Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Basically now instead of hordes you need to EV train by chaining wild Pokemon calling for help using Adrenaline Orbs which are cheap as hell consumables. It's still slower than EV training in Gen 6 was but it's also not a full rollback to having to do it the Gen 5 and earlier way. Of course come January unless you need a Gen 7 exclusive egg move you'll be able to just train in those games and then transfer up.

...It just struck me how much it's going to suck when 3DS games can't go online anymore. Once the bank update goes live you'll be able to transfer stuff all the way up from Ruby and Sapphire to Sun and Moon if you have the hardware and feel like doing it. Soon as the 3DS stops being able to access bank that unbroken line gets shattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Supremezero posted:

Doesn't need Overheat, it has Leaf Storm. And it already has Dragon Pulse.

it does? bulbapedia is lying to me

e: oh ok it's a oras tutor move

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

I'd be fine with speed being randomised from 0.85 to 1x normal each turn like attack damage is.

this would be awful

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

it does? bulbapedia is lying to me

look again. it gets it from a move tutor in oras

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Did you change your 3DS clock? (And because of dalylight savings?) That causes the demo to punish you for doing so.

Yeah, I did some more searching and that seems to be it. Some people have said that the clock does start again, after a week. That is idiotic.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

just one more reason why daylight savings should go away

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sharrrk posted:

this would be awful

seriously lol

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is Wonder Trade still in?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ethiser posted:

Yes!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ethiser posted:

Like they'd ever be crazy enough to drop that now.

*nb4 next gen they drop it*

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Thank god, awesome feature.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Captain Fargle posted:

Of course come January unless you need a Gen 7 exclusive egg move you'll be able to just train in those games and then transfer up.

It depends. For battle tree and randoms? Yes. For actual competitive/ranked battles? No.

It's automatically going to be better than gen 5 at least due to exp-share letting you train multiple things at once still. Won't be as efficient as doing that with hordes, but it's not a huge step back so much as a compromise/trade-off with being able to see your trainer in battle and all of the throwing styles and other visual improvements.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

If its true that EV training has gone back to be really slow, I guess I'll have to raise less Pokémon at a time this time around and not breed and raise in batches :sigh:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy poo poo how did Team Skull make it into the actual game

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Festival Plaza has EV maxing drinks. This is a non issue.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Does alolan graveler still evolve via trade?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Does alolan graveler still evolve via trade?

Yes and there's even a trainer that will trade one for Haunter in game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Holy poo poo how did Team Skull make it into the actual game

i dont understand what youre saying

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dehry posted:

I don't know why they don't do this for all trade evolutions. Especially those that require items since there's no guarantee that online trades will give you what you want and not just steal the pokemon and ultra-rare item.

Similarly, they need to stop making evolution items so artificially rare. Just give us a regular store where we can buy them all about halfway through the game. Nobody likes waiting until near endgame for a Gallade, Gamefreak. Just like the type chart, it's not cute.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dehry posted:

Could you put in spoilers on which island that happens? I was really curious for an Alolan Golem but didn't like the idea of having to stop my playthrough at an arbitrary time when I decided Graveler needs to evolve.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Geostomp posted:

I don't know why they don't do this for all trade evolutions. Especially those that require items since there's no guarantee that online trades will give you what you want and not just steal the pokemon and ultra-rare item

For this, at least, the advent of the Friend Code and how stunningly easy it is to control who you trade with mitigates it. I know that being able to come onto the trading thread here and find someone willing to trade to evolve has made my pokemon life easier, at least.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Countblanc posted:

i dont understand what youre saying

I'm surprised that at no point in the development process for this game did anyone say "hey do you think maybe someone would think team skull comes off as a little racist"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm surprised that at no point in the development process for this game did anyone say "hey do you think maybe someone would think team skull comes off as a little racist"

the japanese arent terribly interested in that by and large, which is why there was a comment by the director that was basically like "we make them talk in slang and wear baggie clothes so people know they're evil"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm honestly not sure why trade evos still exist. gamefreak, put in more location-based evolutions

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Could you put in spoilers on which island that happens? I was really curious for an Alolan Golem but didn't like the idea of having to stop my playthrough at an arbitrary time when I decided Graveler needs to evolve.

It's pretty late in game. I want to say the 3rd island in a Pokemon center. It's very close to the Ghost trial.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Make a sinnoh porygon whose evolution requires us to say a password into the microphone during level-up.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Are there any fossil pokemon in this gen?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

rumble in the bunghole posted:

No new ones. You can pick between 4th and 5th gen fossils depending on the version, with Sun getting Carrocosta and Rampardos and Moon getting Archeops and Bastiodon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rumble in the bunghole posted:

None added for Alola but A Sinnoh and Unova fossil was available for purchase. Someone just handed me an Aerodactyl late game.

E:FB

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dehry posted:

The Festival Plaza has EV maxing drinks. This is a non issue.

quote:

Because there's so much loving retarded misinformation being spread around by complete faggots who haven't even played the games, I thought I should do us all a favor and explain how the new IV and EV training poo poo works and why it is BETTER THAN GEN 6 when fully understood and maximized.

The TL;DR: edition:

IVs:
>To Hyper Train, you need a Bottle Cap and a Pokemon at level 100
>There are two types of Bottle Caps, one which max out one stat and one which maxes out all stats
>Hyper Training doesn't actually set IVs to 31, it instead sets a flag that makes the game treat all IVs as 31, meaning that the ORIGINAL HIDDEN POWER IS KEPT
>In other words, a Hyper Trained Ditto is not a 31 IV Ditto and will use the old imperfect IVs when bred
>Bottle Caps can be obtained by trading Red/Blue/Green/Yellow Shards with a guy at the Festival Plaza. Shards can be obtained from the Pelago.
>"hurr durr no blissey bases how do I get to level 100" - Levels can be raised using most of the same features that raise EVs (Plaza, Pelago) described below

EVs - The Poke Pelago (PASSIVELY TRAIN EVS WHILE YOU SLEEP OR DO SOMETHING ELSE)
>At the third and final upgrade, Isle Evelup has 3 groups. Each group can have up to 6 Pokemon each and each group can focus on training one stat at a time.
>WITHOUT Poke Beans, each group gains 4 EVs every 30 minutes (8 EVs per hour or 31 and a half hours to max a stat).
>WITH Poke Beans, each group gains 4 EVs every 15 minutes (16 EVs per hour or 15 and a half hours to max a stat).
>You can set the precise interval you want to train if you want to reach a specific final EV.

(cont.)
>>
Anonymous 11/13/16(Sun)09:04:35 No.29864504▶>>29864556 >>29864623 >>29864808 >>29864866 >>29864927 >>29865296 >>29865692 >>29866463

EVs - The Festival Plaza (FREE, INSTANT EV MAXING)
>One of the booth types in the Plaza is a shop that sells EV boosting drinks (for Festival Coins - FC - basically Poke Miles). At the highest level, these shops sell drinks that can fully maximize a stat.
>The shops can sell multiple EV maxing drinks ("Max HP", "Max Def" etc.) but you can only buy each drink once a day per shop (meaning that you could buy both the HP and the Def drink in one day).
>You can have up to 7 booths in your Plaza, and they can be duplicates of one another. In other words, in the best case scenario, YOU CAN *INSTANTLY* MAXIMIZE EACH STAT UP TO 7 TIMES PER DAY
>"hurr but how do i get a good booth" - You can check what booths both random players and friends have and clone their booths to your plaza. In other words, if someone gets a good booth, it can spread like Pokerus. Just add someone from /wfg/ with it and its yours. Quick and easy.
>"hurr what if i only want 128 EVs" - There are medium and small size drinks as well in lower tier shops.

EVs - Wild Pokemon
>it just like how it worked in gen 5, except faster (but not as fast as hordes) because of Exp Share and the fact that wild pokemon can summon allies for quick grinding.

TL;DR of TL;DR:
You can max EVs while you don't even play the games, and you can also instantly max out EVs by buying drinks. It's faster than Gen 6, it just requires a bit of time to set up first. Stop spouting poo poo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay as much as I don't enjoy the addition of all the new hand-holding and cutscenes, SuMo has some great quality of life changes. Catching a pokemon with a full team gives you the option of sending one of your current team back to the box to sub in the one you just caught, and using the box is now super quick because it doesn't ask you whose PC you want to access and gives you access to all the store/withdraw/rearrange functions at once

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasted opportunity to have Alolan Kabuto and Omanyte

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dehry posted:

My dream team of handsome golem and beautiful muk lives on

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Team Skull is cool and also it's the clean nice looking folks that are actually the baddies

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The Japanese don't give a poo poo and hell I can't blame them

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

El Burbo posted:

Team Skull is cool and also it's the clean nice looking folks that are actually the baddies

theyre both bad

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So (endgame spoilers) is defending your title something you can keep doing or is it a story thing?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Team Skull is like if Team Rocket and Team Plasma were in the same game.

Also

El Burbo posted:

Team Skull is cool

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

So (endgame spoilers) is defending your title something you can keep doing or is it a story thing?

It's something you can keep doing. You fight a random trainer hoping to take your title after going through the Elite 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's something you can keep doing. You fight a random trainer hoping to take your title after going through the Elite 4.

Cool.

If you lose you should have to redo the elite four again, heh.