Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I can't tell if that's a knockoff but the original fried rice omelette comes from the Pearl Harbor Bowling Alley grill. They are even better than they look.

90% of living in Hawaii is knowing where you're commuting between, and when. Peak traffic is some of the worst in the world. For a year I bicycling the 14 miles from the heart of Waikiki to Pearl each morning, I was doing it in under an hour easily and almost always beat traffic. (Plus bikes don't have to deals other awful parking) Traffic is in my opinion the main consideration for quality of life in Oahu.

So if you're working mainly in/near K-bay live in Kailua. If you work in pearl live in Kailua. If you're working near Schofield or that stupid bunker (It's probably this one) You're kinda out of luck since living near work means driving an hour to get to anywhere major. (Granted, its Hawaii, everything is two hours from everywhere, as long as you stay away from the dread corridor of H1 Traffic.)

I still visit every year even though I'm not there anymore. You will either wind up knowing a ton of people or be an anti-social shutin. Easy choice to make imo

Its a 21 mile bike ride from where im looking to live to ft shafter. I dont really think ill be biking that, ill just leave for work extra early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

no bones about it posted:

Its a 21 mile bike ride from where im looking to live to ft shafter. I dont really think ill be biking that, ill just leave for work extra early.

Ft Shafter is nice because its right off the Like-Like (Pronounced Leaky Leaky) highway across the mountains. If you try to live to the west or south you're in hell. (the immediate south has plenty of appartments that aren't bad, but its mostly overpacked single or double family houses) Liliha and Nuuanu are close neighborhoods that are in the mountain valley and generally have great views, especially from some of the more cliff-face houses.

But Like-Like is a strait shot across the mountains meaning you can live on the windward side. Kaneohe has some nice parts, and some great waterfront properties. Five minutes east of that is Kailua, which is seriously the best place to live on island.

Aiea heights is also not a bad choice, I lived there for a year and a half. Its close enough to Shafter that you never have to get on H1 (You take back roads and 201), and pretty central without being in Honolulu.

E2; 21 miles is extreme, since even just 16 miles puts you either in Hawaii-Kai, Milliani, or Ewa Beach/Barbers point, which means you touch H1, don't touch H1, thats the only rule. Touching H1 instantly doubles/triples/quadruples any commute time, I am not being facecious about that. Use google maps to play with your depart at time, the rush lasts hours and the traffic turns blood red.

Edit 3!;
Just for reference for other potential Hawaii people: There is a pretty good division between the good areas and the bad areas, in Honolulu itself it can do a full 180 and back again in two blocks.

But disregarding the city the areas are pretty much rankable for niceness:
1) Lanikai
2) Leahi Park
3) Kailua
4) Hawaii Kai
5) Ewa Beach/Barbers Point (which granted is itself a big area)
6) Kahala
7) Oceanside parts of Kaneohe

Lanikai and Leahi Park are multi-million dollar homes, and Ewa Beach, Kahala and Hawaii Kai are an hour commute on H1 unless you work in their immediate vicinity. Leaving Kailua and Kaneohe favorites for people who don't want to live in Honolulu.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 12, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Ft Shafter is nice because its right off the Like-Like (Pronounced Leaky Leaky) highway across the mountains. If you try to live to the west or south you're in hell. (the immediate south has plenty of appartments that aren't bad, but its mostly overpacked single or double family houses) Liliha and Nuuanu are close neighborhoods that are in the mountain valley and generally have great views, especially from some of the more cliff-face houses.

But Like-Like is a strait shot across the mountains meaning you can live on the windward side. Kaneohe has some nice parts, and some great waterfront properties. Five minutes east of that is Kailua, which is seriously the best place to live on island.

Aiea heights is also not a bad choice, I lived there for a year and a half. Its close enough to Shafter that you never have to get on H1 (You take back roads and 201), and pretty central without being in Honolulu.

E2; 21 miles is extreme, since even just 16 miles puts you either in Hawaii-Kai, Milliani, or Ewa Beach/Barbers point, which means you touch H1, don't touch H1, thats the only rule. Touching H1 instantly doubles/triples/quadruples any commute time, I am not being facecious about that. Use google maps to play with your depart at time, the rush lasts hours and the traffic turns blood red.

Edit 3!;
Just for reference for other potential Hawaii people: There is a pretty good division between the good areas and the bad areas, in Honolulu itself it can do a full 180 and back again in two blocks.

But disregarding the city the areas are pretty much rankable for niceness:
1) Lanikai
2) Leahi Park
3) Kailua
4) Hawaii Kai
5) Ewa Beach/Barbers Point (which granted is itself a big area)
6) Kahala
7) Oceanside parts of Kaneohe

Lanikai and Leahi Park are multi-million dollar homes, and Ewa Beach, Kahala and Hawaii Kai are an hour commute on H1 unless you work in their immediate vicinity. Leaving Kailua and Kaneohe favorites for people who don't want to live in Honolulu.

The punchbowl kinda looks like the ghetto, dude.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

no bones about it posted:

The punchbowl kinda looks like the ghetto, dude.

Parts of it sure, it's a bit better in the hills. (Edit; for example check 395 Puiwa rd, top of the hill. I had three guys living there. Beautiful place, but their neighbors were a police captain and a friend of the governors so they racked up about $3k in excessive noise fines, until one time they finally just got got called out for "Inciting a riot." Not really, just a big party, but that was their last party and they moved out at the end of their lease) Most of the residents are middle income locals unless the demographics changed a lot in the last few years. It's at a nice price point. Don't be discouraged with the amount of visible poo poo in people's yards and garages, it's a thing that locals do. Even the richer ones. They horde. And I've always suspected visually they do it to keep white people from wanting to move into an area, but they do it in legitimately poor trashy areas too so I have no idea.

Some other Hawaii goon has to be around to back me up when I say: Kailua or bust. Good food, lot of retired people. Easy walk/bike ride to a few nice beaches. Little traffic.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 12, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Some other Hawaii goon has to be around to back me up when I say: Kailua or bust. Good food, lot of retired people. Easy walk/bike ride to a few nice beaches. Little traffic.

The whole windward side is chill as hell and H3 is a surprisingly traffic-free way of getting around compared to H1 or H2.

I'd ride Kam Highway for miles before taking H2, even if I had to go to Schofield. If I had to go to Schofield, I'd start rethinking my life decisions.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 12, 2016

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

hogmartin posted:

The whole windward side is chill as hell and H3 is a surprisingly traffic-free way of getting around compared to H1 or H2.

I'd ride Kam Highway for miles before taking H2, even if I had to go to Schofield. If I had to go to Schofield, I'd start rethinking my life decisions.

H2 is super traffic free compared to H1.
If for some dumb gently caress reason i need to be down at pearl, hitting the H2 interchange means it's home free.

Kam highway is a fuckfest since the light rail construction ( which will never finish) shut down all kinds of lanes through pearl city and Aiea.

Hawaii traffic murders your soul. Leaving early isn't an option unless early is 330 am. Because the roads are hosed by 5am.

For reference: I'm in LA on leave right now. The 405 with election riots moves better than normal H1

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Laranzu posted:

H2 is super traffic free compared to H1.
If for some dumb gently caress reason i need to be down at pearl, hitting the H2 interchange means it's home free.

Kam highway is a fuckfest since the light rail construction ( which will never finish) shut down all kinds of lanes through pearl city and Aiea.

Hawaii traffic murders your soul. Leaving early isn't an option unless early is 330 am. Because the roads are hosed by 5am.

For reference: I'm in LA on leave right now. The 405 with election riots moves better than normal H1

Yeah when I lived there I had a place up in the Valley of the Temples and my commute was maybe 15 minutes to base daily. H3 and Windward side are the way to go. My truck there would overheat if I tried to take the H1 in the evening commute because it sat for so long.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Kane he Kailua uber alles. Even if you have to hit the H1 from the 3 you are usually good to go as long as you're not heading to Honolulu. I seriously miss HI every day it is awesome

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I lived in Waikiki and worked at pearl harbor. My place was just under 13 miles from base. Mornings there was no traffic because I shot to arrive around 5:30 to beat the gate traffic. At most 20 minutes from start to parked. Driving home ranged from around 45 minutes on the best day to over three hours on valentines day 2012.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Miss Hawaii every day.

Lived near Chinatown in the Capital Place tower overlooking the Capital. Just outside of Chinatown is awesome and has some great restaurants nearby, everything is easily walked or biked too from there also.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I was going to recommend diving with Ocean Concepts, but it looks like they're gone now, along with Sea Breeze on Hickam and Keo's in Waikiki :(

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
Any corpsmen/medical officers have experience with an EMF? My POMI called me in last week for an emergency overseas screening because I'm being platformed to an EMF, but no one I work with has any idea.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hogmartin posted:

I was going to recommend diving with Ocean Concepts, but it looks like they're gone now, along with Sea Breeze on Hickam and Keo's in Waikiki :(

Sad news. I got my first open water cert through them. Island Divers is pretty great these days though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Sad news. I got my first open water cert through them. Island Divers is pretty great these days though.

I burned like 60% of my westpac savings at Ocean Concepts: 1st and 2nd stage plus gauges, Knighthawk BCD with the built-in emergency 2nd stage, wetsuit, mask, snorkel, Suunto wrist computer, knife, Twin Jet fins, the whole kit. They had fun, affordable dives, with a plate of sandwiches when you came back up. Too bad they're gone. I still have all the stuff, I should go make sure it's not rotted or rusted and the batteries haven't leaked out of anything.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 13, 2016

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

Any corpsmen/medical officers have experience with an EMF? My POMI called me in last week for an emergency overseas screening because I'm being platformed to an EMF, but no one I work with has any idea.

Depends on your rank as well as any specialties you have. If you're a 0000 Corpsman, the experience may be very different from an 8485. If you're a doctor it might change too. I've never been on one, but I've picked the brains of people that were in self-preparation for an EMF that never came.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
I'm an 8506 E4. I was told it existed and given no other information.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

I'm an 8506 E4. I was told it existed and given no other information.

I have no idea what a lab tech would do, I'll look around and see if I can find something for you.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

I have no idea what a lab tech would do, I'll look around and see if I can find something for you.

They're the folks that process/analyze piss/poo poo/bodily fluids and do component/chemical analyses.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

They're the folks that process/analyze piss/poo poo/bodily fluids and do component/chemical analyses.

Yeah, but this might differ from some of the duties you see shore in comparison to being out somewhere. Instead of telling the doctor what the patient's symptoms are and the doctor deciding the medication, they might have you straight up prescribing things and reporting it later on whenever you're able to. It's how some corpsmen get in trouble giving out SIQ chits when they end up on shore duty. You're not supposed to do it, but on deployment in some locations you're the only one that has the training to even give the medical opinion for it.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
So they ended up getting three more people from my division to go with me. No word on when or where, but I'm really hoping this comes through for me. I need to get out of this loving hospital.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I'm glad I'm out. In two months, Boots are going to Great Lakes and RDCs are going to be making them learn their Chain of Command with The Honorable President Donald Trump at the top, and every single installation will have his smug orange face on the top picture.

Still have to work at Corry Station tho'.

Hahaha

Oh poo poo. In 30 years there's going to be a USS DONALD TRUMP Carrier

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Vriess posted:

I'm glad I'm out. In two months, Boots are going to Great Lakes and RDCs are going to be making them learn their Chain of Command with The Honorable President Donald Trump at the top, and every single installation will have his smug orange face on the top picture.

Still have to work at Corry Station tho'.

Hahaha

Oh poo poo. In 30 years there's going to be a USS DONALD TRUMP Carrier

And it will be yuuuuuugggggeeee

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Booblord Zagats posted:

And it will be yuuuuuugggggeeee

and probably still a Ford-Class.

Hahaha. GERALD FORD-Class Nuclear Aircraft Carrier USS DONALD TRUMP

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:trumppop:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Vriess posted:

Maybe they'll do what they did with the George H.W. Bush and have it be some transition class....

Or they'll just slap a bunch of gold pant on it and call it a win.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Vriess posted:

We really have the best aircraft carriers don't we folks?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Hey do you navy guys mind answering some questions for me? I'm writing a book, and I'm trying to figure out how command structure works on a ship carrying (transporting?) a company of marines. It's an almost incidental part of the thing and I guess I could make some stuff up but I think it would bother my OCD if I didn't do it at least marginally correctly.

My question is, what is the command tree on board a ship engaged with or on the way to combat? I know the marines and navy are mostly separate, even while underway, and I'm pretty sure the captain can give orders to anybody, but after that I dunno. How does the marine structure integrate with the navy structure? Or do they just avoid talking to each other the whole time? And does it change depending on the situation? Like if a ship is boarded or hijacked or something, does marine command suddenly take precedent over navy?

I didn't see a general GIP question thread so if this is the wrong thread for this let me know.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Hey do you navy guys mind answering some questions for me? I'm writing a book, and I'm trying to figure out how command structure works on a ship carrying (transporting?) a company of marines. It's an almost incidental part of the thing and I guess I could make some stuff up but I think it would bother my OCD if I didn't do it at least marginally correctly.

My question is, what is the command tree on board a ship engaged with or on the way to combat? I know the marines and navy are mostly separate, even while underway, and I'm pretty sure the captain can give orders to anybody, but after that I dunno. How does the marine structure integrate with the navy structure? Or do they just avoid talking to each other the whole time? And does it change depending on the situation? Like if a ship is boarded or hijacked or something, does marine command suddenly take precedent over navy?

I didn't see a general GIP question thread so if this is the wrong thread for this let me know.

Here you go, knock yourself out.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Sweet, thanks!

edit: poo poo, it is situational. I might have to kill some people off.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 18, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Also note that answering questions like that by pointing someone toward a 200 page document full of jargon to the point of being borderline gibberish is a time honored Navy tradition, if you're going for realism in your book.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
:lol:

By the way, I'm legit concerned for what our military looks like in 4 years. The neo-cons that populated Bush's cabinet are NOT the same people that are currently filling Trump's team, not by a long shot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I want to applaud you on your attention to detail, research dedication and commitment to realism for your Navy-Marine homosexual erotica thriller you're writing

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Boon posted:

By the way, I'm legit concerned for what our military looks like in 4 years. The neo-cons that populated Bush's cabinet are NOT the same people that are currently filling Trump's team, not by a long shot.

Rumors abounding lately about Mattis for SecDef, but who knows.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Boon posted:

^^^
:lol:

It would probably take another 9-11 terrorist attack or a nuke going off somewhere to get us to invade a country again. And at that point it doesn't matter who got elected president.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hogmartin posted:

Rumors abounding lately about Mattis for SecDef, but who knows.

That would be a great choice, so not a snowball's chance in hell.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

It would probably take another 9-11 terrorist attack or a nuke going off somewhere to get us to invade a country again. And at that point it doesn't matter who got elected president.

I'm thinking more along the lines of culture - which will have a long lasting impact. For instance, I'm actually really proud of the culture in the Navy generally. I would absolutely abhor it if we moved closer to the culture of the Marine Corps. All it really takes is a few rule changes and some piss poor civilian leadership that can't be ousted for it to happen.

I recently gave a brief on the Navy for a bunch of civilians for a Veterans day Q&A, so... fun facts! Did you know that of all the services the Navy most closely resembles the ethnic demographic makeup of the nation? It's not even close. Also, while all branches are deeply underrepresented by women the Navy has been a leader in this arena as well.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 19, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sir Lucius posted:

The GOP has a hard on for Iran tho

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The GOP has a hard on for Iran tho

Iranian women are pretty hard on inducing.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
For those goons on the out can you give me lessons learned on the DD214 drafting/approval process?

When I was discharged from enlisted service to attend USNA my DD214 was all messed up and I had no say or awareness of the process. I had to submit a DD215 to get some stuff added and even that was done because a kind admin gentleman at the academy fought it on my behalf.

I just want to make sure everything that I've earned and done is properly documented before I get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

For those goons on the out can you give me lessons learned on the DD214 drafting/approval process?

When I was discharged from enlisted service to attend USNA my DD214 was all messed up and I had no say or awareness of the process. I had to submit a DD215 to get some stuff added and even that was done because a kind admin gentleman at the academy fought it on my behalf.

I just want to make sure everything that I've earned and done is properly documented before I get out.

I just had documentation for everything. So I would get any papers and stuff, evals/fitreps you might view as important etc., supporting what you'd like added in if it were missing. Luckily for me the lady that did my dd214 was close to people at the hospital so getting certain documents from the YNs was easy as hell. Maintain all your copies of poo poo, even awards.

• Locked thread