Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hilario Baldness posted:

Remember when we laughed about Eric Cantor losing to a guy that never held a political job in his life? Democrats should primary every corporatist democrat (hint: everyone that didn't bail from the DNC to support Sanders). This is how you fix and energize the democratic party.

People laughed because the Freedom Caucus crazies are a literal ball and chain around their legislative efforts. It's not something you want for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's be honest though. Do you really care what anyone from LA or Portland thinks.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I don't think we can map Trump onto anything prior because he is the only president who has had zero government experience at any level. Nixon was a cunning political animal who would have got away with it if it weren't for a piece of tape. Reagan was a charming idiot who took a lovely Carter economy and made it not so lovely. (Or, rather, the people he had working for him did.) W was also a rather charming idiot who lucked into 9/11 making him infallible because of patriotism. Trump is coming in with a not so awful economy, with no political savvy, and (inshallah) no terrorist attacks to make people stand together.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
There are plenty of working class people and undocumented immigrants in LA and the surrounding areas we should talk to, yes

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

People laughed because the Freedom Caucus crazies are a literal ball and chain around their legislative efforts. It's not something you want for yourself.

That broad movement energized them to a majority control of nearly every lever of power of government in the United States. They did so as a reaction to the neoliberal disaster of mixing politics with finance/mercantile capital. If you can craft a similar movement with the message around getting money out of politics to make an economic system that works for everyone, you have tangible good in this country. I have to say, I've genuinely enjoyed going back and forth with you, as I think we agree.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I don't think we can map Trump onto anything prior because he is the only president who has had zero government experience at any level. Nixon was a cunning political animal who would have got away with it if it weren't for a piece of tape. Reagan was a charming idiot who took a lovely Carter economy and made it not so lovely. (Or, rather, the people he had working for him did.) W was also a rather charming idiot who lucked into 9/11 making him infallible because of patriotism. Trump is coming in with a not so awful economy, with no political savvy, and (inshallah) no terrorist attacks to make people stand together.

This is true. Should also be noted that Nixon would easily be left of the modern day Democrats. He'd be against our protracted war and for environmental protection, neither of which you can say about Obama.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand Nixon sabotaged the peace talks to make his campaign easier

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

CheesyDog posted:

I talked about wondering how millennials were going to handle regression of social issues in one of these drat threads, and it's not looking good...

My campus's LGBT group has canceled their weekly bowling night, citing "safety concerns" following the election. Apparently a drunk Trump supporter cursed at them this week... thus causing a group of 15 people to feel too unsafe to bowl.

A lot of young people are going to have to harden the gently caress up and fast.

loving right. Leftists need to start becoming strong and big. Start lifting weights. Become physically large enough to intimidate assholes thinking of starting poo poo and physically powerful enough to restrain or pummel people who start poo poo regardless.

Think of the biggest rear end in a top hat you know. The most racist, misogynistic, xenophobic piece of turd in your life. Are they physically stronger than you? If they decided to hurt you, could you stop them? If they decided to hurt someone near you, could you stop them? Could you stop them without hurting them so bad the law got involved?

We must become stronger, inside and out. Being 'smart' is not enough. Look where being smart got us.

Being on the left is about the desire to protect people... and we failed to protect people from this. I don't want to fail again.

RiotGearEpsilon has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Nov 13, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

On the other hand Nixon sabotaged the peace talks to make his campaign easier

I'd still pick him over Hillary. I mean one of them is a single-minded opportunist only interested in amassing personal power to the total exclusion of all morality and values and the other is

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Thanks, anonymous mod.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

:stare:

how about instead we just tell liberals they need to harden the gently caress up

also, gun clubs because there is literally nothing scarier to conservatives or the ruling class like minorities/leftists that are well armed

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

Let's be honest though. Do you really care what anyone from LA or Portland thinks.

The East/West coast liberal base is a lot more than LA or Portland.

Fiction posted:

There are plenty of working class people and undocumented immigrants in LA and the surrounding areas we should talk to, yes

These people are on board with us on the social issues/most things in general. They will benefit a lot from more redistribution! But if were talking about taking back the midwest it's a different story.

Hilario Baldness posted:

That broad movement energized them to a majority control of nearly every lever of power of government in the United States. They did so as a reaction to the neoliberal disaster of mixing politics with finance/mercantile capital. If you can craft a similar movement with the message around getting money out of politics to make an economic system that works for everyone, you have tangible good in this country. I have to say, I've genuinely enjoyed going back and forth with you, as I think we agree.

I agree with you. We absolutely need a movement. But it's going to need to be a movement with a leader/leaders at the helm who avoid the constant infighting that's marked the GOP since 2010. Obama's Great (sellout) Deal was killed by insane Freedom Caucus people. I'm not saying that fate may await us, but it's still a lesson in not letting your party get away from itself.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only way for political force to succeed is if it's backed up by popular force and physical force. You don't have to state it. Just, much like the civil rights movement, you have to be prepared to fight when the chips are down instead of doing the Occupy thing where everyone just shrugs and goes home

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

In the 90's Dems lurched to the right in response to massive Republican gains made during the Clinton admin which is where third wasyism comes from. Then later on you had blue dogs. So yeah you are correct that in the past two decades them dems haven't really been big champions of the working class but it's not like the GOP hasn't been cutting benefits in the mean time.

The dilemma facing the United States right now is the majority of the population lives on the coasts/in cities but proportionally has less power. Dems won the votes for the Presidency, senate and house but control none of those now. The protests are only going to get worse because people are tired of their vote not mattering and getting hosed over by a government that has no mandate. The modern DNC is going to need to draw off midwestern voters without pissing off it's coastal base.

They might not have won poo poo because poo poo is not a fuckin poll and politics is not just PR.

The anger about your vote not mattering goes WAY deeper than just "my side did not win" its like there are no sides that actually give a poo poo and people are way into it also tend to polarize in strange and bizarre ways that have nothing to do with your life. And they attack you as a villain for things that you have no control over.

Start with some basic empathy for all people like that is encouraged by good old home-style non-evangelical Christianity at base and they tend to apply it from there for the people in their lives. Regardless of a lot of the reasons that people apply hate, think Mr. Rogers instead of megachurch prosperity. Mr. Rogers was part of my childhood and I was astounded to hear about his affiliation that he was religious at all when I had split from the mormons as a youth about the moral inconsistency about punishing gay couples for loving each other and not harming anyone.

When people get that basic empathy is a civil virtue it helps bridge those gaps but simply otherizing people that are suffering is obtuse at best and hypocritical at worst.

Being arbitrarily vilified for reasons that you cannot perceive as being justified and having nothing to do with you (because trying to keep the lights on is hard enough) tends to at least drive dislike.

I might not being supplying solutions but please take a breather and love your fellow person. Because they are all people, even the people you do not like.

This is a bit venty but I want to be positive tonight if a bit drunk.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Lol did SNL really open with Kate McKinnon doing an unironic Buckleyesque Hallelujah while dressed as Hillary?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

So this is maybe a bit off topic but gently caress it, I'm DRUUUNK and it's C-SPAM. My 'conservative' ex-coworker from Georgia posted this a bit back and I want to share it.

quote:

I interviewed today with an Atlanta startup founded by one of the nation's premier African-American entrepreneurs, a Morehouse Man with a GT PhD. This is his sixth Atlanta-based company, all of which either chug along successfully or have been acquired. All have a higher percentage of blacks in engineering than Google, or indeed any other major tech company. The exciting and vivacious single-room office I toured today was at least one-third people of color.

This is perhaps to be expected in the city responsible for more African-American PhDs and engineering graduates than any other, a city which has elected black mayors since 1973, the birth and resting place of Martin Luther King Jr., the home of Morehouse aka "Black Harvard" and Spelman aka "Black Wellesley", the city that shows up as my first hit for a Google search of "African American Mecca".

It's also rumored to influence hip-hop. Just a bit.

Google talks endlessly about diversity, and spends millions of dollars on the cause. My NYC office lends its prodigiously expensive square feet to Black Girls Code. We attempt to hook the recruiting pipeline up to HBCUs. We tweet about social justice and blog about the very real problem of racial inequality in America. Noble endeavors, all. It's too bad that they're not taking place where black people actually, you know, live.

According to census.gov's data as of 2016, Mountain View is 2% black. In 2010, the Bay Area Census Project recorded 1,468 blacks in MTV. I saw more black people than that crossing Peachtree Street today. census.gov reports, as of 2010, blacks making up 25.1% of NYC, 9.6% of Los Angeles, and 6.1% of famously liberal San Francisco. census.gov does not provide data for Dublin or Zürich, but we can make some reasonable assumptions about those other largest Google offices, n'est-ce pas? And let's be honest -- I doubt much of that 25.1% of NYC is centered around Chelsea.

Atlanta's a bit down from 67% in 1990, but 54% ain't so bad.

In one of the most reasonably-priced major cities of America, a ten-minute walk from one of the world's top ten engineering schools, Google has an office. It's one floor. There are no mass outings to the Fox Theatre, let alone Broadway. Food is served from 1200 to 1330, though mainly gone by 1300. Let it be noted that this food includes traditional African-American fare, something I've seen in other Google offices only during special events celebrating our self-congratulating focus on diversity. There are more black people in this office than I've seen in our NYC building, unless one counts custodial staff. There are three engineers, one of whom is black. That doesn't seem like many, except that I know precisely one black engineer on my entire ninth floor of Google NYC.

There were once dozens of SWEs and SREs in this office, humming along, cranking out GWT, nerd poo poo etc. Google decided to close Atlanta engineering, and they mainly went as a group to Square. A recent diversity-themed TGIF explicitly mentioned the importance of recruiting Atlanta; it's too bad we won't go all the way and actually hire ATLiens.

Madison? Sure. Pittsburgh? Gotta stick CMU's robotics department somewhere! Ann Arbor? Go Blue! Atlanta? Nah. Larry, what did we do to you?

Believe it or not, some of us like it here. California doesn't have seasons, and people talk to crystals, and the fried chicken sucks. Manhattan won't let you have a yard to grill in, and you have to hunt trees like rare Pokémon, and what the gently caress is that smell? It's godawfully hot, admittedly, but we don't screw around with our air conditioning, and there's plenty of room for pools. We can make effective use of the second-person (gender neutral!) plural "y'all" without being assumed mentally deficient, youz guys. Our families, people, and heritages are here, and no, by heritage I'm not talking about that goddamned flag.

If I help this company sell, it'll seed a half-dozen new black tech entrepreneurs. They'll go on to hire plenty more black engineers, and do it in Atlanta.

At Google, I'll be encouraged to take annual Bias-Busting training, gathering with other privileged honkeys to encourage one another's virtuous respect of black coworkers we don't have.

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, a symphonic blank stare, yeah.

I'll then make money for Californian white people who don't think the South merits a lousy engineering office.

--atlanta 2016-07-14

Dude was super smart and moved back to ATL couple months ago to work on a new start up. Despises Trump and voted Johnson this year.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Lol did SNL really open with Kate McKinnon doing an unironic Buckleyesque Hallelujah while dressed as Hillary?

what is buckleyesque? you mean that shity webcomic guy?

2016 seem to be the year kate turns everything to posion.

Cyron has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Nov 13, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.factcheck.org/2008/05/seating-floridas-and-michigans-delegates/

lol how time flies

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Cyron posted:

what is buckleyesque? you mean that shity webcomic guy

That was a dumb way for me to phrase it. She did Hallelujah because Cohen died but she performed it in the super emotional Jeff Buckley fashion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ

(To be clear, Buckley's version is the best one but the fact that SNL opened with a dirge to HRC is hilarious to me.)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought you guys might like this. It's from a conversation with one of my family members (he lives in a small town in rural colorado). They have been dems since FDR

quote:

It's really interesting living here now as a Dem where people I grew up with that hated Republicans are now sharing facebook memes about Trump taking back "Our" country. It confused the hell out of me for a long time till I realized that social issues had become the same as economic ones to them. These people were lumber yard workers, miners, farmers and so on. They liked unions, hated corporate America, and just wanted to have a nice middle class life. Then the lumber yards shut down, the mines became much more automated, and big corporate farms had run a lot of people out of business. Suddenly you have a lot of people sitting around with not much to do and don't know what to blame when some GOP nut comes in and tells them that Democrats want to help gay people, immigrants, and take your guns. Now some of them do really hate gay people and are racist (you can thank the evangelicals for that) but most are convinced that they aren't being helped BECAUSE of these groups. They do not give a gently caress about gay rights, they don't care about the trans bathroom issues, immigrants to them are just competition and all the new tourists pouring in look like they walked out of a different universe.

They are voting Trump and other republicans because he's giving them someone to blame. He's promising to turn back time. I don't think you can out promise that. But when he doesn't deliver and their lives continue to go to poo poo you sure as hell can tell them that they were lied to.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grognan posted:

They might not have won poo poo because poo poo is not a fuckin poll and politics is not just PR.

Mate I am talking about if you count the raw popular vote for the Pres, Senate, and House that the dems got more votes. We are being ruled by a government elected by like 19% of the population. That's going to piss a lot of people off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Venom Snake posted:

Mate I am talking about if you count the raw popular vote for the Pres, Senate, and House that the dems got more votes. We are being ruled by a government elected by like 19% of the population. That's going to piss a lot of people off.

Hasn't that been the case since 2012 when everything got gerrymandered to gently caress in 2010?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's funny that Venom Snake went from being genuinely confused that the Dems lost to joining the rest of the hill folk with retarded hand wringing about how Hillary totally would have won if only we were a democracy and not a republic.

It's a stupid loving point to make though since democracies vote differently than republics

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If America was a monarchy, the results of this presidential succession would different - signed, literally the kind of sheltered yet somehow woke Twitter liberal that lost the election

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it's funny that Venom Snake went from being genuinely confused that the Dems lost to joining the rest of the hill folk with retarded hand wringing about how Hillary totally would have won if only we were a democracy and not a republic.

It's a stupid loving point to make though since democracies vote differently than republics

Dude everything I've seen from VS seems like he genuinely believes that the hill people hosed this in an amazing way, and wants to learn how to get it right. Even on foreign policy stuff, he's been respectful and engaged honestly with people he disagrees with that basically called him Hillter 2.0.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Honestly, that's only going to piss off the people you've already got on your side.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lol let's all complain about ~flyover country~ having an outsized voice in the aftermath of an election that was lost by a candidate who completely ignored the middle of the country and whose planned platform wrt its inhabitants was p. much "just wait for them all to die", changing things to make it a winning strategy to continue to completely ignore the rest of the country in favor of running up the score in LA and Brooklyn will definitely win elections and I'm sure the people on those losing end of 'demographics are destiny' won't care at all about being effectively silenced...

This goes quadruple for the loving twitter wokefolk posting maps of counties by GDP and going 'well why do all those dirty backwards racist hicks get a say, the political power should all go to the places where the money comes from :smug:'

Yeah the EC is kinda dumb but 4 days after an election decided on the basis of one candidate completely ignoring half the goddamn EC votes on the goddamn table, the navel-gazing about 'well if we just make the EC go away we won't have to change anything' is just :negative:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

Literally means nothing and has nothing to do with how party and the law works. Woke California is mad, and means nothing because we were never a direct democracy, ever. Welcome to Nevada, where a party only noticed you every four years and literally decided that the senate race was the only reason to do anything with the state. LOL being woke when a national wonk committee decided your entire state was not worth helping anything because it would not be a seat or anything. They assumed their support would be around.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, while I still cast a side-eye at VS sometimes, and I think the Dwarf Fortress burn was hilarious, he has at least stuck around and eaten a great deal of poo poo sandwiches that folks have handed him.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Yeah the EC is kinda dumb but 4 days after an election decided on the basis of one candidate completely ignoring half the goddamn EC votes on the goddamn table, the navel-gazing about 'well if we just make the EC go away we won't have to change anything' is just :negative:

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part. Sounds like the EC which was designed to prevent exactly what Hillary was trying to do is kinda great, tbqh

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

That's not my point. She ran a bad campaign and lost. I'm not confused as to the why I am starting a fact that people are upset.

LastInLine posted:

Honestly, that's only going to piss off the people you've already got on your side.

This is very true.

mrmcd posted:

Dude everything I've seen from VS seems like he genuinely believes that the hill people hosed this in an amazing way, and wants to learn how to get it right. Even on foreign policy stuff, he's been respectful and engaged honestly with people he disagrees with that basically called him Hillter 2.0.

Thank you. When I say things like "this might be a problem" I'm asking for solutions. I think the dems hosed themselves into this situation by ignoring every dissenting voice and focusing on marketing instead of developing a better message.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Nm

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

The EC is dumb right now because there hasn't been an expansion of the number of districts to reflect overall population growth. Even in "flyover country".

Same with the house of reps since the eighteenth century

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Yeah, while I still cast a side-eye at VS sometimes, and I think the Dwarf Fortress burn was hilarious, he has at least stuck around and eaten a great deal of poo poo sandwiches that folks have handed him.

Well at least losing is fun! (or did someone make this joke already I am new to c-spam)

LastInLine posted:

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part. Sounds like the EC which was designed to prevent exactly what Hillary was trying to do is kinda great, tbqh

zen death robot posted:

The EC is dumb right now because there hasn't been an expansion of the number of districts to reflect overall population growth. Even in "flyover country".

This.

It's a good concept, one that worked pretty correctly here, and that's why all the ranting about how it has to go is real dumb and bad, but it could also use a balance pass, just that needs to be an adjunct to actual significant change in platforms and agendas, and not a thing done to further entrench the current establishment.

hailthefish has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Nov 13, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Apportionment_Amendment

Edit: having a rep for every 50k people, that would be something different.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
full stop

until intel, google, apple, and all the silicone valley companies unionize their workforce democrats should be eating poo poo sandwiches when it comes to congress and the EC since until that happens no "flyover state" should take the democrats seriously when their major donor class can't be asked to actually be liberal outside of identity politics poo poo

christ, AZ would turn blue in a heartbeat if intel unionized or at least got pro-union with how many people they alone employ like 30 min outside of Phoenix

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the number of EC delegates needs reforming and so does the number of House delegates.

In a perfect world I would hope that we could also allow the Jefferson state movement to happen since it would be a huge positive for me and my folks. But it's highly unlikely since nobody wants to deal with more senate seats

Larry Parrish has issued a correction as of 07:38 on Nov 13, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grognan posted:

Same with the house of reps since the eighteenth century

Yeah no poo poo. The senate is fixed by the number of states, the house by the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 which was intended to do what it's doing, prevent electoral power from continuing to shift more toward cities.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The EC will change when the winner needs it to.

The winner will never need the EC to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

The EC will change when the winner needs it to.

The winner will never need the EC to change.

But but why do Nebraskans get to decide anything?????

• Locked thread