Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Flicky's better.

hosed up

Miles McCloud posted:

GAME

POKEMON
cock version

5.79 on aliexpress TONIGHT ONLY.

a friend of mine recently got a copy of this and dumped it because it wasn't readily available online for some weird reason, and then i played through it on stream. it's very special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Medullah posted:

That's actually one I've tried with bad luck. :(

what problems do you have with it? it doesn't use xinput or anything weird and should work on a RPI with no issues

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Speaking of dumps, a Rockman X3 sample got dumped. :toot:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Miles McCloud posted:

GAME

POKEMON
cock version

Wha... what are the starters?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

but true

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Rirse posted:

What the best micro sd card for the Everdrive GBA? I ask since they had compatibility issues I recall.

Not sure about best I have an 8gb Kingston in mine which works fine. IIRC there was a version update that was meant to fix some compatibility issues but of course you need a working micro SD it update it :).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

plasticbugs posted:

Okay, I've figured out that it IS my TV. I've been playing through my Framemeister with heavy scanlines on, so I didn't notice it was doing this bullshit smoothing thing. It's a brand new TV and I suggest you all avoid it like the plague for retro gaming.

It's an LG OLED65B6P. gently caress this TV. Holy gently caress. If I had known, I would have returned it a month ago when we got it. I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for it. Even in "Game Mode" it's still doing this smoothing poo poo. I guess I need to call LG's customer service and figure out how to turn this "feature" off.

I know how much you paid for it. drat I have this TV at work so I might do some playing around with it next week and see if I can figure out how to turn it off. drat shame because it is the best looking picture I have ever seen on a flat panel.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Miles McCloud posted:

GAME

POKEMON
cock version

Got a link? This will make a good stocking stuffer for some friends.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

fastbilly1 posted:

Arcade stick, Wiimote, original Classic Controller, this thing:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/ns64gc_to_wiimote/index.php
or this one:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/genesis_to_wiimote/index.php

Depending on what game I am playing and if I feel like using the original controller.

Wow those are awesome, and if I hadn't gone down to one income due to being a new dad I'd grab a couple in a heartbeat!

I just remembered that i actually have 2 psx controller to wiimote adapters that I got an aeon ago. Those will probs be good enough in the short term.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

d0s posted:

what problems do you have with it? it doesn't use xinput or anything weird and should work on a RPI with no issues

It works, but the quality just feels shoddy and cheap compared to a genuine SNES controller. Though to be fair, I mostly used the NES versions. I'll dig it back out and play with it a bit.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Medullah posted:

It works, but the quality just feels shoddy and cheap compared to a genuine SNES controller. Though to be fair, I mostly used the NES versions. I'll dig it back out and play with it a bit.

that's really weird as I'm hugely :spergin: about controllers and found the SNES version specifically to be the best not made by nintendo I've used. the ones that look like famicom controllers not so much though. It does need a bit of breakin on the dpad so it doesn't feel so stiff but once you get through that it's fine

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

beaver_cheese posted:

Got a link? This will make a good stocking stuffer for some friends.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...0208.3.1.SsHjNU

It's in the list of colors. I couldn't resist grabbing one either.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Anybody else with an NES Classic experiencing shimmering on the 4:3 mode? Ugh it's glaringly ugly on my TV. CRT mode just looks like rear end so I'm stuck with pixel perfect mode to avoid triggering my inner sperg that hates non-integer scaling with a passion.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
for what it's worth I just bought Pokemon Cock Version for 3.79 on eBay :toot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-GBC...qQAAOSwcLxYHEsV

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Anybody else with an NES Classic experiencing shimmering on the 4:3 mode? Ugh it's glaringly ugly on my TV. CRT mode just looks like rear end so I'm stuck with pixel perfect mode to avoid triggering my inner sperg that hates non-integer scaling with a passion.

It looks to be a 6:5 stretch outputting at 720p, so there's no real way to avoid sub-pixel movement when the screen scrolls horizontally. (6:5 at 1080p would have been fine, why didn't they do that?)

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Caitlin posted:

for what it's worth I just bought Pokemon Cock Version for 3.79 on eBay :toot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-GBC...qQAAOSwcLxYHEsV

Awesome! I just ordered a few copies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It looks to be a 6:5 stretch outputting at 720p, so there's no real way to avoid sub-pixel movement when the screen scrolls horizontally. (6:5 at 1080p would have been fine, why didn't they do that?)

It's a cheap product where they apparently just wanted to be able to claim "HD" output, so of course they only do 720p.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Djarum posted:

I know how much you paid for it. drat I have this TV at work so I might do some playing around with it next week and see if I can figure out how to turn it off. drat shame because it is the best looking picture I have ever seen on a flat panel.

Yes, please let me know if you have any luck. Thanks. I played around with H and V sharpening, but that's as close as I got to making it only marginally better. There's a Super Resolution option, but toggling it didn't affect the smoothing issue at all.

Edit:
Also, I shamefully admit I waited in line for a NES Classic at Target for four hours (three of which were me by myself - a friend joined me out of pity at 6am). So if you really wanted one, you just needed to queue up for about 45 mins before the store opened. 10 mins before the store opened, the queue filled up and all the 21 available units and 1 controller were spoken for.

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 12, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Inspired by the lack of MES classics I have a Raspberry Pi 3b coming today. Do I need to do anything special to get wireless 360 controllers working with Retro Pie 4. I have the dongle.

P.S. I've never had a Raspberry Pi before so I'm going in blind.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yes, welcome to linux. It's a pretty easy setup for a gamepad though, to be honest.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I played some consoles (everything from an NES to an FM Towns) at a convention today on Sony Trinitron and Panasonic monitors and I must have image quality that clear at home. What can I get on eBay as far as a CRT for consoles that isn't $600 or 200 pounds?

Alternatively, my dad has some model of Sony Wega CRT but it's both 30+ inches and 200 pounds.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 12, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Literally nothing. Any CRT that's any good is going to be extremely heavy and pretty expensive unless something's throwing it on the sidewalk.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played some consoles (everything from an NES to an FM Towns) at a convention today on Sony Trinitron and Panasonic monitors and I must have image quality that clear at home. What can I get on eBay as far as a CRT for consoles that isn't $600 or 200 pounds?

Alternatively, my dad has some model of Sony Wega CRT but it's both 30+ inches and 200 pounds.

online? I wouldn't bother unless it is local pickup. I got mine at the thrift store. There are usually a ton on craigslist and whatever other local classifieds there are. Also, check out those other phone apps like Offer Up.

A 27" Trinitron is about 100lbs. 30"+ bumps up to 200lbs, some even closer to 300lbs.

You'll want a 20"+ because not as many <20" models have component inputs. I'd look for something with composite, s-video and component and try not to pay more than $40.

His WEGA might be ok, but you want it to be a standard SD CRT as some of the WEGAs did up to 1080i and aren't ideal for 240p consoles.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Elliotw2 posted:

Yes, welcome to linux. It's a pretty easy setup for a gamepad though, to be honest.

How do you do all these config file edit btw? Just pop the SD card in your PC and navigate to it edit it and put it back in the Pi?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Found this at a clearance store for $5.

I was with my brother and we spotted it at about the same time. "I have a cat named Samus!" he said to justify his having it.

"I bought Other M" I replied and got it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Luigi Thirty posted:

Lots of cheap/free consumer CRTs on Craigslist, at least in my area. Anything Sony or Toshiba with S-Video and/or Component inputs should be good! I would just look locally and not bother with eBay.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

How do you do all these config file edit btw? Just pop the SD card in your PC and navigate to it edit it and put it back in the Pi?

The easy answer is to plug a keyboard into your RPi, since it runs full rear end linux.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Bum the Sad posted:

Download putty and ssh into it.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/ssh

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Elliotw2 posted:

The easy answer is to plug a keyboard into your RPi, since it runs full rear end linux.

Gotcha. It's looking like I can also see the comfy files and poo poo in windows on the network? As in the Pi should show up as a network drive.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Bum the Sad posted:

Gotcha. It's looking like I can also see the comfy files and poo poo in windows on the network? As in the Pi should show up as a network drive.

You can navigate to it in Windows Explorer by going to \\192.168.x.x or whatever its ip on your network is. Don't think you can access everything that way though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

d0s posted:

I like the buffalo USB SNES controller, best non-nintendo one I've used by far.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E

d0s posted:

So upon digging it up, it turns out that I don't have that particular one. Though Amazon showed I ordered it, it appears I actually got this one. Reviewing my 2 year order detail it was sold by a third party so yay for me not noticing.

I ordered the Buffalo one, it does look to be reviewed better than the Retrolink one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 8bitdo ones are seriously the best choice you can probably get, and you get the choice of wireless or wired, and xinput support.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

plasticbugs posted:

Yes, please let me know if you have any luck. Thanks. I played around with H and V sharpening, but that's as close as I got to making it only marginally better. There's a Super Resolution option, but toggling it didn't affect the smoothing issue at all.

No problem. That TV for being as nice as it is has some weird issues out of the box. I had to spend drat near 4 hours to get the colors to look anywhere near accurate. It amazed me how bad LG let that thing go out of the box.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"I'm getting to be decent at soldering. Maybe I should think about repairing that Game Gear I have. It likely just needs capacitor replacement. I'll take a look at a guide and--"

:stare:

I've actually soldered a dozen or so capacitors that small , but that doesn't mean I want to do it for fun.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

Literally nothing. Any CRT that's any good is going to be extremely heavy and pretty expensive unless something's throwing it on the sidewalk.

you can get a fantastic 27"+ trinitron wega with component input at just about any thrift store for like under $50 all day long

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

The 8bitdo ones are seriously the best choice you can probably get, and you get the choice of wireless or wired, and xinput support.

Ah the rabbit hole of emulation. Years ago I built a HTPC for emulation and Plex. Then the Chromecast came out and my laziness kicked in.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

hot sauce posted:

Which fighting games have the best reward/unlockables system? The best one I can think of is any Super Smash Bros game, where characters and stages are unlocked through specific gameplay. I also remember thinking Marvel vs. Capcom 2 had a reasonable system for earning in game currency to unlock new characters.

I really enjoyed unlocking stuff in Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, but that was entirely for customization items like hats and little animals. Still, the quest system made me the best I was ever going to be at VF, to the point that it and Soul Calibur were banned from game night because all I did was win. I still gots my muscle memory for Jacky and Akira.

Christ I miss having enough free time to master a fighting game. :smith:

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

"I'm getting to be decent at soldering. Maybe I should think about repairing that Game Gear I have. It likely just needs capacitor replacement. I'll take a look at a guide and--"

:stare:

I've actually soldered a dozen or so capacitors that small , but that doesn't mean I want to do it for fun.

I recently recapped my Game Gear with a console5 cap kit and it wasn't too bad. Since the old caps are laying on their side, I just used side-cutters on the legs above the pads and twisted the caps off. Then I wiped the legs off with the iron, cleaned the pads, trim new cap legs to length, tinned the pads so that the new cap legs just flow to the pads while the cap is on its side like the original.

Time consuming, sure but as long as you cut above the pads, pretty low risk.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I have a Majesco Game Gear, so I get to trade not needing to re-cap it (yet) for being unable to do a TV out mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alucardd posted:

I recently recapped my Game Gear with a console5 cap kit and it wasn't too bad. Since the old caps are laying on their side, I just used side-cutters on the legs above the pads and twisted the caps off. Then I wiped the legs off with the iron, cleaned the pads, trim new cap legs to length, tinned the pads so that the new cap legs just flow to the pads while the cap is on its side like the original.

Time consuming, sure but as long as you cut above the pads, pretty low risk.

That doesn't sound horrible. The pics I saw made it seem like they were all those tiny surface mount capacitors

• Locked thread