Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

oh my god Timely is so good. i'm never going back to stock alarm again

Timely is great despite it's somewhat outdated aesthetic (but it has a certain charm to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

West SAAB Story posted:

I loved/hated Hangouts from v8 on. It was nice being able to group my SMS and G+ chats together. Welp.. Does anyone recommend anything that can once again do similar? Having ICQ/AIM/etc would be neat, but highly unnecessary in 2016.

It's not like hangouts is gone. It still works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I think he's bemoaning the loss of merged conversations and he's right, it sucks.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 227 days!)

GutBomb posted:

It sucks. I've begrudgingly started using Messenger.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've toyed with the idea of using FB Messenger as my sole messaging app now that it handles SMS

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Android Auto now works without a dedicated head unit.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/7/13542694/android-auto-comes-to-android-smartphones-without-dashboard-display

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Neat. I'll be trying this out this week. Anything to further replace the lovely MyFord Touch system I have.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

There is no way to make Android Auto use a navigation map other than Google Maps I take it?

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Incessant Excess posted:

There is no way to make Android Auto use a navigation map other than Google Maps I take it?

At Google IO they said that they're going to bring Waze to Android Auto. Thus far, though, nothing has happened. You're stuck with Google Maps for the time being.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tried it today - pretty nice. Need to remember to turn on my car as a trusted device so I don't have to PIN it on every time I want to look at something. Wish you could re-arrange the items under Audio so Podcast Addict isn't at the bottom. I also wish the delay on Bluetooth wasn't two seconds or more so I could say OK Google and have it pause playback. I might try getting things working under USB, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 8, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
ok Google apparently doesn't work at the moment which I noticed. Other than that I love it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How are you folks getting Android Auto to work on just your phone? I just downloaded it yesterday after reading the news, but it doesn't seem like it wants to work unless I connect it to an Android Auto-capable car. Am I just behind a version?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hooah posted:

How are you folks getting Android Auto to work on just your phone? I just downloaded it yesterday after reading the news, but it doesn't seem like it wants to work unless I connect it to an Android Auto-capable car. Am I just behind a version?

probably, grab an apk off apkmirror if no update is available

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Yeah, I installed it off the Play Store and it was a version behind. Just push the newest apk and you'll be golden.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just set up 2 step Google Authentication for my Nexus 5x. Two questions:

How do I get it to use the Authenticator App instead of getting the code via SMS?
What happens if I lose my phone and I want to log in to location services on another location to track down where my phone is?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
So I guess it's hard to natively have a Calendar widget show up on the lockscreen with the Lollipop. And it seems the workaround is to use some app to embed information in the notification, which can show up on the lockscreen. What's the best approach for this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Looten Plunder posted:

I just set up 2 step Google Authentication for my Nexus 5x. Two questions:

How do I get it to use the Authenticator App instead of getting the code via SMS?
What happens if I lose my phone and I want to log in to location services on another location to track down where my phone is?

It should have given you a QR code for you to scan with the Auth app. Maybe there is an option you have to turn on. It can't be tough to find; there aren't that many options on the 2FA page. As for losing your phone, when you turn on 2FA, it gives you an option to print backup codes to keep in a safe place. Each code is one-use only and will get you back into your account.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As for losing your phone, when you turn on 2FA, it gives you an option to print backup codes to keep in a safe place. Each code is one-use only and will get you back into your account.

You can also designate backup phone numbers to call/text. I added my parents' house number, so in the worst case (I lose my phone and am away from my backup codes), I can have someone over there get into my account for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

New SwiftKey update brings an incognito mode that prevents it from storing words for prediction/suggestion. Sweet! I like the black and red keyboard that it turns into when you enable it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wasn't it in this thread that people didn't believe that Spotify does weird PTP bullshit that ruins your stuff?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Wasn't it in this thread that people didn't believe that Spotify does weird PTP bullshit that ruins your stuff?

don't remember if it was this thread but it was me, I assumed he meant about the android app. that is unacceptable and I'm glad I've always used the web player on the computer because seriously what the gently caress

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

That doesn't affect Android though right?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's related to Chromium on the desktop because Chrome does hella disk writes all the time. I restarted yesterday to update it and it's already written 5GB of who knows what to profile storage. It's been happening for years too

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baka kaba posted:

That doesn't affect Android though right?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's related to Chromium on the desktop because Chrome does hella disk writes all the time. I restarted yesterday to update it and it's already written 5GB of who knows what to profile storage. It's been happening for years too

isn't this the same sort of thing people were bitching about with firefox where it actually turned out significantly less data writing actually happened on the drive?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I have no idea fishmech!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Has the Google Keep widget always trunctuated longer notes?

Either way, is it possible to disable than? I like to have my daily to do list in a single entry on the top and it would be better if I could see the full list without having to go all the way into the app each time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

fishmech posted:

isn't this the same sort of thing people were bitching about with firefox where it actually turned out significantly less data writing actually happened on the drive?

Not at all.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Been using nova launcher for a while now, any other good launchers to consider that are recent?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Megaspel posted:

Has the Google Keep widget always trunctuated longer notes?

Either way, is it possible to disable than? I like to have my daily to do list in a single entry on the top and it would be better if I could see the full list without having to go all the way into the app each time.

As far as I know it's always done it on the overview screen and I find it annoying too. I doubt there's a way to change the behavior.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Alternative pants posted:

Been using nova launcher for a while now, any other good launchers to consider that are recent?

I use Google Now/Pixel/Nova. Nova is very good and very customizable.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Alternative pants posted:

I like action launcher 3

e: if you have root or can install it as a system app it allows bringing up google now by swiping right on the leftmost screen as well

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Blue Train posted:

I like action launcher 3

e: if you have root or can install it as a system app it allows bringing up google now by swiping right on the leftmost screen as well

That seems like a function that should definitely definitely not require root or installing it as a system app.

Either that app is malicious or it's very badly written.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

They mean in the same way Google Launcher can do it, as it's own page you can swipe back and forward to. The only way for a launcher to do it is to be system.

It can fake it, with a swipe gesture but you can't swipe back.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

They mean in the same way Google Launcher can do it, as it's own page you can swipe back and forward to. The only way for a launcher to do it is to be system.

yea, this. its intended to allow you to mimic the pixel launcher while adding the ability to customize desktop and drawer grid sizes, hide apps from the app drawer, use icon packs or the google rounded icons, use the quick cuts (or whatever the swipe up gesture on the icons for shortcuts is called), etc

its good

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I really like Action Launcher 3, mainly because of the slide out app drawer.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

XIII posted:

I really like Action Launcher 3, mainly because of the slide out app drawer.

between swiping up to unlock, swiping up for the app drawer, and swiping up to answer calls, things finally seem fluid and unified. I really like it. I assume they'll change one of them soon :(

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Ah right, that makes sense. It's a bit annoying that you have to root android to do all the cool stuff. I suppose the alternative would be designing some insanely complicated and sparsely supported system for permission sharing between apps or something, or maybe Google could just make some api thing for google now specifically.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Are there any good lockscreen apps? Changing lockscreen wallpaper is really hard on Oneplus 3 and I'd like a better lock screen. All the apps in play store looked like scams though with ram optimizers and all kinds of other poo poo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ihmemies posted:

Are there any good lockscreen apps? Changing lockscreen wallpaper is really hard on Oneplus 3 and I'd like a better lock screen. All the apps in play store looked like scams though with ram optimizers and all kinds of other poo poo.

Why wouldn't you want to optimize your ram?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

ZUI and next are the main ones i see people use, the smart launcher guy makes two also just search for smart launcher and then click more apps from this developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ublock Origin + Firefox is blocking me from opening links. Anyone else running into this. It wasn't happening when I first installed it. on Marshmallow.