Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Onmi posted:

Tangentially related, one of the few reasons I'm glad that Renew Your Vows is its own universe is, barring another Secret Wars or Spider-Verse, Marvels endless crossover events will not touch it. The story wont be interrupted 7 issues in because Schlong Johnson has begun to turn everyone in the world into Pasties and Spidey needs to show up for the event even though he wont really do anything.

This is exactly why I'm not getting Ultimates 2 when it comes out. I played catchup on Ultimates after everyone was talking about it. But since I'm not reading Civil War 2, it makes it feel like you're reading every other issue of Ultimates. A lot happened outside Ultimates that is very important to Ultimates. And at the same time, Ultimates felt like they never finished any of their story arches. As good as it may be, there's no point in me going forward if I'm not going to bother with tie-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

X-O posted:

I know there's 49 more of these, but there won't be another one more perfect than this one.

So any other Avengers who are tied to specific states besides New York?
The only ones that come to mind are Nova (Arizona), Ms. Marvel (New Jersey), and Speedball (Pennsylvania). And to my knowledge, all three of them quit their respective Avengers teams.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
On the USAvengers first-issue-cover team alone you've got a Brazilian team leader, a woman from Norway, a woman from [whatever fictional nation Tony Stark's origin story took place], and Squirrel Girl has dual Canadian/American citizenship. Also the creative team is from England and Mexico.

It's kind of a strangely marketed book, actually.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Edge & Christian posted:

On the USAvengers first-issue-cover team alone you've got a Brazilian team leader, a woman from Norway, a woman from [whatever fictional nation Tony Stark's origin story took place], and Squirrel Girl has dual Canadian/American citizenship. Also the creative team is from England and Mexico.

It's kind of a strangely marketed book, actually.

I mean, Melting Pot of Culture and all that.

Onmi posted:

Tangentially related, one of the few reasons I'm glad that Renew Your Vows is its own universe is, barring another Secret Wars or Spider-Verse, Marvels endless crossover events will not touch it. The story wont be interrupted 7 issues in because Schlong Johnson has begun to turn everyone in the world into Pasties and Spidey needs to show up for the event even though he wont really do anything.

Agreed. Instead of some kinda "Road To MindWαrs: Society" extra story at the end we'll just get some more Earnest Adventures of Spider-Dad. Just all Spider-family all the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

yea that's always been annoying to me. I remember when I first started getting into comics, I only read spiderman and would be real confused sometimes because it seemed to skip around or refer to events I didn't know about because they weren't in the book I was reading

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I mean, Melting Pot of Culture and all that.
That was mostly in response to the "Marvel's so-called diversity movement is all Americans anyway" or whatever from the previous page, but I mean, Sunspot and Pod and Toni Ho are (to the best of my knowledge) not American citizens, nor are either of the two main creative team member.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Edge & Christian posted:

That was mostly in response to the "Marvel's so-called diversity movement is all Americans anyway" or whatever from the previous page, but I mean, Sunspot and Pod and Toni Ho are (to the best of my knowledge) not American citizens, nor are either of the two main creative team member.

Oh, alright then, yeah.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
As a card-carrying non-American I'm fully fine with Marvel focusing on American characters if it means they're going to be better characters. Diversity for diversity's sake is as much a crutch as it is impetus for positive change. I think the gender disparity in top heroes was the most important thing for to cover and they're gettin there with Kamala, Laura and Thor and (sort-of) Carol, as well as a bunch of fun minor characters like Gwenpool, Doreen, Mockingbird and the various Spider-Ladies.

I mean, Marvel's history of tying to create characters from where I come from has given us Banshee (who might actually be Scotish now that I think about it) and Bullseye that one time. I'm totally down with not having to read another Irish character that somebody thinks I'll get because he says "ye" instead of "you" and "talks loik dis at tree in da morning."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Maxwell Adams posted:

Might as well. Marvel's current diverse lineup is already completely American, why not rev it to 110%.

Well, I meant to reference the American Girl doll series, which the point is to show the diversity of Americas population.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I don't remember the details but I think two issues of GLC are just a massive goddamned mess. I think they retooled their entire plan for Sodam Yat and scrapped most of what they already had in the can.

I imagine Geoff Johns realised late in the game that it could result in a Green Lantern more important than Hal Jordan, which is obviously unacceptable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nilbop posted:

I mean, Marvel's history of tying to create characters from where I come from has given us Banshee (who might actually be Scotish now that I think about it)

No, he was Irish. I have an old interview with Claremont where he talked about how he was worried that early '80s Banshee was way too much of an Irish stereotype.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wanderer posted:

No, he was Irish. I have an old interview with Claremont where he talked about how he was worried that early '80s Banshee was way too much of an Irish stereotype.
Dude had a clay pipe, called Chuck "Perfesser," and his brother literally had shillelagh powers

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Nessus posted:

Dude had a clay pipe, called Chuck "Perfesser," and his brother literally had shillelagh powers

There was also a Family Keep. It seriously hit every stereotype.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shawn posted:

With attendant leprechauns.

No, really.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SilverSupernova posted:

So any other Avengers who are tied to specific states besides New York?
The only ones that come to mind are Nova (Arizona), Ms. Marvel (New Jersey), and Speedball (Pennsylvania). And to my knowledge, all three of them quit their respective Avengers teams.

You could just plop down various Hulks in Southwest states.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shawn posted:

I think they even retconned in his wife getting blown up by the IRA when she was visiting the north, presumably because they wanted some Irish stereotypes more relevant to the 1980s than the 1480s.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
My entire understanding of the Irish is based off of Banshee and WWE's Sheamus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Conor McGregor started using sonic screams I'd watch way more UFC.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
At least Banshee got to keep his accent when they put him in a movie. Moira Mactaggert, the Scottish biologist, was changed to an American CIA agent.

This has been a gripe of mine for a while.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Maxwell Adams posted:

At least Banshee got to keep his accent when they put him in a movie. Moira Mactaggert, the Scottish biologist, was changed to an American CIA agent.

This has been a gripe of mine for a while.

Played by an Australian no less.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I honestly couldn't tell what kind of accent the guy playing him in First Class had, the dude has a chronic case of the mumbles. See also that cool vampire film he did with Saoirse Ronan, my sense of disbelief wasn't broken by 200 year vampire ladies hiding in grim, seaside towns, it was that she could make any kind of connection with a dude incapable of speaking coherent sentences.

The only film/show that captures Ireland as I've experienced it was Father Ted. Having spent several summers at my nan's on the Mayo coast, that show felt like a gosh darn documentary.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

The only film/show that captures Ireland as I've experienced it was Father Ted. Having spent several summers at my nan's on the Mayo coast, that show felt like a gosh darn documentary.

Ever seen The Commitments?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Banshee had an accent in First Class?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Banshee had an accent in First Class?

He was clearly trying to do something with his voice.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Rhyno posted:

He was clearly trying to do something with his voice.

At least they didn't get it completely wrong. Like having Emma Frost with an American accent, and then following that up by having Jean Grey with a British accent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Adams posted:

At least they didn't get it completely wrong. Like having Emma Frost with an American accent, and then following that up by having Jean Grey with a British accent.

Emma frost is from Boston and only had a fake British

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So I have been slowly but surely plugging through the Ultimate Universe. Just hit Ultimate Nightmare which is good so far.

I hit the point where Ultimate X-Men starts getting bad. After Millar leaves, Bendis picks up and the book does get a little shaken, but Bendis rights the ship. Then BKV takes over and the book has gone off a cliff. Man it isn't good now.

Ultimate War was dumb.

I have also hit the point where USM is good. I felt that until the Sinister six arc the book was just ok. Now it is good and enjoyable. Poor Gwen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

And Sophie Turner's American accent was fine.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

bobkatt013 posted:

And you can basically flip a coin to see if any given writer will write her as posh British or New England old money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But that's the beauty of it. They're both fine, because she fakes it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is she even rich anymore. With all the times she was on the lam or that her house exploded, you'd think she'd be broke.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she had suitcases filled with money even while living in that old weapon x facility with edgelord cyclops, I'm sure she's doing fine

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think a telepath needs money often, and when they do it's easy to get.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
During Schism/Regenesis she mentioned that she liquidated most of her assets and spent it to fund Utopia since they didn't have Worthington money anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

You know she had the thickest imaginable Bostonian accent, but thousands in diction lessons, she's got what is normally called a Mid Atlantic accent, which is the accent rich women on the Simpsons tend to have.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

You know she had the thickest imaginable Bostonian accent, but thousands in diction lessons, she's got what is normally called a Mid Atlantic accent, which is the accent rich women on the Simpsons tend to have.

All I can think about now is the newsradio episode in which Jon Lovitz causes Maura Tierney to regain her Boston accent

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

Nah, Emma came from money. I'm betting she started out with the old-school Boston brahmin accent - which I think is fundamentally the same as the Mid Atlantic but I can't be arsed to check right now.

She didn't grow up in Southie or anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if Emma ever made one of her posh quips about "superior breeding" within earshot of Magneto.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's not consistent. There are also times when it's said it's British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Nah, Emma came from money. I'm betting she started out with the old-school Boston brahmin accent - which I think is fundamentally the same as the Mid Atlantic but I can't be arsed to check right now.

She didn't grow up in Southie or anything.

In at least one of her origins she's poor and homeless and uses her powers to change that.

• Locked thread