Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, there's assumption they get some staff back after FF15 launches but basically half that team is international so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

I'm not sure, lore wise, how they would cram in another race if Stormblood is all about the Ala Mhigo.

They were able to shoehorn in the Au-ra despite the heavensward storyline having basically nothing to do with them.
Would be easy to say "here's some already subjugated population from the eastern borders of the Empire that Garlemald brought in to displace the alamhigans"

Nill fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 13, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't think we need a new race.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

An easier-to-implement option would be to split hyurs into officially two races (since as far as character models and animations and so on go, they basically already are, unlike the other races), and give each of them a new secondary appearance skin.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

and then split those hyurs into more hyurs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My wife when I explained Balmung to her: "It feels like a characteristic of those behind in their developmental growth."

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
your wife talks like a hosed up idiot even if what she's saying is true

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vil posted:

An easier-to-implement option would be to split hyurs into officially two races (since as far as character models and animations and so on go, they basically already are, unlike the other races), and give each of them a new secondary appearance skin.

highlanders, lowlanders, midlanders, leftlanders

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

My wife when I explained Balmung to her: "It feels like a characteristic of those behind in their developmental growth."

You really ought to just buy your wife her own account, considering that most of your posts here and in other threads are letting people know what your wife thinks or what your wife is doing.

Nobody gives a poo poo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nill posted:

They were able to shoehorn in the Au-ra despite the heavensward storyline having basically nothing to do with them.
Would be easy to say "here's some already subjugated population from the eastern borders of the Empire that Garlemald brought in to displace the alamhigans"

While HW didn't have anything to do with them, the 2.X storylines were building up to Au Ra quite strongly. We haven't had anything like that at all in the post release HW storyline.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

yo posting a stealth "I have sex" post in the ffxiv thread is cool

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

your wife talks like a hosed up idiot even if what she's saying is true

She's a psychology grad student focusing primarily on with people with autism.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stop posting about your wife Mordicius.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
new races in FFXIV feel weird since alts are basically worthless so you don't really have a stable of characters like you do in other MMOs. you'll just never see them unless you pay the real money

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mordiceius posted:

She doesn't exist.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Your nonexistent wife can't even get an easy burn on the concept of MMO RPers.

Pretty sad, IMO.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

lol, as if they don't all already work for them or a competitor. They need to do more international hiring, but JP games gonna JP.

I'm not sure, lore wise, how they would cram in another race if Stormblood is all about the Ala Mhigo.

Au Ra have zero relevance to Ishgard. They could add playable moogles in 4.0 and it'd be more relevant to the game than Au Ra are.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Verranicus posted:

She doesn't exist.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Your nonexistent wife can't even get an easy burn on the concept of MMO RPers.

Pretty sad, IMO.

Is this an injoke Im not privy to?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Verranicus posted:

I feel like the official forums have been worse than usual lately. Multiple threads begging for Viera to be added on the front page, multiple threads asking for bulge/butt sliders on character creation on the front page.. we need some trivial news to shake things up, this is what happens when things get stagnant.

they should implement bulge sliders but not butt sliders just so I can see the rage

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Splash Attack posted:

they should implement bulge sliders but not butt sliders just so I can see the rage

Remove breast physics to allocate them to accurate Roe ballbag simulation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Splash Attack posted:

Just once I wish I could see an MMO that embraces the natural truth of the world that Cute Boys >>>>> Cute Girls.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

She's not married to you, she is studying you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So is Alisaie a red mage now?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mordiceius posted:

So is Alisaie a red mage now?

Gladiator according to ACT.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
What did Thancred register as before Rogue was a thing?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ostinsibly, Gladiator. It's the default animation set and is reflected in DoHes and DoLs using the same.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
shtola is my wife and she said people on balmung suck

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ah. So then she's probably our first look at a red mage.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. So then she's probably our first look at a red mage.

That's how the end of 3.4 read to me, as well. Gonna laugh real loud if their equipment is actually a book, though.

(YoshiP pls don't make Arcanist split 3 ways pls pls pls)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My girlfriend absolutely cannot beat Foulqes as a level 30 Lancer. I'm trying to figure Lancer out, but every guide is either dated or useless. I don't understand what a lot of these abilities are for - why would she ever use Impulse Drive, for instance, over the True/Vorpal/Full rotation? Likewise, what is Heavy Thrust for? What's the best time to use piercing talon, and what for? When should she use her other GCDs? What's the best way to heal as a Lancer?

I just find every DPS class completely baffling to play. Healing makes sense to me. DPS is just a crazy mess of arcane formulas and abilities that all appear to be identical.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

please knock Mom! posted:

shtola is my wife and she said people on balmung suck

As someone who plays on Balmung, this checks out.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

FactsAreUseless posted:

My girlfriend absolutely cannot beat Foulqes as a level 30 Lancer. I'm trying to figure Lancer out, but every guide is either dated or useless. I don't understand what a lot of these abilities are for - why would she ever use Impulse Drive, for instance, over the True/Vorpal/Full rotation? Likewise, what is Heavy Thrust for? What's the best time to use piercing talon, and what for? When should she use her other GCDs? What's the best way to heal as a Lancer?

I just find every DPS class completely baffling to play. Healing makes sense to me. DPS is just a crazy mess of arcane formulas and abilities that all appear to be identical.

Gonna teach you some things as a level 60 Dragoon main. In order: You don't use Impulse Drive if you have the Full Thrust combo until you can use Impulse Drive > Disembowel and you only use that to keep the debuff up that Disembowel gives when combo'd, Heavy Thrust increases how much damage you do with the buff it gives you so you use it whenever that buff is about to fall off, Piercing Talon is a ranged attack so you only use it to pull enemies from afar or if for some reason you can't get close to them. Use Phlebotomize whenever it's not on the enemy as it's a rather strong DoT. For healing you've got Potions, Bloodbath from Marauder, and Second Wind from Pugilist.

or to sum it up: Do not use Impulse Drive at level 30, use Heavy Thrust whenever you don't have the buff, don't use Piercing Talon in basically all situations, when you get Phlebotomize you want it up most times as it does more damage than a combo'd Full Thrust in total. For Foulques in particular remember to -stay out of the ice puddles-, those do major damage. If there's any adds that I don't remember make sure to kill them first too. If they haven't yet, they definitely want to pick up some levels in Marauder and Pugilist to get Second Wind, Internal Release (Both Pugilist), and Bloodbath (Marauder).

Cirina fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 14, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think she gets Phlebotomize from this quest, so she doesn't have it yet. It's not in her Action menu.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Heavy thrust gives you a +15% damage buff. This should always be up first and kept up at all times.

Piercing Talon is a ranged attack that you should never use unless you can't get close for some reason (like dodging or needing to pull from range).

Impulse Drive eventually links into your second 3-hit combo. You don't get the second part until level 38 though.

Level PGL for Second Wind for a self-healing cross-class skill.

Use Life Surge immediately before a comboed Full Thrust for best effect.

General advice: Always make sure you're doing something. Mash your next GCD during the GCD cooldown to make sure it goes off ASAP. A lot of people do really bad DPS (and therefore die because they can't kill things quickly enough) because they're just not DOING anything.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

the key things to that fight is to never stand in the frost on the ground and to not get hit by any of the AOE markers, use full thrust with life surge when you can and he should really not take you below 90% HP

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lancer is honestly one of the worst mishmash of abilities really, it's got some stuff that it doesn't really use at all, like Keen Flurry and Piercing Talon. A lot of jobs suffer this to some degree (although the tank/healing jobs have less wastage), it's just that Lancer gets the real dumping ground for a lot of them.

If you're just starting out on DPS, easiest jobs to pick up are Archer and Pugilist. Archer is very fluid with no strict rotations (at least until post-52), while Pugilist's gameplan barely changes other then getting in more oGCDs, so it's pretty easy to adapt growing in levels.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think she gets Phlebotomize from this quest, so she doesn't have it yet. It's not in her Action menu.

I editted some stuff into my previous post, I couldn't remember when you got Phlebotomize but brought it up as you asked about other gcds.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Impulse Drive is useless until you get the rest of that combo, so the True rotation is the way to go. Heavy Thrust gives you a buff that increases the damage you do by 15%, so you want to do that first and then reapply it whenever the buff is close to falling off. Piercing Talon isn't really useful for much apart from pulling enemies away from groups. Feint is entirely useless and should be removed from the hotbar.

At level 30 Lancer's only oGCD worth noting is Life Surge which guarantees a crit on your next physical attack. It should always be used right before Full Thrust as part of a combo since a combo-ed Full Thrust has the most potency of any LNC/DRG attack, barring some fuckery with Blood of the Dragon and Jump that only applies at like level 54.

As far as healing a Lancer/Dragoon can cross-class Second Wind from Pugilist and Bloodbath from Marauder. Lancers and Dragoons are squishier than their armour makes them look though, so you may need potions for the quest battles.

They can also get Foresight from Marauder which is a defence buff. These skills are all low level and she'll need MRD at 15 for Dragoon anyway. Also get Internal Release from Pugilist for higher crit rate.

tl;dr Keep Heavy Thrust up and use True/Vorpal/Full Thrust, with Life Surge right before Full Thrust whenever it's available.

edit: My post is inadequate and poorly timed, as fits a Dragoon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

She beat him, btw. Turns out her equipment was wildly underlevel, and her bars were all kinds of hosed up. She had like random items and poo poo in there for no reason, IDK what even happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

Feint is entirely useless and should be removed from the hotbar.
Why? Doesn't parry reduce uh... damage you take? Or something? It never comes up for SCH.

• Locked thread