Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

Berniebros tank election, smugly gloat about how its everybody but their fault. Glad ya'll could crucify my future as part of your tantrum.
Turns out white people are garbage no matter their political affiliation.

this sort of thing used to be considered racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh, the election was absolutely about economics. The economy was bad under the current president, so people voted for the opposition. Voters were reluctant to believe in anything the Dems put forward since they'd had eight years to fix the economy anyway, and the media didn't report on the candidates' economic policies except to talk about how wild and crazy Trump was to blame immigrants for the economic problems.

People who were most concerned about the economy broke for Clinton. There's a reason "economic anxiety" has become a grim loving joke.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't think this can be blamed as the main cause for the decreased turnout. It's just that combining it with candidate who didn't enthuse people enough to jump through hoops to get to vote made a large impact. If you can get 2008 Obama no amount of voter suppression is going to deny him a win.

Yeah, people hype voter suppression as the big definitive thing but it only really makes a difference when a race is really close. Most people who don't vote mostly do so by choice, not because they're turned away.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So I live in a solid blue state, Clinton won NJ by a solid margin. Our statehouse is blue, but Christie is getting the boot either by impeachment or his term expiring. I'm looking carefully to see who's going to run for Governor, I think whoever wins the election will be a Democrat.

I'm definitely going to campaign for the candidate that incorporates more left ideas. Could even be a challenger in 2020! I think people who live in blue states need to get out and campaign for leftists over Third Way/Blue Dogs, only way the tide shifts in our favor and the ideology begins to shift

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

fishmech posted:

Communism is an end state, something where incrementalism stops because you've reached your goal. But we're talking about communism because a guy was mad that Democrats are capitalist! Please, you should try to read threads sometime.

lol nope i read his post and you called him a communist out of the blue

you're just making poo poo up wrt incrementalism so you don't sound foolish

shameful fishmech. you truly are corncobbed :sad:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 13, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Condiv posted:

lol nope i read his post and you called him a communist out of the blue

Keep making things up all you want, that didn't happen.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't think this can be blamed as the main cause for the decreased turnout. It's just that combining it with candidate who didn't enthuse people enough to jump through hoops to get to vote made a large impact. If you can get 2008 Obama no amount of voter suppression is going to deny him a win.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sharkie posted:

People who were most concerned about the economy broke for Clinton. There's a reason "economic anxiety" has become a grim loving joke.

I meant this in more of a case as how people didn't trust Clinton at all in this election and that she actively failed to energize her base. She's was associated with a lot of baggage and policies that weren't popular among the democratic base.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reminder that Roy Cohn was literally Donald Trumps political mentor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...265c_story.html

Really want a source on that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

fishmech posted:

Keep making things up all you want, that didn't happen.

poor fishmech. died of his own pedantry :cry:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Scent of Worf posted:

Lots and lots of liberals saying the election wasn't about economics just pure racism/sexism.

I don't think liberals get what they're saying. If what they are saying is true then we might as well start getting ready for civil war part 2 or split the country into Ds/Rs because the country is going to stay divided.

Possibly. I think it's two separate but very closely related arguments.

People who are saying racism/sexism is the biggest factor are making an argument about why people would want to live in a Trump universe. This argument supposes (and I agree with this argument) that the Trump election was not a standard election. That Trump (and his supporters) are some of the most racist and sexist jerks since the 1800's. If you believe this - or even any number of similar but lesser claims, to be honest - than you have to actively discount Trump's rhetoric and the views of his most vile supporters (who are numerous) in order to want to live in a world where Trump is president. That's what they're saying. It's not, "Joe Average walked to the polls and pulled the lever that's labeled gently caress MINORITIES", at least not in most cases. It's the idea that someone who is willing to bargain on ideological purity (Bernie supporters) or self-interest (rural white voters) against the actual lives and welfare of minorities. That's the argument. That someone has to be at least passively racist to make a choice like that.

The other argument - the populist argument we keep hearing - is that these people aren't racists, and I think that, you know, for most of them this is true in an impersonal kind of way. They don't wake up and do racist yoga and give racist handshakes to their racist friends, or take a conference call from the KKK every Tuesday. But it's the willing belief that nah, Trump can't do that much harm, or nah, things can't be that bad for minorities, or nah, my life and my family are more important than the lives of others (and that last argument is probably the most sympathetic) - those are racist thoughts! That's the definition of modern racism. It's like we don't believe in racism unless it's got a flag and a hood and a band playing behind it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hollismason posted:

Reminder that Roy Cohn was literally Donald Trumps political mentor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...265c_story.html

Really want a source on that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-milwaukee-voter-id-law-20161112-story.html

Milwaukee itself saw a drop in at least 41k.

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-gops-attack-on-voting-rights-was-the-most-under-covered-story-of-2016/
https://www.thenation.com/article/wisconsin-is-systematically-failing-to-provide-the-photo-ids-required-to-vote-in-november/

quote:

For example, 27,000 votes currently separate Trump and Clinton in Wisconsin, where 300,000 registered voters, according to a federal court, lacked strict forms of voter ID. Voter turnout in Wisconsin was at its lowest levels in 20 years and decreased 13 percent in Milwaukee, where 70 percent of the state’s African-American population lives, according to Daniel Nichanian of the University of Chicago.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So what are the odds that the Republicans cannibalize themselves despite their hold on the House and Senate? I like to think that something like that will happen

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Sharkie posted:

Yeah, but there's the economy and then there's immigrants stealing your job and black folks getting SNAP benefits the economy.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

why would we ever need strict voter ID?

https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/796146374752534528

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Voter fraud is statistically irrelevant in nearly every loving election, so I'm glad you're happy that you stopped one guy from voting six times at the expense of not allowing hundreds of thousands of people to vote.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Or the alternative Wisconsin has been a red state for a decade and voter fraud was keeping it blue?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This is clearly just a joke. Anyone voting multiple times has their top secret Twitter for Liberals account to brag on, and the Soros Voting App clearly says that normies must not know of the plan or you don't get your 5+ vote bonus check.

Either that or he's just an amateur.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Carlosologist posted:

So what are the odds that the Republicans cannibalize themselves despite their hold on the House and Senate? I like to think that something like that will happen

hahahahahaha, no. Democrats fall apart, Republicans fall in line.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

I haven't been paying attention to that guy for years, has he just become a complete lunatic?

He always was. He always has been a poo poo head who hates on non whites and he always hates Muslims. Albeit with that its more like he can be open about that, but he wants Christians to also suffer. Also everyone Clinton never visited Wisconsin once.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mnoba posted:

Or the alternative Wisconsin has been a red state for a decade and voter fraud was keeping it blue?

I suppose that's one of the narratives in the fever swamp.

*EDIT* Whoops, quoted the wrong poster.

Monaghan posted:

Voter fraud is statistically irrelevant in nearly every loving election, so I'm glad you're happy that you stopped one guy from voting six times at the expense of not allowing hundreds of thousands of people to vote.

There was that story about that trump supporter that got hit with voting fraud when they tried to prove that it could be done.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/10/29/trump-supporter-charged-in-voter-fraud-case.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

hahahahahaha, no. Democrats fall apart, Republicans fall in line.

Maybe during Obama's first term, but the GOP establishment no longer has control over their party and things are just going to worse for them now that Trump is president and there's no longer a central figure like Obama for them to focus their hate towards.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/796041051274444800

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm a few pages behind, but man is it easy to make some demographic stereotypes about the people who post here. Many of the people groaning and loaning about the blue collar manufacturing base wanting jobs are making it clear they don't actually know anyone from that population.

Some of this is my own bias, but it's really easy to read this thread and some other threads here, and see SA (or D&D anyway) as a bunch of people who went to college and are in equal parts appalled and mocking that people who didn't go to college wanted to make good money, too.

People wanted to throw bricks through windows of the establishment. Bernie's message was, "here's a brick, throw it at the Wall Street billionaires who shut down your factory." Trump's message was, "here's a brick, throw it at migrant workers making less money than you do." Is it no loving surprise that when you pull out all the stops to defeat that left wing populist insurgent, that the right wing populist insurgent rises in popularity?

You guys are pretty much the same as Sarah Silverman telling the crowd that "you Bernie or bust folks are frankly being ridiculous." And folks nationwide who identified with that crowd, some of them went to Trump. And instead of blaming voters for not embracing your Wall Street abuela why don't you notice that the Democratic nominee was the choice of Wall Street elites over the Republican candidate for the first goddamn time since I've been alive? Ronald Reagan was an industry puppet even when he was an actor, and he spun that into a cozy relationship between business interests looking to gently caress over everyone and the Republican Party that has endured until this year.

How the gently caress did the the Democrats become the political choice of Goldman Sachs? Something went very, very wrong.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 13, 2016

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Monaghan posted:

maybe we should stand behind reasonable measures to ensure voter fraud, however seldom, is less likely to happen

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The general consensus seems to be that the odds are heavily stacked against the Dems in 2018. Do you think that Berniecrats who run as Dems or independents with an explicitly anti-establishment message have a better chance?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Irom posted:

maybe we should stand behind reasonable measures to ensure voter fraud, however seldom, is less likely to happen

define reasonable measures that are proportionate to the actual problem of voter fraud.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Irom posted:

"I'm just asking questions!" he cries as the mob readies the feathers and heats up the tar.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Sharkie posted:

People who were most concerned probably didn't have the luxury to vote on a workday, active suppression aside.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Irom posted:

You're right, let's enact a tax to ensure that everyone has federally issued ID for free and move to expand the voting window.

Further, if someone doesn't have a federal ID, they can obtain one at the time of their vote free of charge.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Monaghan posted:

define reasonable measures that are proportionate to the actual problem of voter fraud.

Presentation of a state photo ID

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

You're right, let's enact a tax to ensure that everyone has federally issued ID for free and move to expand the voting window.

Further, if someone doesn't have a federal ID, they can obtain one at the time of their vote free of charge.

They were free already http://www.bringitwisconsin.com/, but ya make voting day a national holiday would help.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Admiral Ray posted:

Perhaps some kind of test to accompany it.

Irom posted:

Are those handed out for free?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Irom posted:

If it's free, fine. But in most states it's not.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Ray posted:

I'd be fine to make it free. I don't agree with poll taxes, even though the argument paying for an ID to vote equates to a poll tax is a bit rich.

I mean, what % of people would honestly struggle to get a state photo ID? Probably fewer than the number of people who voted multiple times in states with lax voter ID laws

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mnoba posted:

They were free already http://www.bringitwisconsin.com/, but ya make voting day a national holiday would help.

The ID is free, but the time/effort to get the things required to get said ID is not.

Monaghan posted:

If it's free, fine. But in most states it's not.

Basically this.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/tegiminis/status/797586439605096448

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Irom posted:

I'd be fine to make it free. I don't agree with poll taxes, even though the argument paying for an ID to vote equates to a poll tax is a bit rich.

I mean, what % of people would honestly struggle to get a state photo ID? Probably fewer people than the number of people who voted multiple times in states with lax voter ID laws

Are we basing this off of actual reality or off of joke posts from Twitt-oh gently caress you got me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

I still can't loving believe this guy successfully ran as a Democrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I think we need to make life for white men a living hell until Trump is no longer president. Next time you see a white man, get in his face, tell him that he's about to hear the voice of the people he's oppressed, and scream as loud as you can. If white men are confronted by screaming POC, womxn, and LGBT+ at every turn, they will be forced to face our pain and reconsider their own oppressive behaviour.

• Locked thread