Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drone posted:

So what's the best grognard game for simulating the coming nuclear hellfire?

http://www.power-and-revolution.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

How does it compare to Shadow President or Superpower 2?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it is a colossal nightmare clusterfuck that barely works

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Trump was running on a far more isolationist ticket, which I don't expect the republican hawks in congress to respect for a second, but I think that would be a far more interesting model to wargame. What if american power suddenly vanished from the middle east and we stop propping up militarily every far right movement around the globe?

It would be hilarious to see a black sea or shock force type game with the americans replaced with the chinese for example. Really curious to see how their boondoggles perform when actually called to do so.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Which of the CMANO DLC's is the best one?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Which of the CMANO DLC's is the best one?

I enjoy the Syria one: 'Old Grudges Never Die' though I do have difficulty actually playing it.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 9, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Is Commander : Great War worth getting? Any other WW1 games that are viable options?

I'm feeling the urge to get a new grog game and I've either got the good stuff, or am left with Tiller titles.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

C:tGW is really good. The AI is mediocre though, but it's still an enjoyable game.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
The game is great and I'd be happy to play as an opponent

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The game is great and I'd be happy to play as an opponent

Lemme get my feet wet and maybe we'll get a game rolling. I've got a weekend of video-gaming ahead of me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good scenarios in CMANO that are good for beginners?

I did a few of the tutorials but then I tried Black Tiger V and I have no idea whats going wrong

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
black tiger V is one of the hardest scenarios I've ever seen for command.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

black tiger V is one of the hardest scenarios I've ever seen for command.

Yeah so how do I deal with modern SAMs like the SA-21/22 they shoot all my TLAMs down and my planes too

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Yeah so how do I deal with modern SAMs like the SA-21/22 they shoot all my TLAMs down and my planes too

My solution to the conundrum was to avail myself of the trident missiles on the submarine parked down in the Indian Ocean.

Speaking of which what are some other scenarios that have nukes in the mix? Nuclear weapons are cool.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sneak up on it, OECM the gently caress outta it
send in massive strikes sea skimming (avoiding all the boats too, seeing 100 aircraft on a strike is something a civvie might call in...) and hit it as hard as you can. Want HARMs and AARGMs and oodles of decoys.
to do a low level attack you pretty much need to clear the sky, because aircraft can look down and see you

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gizmojumpjet posted:

My solution to the conundrum was to avail myself of the trident missiles on the submarine parked down in the Indian Ocean.

Speaking of which what are some other scenarios that have nukes in the mix? Nuclear weapons are cool.

:yeah:!

also right click on the trident... i think you can fire it like an EMP :q:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol I EMP'd my own fleet its such a huge blast omg

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the president tweets: :sad:

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

lol I EMP'd my own fleet its such a huge blast omg

You Maniac! You blew it up! Ah, drat you! God drat you to hell!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nukes make this scenario way too easy

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Phi230 posted:

nukes make this scenario way too easy

Now take a moment to read your expenditures report and realize what you've just done.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Davin Valkri posted:

Now take a moment to read your expenditures report and realize what you've just done.

dismantled Iranian IADs and neutralized their air force in 2 hours?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
best part was iranian planes getting EMPed and falling out of the sky

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

C:tGW is really good. The AI is mediocre though, but it's still an enjoyable game.

Is there really no way to change the screen resolution or put it into windowed mode? I seem to be stuck in 1024X768 land.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Speaking of nukes, making coilguns that fire 1kt nukes twice a second is my new favourite thing in CoaDE. Maybe it's not the most effective way of killing enemy ships but there's something about melting the engines off then pounding the ship till the internal temperature cooks the crew.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What game has the best nukes aside from TOAW

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What game has the best nukes aside from TOAW
All the best nukes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We really need a modern nuke game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does Sub Commander count? :v:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Stairmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTYWURHxLII

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That looks neat.

What's the horrific downside?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its kinda shallow.

Get it? Get it?!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Stairmaster posted:

Isn't that just DEFCON?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

That looks neat.

What's the horrific downside?

it never got fleshed out so its repetitive and not much to do

and it died so itll forever stay that way

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im irl working on a sort of copy of it in my spare time that will never get done so i don't even know why i mention it

I'm right now defining the body organs of the crewmen, trying to figure out how to model the gas exchange in the lungs to the blood. determining the surface area of the lungs for men and women of different body types / sizes /ages at different temperatures and 'airway conditions' (eg gas masks, fluid in the lungs, dew point, humidity) is actually complicated.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

im irl working on a sort of copy of it in my spare time that will never get done so i don't even know why i mention it

I'm right now defining the body organs of the crewmen, trying to figure out how to model the gas exchange in the lungs to the blood. determining the surface area of the lungs for men and women of different body types / sizes /ages at different temperatures and 'airway conditions' (eg gas masks, fluid in the lungs, dew point, humidity) is actually complicated.

ill pay you CMANO prices if you do DF level simulation of organs popping due to pressure change

actual revise, I'll pay Steel Beasts price

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Baloogan posted:

Can't you just borrow the code from CMANO?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really want nuclear reactor damage leading to radioactive steam and molten sodium being vented into crew compartments and then modelling damage control efforts. I really want to focus on what happens after a torpedo hits a sub and the crew is rushing around while the sub is uncontrollably sinking. Then crrsssrh, the sub bottoms out and the forward torpedo compartment is all that is left. The crew light oxygen candles and await rescue that never comes. After 4 days acute radiation sickness get em all, aside from those who's lungs were crisped by superheated steam who die due to asphyxiation at differing rates.

Damage control fascinates me, I worry for modern american ships with tiny crews, because a frickin fire in the galley could mission kill a ship.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Can't you just borrow the code from CMANO?

lol no. plus 100% of the fun is in the research and coding.

Right now I'm putting essentially a simulated pair of lungs in a simulated chamber and filling the chamber with molecular nitrogen at room temperature and then the election happened and I stopped playing with my stupid virtual lungs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

it never got fleshed out so its repetitive and not much to do

and it died so itll forever stay that way

It looks like it got updated back in august though?