Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think it was meant to be years, they just didn't really give a good point of reference for the timeframe unfortunately. I get the feeling the idea was to show him progressing inhumanly quickly in magical studies relative to anyone else, it's just they ended up making it look even more ridiculously fast in editing.

I got the feeling (specific movie stuff) that before the Sling Ring stuff, it was meant to be a long period of time that he was training, and failing. Once he got the Sling Ring to work, he progressed much faster. Though there wasn't anything really indicating time passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rough Lobster posted:

Carol doesn't have to be a full bird Colonel at the start of the movie. I'm sure being a super hero will carry some promotion points.

It should be like being a Jedi. Insta General.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reports are now saying that the previously announced Harley Quinn solo movie is actually going to be Birds of Prey. They haven't really cast anybody else yet so who knows what the lineup is going to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

3 is a lot of characters to introduce sight unseen.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Suicide Squad had like 10.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

IUG posted:

Suicide Squad had like 10.

You're not helping the argument

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Iron Man has like fifteen characters, SIGHT UNSEEN

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And takes 3 movies to finish establishing one of them.

However successful at it you think Suicide Squad was, the point there was that none of them had any real motivations because they were being forced to do it. So they didn't need origin stories (except Harley.)

I don't think that approach works for a hero team. So I'd expect the movie to be like 90% 3 different origin stories.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 12, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

3 is a lot of characters to introduce sight unseen.

Only comic book fans say this. Movies do it all the time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Only comic book fans say this. Movies do it all the time.

Seriously, this is a really dumb argument.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Strange literally just came out and had a main character team of Strange, Mordo and Wong. You can argue that Wong was underdeveloped a bit (which is fair) but it alone is an example of a comic movie with a bunch of new characters

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I get where it comes from, though. You see a movie and character Joe shows up. He's a truck driver, he gets a few laughs, but ultimately he's a side character who doesn't feature heavily in the film.

You see a comic book movie. You're a fan of the comics. Joe shows up. Fuckin' yes! I've waited years to see Joe on the big screen. Ok so they have to nail his humour, and they better show his dark edge that comes out when he's stressed, and we need to see his secret cash reserves he's been using to anonymously fund the hero, but they better get his origin right and properly honour that scene when Joe and the hero first meet, and oh if you have Joe then obviously Freddy has to be in it, too...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. Strange is really bad at developing Mordo. That's a terrible example.

Lobok posted:

I get where it comes from, though. You see a movie and character Joe shows up. He's a truck driver, he gets a few laughs, but ultimately he's a side character who doesn't feature heavily in the film.

You see a comic book movie. You're a fan of the comics. Joe shows up. Fuckin' yes! I've waited years to see Joe on the big screen. Ok so they have to nail his humour, and they better show his dark edge that comes out when he's stressed, and we need to see his secret cash reserves he's been using to anonymously fund the hero, but they better get his origin right and properly honour that scene when Joe and the hero first meet, and oh if you have Joe then obviously Freddy has to be in it, too...

No I just don't think DC, who are trying to make franchises not just movies, can pull it off while also making it a Harley movie.

Even when they decided to say screw it, everyone knows who Batman is they still put in the parents.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 12, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Dr. Strange literally just came out and had a main character team of Strange, Mordo and Wong. You can argue that Wong was underdeveloped a bit (which is fair) but it alone is an example of a comic movie with a bunch of new characters

I would have said it was Strange, Mordo and the Ancient One for most of it. :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You think they're just using the name because it sounds cool, but it's going to be more of a Gotham City Sirens movie if it's going to be Harley centric film.

Okay, there's way too much speculating about Marvel and Fox working out some deal akin to the Sony one with Spider-Man, is there any actual evidence or are people just having really, really wishful thinking?

If they did, I'd hope they wouldn't just stick to the classic, either the Kirby Team or the Claremont team. You'll have to have Professer X, Scott, Ororo and Logan, because they're the core of X-men, but i'd rather if they looked at the ones who are prominent in comics or were underused in the Fox films

This actually has some decent ideas, I really like the idea of Alice Eve as Emma Frost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivo9wInASO0

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alice Eve was cast as Emma for First Class but they never worked out the contract and she left.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What have the numbers been on Dr Strange, I don't remember anyone posting anything about it yet.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Soonmot posted:

What have the numbers been on Dr Strange, I don't remember anyone posting anything about it yet.

Really good. It opened at around $85 million and should be over 150m domestic by the time the weekend is over. It's going over $200 million domestic and probably over $600 million world wide as well, it's at about $365 million WW now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Doctor Strange outperformed opening weekend estimates by about $10M and is on track to have a great drop for a superhero film, somewhere in the neighborhood of 50%, going on Friday estimates. Plus it's done really well overseas so far.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

50% is actually not bad for those kinds of films

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

50% is actually not bad for those kinds of films

I think he meant "great drop" as in the performance after the first week (second weekend) drop is great. A drop of only 50% is much better than average.

BvS notoriously had a very bad second week drop of around 74%.

Civil War had a second week drop of 58% and still went on to make $1.13 billion dollars.

A drop in the low 60's is an average drop off for these type of movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Yeah Doctor Strange outperformed opening weekend estimates by about $10M and is on track to have a great drop for a superhero film, somewhere in the neighborhood of 50%, going on Friday estimates. Plus it's done really well overseas so far.

They did some weird polling and in a surprise to absolutely no one, the film is tracking very well with Harry Potter fans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Alice Eve was cast as Emma for First Class but they never worked out the contract and she left.

drat, that would have been way better than January Jones.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw Doctor Strange last night. The best part was How the climax wasn't just fighting bad guys for 20 minutes

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 12, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

I saw Doctor Strange last night. The best part was [spoiler[How the climax wasn't just fighting bad guys for 20 minutes[/spoiler]

And no blue light they need to shut down!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

twistedmentat posted:

drat, that would have been way better than January Jones.

January Jones' acting career is still the most bizarre thing to me.

She had no major roles, somehow gets cast on Mad Men, then starring roles in major blockbusters, then back to complete obscurity in the span of 3 years.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

January Jones' acting career is still the most bizarre thing to me.

She had no major roles, somehow gets cast on Mad Men, then starring roles in major blockbusters, then back to complete obscurity in the span of 3 years.

She is quite good on Last Man on Earth. I know, I'm as shocked as you are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Reset Smith posted:

After First Class, her only major roles for 4 years were Good Kill, Sweet Water, and Last Man on Earth.

I'm sure Last Man on Earth is wonderful, but I still consider all of those qualify for the falling into obscurity category. She was in Mad Men a little bit for the last season, but that's pretty much it for 4 years after being the new Hollywood "It Girl."

She has no major upcoming projects. It was the fastest transition I've ever seen from no acting roles, to major critic darling, to blockbuster movie, to nothing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reset Smith posted:

She's so good on Last Man on Earth I just really don't understand how she is so bad in so many other things.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I just want to +1 how good she is on Last Man. I forget she's the same actress from First Class.

To be fair to her First Class is the worst I've seen her. She was perfectly fine in her small roles in comedies like Love Actually and Anger Management before Mad Men.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

After First Class, her only major roles for 4 years were Good Kill, Sweet Water, and Last Man on Earth.

I'm sure Last Man on Earth is wonderful, but I still consider all of those qualify for the falling into obscurity category. She was in Mad Men a little bit for the last season, but that's pretty much it for 4 years after being the new Hollywood "It Girl."

She has no major upcoming projects. It was the fastest transition I've ever seen from no acting roles, to major critic darling, to blockbuster movie, to nothing.

She took time off after First Class to raise her mystery father baby.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm looking forward to Inhumans v Eternals: Dawn of Mutants

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

The Dave posted:

She took time off after First Class to raise her mystery father baby.

The baby's father was the baby, she was doing some method acting preparation to be Carol Danvers but ultimately lost the part.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
She's not a great actor, and she doesn't have a lot of range. That's true of like 90% of all actors. The thing is most of them aren't on Mad Men, and most of them don't have that certain type of attractiveness. As a result she got cast for a whole lot of things she was a terrible fit for. She's a perfectly fine actor if you give her something in her grasp and direct her well, same as most actors.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Ghost in the Shell trailer
https://youtu.be/G4VmJcZR0Yg

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I watched the original movie(the first movie, I KNOW IT WAS A MANGA FIRST) and the TV series in preparation for this, and I'll be honest: I kind of hated them. This looks terrible too so...at least it'll be a good adaption?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

They do some cool stuff visually but the song they pick ruins it entirely. Also, obligatory "why are they all white now"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mulva posted:

She's not a great actor, and she doesn't have a lot of range. That's true of like 90% of all actors. The thing is most of them aren't on Mad Men, and most of them don't have that certain type of attractiveness. As a result she got cast for a whole lot of things she was a terrible fit for. She's a perfectly fine actor if you give her something in her grasp and direct her well, same as most actors.
This is where I'm going to admit I literally don't have the capability to tell good acting from great acting. Meaning, I can identify poo poo acting, but everything else is like, ok, they're doing their job properly. Am I enjoying their performance because they're doing 'great' acting instead of 'good', or is it just a well written character? Is Heath Ledger acting harder in Batman than in 10 Things I Hate About You, or is it just a more compelling character?

I'm not suggesting other people are wrong to be able to identify the difference, I just can't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

They do some cool stuff visually but the song they pick ruins it entirely. Also, obligatory "why are they all white now"

The most successful Asian led Hollywood movie of all time is Harold and Kumar. I think it might be the top 3?

Vicious cycle and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No one in Japan gives a poo poo about it and totally expects it. I mean, there's a Full Metal Alchemist film being made there where everyone from the blonde haired blue eyed protagonist to the vaguely Arabic anti-hero is played by Japanese people.

• Locked thread