Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

That doesn't sound horrible. The pics I saw made it seem like they were all those tiny surface mount capacitors

I think only the sound board is the one with surface mounts. Rest are pretty simple outside of one cap on the main board that's a bit tricky and cramped.

If you want a REAL MAN'S diy recap, do a Turbo Duo. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

How do you do all these config file edit btw? Just pop the SD card in your PC and navigate to it edit it and put it back in the Pi?

Best way is to use PuTTY to remote into the Pi, and then do "nano /etc/filename.cfg" or whatever (you may have to "sudo nano" if the file is protected). You'll get a basic DOS-like text editor that's pretty straightforward.

Also I recommend not going whole hog putting every game on because navigating even moderately-sized lists is cumbersome. You'll want to curate a best-of list and skip anything that doesn't work "perfectly" (i.e. not actually perfectly but good enough). Just finished retooling a Pi 1B.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

univbee posted:

Best way is to use PuTTY to remote into the Pi, and then do "nano /etc/filename.cfg" or whatever (you may have to "sudo nano" if the file is protected). You'll get a basic DOS-like text editor that's pretty straightforward.

Also I recommend not going whole hog putting every game on because navigating even moderately-sized lists is cumbersome. You'll want to curate a best-of list and skip anything that doesn't work "perfectly" (i.e. not actually perfectly but good enough). Just finished retooling a Pi 1B.

Oh well too late, transferring all the NES, SNES, and Genesis roms now, But I at least am transferring a 1 game 1 Rom, no non english rom set.

Should I ever really need to edit config files with a text editor in this Retropie 4.1 anyway? It seems friendly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Anyway, I got to play not only Tempest 2000 on a real live Jaguar at this place, but someone converted a Tempest cabinet to a Tempest 2000 stand-up machine with the spinner in place of the Jaguar controller. That was awesome. :toot:

They also had an X68000, FM Towns, MSX2, and every other console or Japanese computer under the sun set up with Trinitron monitors. I was so jealous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a heads up, there's a ton of retro stuff on sale on the PlayStation store this weekend. It's not concentrated on a few publishers or series, either, it's one or two games from a ton of series. Since I know everyone wants something cheerful, I'll point out specifically Katamari Damacy is on sale. And Neo Contra is the game you needed to play that you didn't know that you needed until I just told you.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played some consoles (everything from an NES to an FM Towns) at a convention today on Sony Trinitron and Panasonic monitors and I must have image quality that clear at home. What can I get on eBay as far as a CRT for consoles that isn't $600 or 200 pounds?

Alternatively, my dad has some model of Sony Wega CRT but it's both 30+ inches and 200 pounds.

LOL, a CRT that isn't 200 pounds in weight.

It all depends on what you have console-wise, what you want to do with it, and the screen size you're aiming for. If screen size is an important criteria (like, larger than 19"), then get a regular old CRT TV with component video inputs, and figure out how to adapt your hardware to that video format (since image quality is an important requirement, per your quoted post).

Otherwise, you can probably get a bog standard 19" Sony PVM of some stripe for less than $300, and a smaller one for $200 or less, and use its full RGB inputs. Note that the same "adapting" requirement still exists; you'll have to get SCART cables for your hardware and an adapter for SCART-to-BNC (or SCART-to-CMPTR if you're especially weird and get a PVM with that kind of RGB input). Also note that while most common game systems are friendly to the RGB type used in PVMs, vintage PCs that support RGB are kind of finicky beasts; the Atari ST doesn't play nice, for instance, so a mondo sized Atari color monitor is out of the cards unless you walk the pain road of converting its RGB video to something more common.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

What have I done

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What have I done

you bought a virtual boy at target

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jesus loving Christ

Donald Trump is going to be the president of the United States. People have nostalgia for the Virtual Boy. What's next, nostalgia for the N-Gage?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What have I done
ONE OF US

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Star Man posted:

What's next, nostalgia for the N-Gage?
Captain Rufus has this more than covered.

I got to play a NGage at PAX AUS. It's... strange. The word that kept coming to mind while playing it was "shoehorned". Everything was poorly shoved into the context of an old Nokia.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Captain Rufus has this more than covered.

I got to play a NGage at PAX AUS. It's... strange. The word that kept coming to mind while playing it was "shoehorned". Everything was poorly shoved into the context of an old Nokia.

Reported for posting :goatsecx:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Any cabinet nerds have any idea what could be causing this? Last time I played it I noticed some screen flickering but now it is an order of magnitude worse

:rip:

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
^^^ Looks like bad roms to me

Wamdoodle posted:

Reported for posting :goatsecx:

I ... I never noticed this :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What have I done

I played this at Free Play Florida too. I got about 3 minutes of Mario Tennis in before I wanted to puke.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

checksin posted:

you bought a virtual boy at target

Haha no I bought it at SC3, but yeah - at least it has the battery pack deal so it isn't tethered to anything.

And I got teleroboxer, so booya

Also got this thing

I also scored a PS2 from a dude I knew because my birthday was a couple days ago.

Lastly, I am still here at the event, but this cake is neat:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
gently caress I really gotta get my Virtual Boy and 3DO repaired.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Haha no I bought it at SC3, but yeah - at least it has the battery pack deal so it isn't tethered to anything.

And I got teleroboxer, so booya

Also got this thing

I also scored a PS2 from a dude I knew because my birthday was a couple days ago.

Lastly, I am still here at the event, but this cake is neat:

I had one of those Link statues as a kid. It was this one.

Through I thought it had the lizafos with it.

No longer have that, but I do still have my Mario doll from back then.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/797657984155455489

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Star Man posted:

I'd kind of like to play the N-Gage Rifts game sometime. I tried setting up an N-Gage emu a while ago, but the "emulator" was pretty much a Nokia development environment in Java and after about an hour of trying to make it work I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Star Man posted:

I am playing noted N-Gage game, Xanadu Next on Steam. Does that count? :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay so I was able to get a picture of the board, is there a way to tell if a rom is bad? Also, why the heck does his board have three different games on it

I found these in the bottom of it

Is there a guide for newbie cabinet owners somewhere? This thing came with my house and while I like it I was hoping to sell it to pay for a new PC

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm in luck! It seems that the local county government is redoing its television studios and all kinds of Sony video equipment is ending up on auction locally, including high-end Trinitron broadcast monitors. Just gotta hope one shows up again :ohdear:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Okay so I was able to get a picture of the board, is there a way to tell if a rom is bad? Also, why the heck does his board have three different games on it

I found these in the bottom of it

Is there a guide for newbie cabinet owners somewhere? This thing came with my house and while I like it I was hoping to sell it to pay for a new PC

The game has a service mode that tells you if the ROMs, RAM, and other parts are good or not. It looks like the board has been upgraded through a few different Golden Tee versions. They're all on the same hardware, just with different program ROMs. There should be a switch inside the coin door that puts the game in service mode. From there you can access the tests through a menu on the screen.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 13, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

The game has a service mode that tells you if the ROMs, RAM, and other parts are good or not. It looks like the board has been upgraded through a few different Golden Tee versions. They're all on the same hardware, just with different program ROMs. There should be a switch inside the coin door that puts the game in service mode.

I tried entering that but even the graphics in that mode are all messed up so I can't read anything. I was thinking maybe it was the video connection, but then maybe it is bad ROMs, which is why it has the spares in the little white box

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So it looks like I'm moving soon. I've got the 50 or so games I own stuffed into a bookshelf now, which is terrible since its so deep. What's the standard recommendation for a nice waist-level shelf for games?? Thinking I'll place some shelves under a window.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I tried entering that but even the graphics in that mode are all messed up so I can't read anything. I was thinking maybe it was the video connection, but then maybe it is bad ROMs, which is why it has the spares in the little white box

The ROMs in the box look like GT '99 and the board has GT Classic installed. It's either bad ROMs, bad VRAM, or some IC on the board went bad. A technician would be able to dump the ROMs with an EPROM reader and verify they match an authentic set.

If the video is scrambled in test mode, you'll need to fix it enough to make test mode work again. I'm not sure where the arcade community hangs out these days, it used to be RGVAC.

E: Looks like these guys diagnose and repair Golden Tee PCBs.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 13, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

The ROMs in the box look like GT '99 and the board has GT Classic installed. It's either bad ROMs, bad VRAM, or some IC on the board went bad. A technician would be able to dump the ROMs with an EPROM reader and verify they match an authentic set.

If the video is scrambled in test mode, you'll need to fix it enough to make test mode work again. I'm not sure where the arcade community hangs out these days, it used to be RGVAC.

E: Looks like these guys diagnose and repair Golden Tee PCBs.

Hmm good to know, he's pretty cheap too which is good. Thanks!

I'll take the back off and poke around at it tomorrow. I just noticed the plug doesn't have a ground stud for some reason so I wonder if the recent lightning storm did something to it or something. I know the area around the CRT is off limits due to high voltage but I'd like to see if I can spot something off

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If you can find the manual, there should be test points where you can check voltages with a multimeter to see if there's a problem with the power supply from a lightning storm. If you're good with electronics you can check things against the schematics too.

There's also the standard troubleshooting, see if there are any burnt or discolored components and make sure there aren't any ICs that get extremely hot when you turn the system on (both surefire signs that they're hosed).

You're fine poking around on the PCB, it's just the power supply and monitor that are dangerous because of high voltage.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 13, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Found this at a clearance store for $5.

I was with my brother and we spotted it at about the same time. "I have a cat named Samus!" he said to justify his having it.

"I bought Other M" I replied and got it.

What the hell is this even from?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Light Gun Man posted:

It's a Metroid :ssh:.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

wtf

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh, I don't know how many of you like Classic Game Room, but jesus that channel has suddenly gone to poo poo.

e: to clarify, I guess Mark has been going through some financial trouble or something, because he's been gating his full reviews behind Patreon, and on Youtube either only uploading small previews or deliberately making it look as garbage as possible. :smith:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 13, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

h_double posted:

I'd kind of like to play the N-Gage Rifts game sometime. I tried setting up an N-Gage emu a while ago, but the "emulator" was pretty much a Nokia development environment in Java and after about an hour of trying to make it work I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Same. I'd love to do an LP of the Pathway to Glory games or the Warhammer 40k one but the emulation ain't there. gently caress, I would rebuy them if they put em on Steam or Gog or IOS or Android. There are a few excellent games that made the machine worthwhile if you like good turn based games. Action oriented not so much though Colin McRae Rally was pretty drat good in 05. I wouldn't want to play it over say Dirt 3 on my PC with a Force Feedback wheel or anything mind you but...

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Tried out Neo Contra as suggested. I feel like I got enough value by just watching the opening cinematic.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hmm good to know, he's pretty cheap too which is good. Thanks!

I'll take the back off and poke around at it tomorrow. I just noticed the plug doesn't have a ground stud for some reason so I wonder if the recent lightning storm did something to it or something. I know the area around the CRT is off limits due to high voltage but I'd like to see if I can spot something off

The power supply (looks like this https://i.imgur.com/IRr2aJH.jpg ) should have a knob to adjust the 5v power. Adjust it and check the voltage with a multimeter. check on the +5v screw terminal first that it's at exactly 5v and then slowly increase to a max of about 5.2v as different boards draw different amounts of power.

edit: also make sure all the ROMs on the board are of the same game and are in the right places (look up an imgae of the board to find out where they go)

d0s fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 13, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played some consoles (everything from an NES to an FM Towns) at a convention today on Sony Trinitron and Panasonic monitors and I must have image quality that clear at home. What can I get on eBay as far as a CRT for consoles that isn't $600 or 200 pounds?

Alternatively, my dad has some model of Sony Wega CRT but it's both 30+ inches and 200 pounds.

Look around local thrift stores or Craigslist (I think this is the place for you US types where random people sell their stuff) or an equivalent site. You can probably get a good CRT for a bargain if you keep searching. Also you don't really need a huge CRT to enjoy retro gaming, I've personally found that a 20 inch monitor is the sweet spot for my setup - and my current 20'' PVM weighsonly 30 kg!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So uh, I don't know how many of you like Classic Game Room, but jesus that channel has suddenly gone to poo poo.

e: to clarify, I guess Mark has been going through some financial trouble or something, because he's been gating his full reviews behind Patreon, and on Youtube either only uploading small previews or deliberately making it look as garbage as possible. :smith:

:smith: that's unfortunate, I like that show and mark seems like a cool dude. Hopefully he can turn whatever this is around and right the intergalactic space arcade.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Tried out Neo Contra as suggested. I feel like I got enough value by just watching the opening cinematic.

I did not lie. Neo Contra really flew under the radar, but it's so much fun.

TeaJay posted:

Look around local thrift stores or Craigslist (I think this is the place for you US types where random people sell their stuff) or an equivalent site. You can probably get a good CRT for a bargain if you keep searching. Also you don't really need a huge CRT to enjoy retro gaming, I've personally found that a 20 inch monitor is the sweet spot for my setup - and my current 20'' PVM weighsonly 30 kg!

Don't overlook garage sales either. I've been given multiple CRT's because I went to one, saw a CRT that was a decent model, and asked about it. Admittedly the season has passed but the option is out there.

I was playing a bit of Gauntlet Legacy yesterday and I forgot that if you want to use a different character that you have to start over from the beginning and there's a ton of secret characters you unlock by playing the game. You really have to play the game in a group to avoid this. It's a lot of fun four player and even single player is good when you play it straight through, but the game is too long to make replaying from the start a requirement for using other characters.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He had a video up discussing how Youtube's monetization system has evolved to where his videos are no longer considered as profitable by YouTube's ad program. It benefits the quick videos that go viral or are clickbait. Basically said YouTube isn't the future of CGR, and it would be other means whether DVD sales or whatever. He should put his stuff in volumes and try out that upcoming Amazon service that will be for more polished stuff than YouTube and it's money model is based on views and dividing a set amount of money between the top X channels/videos each month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a Metroid :ssh:.

Man, I'd kill for one of those. They;re still like $60 on amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/Metroid-Nintendo-Action-Figure/dp/B00ST2AFOW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1479048918&sr=8-6&keywords=metroid

• Locked thread