http://www.pewforum.org/2016/05/12/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

Even the Republicans got more supportive of minority issues, and even if stuff gets rolled back, there will be a wide support for the next Democratic administration to reinstate the lost milestones.

More than a third of GOP sympathizers supports gay marriage. That's pretty much where the Dems were just 15 years ago.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/797531284784422913

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Oh his show. The whole episode is on youtube. I like Bill but he's definitely off on some things, like his obsession with Islam.

His insistence that arheists are oppressed and GMOs are unsafe is incredibly annoying as well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

disjoe posted:

DWS wasn't thrown out because she was a big meanie, she was thrown out because she was an egotistical moron who would work against the DNC and its constituents if it meant she could hold on to power and publicity for one more second.

Again, it's not about what she or Weiner did, but the strength they brought in their argumentation and not putting up with GOP poo poo. I was arguing in favor of democrats who call out the crap and don't get talked over. We don't have anyone like that anymore. Don't say Bernie because his 1% of the 1% of the 1% speech isn't it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I'm watching through it now and I haven't seen anything about it yet. I'll say it again: If there is anti-muslim anti-PC backlash among liberals I'll be the first one there to fight against it. But lets not waste energy on a problem that doesn't exist.

Who What Now posted:

Yep, wow you caught me, I'm OBVIOUSLY a racism denier.

e: Ok I got to the part where he said the stuff about Islam and PC stuff. Yea that's wrong. I don't like what he said. That said, there needs to be a tiny bit of self reflection on the issues affecting working class whites and the perceived notion that we aren't working towards helping them. The feeling of "racism against white people" is real and even if it can be absolutely repudiated with facts and discussion, there needs to be a way to make everyone feel included. I have no idea how to do it, but it needs to be addressed.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is why I have no faith in the Left's ability to react and learn the right lessons from this.

I have hundreds of people on this group on Facebook who live in Philadelphia and refused to vote because "voting is about making the best choice for the country and not the lesser of two evils."

Their reaction to losing PA by less than 1% is to agree that they were right to not vote and then to do this:

• Locked thread