Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The new Outsider is the Penguin from Gotham. This would be ok, if he wasn't completely different from the old one and way inferior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the Arkham series' Nolan North Penguin, the bottle embedded in his eye socket was a visually interesting, if stupid, replacement for his monocle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Playing Serious Sam: The Second Encounter for the first time (not counting an aborted attempt a few years back). Given that I absolutely loved the First Encounter way back when, I was expecting to like this as well, but it's not quite the same so far. For one thing, there's way too much platforming for a Serious Sam game, and the traps can be annoying, too. Not that they're challenging, they just take long too navigate. What is this poo poo, just give me hordes of enemies.

I'm also turned off by some of the cartoony new enemies, like the guy with a hard hat and chainsaw that charges at you at breakneck speed. In retrospect, they were a precursor to the awful, gaudy art direction Serious Sam 2 had. Those annoying pseudo-smurfs in particular were enough for me to never finish that game. In a similar vein, I think I prefer the First Encounter's Egyptian aesthetic to the Mayan one that the Second Encounter has.

I'll admit some of it is nostalgia, it was never going to make me feel like I did playing the original Serious Sam for the first time. The graphics were really good at the time, too, by now they're obviously dated.

Taeke posted:

Earlier today I started playing Tyranny. I only had 30 mins, so basically enough for character creation, the prologue faction roleplaying thing and the first area, but it did remind me of an annoyance with those types of games:

Wait, Tyranny is out? I had no idea. Wishlisted.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up Heroes of Might and Magic 6, breezed through the tutorial, and started with the Necropolis campaign. The map went by pretty easily - I specced Anastasya as a Might hero, went Tears, and overran the map in a deluge of ghouls, ghosts, and skeletons, upgrading the ghouls and skeletons when I found sidequests that unlocked their upgrades. Lost a hundred or so ghouls and ghosts each fighting the Inquisitor boss guy at the end of the map, but hey losses are to be expected at the end of the map against that big an army, right?

Except that's not the end. You're then directed into a side area with the real final boss: a huge army of these incredibly irritating Glory things that do lots of extra damage against undead, are split into several stacks so they run a train for a few minutes every round whittling down my stack of 300 or so upgraded ghouls, and oh are immune to retaliation so every round is just "Kill 20-30 Glories with each attack of my ghoul stack, ghost stack, and skeleton stack, then watch for five minutes as the Glories eat a hundred or so units with no retaliation."

Holy poo poo this is unfun. Am I supposed to just sit back and not trigger this fight until I have a thousand-odd of every monster so I can take out these glowing naked ladies?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Isn't that pretty much the strategy in every HOMM game? I don't think I've ever played the game in any way other than deathballing the poo poo out of every encounter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RyokoTK posted:

Isn't that pretty much the strategy in every HOMM game? I don't think I've ever played the game in any way other than deathballing the poo poo out of every encounter.

HOMM6 included warnings in the tutorial that boss-style encounters scale to your army size. If this fight with the Glories does, then I have no clue how I'm supposed to win this fight. If it doesn't, then that's going to be an incredibly boring slog waiting week after week and running all over the map recruiting more minions.

Then again, maybe my fault for making Anastasya a ebon knight. She's by default a magic hero, which might make this a lot easier. My strategy throughout this first campaign mission (I'm on Easy since I'm a newcomer to the series) has been cast Rush on the ghouls if they can't reach something, Reinforcements if they can, have ghosts and ghouls move in, park skeletons in the back, use necromancy whenever it's charged up if anything needs to be resurrected, target priority: glories > sisters > knights > crossbowmen > spearmen.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The new Outsider is the Penguin from Gotham. This would be ok, if he wasn't completely different from the old one and way inferior.

I absolutely loved Dishonored 1's bored and disinterested Outsider, gave such a great spin on the trickster god idea. The new one is just raspy reverbed emo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Agreed, the unhurried, almost disinterested pace and tone of the old outsider combined with the fact that there's no obvious effects applied to his voice made him far more interesting. It's an uncanny valley sort of effect that goes away if you overdo it. I've been finding dishonored 2 a lot less subtle in general. So the new outsider of course has an obvious echo/reverb effect applied to his voice, particle effects everywhere, and a whale flying behind him.

The heart is maybe the worst so far. Dishonored 1 never really acknowledged what the heart is, which made it pretty creepy and disturbing. In dishonored 2 you are straight up told "it's your mom's heart!" right away, before loving ghost mom shows up to say sad things to you and your character says dumb poo poo like "you're here, but you're not here!"

She is voiced fairly well but I'm finding her way too chatty and a lot of her comments are extremely asinine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Once again a sequel fails to live up to its predecessor.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've only seen about ten minutes of footage of Dishonored 2 (mostly from the start of the game) but it seems like the voice acting is poor and the player characters never shut up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Phlegmish posted:

Playing Serious Sam: The Second Encounter for the first time (not counting an aborted attempt a few years back). Given that I absolutely loved the First Encounter way back when, I was expecting to like this as well, but it's not quite the same so far. For one thing, there's way too much platforming for a Serious Sam game, and the traps can be annoying, too. Not that they're challenging, they just take long too navigate. What is this poo poo, just give me hordes of enemies.

I'm also turned off by some of the cartoony new enemies, like the guy with a hard hat and chainsaw that charges at you at breakneck speed. In retrospect, they were a precursor to the awful, gaudy art direction Serious Sam 2 had. Those annoying pseudo-smurfs in particular were enough for me to never finish that game. In a similar vein, I think I prefer the First Encounter's Egyptian aesthetic to the Mayan one that the Second Encounter has.

I'll admit some of it is nostalgia, it was never going to make me feel like I did playing the original Serious Sam for the first time. The graphics were really good at the time, too, by now they're obviously dated.

If it helps, there's only a few Mayan levels. Then you travel to Babylon and Medieval Europe. The gimmicky trap rooms are kind of a bummer, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anybody praise the original Dishonored's writing, which makes the sudden outpouring of praise for it now that the sequel is out very strange to me. The setting, sure, but they squandered it on a generic plot with the least surprising twists possible, a broken morality system (Poisoning an entire district of people and destroying the only source of plague cure they have available to them? Totally fine! Defending yourself from literal zombies that are trying to claw your eyes out? MURDER!), and all the characters were shallow and uninteresting save for the awesomely sadistic and cruel stuff related to non-lethal executions they threw in at the last minute.

The DLC might be an improvement but I've never played it because as always Bethesda does that stupid thing where buying DLC for the game is always more expensive that buying the GOTY edition and I'm not going to buy the same game twice just because they're incompetent at best and actively manipulating sales figures at worst.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Dishonored 2 is better than the first in almost every way (and the first was a real tough act to follow) so I wouldn't use one complaint as your metric for judging it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I played through Shovel Knight sometime earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I decided to try playing as Plague Knight and wow, it is just amazingly bad.

Any time I land from a jump the character scoots forward pretty much an entire body length. The double jump is so ridiculously small you might as well just remove it and make the regular jump height slightly higher. When I charge up and do the explosion boost, if I don't touch left or right the character goes straight up and then has hardly any control horizontally. If I touch left or right when I release it, even when I'm at a complete standstill I go careening across the entire screen. If I throw a potion in midair, there's a small delay for the throwing animation where I don't have control over my movement and sort of float a little?

In a game as precision platforming oriented as this, I don't know how these controls are supposed to be manageable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anybody praise the original Dishonored's writing, which makes the sudden outpouring of praise for it now that the sequel is out very strange to me. The setting, sure, but they squandered it on a generic plot with the least surprising twists possible, a broken morality system (Poisoning an entire district of people and destroying the only source of plague cure they have available to them? Totally fine! Defending yourself from literal zombies that are trying to claw your eyes out? MURDER!),

What the gently caress are you on about, that's considered a very high chaos choice. The low chaos thing to do there is to tell granny rags to gently caress off and not do what she wants.

You are also conflating chaos with morality. There's a reason the system is called chaos and not morality--Very often the low chaos solution in each mission is vastly worse for the target than just killing them, particularly for campbell and boyle. The two concepts intersect a lot (obviously, not doing what granny rags wants in the first mission is the right thing to do) but they are not the same.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
HOMM6 continues to be frustrating as hell. Got tired of bashing my head against the final battle of the first Necropolis mission and I really don't want to sit around and wait for half an hour to amass a large enough army to brute force it, so I tried the Inferno campaign instead. An agreeably difficult but fair mission until the final battle, which definitely does scale to the size of the army you bring and also seems incredibly difficult even on Easy difficulty.

Either this game is designed to be incredibly difficult in specific places even on Easy, I just suck, or I'm missing some big things about how to build/run my hero and/or army.

And it's an Ubisoft game so no cheat codes or console to deal with any of the bullshit fights.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
HoMM6 is really terrible about that. Only one build will really 'work' for any of the faction protagonists, and it's not necessarily clear what until it's too late. The Necropolis actually really wants you to build their hero as a defensive healer, and use that sort of turtling approach in tandem with the Necromancy ability to ensure as few lasting deaths as possible. But that's only really made clear because of the second map, which is one entirely without cities. And to spec her for that if you hadn't already, you need to repeat the first map.

Also, don't make any of the protagonist heroes Blood, you get so much more benefits from going Tears you have no idea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

HoMM6 is really terrible about that. Only one build will really 'work' for any of the faction protagonists, and it's not necessarily clear what until it's too late. The Necropolis actually really wants you to build their hero as a defensive healer, and use that sort of turtling approach in tandem with the Necromancy ability to ensure as few lasting deaths as possible. But that's only really made clear because of the second map, which is one entirely without cities. And to spec her for that if you hadn't already, you need to repeat the first map.

Also, don't make any of the protagonist heroes Blood, you get so much more benefits from going Tears you have no idea.

I went tears on both characters - had Anastasya as a might hero, Kiril as magic. Currently working on the first Stronghold mission with Sandor as a magic hero going blood.

I'm not sure whether it's me just not being good at this game or the game being designed this way, but each map took me 3-4 hours to reach the bullshit final encounter. On easy difficulty, I was able to pull through on both maps up until what amounts to a boss fight at the end. I really don't want to replay either or both maps.

If this is what to expect from the rest of the game, then I don't think I'll bother. It's a shame, the game looks great, the strategy has been interesting and challenging (yeah I find easy difficulty challenging, bite me) outside of those spiked dildo encounters, and the characters have been charming enough. But these sudden super-hard fights that apparently I started screwing up before I even hit the "start campaign" button are no fun and ruin what's been an enjoyable game up to that point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Every time HOMM gets a new sequel I just go back and replay 3 because I know that is the only way I won't be disappointed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cythereal posted:

I went tears on both characters - had Anastasya as a might hero, Kiril as magic. Currently working on the first Stronghold mission with Sandor as a magic hero going blood.

I'm not sure whether it's me just not being good at this game or the game being designed this way, but each map took me 3-4 hours to reach the bullshit final encounter. On easy difficulty, I was able to pull through on both maps up until what amounts to a boss fight at the end. I really don't want to replay either or both maps.

If this is what to expect from the rest of the game, then I don't think I'll bother. It's a shame, the game looks great, the strategy has been interesting and challenging (yeah I find easy difficulty challenging, bite me) outside of those spiked dildo encounters, and the characters have been charming enough. But these sudden super-hard fights that apparently I started screwing up before I even hit the "start campaign" button are no fun and ruin what's been an enjoyable game up to that point.

Yeah, you'd think Sandor and the Stronghold would be best played as Blood, but even there the benefits from doing Tears things are just so much better.

I didn't get much further than you before getting just beat down and giving up; I think I got trough the second map for most of the campaigns, doing them all roughly concurrently.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I played through Shovel Knight sometime earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I decided to try playing as Plague Knight and wow, it is just amazingly bad.

Any time I land from a jump the character scoots forward pretty much an entire body length. The double jump is so ridiculously small you might as well just remove it and make the regular jump height slightly higher. When I charge up and do the explosion boost, if I don't touch left or right the character goes straight up and then has hardly any control horizontally. If I touch left or right when I release it, even when I'm at a complete standstill I go careening across the entire screen. If I throw a potion in midair, there's a small delay for the throwing animation where I don't have control over my movement and sort of float a little?

In a game as precision platforming oriented as this, I don't know how these controls are supposed to be manageable.

i had the same issue until i started using the controller with my hands, instead of flapping at it with my feet and knees

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, you'd think Sandor and the Stronghold would be best played as Blood, but even there the benefits from doing Tears things are just so much better.

I didn't get much further than you before getting just beat down and giving up; I think I got trough the second map for most of the campaigns, doing them all roughly concurrently.

That's a shame, I want to like this game. :( Would it have killed Ubisoft to put in a console so I could just cheat in a thousand dragons or whatever when a fight's gotten too much on my nerves?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

MiddleOne posted:

Every time HOMM gets a new sequel I just go back and replay 3 because I know that is the only way I won't be disappointed.

I wish HOMM3 was as charming as 2. It might be the better game, but HOMM2 feels so much more pleasant to play and is definitely my favourite of the series.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Dragon Age 2, I've finally reached the end of what I understand is Act 1. It's been about 1 hour of story, and then a 12-hour bukkake of side quests. It's like this game has the worst parts from Mass Effect 2. The main plot is an after thought, and it's filled out with busy work. Also not a fan of the dialogue choices that don't even closely match what your character says. I like learning about the Qunari - that was a good addition. But as far as I can tell, my motivations so far are 'to not be poor in Kirkwall' and to cross poo poo off my list.

My other big gripe is about the battles. The first was a tactical game requiring a lot of deliberate planning. This game, every battle follows a specific flow:
- enemies appear out of no where - 90% of the time, they arrive having flanked you, but...
- that doesn't really matter tactically, because the enemies are weak as hell 90% of the time, there's just 20 of them - positioning doesn't matter much, it's just numbers
- then after you beat the enemies, a 2nd wave of the same enemies arrives, again out of no where, so you can beat them just as easily.

It's repetitive and you can just faceroll your way through it, even on Hard. The first game was hard enough to feel cheap at times, but at least it engaged you - really made you explore your options and consider positioning.

TL;DR: I'm disappointed to learn DA:2 is every bit as disappointing as I've been led to believe - even after I was ready to be disappointed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's really just a shameless cash-in on the good faith generated by origins.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, it really feels that way. It's going to be a chore just to get to Inquisition.

To not waste a post: I can't equip my party members? And the game is still full of all the equipment I can't use. Just more to sort through. Bah.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I wanted to like the idea of DA2, that it was a big major city or whatever and changes were supposed to happen between big groups and how it's ruled or whatever and things, but then just none of that happened and it was a single pretty boring locale you were in forever.

Inquisition however is good and fun from what I've played on PS4, plus hey, I don't get railroaded into being a boring human in a setting full of neat fantasy races this time, when I was allowed to also be a dwarf duder in Origins, which you can add to another thing dragging DA2 down for me. If your game is set in some ye olde fantasy setting, please, please, please don't railroad me into being another dull human protag. Let me be an orc, a troll, an elf, a whatever just something more flavorful if I'm gonna be playing in some fantastical setting in the first place.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Nov 13, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i had the same issue until i started using the controller with my hands, instead of flapping at it with my feet and knees

Okay, I cut off my legs and now the controls are even worse, thanks a lot :mad:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Dishonored 2 is better than the first in almost every way (and the first was a real tough act to follow) so I wouldn't use one complaint as your metric for judging it.

If I'm not supposed to get my video game reviews from the PYF thing dragging this game down thread, where am I supposed to get them?!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Bioware is kind of bad at the whole RPG thing and it really tends to drag down what are genuinely interesting ideas and settings. Like DA:O and Mass Effect were really cool games but every sequel just kind of got shittier and shittier and it felt like they were more interested in filling them with fan made "Better Elf Companion" mods with enhanced sex scene mods and poo poo instead of making the story not lame. Which I guess is why Knights of the Old Republic is probably my favorite bioware game, because it was okay and then Obsidian did KOTOR 2 and while the game is janky as hell, it's way better instead of being way worse.

I guess what I'm saying is that Obsidian should have been in charge of dragon age and mass effect 2.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

It's really just a shameless cash-in on the good faith generated by origins.

It was pushed out the door by the publisher long before it was finished, if it was an Obsidian game people would still be singing its praises and deflecting every criticism leveled against it but since it's by a developer that's trendy to hate it gets no such benefit of the doubt.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

It was pushed out the door by the publisher long before it was finished, if it was an Obsidian game people would still be singing its praises and deflecting every criticism leveled against it but since it's by a developer that's trendy to hate it gets no such benefit of the doubt.

Yes, that is in fact how popular things tend to be reviewed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

No? Bioware were still plenty liked at the time, DA2 sank because it was really poorly done for the most part, get out with this dumb "hurr hurr goon bias" stuff I assume you're trying to drum up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Guy Mann posted:

Obsidian doesn't embark on a year-long marketing blitz where literally every developer involved with the game says the dumbest loving thing possible in relation to their game.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
With Obsidian rushed games you get a good game that's broken. With DA2 you get a bad game that might have been good if they didn't rush it. It's very different.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something that I am sure will drag Dishonored 2 down for me in the near future is that you have 2 characters (Corvo and Emily), and 2 ways to experience the game (low chaos/high chaos)... but 3 character save slots. Meaning you cannot do all four combinations without deleting a character save. :saddowns:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The game pretty much immediately after the tutorial level gives you a float option for your exploding jump, which makes things way better in that regard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

Something that I am sure will drag Dishonored 2 down for me in the near future is that you have 2 characters (Corvo and Emily), and 2 ways to experience the game (low chaos/high chaos)... but 3 character save slots. Meaning you cannot do all four combinations without deleting a character save. :saddowns:

What is it with modern games even having limited save slots? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

What is it with modern games even having limited save slots? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's especially strange because each character save slot has its own list of save-games, so they probably could have stuck in one more if it weren't for possibly some arcane file size limit of some kind or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

Yeah, it really feels that way. It's going to be a chore just to get to Inquisition.

To not waste a post: I can't equip my party members? And the game is still full of all the equipment I can't use. Just more to sort through. Bah.

Look forward to missing a permanent upgrade to their equipment in some time period you passed (because they get unceremoniously shorter as you go) and then running a hindered party around cursing the infinite waves of foes.

At least, on the plus side, if you're like me you can get pretty much everybody killed or murder them yourself which is as far as I'm concerned the canon story line.