Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

bump_fn posted:

there should be a rule where u cant post in this thread if u haven't called your DNC person to yell about keith and gotten at least one other person to do so too

How do I find out who my DNC person is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Justin Tyme posted:

As someone who is a gun owning, left leaning but slightly nationalist dude from the midwest, if the future of the DNC looks anything like the atmosphere of this thread it actually makes me somewhat encouraged and excited.

It's time we had a real party for the people and ditch all this stupid crybaby college celebrity bullshit, and get rid of the Clintonite neoliberalism that only serves the rich elites.

yeahhhh, about that

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Princess Di posted:

Hillary did worse with every minority demographic than Obama.

This is a bad faith argument. That is willfully ignoring the fact that Hillary was never going to reach those numbers since Obama was the first black president in the history of the United States. Now if Hillary's team believed they were going to do that, then that is yet another major gently caress up. Our turnout was very much in line with what is expected from a winning democratic candidate.

Also really? You are going to talk about 8 percent of the black vote when we make up 13 percent of the population when 63 percent of white men voted for Trump and of those that remained many didn't care for him but didn't find blatant racism disgusting enough to get them to vote against it?

At what point do middle class white people take responsibility for the personal antipathy that led them to just sit this one out.

If we are going to acknowledge the rust belt's part in this, where is the admission that the poor descendants of steel workers did not do this alone?

As a Muslim, I'm saying this: She blew it on the Muslim / Arab vote and could have done much better if she actually had some actions or policy that assisted American Muslims for real. 85% voted in MI voted for Obama in 2012, 63%~ for Clinton, the majority of the remainder going to third parties, and one of the reasons for that is that Sanders straight up addressed the concerns of Muslim-Americans without tying them to fighting ISIS. After he lost, Clinton never did anything to pick these votes back up, and every time she tried to address something she managed to hamhock it up.

While liberals were all patting themselves on the back because she brought "THE GOLD STAR PARENTS!!!" on stage, Muslims were seeing that Bloomberg - who put into place one of the most awful domestic spying programs against U.S. Muslims - was being given a platform at the DNC, Clinton and Trump both talked about Muslims as narcs whose job was to ferret out domestic terrorists, etc.

I literally had one guy upset at me because "She put the Khans on stage!!! How can you say she wasn't doing enough?"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

snakeandbake posted:

Am I out of touch?? No, it's the voters who are wrong.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

As a Muslim, I'm saying this: She blew it on the Muslim / Arab vote and could have done much better if she actually had some actions or policy that assisted American Muslims for real. 85% voted in MI voted for Obama in 2012, 63%~ for Clinton, the majority of the remainder going to third parties, and one of the reasons for that is that Sanders straight up addressed the concerns of Muslim-Americans without tying them to fighting ISIS. After he lost, Clinton never did anything to pick these votes back up, and every time she tried to address something she managed to hamhock it up.

While liberals were all patting themselves on the back because she brought "THE GOLD STAR PARENTS!!!" on stage, Muslims were seeing that Bloomberg - who put into place one of the most awful domestic spying programs against U.S. Muslims - was being given a platform at the DNC, Clinton and Trump both talked about Muslims as narcs whose job was to ferret out domestic terrorists, etc.

I literally had one guy upset at me because "She put the Khans on stage!!! How can you say she wasn't doing enough?"

I'd also add that her desire to appease Netanyahu probably doesn't help either, let alone many of the 'allies in the middle east' who are bombing the poo poo out of Yemen and various other proxy wars the US has assisted with arms sales. IIRC, Obama has sold more weapons to Saudi Arabia than any previous president.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The way I've started summarizing the question of relating economic justice and social justice is, broadly, "class/economic status/urban vs rural upbringing are identities too".

Or, when I'm feeling more strident: there is no social justice. There is no economic justice. There is only justice, and we ignore any of the thousand faces of injustice at our peril because those who face that injustice will not forget our ignorance.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Concordat posted:

How do I find out who my DNC person is?

Are you in NY?

I DON'T FUCKIN KNOW I STILL CAN"T FIND IT

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Grondoth posted:

Are you in NY?

I DON'T FUCKIN KNOW I STILL CAN"T FIND IT

lol almost like they did this on purpose!!

have you tried searching linkedin?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Holy gently caress.

Neeksy posted:

I'd also add that her desire to appease Netanyahu probably doesn't help either, let alone many of the 'allies in the middle east' who are bombing the poo poo out of Yemen and various other proxy wars the US has assisted with arms sales. IIRC, Obama has sold more weapons to Saudi Arabia than any previous president.

Remember when she wrote an op-ed for the Jerusalem Post, where she expressed a personal commitment to Netanyahu? lmao. Zero difference between her and Trump on I/P.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Kissinger not endorsing was what really did Hillary in, imo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ThndrShk2k posted:

I call this: Woke 2 :ssj:

:eyepop:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
great candidate, A+ work

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/797186495840915461

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

This is like the Nate Silver journey if you think about it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Remember when she wrote an op-ed for the Jerusalem Post, where she expressed a personal commitment to Netanyahu? lmao. Zero difference between her and Trump on I/P.

Remember when this came on the heels of Bernie having the gall to identify palestinians as actual human beings who deserve to be thought of as such lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If Gary Johnson being pretty much the only reason she didn't lose Minnesota of all places doesn't tell you how badly she hosed up in the midwest, nothing will.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Dems need to co-opt the Trump "rigged" message and the Drain the Swamp poo poo. The system fucks the poor, and it fucks people of color just for existing. Everyone needs to come together to break it. The Clintons couldn't break the system because they were the system. Trump won't break the system because he wants so desperately to be respected by it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

jackofarcades posted:

Dems need to co-opt the Trump "rigged" message and the Drain the Swamp poo poo.

Uh...

Trump coopted that from Bernie.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lastgirl and baloogy

we still doing another movie tonight? past 10 est

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Could the Dems help Trump pass his plan for getting lobbyists out?

I would feel very conflicted about this.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

comingafteryouall posted:

Could the Dems help Trump pass his plan for getting lobbyists out?

I would feel very conflicted about this.

I wouldn't.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Ceyton posted:

yeahhhh, about that

this makes me worried, they are going to make the same mistake in 2020 it not even funny.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

oh yeah, since we're doing minority voting shares, the latino decisions people who were predicting stronger clinton numbers than a lot of other polls have criticised the exit poll crosstab the 'better than romney' claim is based on. i haven't scrutinised it myself

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

In a consumer economy like ours more people here = more people buying stuff = more people who need to be serviced and so on. It's not hard to figure out if you know basic economics, but it's easy just to yell that it's [insert out group here] trying to gently caress you over. All the normal reasons one might restrict immigration such as space and resources don't really apply to us since we still have insane amounts of space and generate basically infinite wealth.

One of the things fueling racial resentment is low income minority families gravitate towards cheap to live places IE rural America. Then an insane orange racist flies in on his plane and tells you it's the non-whites who are to blame.

But okay so if one million new working class immigrants created one million new working class jobs that'd be great but the fact that new (especially poor) immigrants are disproportionately unemployed and the fact that the working class isn't swimming in new jobs created by but not occupied by immigrants suggests that this is not the case, and that one million new immigrants makes less than one million new jobs, which in turn means that the labor market ends up with more new labor than outlets for than new labor making it hurt working class jobs. Does that make sense?

Like my feeling is that the working class is being pressured between globalization taking jobs away and new immigrants requiring more jobs and probably both of those things should be looked at with regards to giving them more breathing room.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

If Gary Johnson being pretty much the only reason she didn't lose Minnesota of all places doesn't tell you how badly she hosed up in the midwest, nothing will.

These words need to be chiseled into the walls at DNC HQ.

e:

zen death robot posted:

I've seen it a lot from certain posters but for gods sake if you live on the coasts stop looking down your noses on those of us that live in the Midwest. Yeah sure living in California would be great but the cost of living difference makes moving there prohibitive and I don't really want to be that far from my family even if they infuriate me from time to time

Minnesota is an alright place, come visit and stay awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm-MrkoJPC8

:3:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

zen death robot posted:

I've seen it a lot from certain posters but for gods sake if you live on the coasts stop looking down your noses on those of us that live in the Midwest. Yeah sure living in California would be great but the cost of living difference makes moving there prohibitive and I don't really want to be that far from my family even if they infuriate me from time to time

we should have someone pay to have flyover state word filter to I AM A RISH rear end in a top hat WHO FORCE THE POOR TO VOTE IN A FACIST.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/chuchugoogoo/status/797543607230144512

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:drat:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i kind of pity her in a tragic sort of way, she acted like she had the keys already, was doing it for woman and everyone and was fighting a orange goblin who raped kids, only to fall becuase she thought the people who voted for obama in 2012 and 2008 would of voted for her too.

but now we are doom to 4 years of poo poo and if the DNC don't wake the gently caress up it gonna be 8.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Neoliberals say 'shut up, globalization is good for the economy' and they're probably not even wrong, but that total of improvement is like the sum of a diffuse improvement for lots of people because cheaper goods makes their money go further, a concentrated improvement for rich investor classes and a concentrated negative for all the working class people who have been seeing their jobs disappear faster than they can adapt to that. And even something that is overall a positive isn't actually worth it if it's a balance of bad and good but the negative side falls on people who are already struggling.

I'm inclined to think immigration is actually very similar to that; a thing that's overall good but the downsides fall on people who don't need extra hardship.

e: I don't think people talk enough about whether immigration hurts the working class because it's easier to just sneer 'racist' instead and I hope this election teaches people to stop doing that.

lazorexplosion has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Nov 13, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lazorexplosion posted:

Neoliberals say 'shut up, globalization is good for the economy' and they're probably not even wrong, but that total of improvement is like the sum of a diffuse improvement for lots of people because cheaper goods makes their money go further, a concentrated improvement for rich investor classes and a concentrated negative for all the working class people who have been seeing their jobs disappear faster than they can adapt to that. And even something that is overall a positive isn't actually worth it if it's a balance of bad and good but the negative side falls on people who are already struggling.

I'm inclined to think immigration is actually very similar to that; a thing that's overall good but the downsides fall on people who don't need extra hardship.

The reason why they fall on people who don't need it is because there hasn't been any actual real help put towards them. During all the mass periods of trade boost/immigration have had R controlled congresses and/or senates (or presidents!) blocking any sort of redistribution effort. Adding to that if your someone who lives in a big coastal city trade and exports/imports can often be super important for your economy.

EDIT: It also doesn't help that all these midwest states have Republican state governments either.

Venom Snake has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Nov 13, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

The reason why they fall on people who don't need it is because there hasn't been any actual real help put towards them. During all the mass periods of trade boost/immigration have had R controlled congresses and/or senates (or presidents!) blocking any sort of redistribution effort. Adding to that if your someone who lives in a big coastal city trade and exports/imports can often be super important for your economy.

I feel skeptical towards this attitude because demo party has never actually agitated towards economic justice or the poor, in living memory and simply coasted on their laurels and the excuse that republicans block them (even when they never even tried).

(Like I know you are young but I got at least a decade on you and Trump has nothing on that day I saw 9/11 for traumatic days)

Grognan has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Nov 13, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

LBJ tried and Nixon was the response. It's been downhill since then.

Kinda feel Reaghon was the great satan though, Nixon got sunk.

Edit: Nixon becomes the excuse instead of the cause

Grognan has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Nov 13, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zen death robot posted:

LBJ tried and Nixon was the response. It's been downhill since then.

To be fair, Nixon was a building force for a decade prior to 1968 and his election was a lot more about Vietnam than The Great Society.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Remember when we laughed about Eric Cantor losing to a guy that never held a political job in his life? Democrats should primary every corporatist democrat (hint: everyone that didn't bail from the DNC to support Sanders). This is how you fix and energize the democratic party.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the list of post-eisenhower republican presidents is a real doozy

nixon, ford, reagan, HW, bush, trump

ford and HW are the only ones that aren't outright laughable and ford is only there because nixon had to resign, while bush had one term

trump maps decently onto nixon + reagan + bush

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grognan posted:

I feel skeptical towards this attitude because demo party has never actually agitated towards economic justice or the poor, in living memory and simply coasted on their laurels and the excuse that republicans block them (even when they never even tried).

(Like I know you are young but I got at least a decade on you and Trump has nothing on that day I saw 9/11 for traumatic days)

In the 90's Dems lurched to the right in response to massive Republican gains made during the Clinton admin which is where third wasyism comes from. Then later on you had blue dogs. So yeah you are correct that in the past two decades them dems haven't really been big champions of the working class but it's not like the GOP hasn't been cutting benefits in the mean time.

The dilemma facing the United States right now is the majority of the population lives on the coasts/in cities but proportionally has less power. Dems won the votes for the Presidency, senate and house but control none of those now. The protests are only going to get worse because people are tired of their vote not mattering and getting hosed over by a government that has no mandate. The modern DNC is going to need to draw off midwestern voters without pissing off it's coastal base.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hilario Baldness posted:

Remember when we laughed about Eric Cantor losing to a guy that never held a political job in his life? Democrats should primary every corporatist democrat (hint: everyone that didn't bail from the DNC to support Sanders). This is how you fix and energize the democratic party.

People laughed because the Freedom Caucus crazies are a literal ball and chain around their legislative efforts. It's not something you want for yourself.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's be honest though. Do you really care what anyone from LA or Portland thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I don't think we can map Trump onto anything prior because he is the only president who has had zero government experience at any level. Nixon was a cunning political animal who would have got away with it if it weren't for a piece of tape. Reagan was a charming idiot who took a lovely Carter economy and made it not so lovely. (Or, rather, the people he had working for him did.) W was also a rather charming idiot who lucked into 9/11 making him infallible because of patriotism. Trump is coming in with a not so awful economy, with no political savvy, and (inshallah) no terrorist attacks to make people stand together.

• Locked thread