Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

So it's very unlikely we'll be flipping the House in either 2018 or 2020?

I think it just depends on how the next four years go. Gerrymandered districts are normally safe but are very susceptible to wave elections and get gradually less safe as more time passes since the borders were originally drawn. I think Dems have more of a chance to flip the House now than they would have under a Clinton presidency but it would still take a lot of hard work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HorseRenoir posted:

outcomes ranked from best to worst:

1. People get really pissed at Trump/GOP and the Dems have their poo poo together, causing GOP turnout to decline, Dem turnout to rise, and non-traditional Trump voters to jump off the Trump Train. The midterms are a Dem wave reminiscent of 2006, causing Dems to take the House and a bunch of state-level races. Senate remains out of reach but Dems are in a better position to retake it in 2020
2. People get really pissed at Trump/GOP but the Dems still don't have their poo poo together, so they only make moderate gains in the midterms. Still in a good position to win 2020 though
3. GOP gets desperate and Trump goes full-on racist demagogue to distract from all the unfulfilled promises. Things get extremely bad for a lot of people but Dems get fired up in response hopefully?
4. Trump does well against all expectations and serves out two full terms. gently caress
5. A major 9/11-style terrorist attack happens between now and 2018 and America goes full Nazi Germany as the country rallies around Trump. There probably won't be a 2020 election in this timeline.

I don't think a terrorist attack would cause a rally around Trump. Maybe. Depends. I think we're inured and he's too divisive.

You left off #6, "Trump orders a nuclear launch at the Mideast in a fit of narcissistic rage and Moscow misinterprets it as an attack. All life on earth ends."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Number Two Stunna posted:

I think we need to make life for white men a living hell until Trump is no longer president. Next time you see a white man, get in his face, tell him that he's about to hear the voice of the people he's oppressed, and scream as loud as you can. If white men are confronted by screaming POC, womxn, and LGBT+ at every turn, they will be forced to face our pain and reconsider their own oppressive behaviour.

- ways to not increase voter turnout

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly I am just hoping that the Republican Legislature splinters into divided sub-groups that just continue the deadlock. I really can't see Ted Cruz and his cronies voluntarily working with Trump and Ryan will be trying to pin any issues and problems squarely on the Donald. Democrats should sit back and watch the squabbles and try (and probably fail) to be obstructionist and try to stoke the fires within the R party. Also hope Trump doesn't drop dead of a rage induced stroke leaving Pence to rule.

FuturePastNow posted:

- ways to not increase voter turnout

I am really hoping that was sarcasm, but this is D&D.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think a terrorist attack would cause a rally around Trump. Maybe. Depends. I think we're inured and he's too divisive.

You left off #6, "Trump orders a nuclear launch at the Mideast in a fit of narcissistic rage and Moscow misinterprets it as an attack. All life on earth ends."

Right now it's at 3 minutes to midnight. So I bet anything it gets pushed all the way forward to 1pm.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HorseRenoir posted:

I think it just depends on how the next four years go. Gerrymandered districts are normally safe but are very susceptible to wave elections and get gradually less safe as more time passes since the borders were originally drawn. I think Dems have more of a chance to flip the House now than they would have under a Clinton presidency but it would still take a lot of hard work.

At what point in the year does gerrymandering actually occur? If the GOP can get it done before the election then we're stuck with the pricks until 2030 in the House, but if it's after we might get some sanity.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And how many of those 300,000 intended to vote let alone actually tried? Not nearly as many as people who just stayed home for no real reason.

Dude it literally only needs to be 9% of that number

and anyway if people are so discouraged from even trying to vote that they don't, well, try, then voter suppression has worked just as surely as having them turned away at the polling station.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just a reminder that, thanks to grabbing both houses of the Minnesota, Iowa, and Kentucky state legislatures (and losing Nevada) Republicans are now just one state legislature shy of calling an Article V convention:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/797480012446388225

From a few pages back, but this is just one more reason we'll have to fight like hell in Colorado in the midterms; our Senate is GOP and the Dems only have a three-seat lead in the House.

gently caress it, maybe I'll try running!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

I really can't see Ted Cruz and his cronies voluntarily working with Trump

cue miserable-cruz-on-phone-stumping-for-trump.jpg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I don't think the Democrats are gonna hold it at the 2018 Elections or make gains.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

The Maroon Hawk posted:

From a few pages back, but this is just one more reason we'll have to fight like hell in Colorado in the midterms; our Senate is GOP and the Dems only have a three-seat lead in the House.

gently caress it, maybe I'll try running!

well, the senate is probably in trouble because everyone lives in only a few key counties

its a western state (like cowboy western) that's coming out from being one of the most conservative states in the country (norquist's no tax bullshit ten yeas ago)

its a challenging problem because there's really not much to our state outside a few key areas

dems wil need a platform that appeals to a whole bunch of diverse people and regions (from the eastern plains to the western slope) if they want to win. it'll be tough

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I don't think the Democrats are gonna hold it at the 2018 Elections or make gains.

The Senate is hosed and the House is a long shot but I don't see why the Dems can't make gains. Dems are in a more advantageous position to win midterm elections now than they were in the Obama years.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
lol if you don't think Cruz will do whatever he possibly can to gain some sort of power in the reign of Trump.

He has no principles. He just wants more and more for himself. If he was gonna stand against Trump he had his chance in the election. Instead he ended up falling in line behind the guy that insulted his wife for a cheap political shot.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just a reminder that, thanks to grabbing both houses of the Minnesota, Iowa, and Kentucky state legislatures (and losing Nevada) Republicans are now just one state legislature shy of calling an Article V convention:

:eyepop: Wow we are hosed. Is there even an honest chance at reclaiming any of those state legislatures?

Denzer
May 15, 2009

quote:

"The three hours I spent at the Javits Center Tuesday night, surrounded by campaign staffers and fellow surrogates for Hillary Clinton, are blurred and spotty," Dunham recalled in her newsletter. "At a certain point it became clear something had gone horribly wrong. Celebrants' faces turned. The modeling had been incorrect. Watching the numbers in Florida, I touched my face and realized I was crying. 'Can we please go home?' I said to my boyfriend. I could tell he was having trouble breathing, and I could feel my chin breaking into hives. Another woman showed me her matching hive, hidden by fresh concealer."

"By the time we'd made it over the bridge, a friend called. 'It's over,' she said. 'I love you.' I was frozen," the star continued. "We stopped at the diner. No one was speaking as they ate, no one in the whole place."

Once home, Dunham cried "even harder" while taking a shower. "My boyfriend, who had already wept, watched me as I mumbled incoherently, clutching myself. 'It wasn't supposed to go this way. It was supposed to be her job. She worked her whole life for the job. It's her job,'" she wrote. "My voice was literally lost when I woke up, squeaky and raw, and I ached in the places that make me a woman, the places where I've been grabbed so carelessly, the places we are struggling to call our own."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SourKraut posted:

:eyepop: Wow we are hosed. Is there even an honest chance at reclaiming any of those state legislatures?

It's not quite so dire as that, since there isn't unanimous support for an Article 5 convention even among Republicans, but yes it is bad. There is hope for reclaiming some of those chambers, such as Virginia's, though; its Senate only barely went Republican after a long-time Democratic member was literally bribed to resign and throw his seat ultimately to the other party. Especially if Trump proves as disastrous as many predict, and an anti-Republican wave is generated. (Though lol at expecting the left to organize in America.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, Trump's election has caused a wave of racist, bigoted, and white supremacist action and events to surge. We're seeing reports in the news of people being verbally and physically assaulted, mocked and threatened in classrooms, and neo-Nazis and the KKK marching everywhere. This seems explicitly enabled by Trump's election and the alt-right feeling emboldened by it. What do we do about this? Will the Trump administration decry these happenings, or will they just sit back and let it happen?

This is what scares me the most, aside from Pence. If this keeps up and Pence somehow gets power, we're headed for Nazi Germany.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pollyanna posted:

What do we do about this?

Oppose it on a personal, local, and state level; speak out against it where we see it, and fight to ensure it does not become any more legitimate.

Pollyanna posted:

Will the Trump administration decry these happenings, or will they just sit back and let it happen?

I think you know the answer to this one. :allears:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

maybe appeal to those voters with a serious platform that speaks to their needs? :shrug:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

maybe appeal to those voters with a serious platform that speaks to their needs? :shrug:

But how do you convince, for example, Rust Belt workers that you can get them jobs when the jobs they were working in are never coming back? They need to be educated/trained in other areas so that they can transition to new careers, but without state or Federal programs to support them, I don't see it happening. And Republicans will shout about higher taxes and debt to do so, so a huge chunk of the voter base will still reject it.

it just feels as if there's still this huge chunk of voters who will vote against what we'd want to do. I mean, I know several people who claim to be socially liberal but fiscally conservative and when pushed to choose, always vote fiscal conservatism first. How do you actually get these people to start putting social issues first?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Mendrian posted:

Possibly. I think it's two separate but very closely related arguments.

People who are saying racism/sexism is the biggest factor are making an argument about why people would want to live in a Trump universe. This argument supposes (and I agree with this argument) that the Trump election was not a standard election. That Trump (and his supporters) are some of the most racist and sexist jerks since the 1800's. If you believe this - or even any number of similar but lesser claims, to be honest - than you have to actively discount Trump's rhetoric and the views of his most vile supporters (who are numerous) in order to want to live in a world where Trump is president. That's what they're saying. It's not, "Joe Average walked to the polls and pulled the lever that's labeled gently caress MINORITIES", at least not in most cases. It's the idea that someone who is willing to bargain on ideological purity (Bernie supporters) or self-interest (rural white voters) against the actual lives and welfare of minorities. That's the argument. That someone has to be at least passively racist to make a choice like that.

The other argument - the populist argument we keep hearing - is that these people aren't racists, and I think that, you know, for most of them this is true in an impersonal kind of way. They don't wake up and do racist yoga and give racist handshakes to their racist friends, or take a conference call from the KKK every Tuesday. But it's the willing belief that nah, Trump can't do that much harm, or nah, things can't be that bad for minorities, or nah, my life and my family are more important than the lives of others (and that last argument is probably the most sympathetic) - those are racist thoughts! That's the definition of modern racism. It's like we don't believe in racism unless it's got a flag and a hood and a band playing behind it.

The argument that people who don't care about other people as much as they care about their own self interests are racists is an interesting one, but it's also one that's all too easy to dismiss as "fuckhead liberal college bullshit." Couching it as a race issue is a good way to make people tune out entirely. I'd suggest using the bible instead, and presenting it as a "what would Jesus do" argument.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

disjoe posted:

Just to be clear there are a lot of (not all by a long shot) racists who would have a change of heart if they had a good education and economic security.

BY POSTING THIS I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANY SORT OF POLICY POSITION

This is demonstrably false.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SourKraut posted:

But how do you convince, for example, Rust Belt workers that you can get them jobs when the jobs they were working in are never coming back? They need to be educated/trained in other areas so that they can transition to new careers, but without state or Federal programs to support them, I don't see it happening. And Republicans will shout about higher taxes and debt to do so, so a huge chunk of the voter base will still reject it.

You can try actually having an actual solution instead of shouting "RACIST" at them, for one.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

John_A_Tallon posted:

The argument that people who don't care about other people as much as they care about their own self interests are racists is an interesting one, but it's also one that's all too easy to dismiss as "fuckhead liberal college bullshit." Couching it as a race issue is a good way to make people tune out entirely. I'd suggest using the bible instead, and presenting it as a "what would Jesus do" argument.

I saw people legitimately posting on Facebook comments such as how they worked their way through school, bought a house, work hard, didn't take out thousands in student loans, etc, and that they support gays getting married and women having a choice, but that they supported Trump because they shouldn't have to give up their wealth to support those causes, or forgiving student loans, etc.

I've tried calling them out, but it always go back to people valuing money over everything else.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

HorseRenoir posted:

The Senate is hosed and the House is a long shot but I don't see why the Dems can't make gains. Dems are in a more advantageous position to win midterm elections now than they were in the Obama years.

yeah. i really hope we stop whatever fight over the dnc chair we've got soon, and start fighting for 2018

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pollyanna posted:

So, Trump's election has caused a wave of racist, bigoted, and white supremacist action and events to surge. We're seeing reports in the news of people being verbally and physically assaulted, mocked and threatened in classrooms, and neo-Nazis and the KKK marching everywhere. This seems explicitly enabled by Trump's election and the alt-right feeling emboldened by it. What do we do about this? Will the Trump administration decry these happenings, or will they just sit back and let it happen?

This is what scares me the most, aside from Pence. If this keeps up and Pence somehow gets power, we're headed for Nazi Germany.

Hey now, don't compare Pence to Hitler. Pence doesn't want to see gays burn for a finite amount of time!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

You can try actually having an actual solution instead of shouting "RACIST" at them, for one.
While my personal belief is that every Trump supporter is either racist or is tolerant of racism (by definition of overlooking his comments to support him), I don't go around calling them racist.

However at some point the racist elephant in the room has to be addressed somehow...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 13, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Will the Trump administration decry these happenings, or will they just sit back and let it happen?

I don't think they will just let it happen when they can help out by passing a bill for federal funding for the KKK.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying. But don't governors also have to sign off on such a thing?

And the 2018 senate map looks pretty drat ugly too. It's way more important to take control of that than the House at this point.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Pollyanna posted:

I know a dude who doesn't think Trump is racist. He knows the things that Trump has said, so he isn't ignorant of facts, he just thinks it is stupid, but not racist. Motivated reasoning is a hell of a thing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying. But don't governors also have to sign off on such a thing?

And the 2018 senate map looks pretty drat ugly too. It's way more important to take control of that than the House at this point.

I think that map is wrong and they only have complete control of 27 state legislatures

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

SourKraut posted:

I saw people legitimately posting on Facebook comments such as how they worked their way through school, bought a house, work hard, didn't take out thousands in student loans, etc, and that they support gays getting married and women having a choice, but that they supported Trump because they shouldn't have to give up their wealth to support those causes, or forgiving student loans, etc.

I've tried calling them out, but it always go back to people valuing money over everything else.

Yes, that's the value this country encourages over all others. A lot of people pay lipservice to other values though, so arguments should probably leverage those instead when possible.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SourKraut posted:

The best I've seen so far is that it's all "liberal lies" that Trump is anti-women's health and he never said he wants to overturn Roe V Wade.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Pollyanna posted:

From the looks of it we feel sorry for ourselves on the internet and post about how everything is guaranteed to be hosed and that nobody should bother do anything because Nazi America is inevitable.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

gently caress it, West Coast Secession please.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

I'm surprised Cook's November update has all the Dem-held seats as at least Lean D, even North Dakota, Indiana, and Missouri.

Wonder what's going to happen with Bob Menendez if his trial isn't resolved by then

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

You mean the KKK march that didn't actually happen?
http://www.snopes.com/klan-marches-celebrate-trump-victory/

The fabricated Hijab attack?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-donald-trump/

One of several ancedotal attacks with no evidence or even outright lies?
http://www.snopes.com/trump-supporters-beat-gay-man-in-california/
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/11/11/police-no-report-filed-in-alleged-election-night-assault-on-gay-man-by-trump-supporters/

Some of the things going are real, like the school chanting, but so are the videos of people beating Trump supporters and the Protests turning borderline riots against Trumps win.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
This is pretty deserved

http://pitchfork.com/news/69777-eagles-of-death-metals-jesse-hughes-denied-entry-to-stings-bataclan-show/

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

nessin posted:

Some of the things going are real, like the school chanting, but so are the videos of people beating Trump supporters and the Protests turning borderline riots against Trumps win.

One of these things is going to stop because there's no movement organizing it. The other is going to continue as long as Trump is in office.

So while there isn't smoking gun definitive evidence that poo poo is majorly hosed quite yet.. the trend seems real bad and like it's only a matter of time before lynching's are on the uptick.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

gently caress it, West Coast Secession please.

Yeah! gently caress minorities/LGBT people in red states who are to poor to move! So progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pollyanna posted:

Advice seems mainly to be "stop calling them racists."

• Locked thread