Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think either Trump or Melania care about Slovenia though. Now, they could offer Trump the crown of Slovenia, I think that would get his attention.

His Imperial Majesty, President Trump of America and the Territories, King-Emperor of Slovenia, Defender of Christendom and Sovereign of the West.

And then he announces his intent to reform the Holy Roman Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If Trump guaranteed continued NATO protection some Eastern European states might be ok with calling him King in exchange...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Senor Dog posted:

Is there one stable, democratic, well-functioning state bordering the med?

Malta maybe (only because I know nothing about it)

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Portugal as been slowly digging itself out of the hole but the combination of austerity and weaker than expected economic growth as started to show this year.some public sectors have been hit hard like public transportation and emergency services.still better than 2010-2015 so

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Unfortunately Portugal doesn't have a Mediterranean coast.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mikl posted:

Chances are very good!

To make a very long story short: Renzi's government made a law to change how Parliament works, which according to everybody is a Very Important Thing that was way overdue. The only problem is that the law involves changing the constitution, so it either 1. must be voted by a supermajority of MP, or 2. must be confirmed through a popular referendum. Renzi doesn't have a supermajority in Parliament, so in comes the popular referendum!

The public doesn't like Renzi very much, mostly because he's doing unpopular things which must be done to save Italy's economy. (Also, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but that to be fair goes with the job description.) Also, most of the public is unable to understand that voting yes or no in the referendum DOES NOT EQUAL A VOTE ON THE GOVERNMENT.

Renzi has confirmed multiple times that he will resign if the NO side wins the referendum, which seems very likely right now. And with the current electoral law (which were recently re-written with the post-referendum Parliament in mind, and are horrible when applied to the current one) it will be nigh-impossible for whoever wins the next election to govern the country, likely leading to months, if not years, of political deadlock while the economy and the country go to poo poo.

Well, that wasn't very short at all was it? Let's try again: it's gonna be Brexit 2.0.

I seem to recall the referendum polling really well until Renzi tied his fate to the result. Honestly the moment that happened he should've revoked his pledge to resign if it failed.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

YF-23 posted:

I seem to recall the referendum polling really well until Renzi tied his fate to the result. Honestly the moment that happened he should've revoked his pledge to resign if it failed.
I really like the fact that this referendum was originally supposed to make Italian political life less insane.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

doverhog posted:

If Trump guaranteed continued NATO protection some Eastern European states might be ok with calling him King in exchange...

Count Eric Trump of Wallachia.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He looks like a B movie alien.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jesus, now for some reason i expect "South Asian royalty" level of crazy stupid private humiliating video to filter in the press about him in the next years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

YF-23 posted:

He should have instead pledged to resign if it succeeded.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Pissflaps posted:

Unfortunately Portugal doesn't have a Mediterranean coast.

Thanks fishmech.

That five star policy-by-online-poling sounds like a hilarious clusterfuck but I'm wondering if theres isn't something that can be learned there in terms of constituency engagement.some of the municipalities and councils here in Portugal have their own websites and forums where residents can learn and discuss and propose measures to be applied in their neighborhoods.granted most of the time it devolves into stupid partisan bickering or sheer "my neighbours sidewalk is prettier than mine" idiocy but sometimes good stuff come out of there too. One example is dedicated buses for the elderly and people with reduced mobility that picks them up at the door and have close routes directly to a medical center or social security offices.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Thanks fishmech.

That five star policy-by-online-poling sounds like a hilarious clusterfuck but I'm wondering if theres isn't something that can be learned there in terms of constituency engagement.some of the municipalities and councils here in Portugal have their own websites and forums where residents can learn and discuss and propose measures to be applied in their neighborhoods.granted most of the time it devolves into stupid partisan bickering or sheer "my neighbours sidewalk is prettier than mine" idiocy but sometimes good stuff come out of there too. One example is dedicated buses for the elderly and people with reduced mobility that picks them up at the door and have close routes directly to a medical center or social security offices.

The people are too ignorant to rule themselves, also water is wet.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
France likely to extend state of emergency: PM

quote:

"It is difficult today to end the state of emergency," Valls told BBC television as France marked exactly one year since the November 13, 2015 jihadist
attacks that left 130 people dead.

"Especially since we are going to begin a presidential campaign in a few weeks with meetings, with public gatherings. So we must also protect our democracy," Valls added in the interview with the BBC's HARDtalk programme.

"Besides, this state of emergency device allows us to make arrests, administrative checks which are effective... So yes, we are probably going to live a few months more with this state of emergency."

How predictable.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
hey remember how Hollande literally said that his government used the state of emergency to crack down on protests? like, he said that, on the record, and it was published in a book that people can buy and read

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ElNarez posted:

hey remember how Hollande literally said that his government used the state of emergency to crack down on protests? like, he said that, on the record, and it was published in a book that people can buy and read

The arrests and administrative checks that Valls says at effective were primarily used to harass random Muslim families in the first few months after the Paris attacks. It got bad enough that the minister of the interior had to remind police authorities to follow the law. They were also used against environmentalist protesters ahead of the Paris climate summit. Working as intended.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The state of emergency is also useful to get police, gendarme and military forces to do more work without increasing their numbers. Never mind that it's not sustainable on the long term and that it has already resulted in a police strike a few weeks ago.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Salvini is trying really hard to sell the "Italian Trump" angle.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I mean, Berlusconi came before Trump.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We don't call them the Italian Yakuza either.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Torrannor posted:

I mean, Berlusconi came before Trump.

berlusconi is really the blue print for how trump ended up working.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doc Hawkins posted:

We don't call them the Italian Yakuza either.
Give it a year, and Hitler will be the leader of the German Republicans.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Who's this Fillon guy, you French goons never mention him...
http://www.fujirumors.com/french-presidential-candidate-stops-interview-asks-fujifilm-x-t2-ends-photographing-journalist/

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

The funniest thing about Salvini is that he tried to get Trump's endorsement, and he managed to meet him in person. Immediately after Trump denied that he ever met him, probably because Trump realized that Salvini is an even bigger scumbag than he is and that you should never associate with someone like that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

An rear end in a top hat. Possibly even slimier than Sarkozy.

I Love Annie May posted:

The funniest thing about Salvini is that he tried to get Trump's endorsement, and he managed to meet him in person. Immediately after Trump denied that he ever met him, probably because Trump realized that Salvini is an even bigger scumbag than he is and that you should never associate with someone like that.

Or he possibly just completely forgot about him, or at least didn't remember the name, because Trump is a senile old man.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 13, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Prime Minister under Sarkozy, candidate for the Right's primary, all the poo poo economic policies of the right with a touch of the old social conservatism (by which I mean, back in the day he voted against decriminalizing homosexuality). He is a real poo poo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

(by which I mean, back in the day he voted against decriminalizing homosexuality).

Wow he's really old, I didn't know he was around during the Revolution.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What is LePen's stance on NATO and the Drench nuclear deterrent?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
NATO: she doesn't like it, she sees it as something that weakens France's military by making it dependent, logistically and politically, on the USA.
Nuclear deterrence: she likes it and wants it to remain strong; is afraid NATO will weaken it or try to control it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So foreign policy De Gaulle 2.0?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

70 years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As the resident Merkel fan, I welcome this development.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

So foreign policy De Gaulle 2.0?

Much more Russian-friendly than de Gaulle ever was.

To be honest, assuming she does become President, I doubt she could pull ou of NATO. At most do a repeat of history and move out of integrated command without actually leaving the alliance. The military just couldn't function without NATO, and it would be just too expensive to pay the bill for all the extra capability required to be fully independent and still get to protect all our territory (including :frogsiren: the largest EEZ of the world :frogsiren:) as well as meet our defensive engagements in various African countries.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

As the resident Merkel fan, I welcome this development.

Oh, yeah, me too, it's just that 1) should Le Pen really win Merkel will be really alone and 2) while I don't think the CDU will lose in 2017, 2016 has really made you wonder.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Wow he's really old, I didn't know he was around during the Revolution.
No it was the public indecency charge, not "the gay go to the stake" law the revolution get ride of. His excuse for refusing to remove it was poo poo("the all powerful left of 1981 was pummeling us with economics laws, we needed to oppose everything!" nothing like gay bashing to regain some rightwing morale i guess).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 14, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
in France news: we're five days away from the primary and Ziad Takkiedine is baaaaack. And now he's straight-up saying that he brought to Sarkozy and his trusty underling Claude Guéant three briefcases filled with five million euros in total from Gaddafi, to pay for Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign. He says he's also gonna tell the story to the judges.

full video here,

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

ElNarez posted:

in France news: we're five days away from the primary and Ziad Takkiedine is baaaaack. And now he's straight-up saying that he brought to Sarkozy and his trusty underling Claude Guéant three briefcases filled with five million euros in total from Gaddafi, to pay for Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign. He says he's also gonna tell the story to the judges.

full video here,

Christmas is early!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
He's gonna have to double down on the "Islam and French fries" rhetoric.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

full video here,

Sarkozy For Prison 2016! Lock Him Up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Sarkozy For Prison 2016! Lock Him Up!

A policy platform we can all get behind.