Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

Has anyone ever figured out the biggest margin of victory someone could get with the popular vote and still lose the EC vote?

You could theoretically get zero votes in the states that you lose and only win by 1% in the states you do win which would be a hilariously low popular vote.

Like in the states that hillary won she could have won them with 100% of the votes cast.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37963965

quote:

Hillary Clinton has blamed her defeat in the US presidential election on interventions by the FBI director.
James Comey's announcement of a new inquiry into her use of email while secretary of state shortly before election day had stopped her campaign's momentum, Mrs Clinton said.
The Democratic candidate was speaking to top party donors in a phone call, which was leaked to the media.

:negative:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Excuses. Her campaign was flawed from the beginning, Comey's letter was just a symptom of a larger problem with her.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
From that same call

quote:

Finance director Dennis Cheng ran through numbers that illustrate how heavily Clinton relied upon big donors:

The campaign raised $972 million, “of which 56 percent was generated by the people on this call."

Nope, can't see the problem at all.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
It's still entirely possible that the last minute hype from his second letter affected turnout though, isn't it? Everyone wants to have these impossibly wise critiques of her campaign that were apparently waiting for one tiny crucial detail to become viable (the part where she lost). Maybe it's, I don't know, more complicated?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It would be pretty bad if she tries to run again without changing anything because she thinks comey was the reason she lost.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

It would be pretty bad if she tries to run again without changing anything because she thinks comey was the reason she lost.

You'll never see her in politics again. You might never see her in public again either, who knows. It's best if she disappears from the public eye probably forever.

Hillary's picture will be in the dictionary under Hubris.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zeris posted:

It's still entirely possible that the last minute hype from his second letter affected turnout though, isn't it? Everyone wants to have these impossibly wise critiques of her campaign that were apparently waiting for one tiny crucial detail to become viable (the part where she lost). Maybe it's, I don't know, more complicated?

I believe the pussy tape being released at the time the Comey released his letter would have gotten Hillary elected, but people would have said it was part of a bigger problem with Trump instead of blaming that tape alone. So I think this post is pretty accurate:

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Excuses. Her campaign was flawed from the beginning, Comey's letter was just a symptom of a larger problem with her.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Also it sure would be strange if the woman who told Wall Street "it's good to have a public and a private position on matters" has a donor-oriented excuse that conveniently shifts blame away from her. She may be arrogant and have trusted in a flawed campaign message, but it's not like she was the one person staking her wellbeing on Trump's ability to troll the gently caress out of us and remain viable. Remember the part where the media simultaneously squeezed everything they could out of his sound bites while simultaneously dismissing him in voting booths and probabilities? Everything about this election was unprecedented. Nobody's playbook had suggestions for it. Aphoristically stating the idiocy of pegging a campaign message on tearing down the other candidate for lack of presidential fitness seems smart til you mention that said candidate admits to sexual assault and bullies mothers of dead soldiers. Or the part where Trump did the same loving campaign as her, but had an 8 year head start thanks to subgroups of supporters who already hated Clintons and/or Obama. They played that game where you race towards the cliff and neither candidate chickened out. Trump just hit the earth second. Or something.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I have a hard time point to any one thing over the last six months and saying "that's it, that's why she lost". It's easier to see in hindsight but it's still a difficult thing to pull out into soundbites.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have a hard time point to any one thing over the last six months and saying "that's it, that's why she lost". It's easier to see in hindsight but it's still a difficult thing to pull out into soundbites.

If there *had* to be any one thing that was done wrong, it's assuming that white rurals and working class stiffs who voted for Obama in 2008/2012 would vote for her just because she's in the same party. The fact that ~6m people LESS voted for her than Obama '12 points to that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

If there *had* to be any one thing that was done wrong, it's assuming that white rurals and working class stiffs who voted for Obama in 2008/2012 would vote for her just because she's in the same party. The fact that ~6m people LESS voted for her than Obama '12 points to that.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that she was down with every demographic compared to Obama except women, where she didn't actually gain anymore voters than Obama had.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

TBeats posted:

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that she was down with every demographic compared to Obama except women, where she didn't actually gain anymore voters than Obama had.

Correct. This was not some massive turnout on Trump's behalf that won the day, it was Obama voters not voting for Hillary. Not staying home, but not voting for Hillary. Michigan had 80,000 ballots cast with no Presidential candidate.

In defense of Hillary's comments, she hasn't had enough time for polls to come back on what her response should be.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Heh. The safeway near me has already removed plastic bags.

Guess it's time to buy a bunch of the canvas bags.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Correct. This was not some massive turnout on Trump's behalf that won the day, it was Obama voters not voting for Hillary. Not staying home, but not voting for Hillary. Michigan had 80,000 ballots cast with no Presidential candidate.

In defense of Hillary's comments, she hasn't had enough time for polls to come back on what her response should be.

I've talked to five people that I can think of off the top of my head that just left their vote for president blank and concentrated on local and state elections.

I'm one of those people -- though I didn't leave mine blank, I wrote in Monty.

Monty got more votes for prez than probably everyone in this thread :smug:

I mostly did that because, while I would have preferred Hillary over Trump, VA seemed like if was a lock for Hillary. She won VA, but I don't think I can actually say it was a lock anymore.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

I've talked to five people that I can think of off the top of my head that just left their vote for president blank and concentrated on local and state elections.

I'm one of those people -- though I didn't leave mine blank, I wrote in Monty.

Monty got more votes for prez than probably everyone in this thread :smug:

I mostly did that because, while I would have preferred Hillary over Trump, VA seemed like if was a lock for Hillary. She won VA, but I don't think I can actually say it was a lock anymore.

She won VA by more than Obama did in 2012.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Stolen from that election meltdown thread:

https://twitter.com/Beer__Wolf/status/797059740815736832

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Can we please be rid of Lena Dunham already? Goddam, she's loving gross.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Wait. That's a real thing? She seriously wrote that?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Naked Bear posted:

Whoa what the gently caress man.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It is incredible how bad she is at everything she does.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hillary lost a couple crucial states by like less than a percent. Any number of tiny things might've won her the election in the end.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
A couple of things might have won the election.

Her not being a poo poo candidate would have definitely won the election.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Hillary lost a couple crucial states by like less than a percent. Any number of tiny things might've won her the election in the end.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

A couple of things might have won the election.

Her not being a poo poo candidate would have definitely won the election.

Trump Victory 2016: Tragedy of the Conmans.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Naked Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/MartinShkreli/status/797130599249178624

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I'm back on this guy's side

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Naked Bear posted:

Counterpoint:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doesn't she have an allergy to her own internal organs or whatever.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Some condition where her insides are slowly but constantly generating scar tissue, gluing her organs to one another or something. Which doesn't SOUND like much but your organs are really not intended to be stuck to things so they get hosed up and it means regular surgeries. Honestly it sounds horrible.

e: Had it kinda wrong but kinda right, it's endometriosis whih I looked up and it's where the uterus lining grows on the outside the uterus. It thickens, breaks down, and bleeds with every menstrual cycle but that poo poo is trapped in the body between organs with no way to get out. It leads to irritation, the scar tissue and organ adhesion mentioned, and of course pain.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 13, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That sounds horrible :(

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some condition where her insides are slowly but constantly generating scar tissue, gluing her organs to one another or something. Which doesn't SOUND like much but your organs are really not intended to be stuck to things so they get hosed up and it means regular surgeries. Honestly it sounds horrible.

What the gently caress. :barf:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I added a correction to my post, had it wrong in the details but in the end not that wrong. It sounds horrible, one of those things where your body rebels & acts against you.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some condition where her insides are slowly but constantly generating scar tissue, gluing her organs to one another or something.

Yep, she has endometriosis, meaning the part that normally lines the inside of her uterus and bleeds each month instead starts showing up all over the inside of her abdomen (and sometimes lungs) and bleeding there instead, causing the scar tissue and organs sticking together. It sucks and can cause a ton of chronic pain. No real good treatment for it either.

edit: beaten. maybe I should preview post from now on

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Counterpoint:

being a fat chick with small tits is like the biggest one-two punch nature can give

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I'm dying over the #Bidenmeme hashtag on Twitter.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

holocaust bloopers posted:

Doesn't she have an allergy to her own internal organs or whatever.

I think you mean her internal organs are allergic to her.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Biden/Sanders 2020

They may not make to 2024, but drat it'd be a fun ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That sounds horrible :(

It is. Dated a girl who had it so bad she went in for a radical hysterectomy at 33.

Utterly debilitating pain, horrid medical procedures that might buy a few weeks of normalcy at a time. Treatment ranges from hormones (birth control can help some women) to ripping everything out.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 13, 2016

• Locked thread