Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Irom posted:

Presentation of a state photo ID

Lots of states make you pay money for those. Plus they limit the hours of the DMV offices to make it even more difficult, stuff like being open 4 hours a day one day a week is not unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Clark is a Democratic time traveler from 1905

Also, Trumps main thing is loyalty and that's what he learned from Roy Cohn so if you don't think he's not going to reward someone with a powerful post then you are wrong.

I'm pretty sure he is going to put Clark in charge of Immigration and watch Democrats devour themselves

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The requirements to actually get the ID card in Wisconsin are ridiculous.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Irom posted:

I'd be fine to make it free. I don't agree with poll taxes, even though the argument paying for an ID to vote equates to a poll tax is a bit rich.

I mean, what % of people would honestly struggle to get a state photo ID? Probably fewer than the number of people who voted multiple times in states with lax voter ID laws
What percentage of people commit voter fraud such that you're willing to require the state to pay for, provide, and distribute state ID's so that people can vote without restriction?

Mnoba posted:

They were free already http://www.bringitwisconsin.com/, but ya make voting day a national holiday would help.

The time it takes is the annoying bit. Having them get printed out at the polling place if you don't have one seems like the thing to do.

citybeatnik posted:

Perhaps some kind of test to accompany it.

Blood test. Can't have people high on the pot voting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Irom posted:

I'd be fine to make it free. I don't agree with poll taxes, even though the argument paying for an ID to vote equates to a poll tax is a bit rich.

You are specifically arguing that in order to vote, people should have to get an id. Under the current system, getting an ID costs money in most areas. You are requiring people to pay money for a vote. How is that any different from a poll tax?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The requirements to actually get the ID card in Wisconsin are ridiculous.

What are they? Isn't it just a drivers or state id?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Admiral Ray posted:

Blood test. Can't have people high on the pot voting.

Seems legit. And of course we'll bill the state if it turns out that we were wrong and nobody's actually, you know, doing that poo poo.

*EDIT*

Monaghan posted:

You are specifically arguing that in order to vote, people should have to get an id. Under the current system, getting an ID costs money in most areas. You are requiring people to pay money for a vote. How is that any different from a poll tax?

It's almost as if they are not, in fact, arguing in good faith.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
lol that we're all still fighting the same fight

i get that minorities are worried that white people will sell them out the minute they have their economic security. i can totally see that

but it also needs to be said that the working class is equally worried about the Democrats because we've been promising economic reform and instead actually became comically more and more corporatist.

both vital groups are distrustful of the democratic party for the same reason and they're both right to be.

but no one wants one or the other. we want BOTH. and REAL policy that is actually fought for for BOTH.

this can't be economic populism with "oh yeah, minorities too i guess"

but it also can just be pluralism with a light sprinkling of "lets lie to the racists about bringing their jobs back, lol"

we need both and they both need to be equally real.

the Democrats have very little credibility with anyone especially the same populations whose suffering has only increased over the last 30 years.

strength in unity. real policy.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Number Two Stunna posted:

I think we need to make life for white men a living hell until Trump is no longer president. Next time you see a white man, get in his face, tell him that he's about to hear the voice of the people he's oppressed, and scream as loud as you can. If white men are confronted by screaming POC, womxn, and LGBT+ at every turn, they will be forced to face our pain and reconsider their own oppressive behaviour.

Jesus I almost fell for this, i need to get off the forums for a bit.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

RaySmuckles posted:

i get that minorities are worried that white people will sell them out the minute they have their economic security. i can totally see that

They're worried about it because that's literally happened in the past.

But, yeah, something LBJ-esque where you're out pitching the Great Society to the hillbillies/rednecks without saying 'yeah this'll help POC too' too loudly might be a good start.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

Seems legit. And of course we'll bill the state if it turns out that we were wrong and nobody's actually, you know, doing that poo poo.

*EDIT*

It's almost as if they are not, in fact, arguing in good faith.

To be clear, I think the state ID requirement is stupid, but if states require one then either the feds or the state need to be the ones that ensure that everyone has one free of cost, rather than people having to seek them out to get one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Monaghan posted:

I'll tell you how it's different: a poll tax would be legit a lot less hassle than voter id is. That's what's so hosed up about it.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

citybeatnik posted:

Are we basing this off of actual reality or off of joke posts from Twitt-oh gently caress you got me.

didn't we agree? you should have to prove your identity to vote. voter fraud is easy to prevent and we should prevent it.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mnoba posted:

Jesus I almost fell for this, i need to get off the forums for a bit.

I'm dead serious. It's the only way they will hear our voice.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Irom posted:

didn't we agree? you should have to prove your identity to vote. voter fraud is easy to prevent and we should prevent it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMD_W_r3Fg

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I think we need to make life for white men a living hell until Trump is no longer president. Next time you see a white man, get in his face, tell him that he's about to hear the voice of the people he's oppressed, and scream as loud as you can. If white men are confronted by screaming POC, womxn, and LGBT+ at every turn, they will be forced to face our pain and reconsider their own oppressive behaviour.

In Milwaukee, no less.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Irom posted:

I mean, what % of people would honestly struggle to get a state photo ID? Probably fewer than the number of people who voted multiple times in states with lax voter ID laws

Considering you there's no proof that the latter even happens outside of an insignificant number of cases I'd say the former is many orders of magnitude larger.

Irom posted:

Every investigation of voter fraud shows it's not actually a problem though. Ergo there is no reason to prevent it.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

I guess I'll just have to buy some earplugs. Thanks for the advice.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Irom posted:

we already do, in non voter id states at least

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

They're worried about it because that's literally happened in the past.

But, yeah, something LBJ-esque where you're out pitching the Great Society to the hillbillies/rednecks without saying 'yeah this'll help POC too' too loudly might be a good start.

see, but this response right here is part of the problem.

YES, minorities HAVE ABSOLUTELY been taken advantage of in the past and it has RIGHTFULLY made them skeptical.

but the working class HAS ALSO been lied to by the Democrats FOR DECADES and they are EQUALLY RIGHT to be skeptical.

they've BOTH been lied to, BOTH been taken advantage of, and BOTH seen their quality of life plummet.

stop pretending that either one has a monopoly on suffering or betrayal.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

We won in 2006 and 2008 and the Republicans gerrymandered in 2000 , didn't they?

Is the 2010 gerrymander worse than that?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

RaySmuckles posted:

YES, minorities HAVE ABSOLUTELY been taken advantage of in the past and it has RIGHTFULLY made them skeptical.

but the working class HAS ALSO been lied to by the Democrats FOR DECADES and they are EQUALLY RIGHT to be skeptical.

they've BOTH been lied to, BOTH been taken advantage of, and BOTH seen their quality of life plummet.

What? That was literally LBJ's strategy for the Great Society. I wasn't smack talking it, I was applauding it. It set up a societal safety net that helped everyone.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

Yes but the difference is the white working class would eagerly poo poo on their plate and eat it as long as that meant they could make black Americans eat it too. That and, you know, the systematic suffering of people of color being way, way worse than anything white people have ever dealt with.

What is your proposal for helping both while also keeping that from happening?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

What? That was literally LBJ's strategy for the Great Society. I wasn't smack talking it, I was applauding it. It set up a societal safety net that helped everyone.

sorry, i was mostly railing against your first sentence. the need to keep bringing up "minorities don't trust whites!" as though the answer is "ok, we'll gently caress over whites to show how serious we are"

especially after statements about how we need to focus on BOTH.

but you're right. lets make that clear, YOU'RE RIGHT

that last part is totally true

citybeatnik posted:

this part. is right. sorry.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes but the difference is the white working class would eagerly poo poo on their plate and eat it as long as that meant they could make black Americans eat it too. That and, you know, the systematic suffering of people of color being way, way worse than anything white people have ever dealt with.

Pulling an LBJ and lying to them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

We won in 2006 and 2008 and the Republicans gerrymandered in 2000 , didn't they?

It's is the post election panic where the party that lost is DOOMED and can never win again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

Pulling an LBJ and lying to them.

But then we just get reamed in the following midterms and have to deal with 2010 all over again, except worse.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

i don't believe anyone has a monopoly on suffering. qualifying people's suffering is hosed up and wrong. the poor west virginian whites who are watching their communities crumble around them and their friends die from drugs, crime, and poverty are just as suffering as people of color experiencing the same thing. and its ALSO systematic.

the key is leadership. packaging both together and having the party guide its constituents. strength and commitment.

you know, all the things the democrats are good at (lol)

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

RaySmuckles posted:

i don't believe anyone has a monopoly on suffering. qualifying people's suffering is hosed up and wrong. the poor west virginian whites who are watching their communities crumble around them and their friends die from drugs, crime, and poverty are just as suffering as people of color experiencing the same thing. and its ALSO systematic.

the key is leadership. packaging both together and having the party guide its constituents. strength and commitment.

you know, all the things the democrats are good at (lol)

The point is not that one particular group has a monopoly on suffering. It's that one group would rather keep suffering than let someone possibly do as well as they are.

It's the whole "in the north, they don't care how far you rise as long as you don't get too close, in the south they don't care how close you get as long as you don't rise too far" thing in action.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In 2008, McCain tried to present himself as against illegal immigration, but his words were hollow, because he had supported the "path to citizenship" strategy. In 2012, Mitt Romney presented himself as against illegal immigration, but he argued that if we just make sure that illegal immigrants are banned from applying from jobs, they'll self-deport. People knew he came from the pro-illegal immigration establishment wing of the Republican party and was just saying that as election rhetoric. So, people could vote for those elections with illegal immigration off the table as an issue to consider. In 2016, Hillary Clinton acted like she just found out about the problem with H1B visa and pretended for a little bit that she might do something about it.

This has been the only year that illegal immigration has been a major issue, without a candidate with a background that looks like the issue might be moot. People against illegal immigration haven't ever gotten the opportunity to vote against it while voting for president. That is very strange in a country where 55% believe police should arrest illegal immigrants they encounter who have not broken any laws, and 63% believe businesses with illegal immigrant employees should be fined, among many other anti-illegal immigration statistics. As a progressive when it comes to every other issue, maybe next election cycle, Democrats won't defend it while openly listing "the demographics will favor our party" as a point in the "support" column.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 13, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

The point is not that one particular group has a monopoly on suffering. It's that one group would rather keep suffering than let someone possibly do as well as they are.

It's the whole "in the north, they don't care how far you rise as long as you don't get too close, in the south they don't care how close you get as long as you don't rise too far" thing in action.

i don't believe that things always remain static.

things are considerably different than they were last time progressive policies were advocated/implemented.

these day the working class struggle has never be more real/similar. everyone needs economic assistance. the people holding us down are nakedly visible. the targets are clear, the way forward never more illuminated.

of course the day the Democratic party ACTUALLY pushes leftist policy seriously will be the day i shave my neck beard and get out of my mothers basement.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

galenanorth posted:

In 2008, McCain tried to present himself as against illegal immigration, but his words were hollow, because he had supported the "path to citizenship" strategy. In 2012, Mitt Romney presented himself as against illegal immigration, but he argued that if we just make sure that illegal immigrants are banned from applying from jobs, they'll self-deport. People knew he came from the pro-illegal immigration establishment wing of the Republican party and was just saying that as election rhetoric. So, people could vote for those elections with illegal immigration off the table as an issue to consider. In 2016, Hillary Clinton acted like she just found out about the problem with H1B visa and pretended for a little bit that she might do something about it.

This has been the only year that illegal immigration has been a major issue, without a candidate with a background that looks like the issue might be moot. People against illegal immigration haven't ever gotten the opportunity to vote against it while voting for president. That is very strange in a country where 55% believe police should arrest illegal immigrants they encounter who have not broken any laws, and 63% believe businesses with illegal immigrant employees should be fined, among many other anti-illegal immigration statistics. As a progressive when it comes to every other issue, maybe next election cycle, Democrats won't defend it while openly listing "the demographics will favor our party" as a point in the "support" column.

So how do you operate against a 63% majority that holds a morally bankrupt political opinion without selling out and betraying the people victimized by that opinion?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This is why I commute in the quiet car.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Mendrian posted:

Possibly. I think it's two separate but very closely related arguments.

People who are saying racism/sexism is the biggest factor are making an argument about why people would want to live in a Trump universe. This argument supposes (and I agree with this argument) that the Trump election was not a standard election. That Trump (and his supporters) are some of the most racist and sexist jerks since the 1800's. If you believe this - or even any number of similar but lesser claims, to be honest - than you have to actively discount Trump's rhetoric and the views of his most vile supporters (who are numerous) in order to want to live in a world where Trump is president. That's what they're saying. It's not, "Joe Average walked to the polls and pulled the lever that's labeled gently caress MINORITIES", at least not in most cases. It's the idea that someone who is willing to bargain on ideological purity (Bernie supporters) or self-interest (rural white voters) against the actual lives and welfare of minorities. That's the argument. That someone has to be at least passively racist to make a choice like that.

The other argument - the populist argument we keep hearing - is that these people aren't racists, and I think that, you know, for most of them this is true in an impersonal kind of way. They don't wake up and do racist yoga and give racist handshakes to their racist friends, or take a conference call from the KKK every Tuesday. But it's the willing belief that nah, Trump can't do that much harm, or nah, things can't be that bad for minorities, or nah, my life and my family are more important than the lives of others (and that last argument is probably the most sympathetic) - those are racist thoughts! That's the definition of modern racism. It's like we don't believe in racism unless it's got a flag and a hood and a band playing behind it.

If you care so much about Social Justice you need the votes of rural whites to get anything done. Is having everyone thinking pure thoughts more important than making actual progress on Social Justice issues?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

And how many of those 300,000 intended to vote let alone actually tried? Not nearly as many as people who just stayed home for no real reason.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Mr Interweb posted:

The republicans had more statehouses in 2010, and the tools for demographic mapping for districts were significantly more advanced by 2010. Gerrymandering had always been an issue but 2010 and the tools available now have turned it into a loving art.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

axelord posted:

If you care so much about Social Justice you need the votes of rural whites to get anything done. Is having everyone thinking pure thoughts more important than making actual progress on Social Justice issues?

Not everything but it woulda been p. cool if Trump supporters wouldn't have voted for him over his wanting to ban Muslims entry into the US. Like they don't gotta have Pure Thoughts™ but little things like that would make it a bit better.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And how many of those 300,000 intended to vote let alone actually tried? Not nearly as many as people who just stayed home for no real reason.

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-gops-attack-on-voting-rights-was-the-most-under-covered-story-of-2016/

You tell me.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

The republicans had more statehouses in 2010, and the tools for demographic mapping for districts were significantly more advanced by 2010. Gerrymandering had always been an issue but 2010 and the tools available now have turned it into a loving art.

So it's very unlikely we'll be flipping the House in either 2018 or 2020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

No, they didn't gerrymander to the same degree (nor have the opportunity to do so) in 2000, Gore and Bush was close enough and at that point the country wasn't polarized anywhere near as much as it is today. 2000 was a presidential year while 2010 was not.

2000 (pre-election): http://www.ncsl.org/documents/statevote/legiscontrol_1990_2000.pdf
2002 (pre-election): http://www.ncsl.org/documents/statevote/legiscontrol_2002_2014.pdf

2010 pre-election: http://www.ncsl.org/portals/1/ImageLibrary/WebImages/Elections/2010_Leg_Party_Control_map.gif
2011 post-election: http://www.ncsl.org/portals/1/ImageLibrary/WebImages/Elections/2011_Leg_Party_Control_map_.gif

2010 was absolutely horrible, lost the Rust Belt and NC.

• Locked thread