Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Karl Barks posted:

apparently u weren't voting LOL

No we were.

Independents and millenials however aka progs were not.

They wrote bozo the clown or harambe on the ticket.

Or hung out by the fireplace.

So, how did knitting by the fireplace go for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

NumberLast posted:

When did people agree on this new definition of the word "Racism"? I hear it a lot, but I never got the memo.

It's old. Sociology defines racism that way.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I just wanna quickly say how glad I am to finally see how I'm not crazy about class replacing race as the major division in our society.

Like this has something that had been kicking around in my head as a child and member of the comfortable salary class from years ago, hearing the voice of people I knew being all "I'm all for social justice as long as there's good wine and cheese." These are people who vote 100% democrat, good reliable​ voters, always tip 15%, black, hispanic, asian, gay, jewish, muslim friends... and totally lost the plot on people not_like_them.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Princess Di posted:

It's old. Sociology defines racism that way.

Huh, the only definitions of racism I ever saw for most of my life are basically "Racial stereotyping."

And the only ones I can find that don't use it that way are inside of academic papers from the 1990's. Doesn't seem very widespread.

Man, is it annoying when common words are jargon that mean something rather different, kinda like "Resolution."

NumberLast has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Nov 13, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

nm

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Princess Di posted:

Omg, they absolutely fear for their healthcare and plenty of young minorities have kids to care for.

How blacks are affected and treated in this country absolutely affects their experiences attempting to get and maintain healthcare as well as their ability to care for their kids.

You realize it's more difficult to get birth control, healthcare, pain management, physical therapy, good schools, passable schools, money to feed those kids, ability to be found eligible for food stamps vs their counter parts in rural areas, or any other type of government assistance compared to their rural counterparts.

Then there is the criminalization of young black people.

Yeah identity politics are "a distraction".

I don't mean to say that minorities are following idpol. Castronaut and I are referring to a particular privileged class of college students.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Princess Di posted:

No we were.

sorry, that you, lost, dude

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it wopuld have made literally zero difference because she had absolutely no message for them whatsoever

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Princess Di posted:

If you think midwest independants and progressives are the same thing you are a goddamn idiot

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Flubby posted:

I don't know about this Bernie 2020 talk. I love Bernie and all, but he's going to be so old. He was already old in 2016. Turns out, in 2020, he may be even older.
I don't expect him to run, but it'd be nice.

I'm more Bernie ~now~ for Bernie stuff rather than focusing on 4 years. The election in 2 years is important too.

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015

Princess Di posted:

No we were.

millenials cant afford a fireplace or knitting

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cubey posted:

it wopuld have made literally zero difference because she had absolutely no message for them whatsoever

She would have taken a photo op with the butter cow.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Princess Di posted:

No we were.

What is this fireplace thing a reference to? Also, your avatar is really doing a number for bringing out your posting voice.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
We should all be really worried about the next decade.

Self driving trucks are going to swing people further to the right as they get left behind.

https://twitter.com/griph/status/796539192721506304

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

*smug liberal voice* lol don't u have a fireplace dumb millenial, vote for the candidate i like idiot

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Haha what the gently caress. They don't even have right-to-work in Ohio, what is OSU doing?

Either way, I'm in a grad student union, which is super rare, and it owns because I get a very good stipend and I get health, dental, and optical insurance. That poo poo has helped this worker plenty. Tell that guy he can get his PhD in sucking my dick.

I got a degree from OSU and it can eat a dick

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you want a good time, start researching primary documents written by slave masters while you still have access to a university library. The 19th Century South was like if alt right dweebs were allowed to run society.

Try reading Konstantin Pobedonostsev

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It's also time liberals struck "white" out from their common lexicon of insults. "Such a white thing to do" or "white people problems" :jerkbag: or "white people haha am I right?", this isn't a white supremacy/white pride thing, people need to stop conflating ALL behaviors with race. The coastal elite have been making GBS threads on midwestern whites for ages now and you wonder why disadvantaged working class whites tune out democratic messaging? I'm not as good at communicating as others when it comes to politics but seriously it's bullshit to poo poo on "rednecks" or "hicks" or "white trash" and in the same sentence get pissy when lower class urban blacks are called "ghetto". It's all a form of classism. The DNC expected the Rust Belt to turn out for Hillary like good little Democrats then when they went to Trump in droves people get mad at them for all being racist/sexist hicks. They're people too and liberals shouldn't write them off because they're white and white people "need to die" or whatever.

No matter what race we are, we're all getting hosed over together.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Nov 13, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Try reading Konstantin Pobedonostsev

How hard is his race science game? Because slavemasters were all about the race science.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Princess Di posted:

No we were.

lmao @ the idea of millenials even owning a home, much less one with a fireplace

you don't loving get it at all, do you?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thats sophie
*collapses*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

It's also time liberals struck "white" out from their common lexicon of insults. "Such a white thing to do" or "white people problems" :jerkbag: or "white people haha am I right?", this isn't a white supremacy/white pride thing, people need to stop conflating ALL behaviors with race. The coastal elite have been making GBS threads on midwestern whites for ages now and you wonder why disadvantaged working class whites tune out democratic messaging? I'm not as good at communicating as others when it comes to politics but seriously it's bullshit to poo poo on "rednecks" or "hicks" or "white trash" and in the same sentence get pissy when lower class urban blacks are called "ghetto". It's all a form of classism.

The more significant divide is between the metropoles and their hinterlands. Even real cities are being cannibalized and having their capital sucked up into major service centers, like New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, etc. There isn't any difference in the economic relations of that dynamic between people in the Midwest, or the people in rural parts of New York.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hillary did worse with every minority demographic than Obama. You can't just draw the end of your analysis here without tangling with the issue of why 8% of the black vote went to Trump.

How many of those voters were motivated by hatred of Hispanics or Muslims? How many are simply a traitorous bourgeoisie?

There is for sure, far more racial motivation among whites than any other group, but racism won on the margins - it wasn't all white folks.

Hillary did worse with every minority demographic than Obama.

This is a bad faith argument. That is willfully ignoring the fact that Hillary was never going to reach those numbers since Obama was the first black president in the history of the United States. Now if Hillary's team believed they were going to do that, then that is yet another major gently caress up. Our turnout was very much in line with what is expected from a winning democratic candidate.

Also really? You are going to talk about 8 percent of the black vote when we make up 13 percent of the population when 63 percent of white men voted for Trump and of those that remained many didn't care for him but didn't find blatant racism disgusting enough to get them to vote against it?

At what point do middle class white people take responsibility for the personal antipathy that led them to just sit this one out.

If we are going to acknowledge the rust belt's part in this, where is the admission that the poor descendants of steel workers did not do this alone?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/797605120850722817

Jesus H.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Justin Tyme posted:

It's also time liberals struck "white" out from their common lexicon of insults. "Such a white thing to do" or "white people problems" :jerkbag: or "white people haha am I right?", this isn't a white supremacy/white pride thing, people need to stop conflating ALL behaviors with race. The coastal elite have been making GBS threads on midwestern whites for ages now and you wonder why disadvantaged working class whites tune out democratic messaging? I'm not as good at communicating as others when it comes to politics but seriously it's bullshit to poo poo on "rednecks" or "hicks" or "white trash" and in the same sentence get pissy when lower class urban blacks are called "ghetto". It's all a form of classism. The DNC expected the Rust Belt to turn out for Hillary like good little Democrats then when they went to Trump in droves people get mad at them for all being racist/sexist hicks.

If I could collectively tell the left anything, it would be that institutional power might be necessary to make someone a racist, but anybody can be an rear end in a top hat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

friendly reminder to show up at meetings and get in touch with your state's democratic party, even if they are already likely to back ellison. make your loving voice heard, we cannot have people like this guy in control of the dnc any longer.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Princess Di posted:

At what point do middle class white people take responsibility for the personal antipathy that led them to just sit this one out.
When you give them a choice that targets and benefits them as well.

Much like Bernie wanted to.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

How hard is his race science game? Because slavemasters were all about the race science.

No race science, but he did believe that democracy was a decadent western system of mob rule

He also wanted to ban religions other than Russian Orthodoxy and forced Jews off their land

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Princess Di posted:

Hillary did worse with every minority demographic than Obama.

This is a bad faith argument. That is willfully ignoring the fact that Hillary was never going to reach those numbers since Obama was the first black president in the history of the United States. Now if Hillary's team believed they were going to do that, then that is yet another major gently caress up. Our turnout was very much in line with what is expected from a winning democratic candidate.

Also really? You are going to talk about 8 percent of the black vote when we make up 13 percent of the population when 63 percent of white men voted for Trump and of those that remained many didn't care for him but didn't find blatant racism disgusting enough to get them to vote against it?

If we are going to acknowledge the rust belt's part in this, where is the admission that the poor descendants of steel workers did not do this alone?

I'm not going to accept responsibility for an identity grouping that I'm not even a part of.

I only brought up the black vote, because the conventional wisdom was that Trump shouldn't have gotten any of it. Well what about the quarter of the Hispanic vote that went to Trump too? Hillary lost on pitifully small margins, which meant those minority votes for Trump made a difference. How can you account for that? Blaming the racism problem exclusively on whites is a counter-productive analysis.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

i just can't "WHITE PRIVILEGE!" understand why "YES ALL MEN" middle class "HAMILTON HAMILTON HAMILTON YAAS" white males "A BASKET OF DEPLORABLES" didn't show up to vote for "POKEMON GO OUT TO THE POLLS!" my candidate...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

gently caress hamilton it makes me want to go to grad school so i can be a professor of american history and fix the poo poo it caused

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Bigotry is bigotry, no matter the person espousing it.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Karl Barks posted:

sorry, that you, lost, dude

I'm happy for you though!

Your guy won!

Oh it wasn't your guy?

If you didn't vote against him you did fuckall this election.

How was your Riesling by the fireplace? I hear Grapes of Wrath is good reading this time of year.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Princess Di posted:

Your guy won!

Oh it wasn't your guy?

How was your Riesling by the fireplace? I hear Grapes of Wrath is good reading this time of year.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Also, "Middle class white people" didn't sit this out. They voted decisively for Trump. A third of the country only has an income of $20,000 or less. 71% makes less than $50,000. The middle class in general is a rump of what it used to be, and the white middle class sure as Hell didn't sit this out. Poor people did.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Princess Di posted:

Your guy won!

Oh it wasn't your guy?

If you didn't vote for Clinton you're a bad person!!!

^ Literally why Hillary lost.

You can't shame people into believing in something. And you certainly couldn't shame people into voting for the neoliberal dumpster fire of Hillary Clinton.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Princess Di posted:

Your guy won!

Oh it wasn't your guy?

you're so loving corn cobbed right now, lmao

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Princess Di posted:

Your guy won!

Oh it wasn't your guy?

People don't have an obligation to vote for your side, or even vote at all.

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015
clinton's war on coal would have ended my enjoyment of The Fireplace

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Seriously lol if you think Hillary was failed, rather than Hillary (and the Dems) failed the electorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't mean to say that minorities are following idpol. Castronaut and I are referring to a particular privileged class of college students.

Well I'm glad that's cleared up finally. It appears here on SA, it doesn't mean what I think it means. Please keep in mind how it's normally used though.

Jaminjami posted:

millenials cant afford a fireplace or knitting

The picky ones can.

Only the best for Harambe.

gently caress that baby though.

• Locked thread