Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

I have an odd question:
is Sharp Practice 1 miniature = 1 actual dudeman?
No. It varies with scale. I mean you could run it that way, but the individual minis are supposed to represent on the order of 4-10 dudes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

I have an odd question:
is Sharp Practice 1 miniature = 1 actual dudeman?

Sharp Practice is a bit loose in how you want to play and interpret it. But basically, no, as you can have an attack column consisting of just 24 dudemen.

A small force might be 2-3 formations, where each formation has 2-4 groups with 8 men in each group. So it's not really built like a battalion level game, where you will have several battalions operating with flank companies and everything.

Rather, you might have 16-24 men that are "a bunch of guys from the second company", two supporting groups of skirmishers that come from their flank company, and maybe 8 dragoons that represent a bunch of guys from a cavalry company that turn up to help your dudes. They are then led by a few NCOs and an officer or two. But it's quite free-form and the intention of the designer is clearly to create a novel or movie style narrative rather than representing actual battles with strict OOBs and such.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oh fie, I like 1 miniature = 1 dude games

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

You can play it like that without problem, and just say that you have small units fighting tiny skirmishes. Casualties are removed individually, so you can just say that you actually have 24 Redcoats and their sergeant stumble into a small band of raiding Colonists.

The only point where I do think it becomes a bit of a stretch is if you play periods that heavily feature squares and attack columns, as I do think that it's a bit silly to imagine a 16 man strong infantry square. But for things like ACW, FIW and AWI, it should work out nicely.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

JcDent posted:

In my experience it works perfectly well at That figure scale.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Got drunk and played tiny civil war last night in anticipation of American Civil War 2, also got to try out a cheapo macro lens I picked up for my phone.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Your little 6mm army mans are (as I believe the kids say these days) totez adorbz. That board looks sweet as hell, although the river of lemon pudding is a little jarring.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Ilor posted:

Your little 6mm army mans are (as I believe the kids say these days) totez adorbz. That board looks sweet as hell, although the river of lemon pudding is a little jarring.

River looks good. Way better than bright blue

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Serotonin posted:

The death of the EPA is already being felt I guess. :/

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Serotonin posted:

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, I've actually seen rivers this color. The day I crossed the Tanana in Alaska it looked like liquid bananas. But just because it's natural doesn't mean that I'm not still weirded out by it. FWIW, the Kenai river was this bright, slate/aquamarine blue color and almost completely opaque. It looked equally unnatural. And the Yukon (at that point in flood stage) looked for all the world like chocolate milk. Alaska has some fekkin' crazy rivers.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, I based it off of pictures I found it the Mississippi, I want it to look gross and silty and stagnant. Also worth noting that playing at night ends up having everything look yellower than usual due to my kitchen's lights.

A couple more pics, sorry for the spam but I'm just marveling at what this lens can do with an iPhone. I've never even seen my army this close in person.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

tallkidwithglasses posted:

anticipation of American Civil War 2

What's dis?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

muggins posted:

What's dis?
The impending collapse of the USA in the war between Nazis and SJWs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Caro won't even have to travel far this time!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Caro won't even have to travel far this time!

Caro will burn his way all down to Atlanta.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Now I have an image of all the CSA historical renactors forming up in their units, putting balls into their muskets and marching north. Each on thinking "This is our time!"

To be greeted by Abrams and Bradley's....

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Too bad most of the Abrams and Bradleys are based south of the Mason Dixon line.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone have an idea of what colour green a Comet would have been painted early 1945 around the time of the Rhine crossing, and likewise what colour a BEF Cruiser mk I A9 and Cruiser mk II A10 would have worn?

I know the Stuarts and Shermans the British retained the factory US olive drab, but I don't know what they used on their own production vehicles

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 11, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Arquinsiel posted:

The impending collapse of the USA in the war between Nazis and SJWs.

Ahhh yeah . The next four years are gonna be good for historical scenarios.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Ahhh yeah . The next four years are gonna be good for historical scenarios.

Now I want a Post-Trump Universalis game. Just imagine the tiny balkanized countries sprouting out! The various bizarre event chains!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Now I want a Post-Trump Universalis game. Just imagine the tiny balkanized countries sprouting out! The various bizarre event chains!

A comet has been sighted!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There's already the after the end mod, what more is needed?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

NTRabbit posted:

Does anyone have an idea of what colour green a Comet would have been painted early 1945 around the time of the Rhine crossing, and likewise what colour a BEF Cruiser mk I A9 and Cruiser mk II A10 would have worn?

I know the Stuarts and Shermans the British retained the factory US olive drab, but I don't know what they used on their own production vehicles

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but it was likely SCC 15 Olive Drab for the Comet.

The bottom right swatch of this:

The BEF vehicles would likely have been SCC 2 Brown, afaik.

Middle left:

For SCC 15 there was some discussion earlier. A common recipe people use is 1:1 Russian Uniform and Olive Grey, but I don't agree.

My recipe is a 1:1 Brown Violet and Olive Grey. It's still a little light in colour compared to real life, but washed down with Agrax, it's pretty close.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

They actually painted everything

I use this guide for my early-war stuff. Looks good enough. Here is a discussion of the regulations and colour codes used for vehicles, so you can work from that if you really want. I tend to paint my late-war British tanks a slightly darker green than they probably should be and just do them all the same and ignore camo patterns.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I gotta say, while I like the general thrust of TY's rules, I really feel like it could've done with a second pass for clarity. How the aircraft rules interact with movement orders and stuff like the hind's lack of a stationary fire value always lead to questions.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Does anyone know if non-white empire troops that served in world war 2 had their own officers?
Specifically I'm making a platoon of Sikhs to fight some CoC in North Africa. And I'm wondering if I should put turbans on the senior officers.

Edit: they did

zokie fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 13, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

zokie posted:

Does anyone know if non-white empire troops that served in world war 2 had their own officers?
Specifically I'm making a platoon of Sikhs to fight some CoC in North Africa. And I'm wondering if I should put turbans on the senior officers.

Yeah, googling for sikh nco's in ww2, I even foung pictures of one guy serving in the German army. Turban and all.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

spectralent posted:

I gotta say, while I like the general thrust of TY's rules, I really feel like it could've done with a second pass for clarity. How the aircraft rules interact with movement orders and stuff like the hind's lack of a stationary fire value always lead to questions.

Aircraft have unlimited move, so you can literally put them wherever you want. The Hind always uses its moving values- it doesn't have hunter killer so it can't sneak and peek anyway.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

zokie posted:

There were definitely Indian officers in the Indian army, especially later in the war, but the vast majority of senior officers (majors and above) were white.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Polikarpov posted:

Aircraft have unlimited move, so you can literally put them wherever you want. The Hind always uses its moving values- it doesn't have hunter killer so it can't sneak and peek anyway.

Yeah, but it turns out you can do stuff like blitz hunter killers on from off-table, and fire TOWs immediately. If a Hind shoots, can it Shoot and Scoot, potentially out of AA gun range, and if an aircraft moves in a limited fashion, can it loiter? You can't shoot-and-scoot if you moved in the movement step. Can you shoot with moving RoF if you were still? Likewise, if you blitz move you can land and, since you haven't moved according to blitz move, your passengers can disembark and then you can loiter. None of these things are all that obvious from a cursory read, which gives the impression that move orders are basically useless to aircraft.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Enentol posted:

My recipe

Arquinsiel posted:

I use this guide for my early-war stuff.

Cheers, I'll see how it jives with the paint I already have

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but it turns out you can do stuff like blitz hunter killers on from off-table, and fire TOWs immediately. If a Hind shoots, can it Shoot and Scoot, potentially out of AA gun range, and if an aircraft moves in a limited fashion, can it loiter? You can't shoot-and-scoot if you moved in the movement step. Can you shoot with moving RoF if you were still? Likewise, if you blitz move you can land and, since you haven't moved according to blitz move, your passengers can disembark and then you can loiter. None of these things are all that obvious from a cursory read, which gives the impression that move orders are basically useless to aircraft.

At least for disembarking a transport aircraft, the rules for disembarking read "A transport aircraft... can only land at the end of its move" so since Blitz isn't considered a move it wouldn't be adequate to land the aircraft. Additionally the rules read "The transport takes off again when it next moves". So you would need 3 turns to land, take off, and then loiter. You can only loiter if you don't move at all. You could blitz, I guess, but blitzing into a loiter is just a way for you to fail dice rolls.

In order to Shoot and Scoot, a unit must be able to conduct an assault, because shoot and scoot is an alternative to assaulting. See the Assault rules. Additionally, enemy AA guns can fire in your shooting step before the hind resolves its attack, so scooting away is pointless for a helicopter.

Blitzing your hunter killers from the table edge sounds legit though.

edit: the way the flavor text is written the Hind is always moving even if you leave it in the same spot, because soviet doctrine was to make attack runs, not hover in place. The Hind was really bad at hovering, in any case. This is why it doesn't get hunter killer and it only has moving ROF.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Polikarpov posted:

At least for disembarking a transport aircraft, the rules for disembarking read "A transport aircraft... can only land at the end of its move" so since Blitz isn't considered a move it wouldn't be adequate to land the aircraft. Additionally the rules read "The transport takes off again when it next moves". So you would need 3 turns to land, take off, and then loiter. You can only loiter if you don't move at all. You could blitz, I guess, but blitzing into a loiter is just a way for you to fail dice rolls.

You say this, but it was in the errata:

Can Blitz my Helicopters to land, then Blitz the passengers
out, before then having the Helicopters take off again in
their normal movement?

Yes. A Blitz move does not count as Movement, so at that point
the Helicopters still have not ‘moved’. This allows the passengers
to dismount before the Helicopters take their movement.

quote:

In order to Shoot and Scoot, a unit must be able to conduct an assault, because shoot and scoot is an alternative to assaulting. See the Assault rules. Additionally, enemy AA guns can fire in your shooting step before the hind resolves its attack, so scooting away is pointless for a helicopter.

I'm not sure that's actually true; generally helis can't assault because you measure to the plane, not the stand, so they can't be in contact with anything, and they're not one of the kinds of teams that's allowed to charge (automatic flying if in 4" precludes any kind of assault), and the field manual says they never participate in defensive fire*, but I can't see anywhere that bans aircraft from having an assault action period. Since they can't assault, shoot-and-scoot is the only reason I can think of that they'd have a free assault step. The Field Manual says they "play no part in assaults", but it doesn't mean they can't do anything in the assault step necessarily. If you could shoot-and-scoot into loiter, that'd be very handy, and for maximum goofiness, the transport aircraft landing rules don't specify it has to be done in a movement step (like mount/dismount does), they just say "at the end of a move". Shoot, then shoot and scoot to land and avoid enemy fire in their turn!

*well, technically, it says flying aircraft do, and also that all weapons in TY have all-round field of fire, which implies a Hind within 8" but not 4" can fire backwards to defend it's passengers, but...

quote:

Blitzing your hunter killers from the table edge sounds legit though.

edit: the way the flavor text is written the Hind is always moving even if you leave it in the same spot, because soviet doctrine was to make attack runs, not hover in place. The Hind was really bad at hovering, in any case. This is why it doesn't get hunter killer and it only has moving ROF.

Yeah, I know that, the question is whether or not movement step weirdness is allowed. It'd be particularly annoying if shoot-loitering was permissable for hunter-killers but not hinds, but there we are.

As I said, I'm not sure any of this is intended, just there seems to be space to do it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

zokie posted:

At the level that CoC takes place (platoon level, meaning your "senior leader" is a lieutenant), the various Imperial units absolutely had their own officers.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Ah, I didn't know about the FAQ. Still, you have to Move to take off, so you couldn't loiter until next turn.

As for Assault, my reading of the rules is that only units eligible to Assault can activate in the Assault Step. Shoot and Scoot seems to me to be an option to get your shooters out of assault range, instead of charging a company of T-72s with a pair of ITVs.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Two squad's of Grenadiers done.
optionally two sniper teams.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I've been crippled by so many paint options and this being my first historical model. But gently caress it, I'm just going to use whatever greys and Browns around.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

20th century wargaming is just a smear of greens, browns and greys. It's the easiest period to paint, and you can excuse almost any colour due to different dyes and fabrics being used, and the rapid discoloration from field use.

Now Napoleonics, that's a great way to end up realizing that you did 10+ colour mistakes on your first unit.