Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Princess Di posted:

Hey progs!

How was the fireplace while we were voting?

Lol are you seriously saying that PROGRESSIVES didn't vote for Clinton? That's like the only group she improved over Obama with. She fell with blacks, latinos, suburbanites, utterly crushed in rural areas....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

princess di perhaps this thread is more your speed

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796630

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol are you seriously saying that PROGRESSIVES didn't vote for Clinton? That's like the only group she improved over Obama with. She fell with blacks, latinos, suburbanites, utterly crushed in rural areas....

Ugh, too many words that too many people have different definitions of. It makes communication a loving pain.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Princess Di posted:

Hillary did worse with every minority demographic than Obama.

This is a bad faith argument. That is willfully ignoring the fact that Hillary was never going to reach those numbers since Obama was the first black president in the history of the United States. Now if Hillary's team believed they were going to do that, then that is yet another major gently caress up. Our turnout was very much in line with what is expected from a winning democratic candidate.

Also really? You are going to talk about 8 percent of the black vote when we make up 13 percent of the population when 63 percent of white men voted for Trump and of those that remained many didn't care for him but didn't find blatant racism disgusting enough to get them to vote against it?

At what point do middle class white people take responsibility for the personal antipathy that led them to just sit this one out.

If we are going to acknowledge the rust belt's part in this, where is the admission that the poor descendants of steel workers did not do this alone?

Hillary did barely as well with black voters as John Kerry in 04', and did worse than Al Gore in 2000. Even if we just compare her to other white democrats her performance in that area wasn't anything special.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

AHungryRobot posted:

Hillary did barely as well with black voters as John Kerry in 04', and did worse than Al Gore in 2000. Even if we just compare her to other white democrats her performance in that area wasn't anything special.

Are you saying that, in the end, racial rhetoric didn't seem to have much of an effect on the vote?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
christ the rural poverty thread, i didn't want to be proven right in the worst way possible

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Fidel Castronaut posted:

What is this fireplace thing a reference to? Also, your avatar is really doing a number for bringing out your posting voice.

It is to describe entitlement. People obsessed with purity and purity flame wars tend to be entitled. I hope that's clear.

I'm talking about college tumblerites and YouTube entitled faux woke activists and bored rich kids conversing on intersectionality purely theoretically.

Entitlement.

My avatar is basically a gang tag for me at this point. Also it's funny you are seeing a black woman as a white male. Erasure makes me giddy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Princess Di posted:

It is to describe entitlement. People obsessed with purity and purity flame wars tend to be entitled. I hope that's clear.

I'm talking about college tumblerites and YouTube entitled faux woke activists and bored rich kids conversing on intersectionality purely theoretically.

Entitlement.

My avatar is basically a gang tag for me at this point. Also it's funny you are seeing a black woman as a white male. Erasure makes me giddy.

You just described the people that voted for Clinton.

At least, all the ones I know.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
Lmao Hillary sucked huge turds and almost everyone knew it. Double lmao if you're still in denial.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

lmao @ the idea of millenials even owning a home, much less one with a fireplace

you don't loving get it at all, do you?

Your moms home is still your home.

I've known people living in a homeless shelter.

The people I'm speaking of don't know what food stamps are.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Princess Di posted:

Entitlement.

haha

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Three days after Clinton has already lost: Core Clintonites begin considering looking at the actual data for 30 seconds, reject notion and go back to literally recording videos of themselves crying.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
Am I out of touch?? No, it's the voters who are wrong.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

snakeandbake posted:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Princess Di posted:

lol i was homeless, woke don't pay the bills

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Princess Di posted:

I'm happy for you though!

Your guy won!

Oh it wasn't your guy?

If you didn't vote against him you did fuckall this election.

How was your Riesling by the fireplace? I hear Grapes of Wrath is good reading this time of year.

i voted for bernie in the primary, hated hillary but voted for her in general (in california) because trump is literally hilter. unfortunately hillary decided to spend money buying ads in NY and CA rather than the loving rust belt

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

snakeandbake posted:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

snakeandbake posted:

Grognan posted:

woke don't pay the bills

I call this: Woke 2 :ssj:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Princess Di posted:

People obsessed with purity and purity flame wars tend to be entitled.

lmao what do you think you're loving doing at this moment

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Nov 13, 2016

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I didn't vote for Clinton. I voted for PSL.

I hope my voting for something I wanted, instead of against something I didn't, doesn't hurt.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm not going to accept responsibility for an identity grouping that I'm not even a part of.

I only brought up the black vote, because the conventional wisdom was that Trump shouldn't have gotten any of it. Well what about the quarter of the Hispanic vote that went to Trump too? Hillary lost on pitifully small margins, which meant those minority votes for Trump made a difference. How can you account for that? Blaming the racism problem exclusively on whites is a counter-productive analysis.

The Hispanic vote in Florida is historically Republican due to the Cuban vote there. This is longstanding.

Another incredible gently caress up by Clintons team by the way. If you are going to start relying on a sea change that has not happened in decades you had better have the hardest of evidence but they did not!

Yet another inexcusable mistake in the campaign.

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015

Princess Di posted:

i lived in a homeless shelter with my mom, although it did have a fireplace so... Harambe?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

As someone who is a gun owning, left leaning but slightly nationalist dude from the midwest, if the future of the DNC looks anything like the atmosphere of this thread it actually makes me somewhat encouraged and excited.

It's time we had a real party for the people and ditch all this stupid crybaby college celebrity bullshit, and get rid of the Clintonite neoliberalism that only serves the rich elites.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

snakeandbake posted:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"help i cant feed my kids and i have to drink lead and i haven't had a day off in four years"

"i gotchu

"

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
Remember how many people were laughing at trump's campaign budget, that Hillary had it in the bag because look how much (wall street) money she's spending!

Then Trump still loving beat her because she's garbage lmao.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
purge the clintonite scum

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
Let them stay, their corn cobbedness is highly amusing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

snakeandbake posted:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if i have to read so many drat words about nothing im gonna probate some goddamn peckerwoords

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
Hillary bad.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
HILLARY BAD! BERNIE GOOD! GO KILL!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

snakeandbake posted:

We make jokes on our dead Internet forum, but

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/797426924721209344

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

hopefully all the clintonites continue to blame others while the rest of the dnc is slowly plunging their knives into their backs

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Empathy is going to be really important going forward. But, like I've said, that work is on us with the privilege because I can't ask somebody who has stopped wearing their hijab in response to threats to exercise their empathy right now. I'm a white cisgendered het man from Kentucky. I can speak to my people with empathy and I must.

Here is the book on Amazon, White Trash: Race and Class in America I was wrong, there isn't a bell hooks essay in there, though she is mentioned often. I will try to track down the essay about white poverty that I'm misremembering as being in this collection.

I try to use it when talking to working-class white folks. I tell them that my experience of poverty is different from a black person's experience of poverty but always make it clear that you aren't erasing their poverty and use first-person when possible. So, I say that I would wait with black folks in the urgent care center, so we're both experiencing the troubles of having no insurance and having to wait until things were really bad before we sought medical care, but if we needed pain management, that studies show that docs are much more trusting that white patients are legitimately reporting their pain needs than black patients. I couldn't afford to pay my fine for driving when I had no driver's license but the cop let me go that night with my friend driving the car instead of me. Wouldn't happen if I were black.

So, I think there are ways to talk about intersectionality in a generative way that acknowledges that poo poo is still really loving bad for poor white folks.

Yeah, this is what I was hoping to get at. When I talk about the term, I don't mean trying to somehow popularize the word "intersectionality" or the various other concepts that have been bandied about (and frankly misused by the Sociology/Feminism-101 stereotypes), but in terms of how to create an argumentative framework for how to express these issues and possible policy prescriptions.

I think a lot of what happens is that these things become a simplified tautology that others are not really invited into understanding in a "if you have to ask, you'll never know" kind of way. Imagine someone who only has their localized white experience, and have been struggling financially all their lives. The way that person is primed, they will interpret things with entirely different assumptions and attitudes since they haven't had the luxury of travel or broad-based education beyond the minimum requirements to pass a test. They hear "black lives matter" but instead of understanding it as "black lives [do] matter" they instead view it as "black lives matter [more]", even though the latter is wildly incorrect and not what the phrase is supposed to mean. This isn't to say that a large portion of the people who take offense to this aren't racist (many frankly are), but there are plenty who are just unaware of the origin of the phrase in its context because they have lived their own lives in a miserable position and haven't really had the experience or necessity to view their own privileges. In fact, telling someone who is facing decades of economic bullshit that they shouldn't feel lovely because "well at least you're white and have privilege" is the worst possible way to approach them. The situational and emotional framework they experience in their day-to-day lives colors their view of the world in a way that is anathema to a lot of the drive-by discourse and shaming that people have adopted as a substitute for advocacy.

It all comes down to the fact that people want to feel like their problems are being acknowledged. Being dismissed with a handwave and academic terms is the best way to make them resent you and everything you stand for.

Neeksy has issued a correction as of 03:59 on Nov 13, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lazorexplosion posted:

Kinda off topic but related to chat that happened here back a bit, does anyone have any links to clear explanations about whether or not accepting poor immigrants makes it harder for working class people to find jobs? I kinda suspect it does at least in the short term but would like to read what people have to say. (Or should I take this to another place)

In a consumer economy like ours more people here = more people buying stuff = more people who need to be serviced and so on. It's not hard to figure out if you know basic economics, but it's easy just to yell that it's [insert out group here] trying to gently caress you over. All the normal reasons one might restrict immigration such as space and resources don't really apply to us since we still have insane amounts of space and generate basically infinite wealth.

One of the things fueling racial resentment is low income minority families gravitate towards cheap to live places IE rural America. Then an insane orange racist flies in on his plane and tells you it's the non-whites who are to blame.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mods, please change the thread title to 'This thread kills fascists.' TIA.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Venom Snake posted:

In a consumer economy like ours more people here = more people buying stuff = more people who need to be serviced and so on. It's not hard to figure out if you know basic economics, but it's easy just to yell that it's [insert out group here] trying to gently caress you over. All the normal reasons one might restrict immigration such as space and resources don't really apply to us since we still have insane amounts of space and generate basically infinite wealth.

One of the things fueling racial resentment is low income minority families gravitate towards cheap to live places IE rural America. Then an insane orange racist flies in on his plane and tells you it's the non-whites who are to blame.

There are also many businesses that take advantage of the lack of worker protections for the undocumented, which ends up bringing down the wages for everyone else. If you try to advocate for better positions, businesses are able to strike back with the threat that they'll just replace you with tax-free under-the-table labor. The resentment spirals out from there when you have dwindling public resources in those areas, and the illusion that these immigrants are free-riders on a system that the rest of the workforce is paying for but not getting anything back. Then the local bridge collapses and their commute now has a permanent 40-minute extension every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Princess Di posted:

At what point do middle class white people take responsibility for the personal antipathy that led them to just sit this one out.

Turns out, anybody can talk up privilege this and privilege that but in the end it is their privledge to choose who to vote for lol

• Locked thread