Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VectorSigma posted:

I would have loved to see the look on Trump's face when his military intelligence briefing told him that climate change is real and that it's a major national security issue and of great strategic importance.

Probably scoffed and refused to acknowledge it like he did the Russian hacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

VectorSigma posted:

I would have loved to see the look on Trump's face when his military intelligence briefing told him that climate change is real and that it's a major national security issue and of great strategic importance.

Trump is a savvy business man. He probably directed his children to start investing in solar panels and in to whether or not they could start making gold colored solar panels. I can't wait for our all gold wind powered generators.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
This thread has scared me more than anything in my life. Holy. loving. poo poo.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Telephones posted:

Lol welcome

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This was what the Northabout found in the Northwest Passage this year: 17 degrees and no ice for the entire trip:

A stark contrast to what Rutherford encountered a mere four years prior. Or what killed two experienced royal navy crews a century ago.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Telephones posted:

Good, you're doing it right.

In comparison, Trumpism is a passing storm.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
Not sure if it's been covered yet, but what are the environmental consequences of Trump actually following through on his pet project of a giant wall across the Mexican border?

I mean animal migration and whatever else building a massive physical barrier across 1000s of miles would impact.

I mean hopefully this is just a stupid Trump pipe dream but I'm curious.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

RasperFat posted:

Not sure if it's been covered yet, but what are the environmental consequences of Trump actually following through on his pet project of a giant wall across the Mexican border?

I mean animal migration and whatever else building a massive physical barrier across 1000s of miles would impact.

I mean hopefully this is just a stupid Trump pipe dream but I'm curious.
It's going to keep all that heat from the tropics from making its way to the arctic, thereby restoring arctic ice and saving the polar bears.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Rime posted:

This was what the Northabout found in the Northwest Passage this year: 17 degrees and no ice for the entire trip:

A stark contrast to what Rutherford encountered a mere four years prior. Or what killed two experienced royal navy crews a century ago.

This reminded me that both ships of the lost Franklin expedition were found in the last 2 years. I have to wonder if the lack of sea ice is what made the search possible/much easier.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I for one am not scared, but am awed by climate change's destructive beauty.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Telephones posted:

Welcome to having even a modicum of awareness about climate issues.

I used to wonder why almost all of my mentors or professors who studied environmental science, geology, climate, etc suffered from some form of depression. I don't any more.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 13, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Forever_Peace posted:

Thanks man :unsmith:.

His point that California, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Minnesota and the New England states alone make up roughly half the U.S. economy really resonated with me. These are places where I have roots, know that it would be easy to find allies, and likely would encounter sympathetic local and state politicians.

Not only that, but they make up about half of the US economy while only having about ~42% of the US population. Take NY and a handful of surrounding states (say NJ, MA, and CT) and you end up with an even bigger economy than CA with a lower population spread out over a smaller land area. In other words, Clinton won the most economically productive parts of the country. There's definitely hope that if Democrats can hold onto local control in these areas that we can potentially offset some of the damage that will be done at the federal level.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Paradoxish posted:

Not only that, but they make up about half of the US economy while only having about ~42% of the US population. Take NY and a handful of surrounding states (say NJ, MA, and CT) and you end up with an even bigger economy than CA with a lower population spread out over a smaller land area. In other words, Clinton won the most economically productive parts of the country. There's definitely hope that if Democrats can hold onto local control in these areas that we can potentially offset some of the damage that will be done at the federal level.

is this one of those things that 'States rights' can end up backfiring on Republicans as the blue states with powerful economies turn Green and the Federal government has issues stopping it?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
But will they? I have no idea. Part of the problem is this country's complete refusal to collectively care about state politics, let alone local politics.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Stallion Cabana posted:

is this one of those things that 'States rights' can end up backfiring on Republicans as the blue states with powerful economies turn Green and the Federal government has issues stopping it?

States rights goes out the window the moment the conservative agenda is threatened. It's never not been anything but an excuse that only swings to the right. They'll figure out a way the interstate commerce clause actually means you can pass a federal ban on solar power if they have to.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Well, the literal and absolute worst-case scenario projected an ice-free Arctic at the end of the summer melt season by 2016.

Guess that was a year or two ahead. Take that you SCIENTISTS! You were wrong again!

e: From this cool place a few days ago:

quote:

We are some 500k km2+ below the record low and over 1mln km2 below 2007 for Nov 9.
Fun times ahead:

quote:

The chart below shows the mean temperature anomaly for these 19 stations in each October since 1971. Remarkably, the 19-station mean temperature in October 2016 was 5.6°C above the 1981-2010 normal and more than 2°C above the 2012 record. October 2016 was the second most anomalous calendar month in the data since 1971 - only January 2016 was warmer relative to normal, at +6.5°C.
:suicide:

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 14, 2016

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Seriously though, why don't I see anyone discussing this anywhere? Doesn't it signify The End and that we need to do something drastic right loving now?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
It's likely much too late for preventive measures, really.

The only question has been how long before things tip... some thought it was going to take a lot longer to reach such a point; could be that we passed it already.

I'm sure President Trump will save us.

Continued:

quote:

Looking at recent daily temperature anomalies for the same 19 stations, it is amazing to see that the warmth has become even more pronounced since the end of October; the 19-station mean anomaly reached +9.6°C last Thursday (November 3), and on Friday the coolest of the stations was 5.4°C warmer than normal. In terms of standard deviations, Thursday's mean anomaly was the highest of any day from 1971-present.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 14, 2016

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lol nothing matters

quote:

As negotiators headed to Copenhagen in December 2009 to forge a global climate pact, concerned U.S. business leaders and liberal luminaries took out a full-page ad in the New York Times calling for aggressive climate action. In an open letter to President Obama and the U.S. Congress, they declared: “If we fail to act now, it is scientifically irrefutable that there will be catastrophic and irreversible consequences for humanity and our planet.”

One of the signatories of that letter: Donald Trump.

Also signed by Trump’s three adult children, the letter called for passage of U.S. climate legislation, investment in the clean energy economy, and leadership to inspire the rest of the world to join the fight against climate change.

“We support your effort to ensure meaningful and effective measures to control climate change, an immediate challenge facing the United States and the world today,” the letter tells the president and Congress. “Please allow us, the United States of America, to serve in modeling the change necessary to protect humanity and our planet.”

In every conceivable way, the letter contradicts Trump’s current stance on climate policy. On the campaign trail, Trump has said he is “not a big believer in man-made climate change.” Last fall, after Obama described climate change as a major threat to the United States and the world, Trump said that was “one of the dumbest statements I’ve ever heard in politics — in the history of politics as I know it.”

The 2009 ad also argues that a shift to clean energy “will spur economic growth” and “create new energy jobs.” But these days, Trump contends that U.S. action to limit greenhouse gas emissions would put the country at a competitive disadvantage. In 2012, he went so far as to claim: “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”

The Copenhagen conference that inspired the open letter was part of the same two-decade-long U.N. negotiating process that led to a global climate deal in Paris last year. But whereas in 2009 Trump supported the process via the ad, now he wants to sabotage it, promising recently to “cancel” the Paris accord.

The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

Trump’s signature on the ad, which ran in the Times on Dec. 6, 2009, stands out on a list dominated by liberal media and business figures, including the founder of Patagonia, the cofounders of Ben & Jerry’s, the president of CREDO Mobile, the executive producer of Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth, celebrity chef Tom Colicchio, actors Kate Hudson and Adrian Grenier, media heavyweights Martha Stewart and Graydon Carter, and New Age author Deepak Chopra.

None of the signers that Grist interviewed this week could recall who had organized the letter or knew who had asked Trump to sign. The website of the group listed on the ad, businessleaders4environmentalchange.us, is now defunct, and no information was available on who had registered it.

trump-letterBeyond the Times ad, Trump has supported climate causes and expressed concern about global warming at least twice before. In 2014, Trump sent a $5,000 check to Protect Our Winters, a climate advocacy nonprofit for skiers and snowboarders, after a Celebrity Apprentice contestant requested his support.

The second time was when climate change hit The Trump Organization’s bottom line: His golf course in Ireland is threatened by coastal erosion, so the company recently applied for a permit to build a seawall to protect the property from “global warming and its effects.”

Other than that, Trump has been fairly consistent in his views on climate change — or consistent for Trump. Two months after signing the open letter, he told members of the Trump National Golf Club that Al Gore should be stripped of his Nobel Prize because that winter had been cold. “Gore wants us to clean up our factories and plants in order to protect us from global warming, when China and other countries couldn’t care less,” he said. “It would make us totally noncompetitive in the manufacturing world, and China, Japan and India are laughing at America’s stupidity.”

Now that sounds more like the Republican nominee.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I really don't want to loving die, why isn't anyone doing anything? What can I do? Please don't respond to this with a joke, I'm loving terrified and sick to my stomach.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yellowyams posted:

I really don't want to loving die, why isn't anyone doing anything? What can I do? Please don't respond to this with a joke, I'm loving terrified and sick to my stomach.

pm me

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

where do you live, anyway?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

I don't have PMs is there some other way to reach you? I live in Houston.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

yellowyams posted:

Heres what you can do: Be wealthy, head north to decent future climate, live a ways above sea level. Buy lots of property that will be valuable arable land in 40 years just in case currencies do poorly.

Figure out how, when the dust settles, you and your family and descendents can come out on top, and someone else does the dying.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Where should I send my monthly $ to combat global warming? 350.org? Help me save the earth goons

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Heres what you can do: Be wealthy, head north to decent future climate, live a ways above sea level. Buy lots of property that will be valuable arable land in 40 years just in case currencies do poorly.

Figure out how, when the dust settles, you and your family and descendents can come out on top, and someone else does the dying.

The world will collapse by then, there won't be a 40 years when there's no arctic ice (likely to happen this summer).

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
So, become a prepper?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yellowyams posted:

I really don't want to loving die,

Too bad, you're human

quote:

why isn't anyone doing anything?

They are, it's just not a problem with a solution

quote:

What can I do? Please don't respond to this with a joke, I'm loving terrified and sick to my stomach.

Accept it and get the gently caress out of Texas.

zxqv8 posted:

So, become a prepper?

Sure, except less "every man is his own island" and more like "when the world goes to poo poo I hope I'm around some sensible people"

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
I've personally always believed that most of the prominent global warming deniers were simply using it as a wedge issue knowing full well feedback loops would start kicking in severely by around this point. Trump included. The only delusional people were the ones who thought that reducing emissions with accords and policy would actually do anything for the near future, or that anything below RCP 8.5 was even possible.

Trump or someone else will probably start spraying sulfates within a few years. The only solution I really know of at this point is to try and keep some of our ice by increasing cloud reflectance. Obviously that will have its own consequences, but our sunsets will be real pretty!

Hope I'm wrong, but things seem to be picking up like the most extreme predictions said.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I've missed chunks of this thread, so apologies if it's been linked prior, but are there real plans in the works for massive scale geoengineering or weather-control solutions to climate change that aren't just the realm of conspiracy theory? I know weather-control has been tainted by that community for a long time, which makes it hard to know if there are any legitimate scientific studies into the possibility of real large scale solutions that don't just involve walking back the amount of ongoing damage we're inflicting.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

zxqv8 posted:

I've missed chunks of this thread, so apologies if it's been linked prior, but are there real plans in the works for massive scale geoengineering or weather-control solutions to climate change that aren't just the realm of conspiracy theory? I know weather-control has been tainted by that community for a long time, which makes it hard to know if there are any legitimate scientific studies into the possibility of real large scale solutions that don't just involve walking back the amount of ongoing damage we're inflicting.

Well I remember talking once to a crazy green person who really hated muslims and felt if we could turn the Middle East and North Africa into glass we could reflect sunlight as if the glaciers didn't melt.

On a serious note the one that seems to have the most traction as a "might work" is the release sulfates into the atmosphere. In the at the bare minimum there is a little natural precedent of this leading to reduced global temperatures.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

zxqv8 posted:

Found this written recently on the subject:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-31/geoengineering-to-alter-climate-change-moves-closer-to-reality

quote:

A United Nations body is investigating controversial methods to avert runaway climate change by giving humans the go-ahead to re-engineer the Earth’s oceans and atmosphere.

So-called geoengineering is seen as necessary to achieve the COP21 Paris agreement clinched in December, when 197 countries pledged to keep global temperatures rises below 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit), according to researchers who produced a report for the UN Convention on Biological Diversity.

“Within the Paris agreement there’s an implicit assumption that there will need to be greenhouse gases removed,” said Phil Williamson, a scientist at the U.K.’s University of East Anglia, who worked on the report. “Climate geoengineering is what countries have agreed to do, although they haven’t really realized that they’ve agreed to do it.”

Large-scale geoengineering may include pouring nutrients into oceans to save coral habitats or spraying tiny particles into the Earth’s atmosphere to reflect sun rays back into space. Geoengineering proposals have been shunned because of their unpredictable consequences on global ecosystems.

The University of East Anglia released a study in February that concluded geoengineering ideas were hazardous, costly or unrealistic. The Convention on Biodiversity has approached geoengineering with caution, seeking to constrain the development unless there is effective global governance, Williamson said.

“Risks of having local imbalances of climate are quite high, we’re not quite sure how it would turn out,” Williamson said. “If you have a climate catastrophe, a flood or storm, the accusation will be that it resulted from your action in the atmosphere.”
Some minds have nevertheless been changing when confronted with the scale of the climate change problems to be solved. Monday’s report makes clear that while geoengineering still entails environmental, political and economic risks, it’s worth considering as long as potentially unintended consequences can be pinpointed and minimized.

Carbon capture and storage is one of the more viable options going forward, Williamson said. Costs for machines that suck carbon dioxide out of the air, known as the direct air capture method, are falling as the technology becomes more efficient. The government of Norway recently committed $160 million to fund projects that will collect pollution from three industrial sites and extend its research program.

World leaders will be meeting in Marrakesh from Nov. 7 to 20 for the COP22 conference to bang out more details on the implementation of climate deal and discuss concrete plans. To date, 87 countries have ratified the Paris agreement, including China, the U.S. and the European Union. It will enter into force Nov. 4.

The geoengineering report will be presented at a UN Convention on Biodiversity Conference in Cancun, Mexico in December.

So... looks like December will see a pretty interesting UN report released.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Geoengineering kind of sounds like

'If we do this we may completely gently caress everything, but if we don't do anything we're totally hosed'.

I can understand being iffy on it when there's still a chance for us to fix it 'normally' and without catastrophic changes like that, but given those graphs from earlier, it seems like it really is 'either we're hosed 100% of the time or we might be hosed on some vague chance we aren't sure of'.

What I'm saying is I support Geoengineering in this logic.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

Geoengineering kind of sounds like

'If we do this we may completely gently caress everything, but if we don't do anything we're totally hosed'.

I can understand being iffy on it when there's still a chance for us to fix it 'normally' and without catastrophic changes like that, but given those graphs from earlier, it seems like it really is 'either we're hosed 100% of the time or we might be hosed on some vague chance we aren't sure of'.

What I'm saying is I support Geoengineering in this logic.

Geoengineering is inevitable, it's just hard to imagine that society will be able to hold itself together alongside the political turmoil that climate change is going to entail. It's worth mentioning that aerosals (pretty much the "best" solution realistic today) would stop cooling the atmosphere effectively instantly the minute we stopped doing it, that sort of "slingshot" effect could end up being more devastating than nature letting its run it course. Basically what I'm saying is enjoy the ride because it's happening regardless.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

NewForumSoftware posted:

Geoengineering is inevitable, it's just hard to imagine that society will be able to hold itself together alongside the political turmoil that climate change is going to entail. It's worth mentioning that aerosals (pretty much the "best" solution realistic today) would stop cooling the atmosphere effectively instantly the minute we stopped doing it, that sort of "slingshot" effect could end up being more devastating than nature letting its run it course. Basically what I'm saying is enjoy the ride because it's happening regardless.

I find myself rapidly swapping between giving up my dreams and going to live quietly with all I need to be happy for my life while everything goes to hell and see what happens or saying 'well gently caress, even if the world ends I might as well do what I wanted' and going for it anyway out of wanting a feeling of accomplishment at the end.

Basically I'm saying strap me the gently caress in.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

TildeATH posted:

That's the comically wrong jet stream guy, right?

Please tell me this is some kind of comically wrong graph.

Because, poo poo, man, I liked polar bears.

Yeah, I think he's off the mark. The NSIDC graphs for arctic and antarctic sea ice don't match his at all.

e: Went and looked at the twitter post that had the graph. He even includes the same two NSIDC images. I have no idea how he's combining them to get that.

e2: What the gently caress. Look at the totals. Eight million arctic and fifteen million antarctic makes twenty-three million right now. This dude's own graph only ever reached twenty-three million in the 1980s.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 14, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

And anyways, pulling out of Paris will have severe diplomatic consequences.
Aww, you think that still matters.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can we talk about denialists on the other side for a moment, "NTHE" facebook support groups and 2030 doomsday quacks like Guy McPherson - who does a lot of self promotion for a guy who only has a decade or so to live.

They're doing the exact same harm deniers do, getting people to do nothing, but they target those on the left who would otherwise be very helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_McPherson

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Fansy posted:

Can we talk about denialists on the other side for a moment, "NTHE" facebook support groups and 2030 doomsday quacks like Guy McPherson - who does a lot of self promotion for a guy who only has a decade or so to live.

They're doing the exact same harm deniers do, getting people to do nothing, but they target those on the left who would otherwise be very helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_McPherson

so these kind of denalists are the ones saying 'it's all hosed don't bother doing anything'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yes, they have a very busy Human Extinction support group on Facebook, which acts as an echo chamber. There are few if any climate scientists in the group, McPherson surely isn't one.