Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

vyelkin posted:

If you think about the fact that 2008 was when Obama came to power, that's actually a really long time ago in terms of social media. 2008 was when Facebook was just emerging as a really big deal. There was no twitter, instagram, etc., etc.
Twitter came out in 2006, literally a decade ago.

Just a minor correction to an otherwise good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Twitter came out in 2006, literally a decade ago.

Just a minor correction to an otherwise good post.

Oh, you're totally right. That's my bad. I thought it was much more recent than that. Though for both twitter and facebook I think it's worth mentioning that Obama memes go back before November 2008 and so even early adopters may have been involved in right-wing social media before that date.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Is this... a funny Tinsley??? :psyduck:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Schmeichy posted:

Is this... a funny Tinsley??? :psyduck:

Tinsley can come up with decent gags if they're not really political. That "Do Pollsters have other jobs?" strip is also pretty funny, although that one unintentionally due to 2-week delay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lemming posted:

Our only hope is for Obama to become best friends with Trum-

I already gave you motherfuckers 8 years of my life seemingly for nothing t:mad:t
______________________________________________/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jerusalem posted:

I already gave you motherfuckers 8 years of my life seemingly for nothing t:mad:t
______________________________________________/

If the Obama's leave this horrible country and never return I would completely understand.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Thread, can we come up with a term for this kind of thing? Like, the "Thing but with one change?" I'm way to fuckin' tired to come up with one but there's gotta be a way to phrase it. I'm sick of this poo poo from Bennett and Gorrell and the rest of 'em.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Somfin posted:

Thread, can we come up with a term for this kind of thing? Like, the "Thing but with one change?" I'm way to fuckin' tired to come up with one but there's gotta be a way to phrase it. I'm sick of this poo poo from Bennett and Gorrell and the rest of 'em.
Your sentence makes me think of the comic Starslip Crisis, where the main drive sends you to where you need to go in another timeline/dimension with 99% accuracy and the main thrust of the comic is that the protagonists eventually diverge too far from their core timeline. But I don't think Starslipping is a good word for it.

Hidden Eye Political Cartoons? Spot the Difference Politoon?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mako projects Trumps presidency, based on promises he made during his campaign. He promised to:

Never participate in a bike race
"Sorry, I made a promise"

"We need 10$ to place the final brick.
Hey Pedro, you got a tenner? Now, who's going to give me a ride home?"

Find and kill terrorist family members
"Tralalala"

Place surveillance systems in mosques

Throw Bergdahl out of a plane over Afghanistan
"I shouldn't have participated in the kidnappers BBQ"

Force Nabisco to make Oreos in the US
"Don't be stingy with the cream!"

Always refer to the Iranian supreme leader as a "baby".
"Hey babe, what's up? I'm not a baby :("

Allow people to say "Marry Christmas"
"merry christmas"

Never take a vacation

Blow up ISIS, take away their oil, and give the profits to injured veterans
"Mazal Tov! There's a gift card attached."

Jail Hillary for the email scandal
"Where's the wi-fi?"

Take care of women

Improve the national mood
"We rock!"

Kobrag
Feb 11, 2014

FaradayCage posted:

Pretty reprehensible.

But maybe...

This is probably why presidential candidates have a modern tradition of not directly demonizing certain creeds and races, and encouraging violence for the sake of popularity.

This is probably why we were all horrified when one of them decided to not be ~politically correct~.

This is probably what we all warned would happen, and has been happening.

So I feel bad for the old man.

But when your megaphone reaches the entire nation and speaks as its prospective leadership, you either say something presidential or you bite your loving tongue.

So you are blaming the riots and assaults, not on the people committing them, but on Trump?
What you gonna do next, blame the holocaust on the Jews?
loving hell, I my be a liberal, but I may just by a MAGA hate to show support and sympathy.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Xander77 posted:

"We rock!"

These are all loving great.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kobrag posted:

So you are blaming the riots and assaults, not on the people committing them, but on Trump?
What you gonna do next, blame the holocaust on the Jews?
loving hell, I my be a liberal, but I may just by a MAGA hate to show support and sympathy.

Wow, I think we've found it. The worst analogy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If the Obama's leave this horrible country and never return I would completely understand.

Wherever they go, can Joe Biden live in their guest house? :shobon:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kobrag posted:

a MAGA hate to show support and sympathy.

An apt typo.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Donald Trump: life imitates art - Chris Riddell’s nightmare vision of a Trump presidency (after Fuseli)"

Sunday Telegraph:

Remembrance Sunday.

Sunday Times:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

UK comic are great

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

straight out of stormfront.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Remembrance Sunday.

the US and UK are dead, a timely cartoon :smith:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Kobrag posted:

I blamed both the individuals ("pretty reprehensible") and Trump for inciting them.

Protests are always going to have a few bad eggs because they are made up of people.

The president(ial candidate) doesn't get to use that excuse.

Kobrag posted:

MAGA hate

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

straight out of stormfront.

Also almost entirely inaccurate. Certainly in the case of the UK, where the campaign to exit the EU was orchestrated by the absolute peak of the elite.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Angepain posted:

the US and UK are dead, a timely cartoon :smith:

Photoshop in a mushroom cloud and be the talk of Facebook

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jedit posted:

Also almost entirely inaccurate. Certainly in the case of the UK, where the campaign to exit the EU was orchestrated by the absolute peak of the elite.

it's just blowing my mind that he used a very famous antisemitic cartoon as his basis. is he normally racist as gently caress or is he a retard?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the black globalist octopus

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's just blowing my mind that he used a very famous antisemitic cartoon as his basis. is he normally racist as gently caress or is he a retard?

Bok is the poster child for not understanding an issue. He's the one who didn't understand how net neutrality worked, and accused the person who pointed this out of being Chinese because they knew Photoshop.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Xander77 posted:

Mako projects Trumps presidency, based on promises he made during his campaign. He promised to:

Never participate in a bike race
"Sorry, I made a promise"

"We need 10$ to place the final brick.
Hey Pedro, you got a tenner? Now, who's going to give me a ride home?"

Find and kill terrorist family members
"Tralalala"

Place surveillance systems in mosques

Throw Bergdahl out of a plane over Afghanistan
"I shouldn't have participated in the kidnappers BBQ"

Force Nabisco to make Oreos in the US
"Don't be stingy with the cream!"

Always refer to the Iranian supreme leader as a "baby".
"Hey babe, what's up? I'm not a baby :("

Allow people to say "Marry Christmas"
"merry christmas"

Never take a vacation

Blow up ISIS, take away their oil, and give the profits to injured veterans
"Mazal Tov! There's a gift card attached."

Jail Hillary for the email scandal
"Where's the wi-fi?"

Take care of women

"We rock!"

these are incredibly good

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Somfin posted:

Bok is the poster child for not understanding an issue. He's the one who didn't understand how net neutrality worked, and accused the person who pointed this out of being Chinese because they knew Photoshop.

He accused them of being Chinese because they had "stolen" his IP just like those crafty yellow devils

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Found the thing I was looking for. Dunno if this counts as a proper political cartoon but for completion's sake:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

these are incredibly good
Yeah. Merry Christmas is my favorite.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mister Beeg posted:

Twitter came out in 2006, literally a decade ago. Just a minor correction to an otherwise good post.
There's existing and being influential. Compared to what Twitter is now (or was in 2012) it was a non-entity in 2008.

According to this, the monthly active users of Twitter went from about 500,000 in January 2008 up to 3.5 million in November 2008. That's worldwide, and the number had grown to over 200M for the 2012 election cycle, and 300+Mm for this past few months.

Also in terms of Twitter adoption/social media cocooning, only 22% of cel phone users had smartphones (mostly 1st gen iPhones and Blackberries) in America in the 2008 election cycle, up to 50% in 2012, and currently in the mid 60s looks like.

The level of adoption of all of these things is definitely much broader than it was eight or even four years ago. Honestly not sure how much it is to blame for anything, but just a minor sub-correction.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

There's existing and being influential. Compared to what Twitter is now (or was in 2012) it was a non-entity in 2008.

According to this, the monthly active users of Twitter went from about 500,000 in January 2008 up to 3.5 million in November 2008. That's worldwide, and the number had grown to over 200M for the 2012 election cycle, and 300+Mm for this past few months.

Also in terms of Twitter adoption/social media cocooning, only 22% of cel phone users had smartphones (mostly 1st gen iPhones and Blackberries) in America in the 2008 election cycle, up to 50% in 2012, and currently in the mid 60s looks like.

The level of adoption of all of these things is definitely much broader than it was eight or even four years ago. Honestly not sure how much it is to blame for anything, but just a minor sub-correction.

I remember thinking "this twitter thing isn't just for the dumb jokes i think of" when it started getting used for protests and organization, it may have been Tunisia but i think i remember something happening before that even

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Edge & Christian posted:

Twitter was pretty dope in 2007 when you literally sent and received tweets via text message on your dumb phone and your feed was essentially a big group text where people would give you hot tips on which bars at SXSW were still serving free alcohol.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Wait... I thought Prick City was PRO Donald?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Death Ray posted:

Prickly City is still 9 days away from knowing who won.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Its also been riding Gary's Johnson and consistently never Trump* since at least his nomination.

*But he still hates Hillary Hunny Bunny more.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Death Ray posted:

He's been "above it all, both candidates suck, vote Gary Johnson" for a while.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

We need a RaHoWa-est Cartoon category in the Gay Abortions.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

All that's needed is a Star of David on the hat and it's there.

E: It would be a darn shame for ol' Bok if someone added one and started spreading it around. Sure hope that doesn't happen.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 13, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Wistful of Dollars posted:

E: It would be a darn shame for ol' Bok if someone added one and started spreading it around. Sure hope that doesn't happen.

I think this is the secret method for creating another Garrison so please don't

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Let's not create some antisemitic propaganda for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not doing squat; just strikes me as the sort of thing people on 4chan or reddit would do.

• Locked thread