Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really like the map changes that are in the beta patch.

I'm thinking of trying a game as Tunis out Morocco - is there anything special I need to know or do? I haven't played since before Mare Nostrum, can't North African raid now, somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They can do coastal raids against non-Muslim nations, which pays tons of gold and.. Sailors.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really like the map changes that are in the beta patch.

I'm thinking of trying a game as Tunis out Morocco - is there anything special I need to know or do? I haven't played since before Mare Nostrum, can't North African raid now, somehow?

The only thing to be aware of is the strait between Ceuta and Gibraltar. That can really mess you up as morocco

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

THE BAR posted:

They can do coastal raids against non-Muslim nations, which pays tons of gold and.. Sailors.

It also loots the coastal provinces so somewhat fucks up the raided nation's economy

And yeah, lol sailors.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 12, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Phone double post woohoo

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

It also looks the coastal provinces so somewhat fucks up the raided nation's economy

And yeah, lol sailors.

"sailors" for the "sailor" trade.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

"sailors" for the "sailor" trade.

Well that and the sailors mechanic is completely unimportant 99% of the time. It only matters for a few years when you first get coastline and are building a navy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baron Corbyn posted:

No, I'm not. It might work out that way if you siege down a bunch of stuff and don't hand it over?

Probably that, the AI goes "welp, I've got all the provinces I want that aren't occupied by the PC and have some surplus warscore".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BigRoman posted:

I love this game, but every time I play a Catholic nation I tell myself I will not try to be the Emperor.

Then I start to covet Burgundian lands and vassal swarms and I do it. I spend the next 50 years fighting tons of wars and everyone gets pissed off at me for doing my job even though I've granted them independence 3 times. Then I realize holy poo poo, forcing them to return 1 lousy province via unlawful territory results in a 15 year truce, so they just gobble up their neighbors. Then the reformation hits and I get lucky because the center spawns in a OPM and I waste an idea slot on religious ideas and start conquering vast swaths of land and pissing everyone off so that I can convert the rest as they pop up and I do okay, but I don't have the manpower to curtail Ottoman expansion. Then the reformation branches out in Magdeburg and I go to attack it, to force convert, but I can't because although its a OPM, the official state religion is still Catholic despite being a reformed center of reformation for the last 15 years and if I take any more land all of germany, great britain, and poland (with Lithuania) will join a coalition. So I sit there like a jerk while province after province is converted, because apparently Magedburg was populated entirely by the greatest missionaries the world has ever seen. Then I quit and say to myself I should've left the Empire the moment I inherited Burgundy.

And no, I won't become a filthy protestant.

tl;dr: this game is great and if there was a 12 step program for avoiding German politics I would join it.

Step one is to admit you are French have a problem.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think they need to give Native Americans another overhaul. It really sucks that native councils are just lovely monarchies where you can't see your heir. Also it's dumb that "primitives" can't embrace institutions by themselves.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I would also like that colonizing north america and getting a CN border with a native nation didn't trigger a chain reaction in which all the institutions spread like wildfire from the CN into the bordering natives, turning them all into civilized nations in a very short period of time so that primitive conquest CB no longer applies to them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
not to worry, they removed the primitive conquest CB in 1.19 :negative:

MrBling posted:

Unless I missed something for 1.19 it has been tied to the Steppe Nomad government type for a couple of patches now.

yeah they changed it more in 1.19.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm a complete idiot, where do I find the lines to edit to get more than 800 points for nation designer? They're probably somewhere in the defines file yes? :saddowns:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah they are, somewhere at the bottom. Just ctrl+f for "nation designer" and you should find the relevant section.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
After playing with the new fort systems for a while... gotta say I really don't like it. It manages to have a whole bunch of new inconsistencies (hopping over to neutral territory to completely bypass poo poo, for instance) while basically ruining any chance of strategic depth in all but the largest nations, and dramatically reduces the utility of the wasteland mountains they just added. Losing free access within your own territory if you share an area with an enemy that has a fort of their own in it too is also very annoying.

The old system had its flaws but in like 95% of situations was pretty alright. The big issue was random funkery for lots of small teams i.e. in the HRE which is admittedly pretty relevant to this game but dear god I'd take it back over this new stuff.

half price seems like a good change though, I am actually making the things again now. Just not for their ability to block movement.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Step one is to admit you are French have a problem.

get out of my head.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Koramei posted:

After playing with the new fort systems for a while... gotta say I really don't like it. It manages to have a whole bunch of new inconsistencies (hopping over to neutral territory to completely bypass poo poo, for instance) while basically ruining any chance of strategic depth in all but the largest nations, and dramatically reduces the utility of the wasteland mountains they just added. Losing free access within your own territory if you share an area with an enemy that has a fort of their own in it too is also very annoying.

The old system had its flaws but in like 95% of situations was pretty alright. The big issue was random funkery for lots of small teams i.e. in the HRE which is admittedly pretty relevant to this game but dear god I'd take it back over this new stuff.

half price seems like a good change though, I am actually making the things again now. Just not for their ability to block movement.

Yeah having a mountain chokepoint with a fort on it is nice... but then they walk over that and onto the grassland and welp your super defensive fort is useless because they can block you from getting to it while holding the favorable terrain by reason of some random provinces being grouped together as a "state". Seems like a big bunch of crap to me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, that too.

When I read the twitter posts and so on on it I liked the sound of it since it seemed a lot more intuitive- zone of control for areas (that are now easily delineated on the map!) is really simple. But in practice it's really not any simpler either, and the draw backs are huge.

Honestly I hope they just revert it. 1.18 forts were in a pretty okay spot. Making it so you can't pass between two adjacent forts as an attacker would be nice but even that I can live without.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Koramei posted:

Honestly I hope they just revert it. 1.18 forts were in a pretty okay spot. Making it so you can't pass between two adjacent forts as an attacker would be nice but even that I can live without.

If it weren't for the issue whjere the AI would seemingly just ignore it in the HRE, yeah.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Beamed posted:

If it weren't for the issue whjere the AI would seemingly just ignore it in the HRE, yeah.

Or, in a good number of cases, outside the HRE. It was a good system if/when the AI actually followed it. Haven't played with the new rules yet, though, so I can't really complain about them changing it yet.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Any way to speed up army reinforcements beyond hiring advisers and tech bonuses? A war puts me out of commission for like half a decade and leaves me vulnerable.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

snoremac posted:

Any way to speed up army reinforcements beyond hiring advisers and tech bonuses? A war puts me out of commission for like half a decade and leaves me vulnerable.

Use more mercs.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Sometimes you just gotta take a few loans, go over your force limits with mercs, and bet on making up the cost in spoils of war. Learning that it's okay to just go hard on loans really changed how I play

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you mean manpower recovery, plutocratic and quantity idea groups both have +20% recovery ideas. Having high army tradition, as well as having a strong and happy noble estate helps a lot. You can also increase your maximum manpower to increase the rate, since the base rate is equal to 1/10 of your max per year. Also,

Tsyni posted:

Use more mercs.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I haven't touched loans (except a couple of times where I went bankrupt and auto-loaned) or mercs so I'll give it a try if there's a sticky situation. I feel dirty taking loans though. I hate the interest penalty.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's not going bankrupt. Bankruptcy is when you can't take anymore loans.

And loans really aren't that scary. Running a deficit isn't the end of the world. Aggressive use of loans is a great way to get ahead.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah after you go bankrupt a few times you'll get a feel for when you're loaning too much but your leeway is really big.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I still hate taking loans, but going a couple deep isn't the end of the world. I usually make half my infantry at least mercs, or whatever I can afford at the start of the game when money is usually tighter. You'll notice a drastic difference in manpower.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I took 25 loans, hired a bunch of mercs, and went to war against Netherlands and their ally France. I managed to get the warscore up to 50% before they got wise to my naval superiority and snuck up on me with a joined fleet, destroying my own. I was lucky that the AI enemy units were doing weird nonsense like repeatedly walking between two provinces. If they'd all joined up as one mega-army they would've annihilated me but they were content to wander aimlessly between provinces while I made siege after siege.

In the end it was hardly worth it since all the territory I wanted was unlawful and it would've angered Austria, my big ally I don't want to lose, if I took them. I took a whole bunch of North American provinces and rebels rose up immediately. I'm running a deficit even after disbanding the mercs, particularly because of a double-figure spike in colonial maintenance I can't explain - presumably some of those provinces I took are still colonies but I haven't looked yet. I had the greatest navy in the world and now I don't have a navy. Army's drained. Huge debts. Rough times ahead.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Have vassals always been able to reject annexation in the middle of the process? I was at like 600 points out of 1000 and I didn't even get a refund :(

Vassal feeding is kind of a frustrating strategy now - it feels like it's way too easy for liberty desire to balloon up and there's no great way to bring it down again. Once you get to that point, you're just stuck with a couple of disloyal vassals forever with no options other than releasing them as vassals and re-annexing them the hard way. I guess the moral of the story is to take Influence ideas if you want to play the vassal game, because it doesn't even seem possible without them.

And now all these rear end in a top hat rivals have hit dip tech 21 and are keeping me in permanent Sabotage Reputation state, so I can look forward to being -3 dip rep for the rest of the game

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

snoremac posted:

I took 25 loans, hired a bunch of mercs, and went to war against Netherlands and their ally France. I managed to get the warscore up to 50% before they got wise to my naval superiority and snuck up on me with a joined fleet, destroying my own. I was lucky that the AI enemy units were doing weird nonsense like repeatedly walking between two provinces. If they'd all joined up as one mega-army they would've annihilated me but they were content to wander aimlessly between provinces while I made siege after siege.

In the end it was hardly worth it since all the territory I wanted was unlawful and it would've angered Austria, my big ally I don't want to lose, if I took them. I took a whole bunch of North American provinces and rebels rose up immediately. I'm running a deficit even after disbanding the mercs, particularly because of a double-figure spike in colonial maintenance I can't explain - presumably some of those provinces I took are still colonies but I haven't looked yet. I had the greatest navy in the world and now I don't have a navy. Army's drained. Huge debts. Rough times ahead.

Situations like this, you take like one French province as a foothold onto the continent, maybe force them to break alliances to weaken them for a follow up war and then use the rest of your warscore emptying out their wallet which you can use to pay off your war loans. Gotta conquer within your means.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Eej posted:

Situations like this, you take like one French province as a foothold onto the continent, maybe force them to break alliances to weaken them for a follow up war and then use the rest of your warscore emptying out their wallet which you can use to pay off your war loans. Gotta conquer within your means.

I took their money, got reparations, and forced them to break the alliance with France. I also already hold Calais, which I took earlier from Brabant, so I directly border Netherlands and France. I've got 10 years of truce to hopefully get my finances, military and navy back in shape and then I'll have another crack at them if France aren't their ally again.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Prop Wash posted:

Have vassals always been able to reject annexation in the middle of the process? I was at like 600 points out of 1000 and I didn't even get a refund :(

Vassal feeding is kind of a frustrating strategy now - it feels like it's way too easy for liberty desire to balloon up and there's no great way to bring it down again. Once you get to that point, you're just stuck with a couple of disloyal vassals forever with no options other than releasing them as vassals and re-annexing them the hard way. I guess the moral of the story is to take Influence ideas if you want to play the vassal game, because it doesn't even seem possible without them.

And now all these rear end in a top hat rivals have hit dip tech 21 and are keeping me in permanent Sabotage Reputation state, so I can look forward to being -3 dip rep for the rest of the game

The annexation rejection thing is a 1.19 beta bug unless I'm mistaken.

E:

To elaborate, they added a new feature where a vassal will pause integrating when their provinces are occupied in a war. However it is bugged in 2 ways; it stops the annexation outright rather than pausing it, and it also applies to rebels, so if a rebel pops in your vassal and occupies any provinces then annexation stops.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 13, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't think the AI understand the fort system in 1.19. I'm watching Pomerania defeat Brandenburg because Brandenburg are going back and fore between the two same provinces and singing them down before immediately losing them to the fort in the area.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm not sure if it's related to the new fort system but I'm finding my shattered armies are often only retreating to the next province over and getting ganked again. Pretty annoying for losing extra manpower and warscore.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I don't think the AI understand the fort system in 1.19. I'm watching Pomerania defeat Brandenburg because Brandenburg are going back and fore between the two same provinces and singing them down before immediately losing them to the fort in the area.

Well it's an open beta for a reason. If things are still this hosed up in 2 weeks then we may have a problem :v:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm not sure if this was 1.19 -- it was whatever the main version was yesterday -- but yesterday I had 3 AI do this exact thing during a war, just moving back and forth between two provinces.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

snoremac posted:

I'm not sure if this was 1.19 -- it was whatever the main version was yesterday -- but yesterday I had 3 AI do this exact thing during a war, just moving back and forth between two provinces.

Did you opt into the beta? If not you're playing 1.18 still.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

From playing around with this game and a burgundy one in 1.19, the AI loves to march toward your unfortified "backend" areas.

I've run roughshod over multiple armies getting caught in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How did they even get there? You've got every border province covered by multiple forts and they don't seem to have any transports around.

• Locked thread